• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Week 11 - The Civil ConFLiCT

Renegade

Charge on!
Does it even matter? Nobody outside the top 4 matters.

On one hand, you're right. On another, when trying to build a program and expand the fan base, getting ranked higher (and fairer) matters. It matters for recruiting, ticket sales, program perception, etc.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Does it even matter? Nobody outside the top 4 matters.

It certainly matters in getting to the top 4.

Also, as a general question for the class, which 2 loss team would you have ranked highest? Thanks, and I'll hang up & listen.

-YTC

Brick

I started watching College Football Live and the rankings show last night and just couldn't do it. All of these people talking about how Wisconsin isn't a lock if they go undefeated because they aren't one of the "best" is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. If they were branded Ohio State or Michigan it wouldn't even be brought up.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I started watching College Football Live and the rankings show last night and just couldn't do it. All of these people talking about how Wisconsin isn't a lock if they go undefeated because they aren't one of the "best" is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. If they were branded Ohio State or Michigan it wouldn't even be brought up.

They're a lock if they go undefeated, but their schedule is awful so far. They play Iowa and Michigan the next two weeks, who are both probably top 25 teams, and then they'll play a good team in the championship game. It's a better question of what happens if they have one loss. I hope they get left off with one loss even if they win the Big Ten. Schedule a power 5 team out of conference.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
They're a lock if they go undefeated, but their schedule is awful so far. They play Iowa and Michigan the next two weeks, who are both probably top 25 teams, and then they'll play a good team in the championship game. It's a better question of what happens if they have one loss. I hope they get left off with one loss even if they win the Big Ten. Schedule a power 5 team out of conference.

It's kinda hard to blame them for BYU being historically awful this year. Normally, that would be a much better OOC game.

-YTC

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
Y'all are too easy

SEC.jpg

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
It's kinda hard to blame them for BYU being historically awful this year. Normally, that would be a much better OOC game.

-YTC

Considering they're missing Penn State, Michigan State, and Ohio State from the east, they should have scheduled a better slate than Utah State, Florida Atlantic, and BYU. BYU is a decent non power 5 team, but you're rolling the dice on scheduling any team from a non power 5 conference and expecting them to be good.

Brick

Also, as a general question for the class, which 2 loss team would you have ranked highest? Thanks, and I'll hang up & listen.

-YTC
They're pretty much impossible to distinguish at this point. But if we're talking pipe-dream playoff contention, the teams that have embarrassing and/or blowout losses would be out for me: (tOSU against Iowa; Wazzu against Cal; USC against ND; MiSt against Northwestern; VT no-shows against Miami/Clemson; Mississippi State against Auburn/UGA).

That leaves Penn State who lost two close games on the road to tOSU, MiSt. Auburn lost close on the road to LSU and was within a score of Clemson. Oklahoma State (I guess) at home against TCU/OU.

Probably:

1. Franklin's Deplorables
2. Auburn
3. Oklahoma State

Fuck the rest.

Brick

I couldn't care less what their schedule is like if they win 13 straight including a power five CCG. Have they lost at home (with the best QB in history against a first time QB) to Iowa State or lost to fucking Syracuse?

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
They're pretty much impossible to distinguish at this point. But if we're talking pipe-dream playoff contention, the teams that have embarrassing and/or blowout losses would be out for me: (tOSU against Iowa; Wazzu against Cal; USC against ND; MiSt against Northwestern; VT no-shows against Miami/Clemson; Mississippi State against Auburn/UGA).

That leaves Penn State who lost two close games on the road to tOSU, MiSt. Auburn lost close on the road to LSU and was within a score of Clemson. Oklahoma State (I guess) at home against TCU/OU.

Probably:

1. Franklin's Deplorables
2. Auburn
3. Oklahoma State

Fuck the rest.

I tend to agree with you about the embarrassing/blowout losses being a deal breaker. It's why I really miss the BCS. A loss to Pittsburgh/Syracuse/6 loss VT should eliminate you from any possibility of playing for a national championship.

-YTC

Brick

Michigan State
They suck ass. Have won every Big Ten game by one possession. They're a 3 or 4 loss quality team. I hate this version of Penn State on this site more than anyone. But even if you want to argue the game against MSU wasn't a fluke, Penn State matches up better with just about everyone else and they have kicked the shit out of a couple good teams.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
I feel confident that if Miami and/or Wisconsin win out, they'd get in. The question then is who would be the 4th team, assuming either Bammer or Georgia go undefeated?

Renegade

Charge on!
I feel confident that if Miami and/or Wisconsin win out, they'd get in. The question then is who would be the 4th team, assuming either Bammer or Georgia go undefeated?

If Georgia beats Bammer, Bammer gets in. If Bammer beats Georgia, Georgia gets in. What else is there?

Last edited:

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I couldn't care less what their schedule is like if they win 13 straight including a power five conference CCG. Have they lost at home with the best QB in history to Iowa State or lost to fucking Syracuse?

Did you read what I wrote? "They're a lock if they go undefeated."

Brick

Did you read what I wrote? "They're a lock if they go undefeated."
Yes. I'm just being mad.

Also ND is a lock to get in over any other one-loss team with the exception of Clemson and obviously Georgia. Maybe even Clemson, because they're ND. Media is already talking about Oklahoma giving up 50+ to Oklahoma State and losing at home to Iowa State. No way they'd vault TCU above ND. Plus all of the old crusties in the committee are probably shook by BAKER as much as I am.

Last edited:

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Yes. I'm just being mad.

Have you looked at their schedule? It's so bad. They won't play anybody rated over 20 in S&P until the conference championship game. Their best opponent so far is Florida Atlantic. It's like an AAC or MWC schedule.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Why?

-YTC

SC got their doors blown off by ND, has zero quality wins, and has looked like dogshit half the year. Auburn is pretty much guaranteed two more losses. Mississippi State got shit on in both their losses. OSU just lost by 31 and they can settle who’s better this week anyway.

Brick

Have you looked at their schedule? It's so bad. They won't play anybody rated over 20 in S&P until the conference championship game. Their best opponent so far is Florida Atlantic. It's like an AAC or MWC schedule.
Yes I have. I'm not talking about current rankings or schedule. By the time the season is over they would have wins over Iowa, Michigan, and a highly ranked East team. That is not like an AAC or MWC schedule. Also ND would get in over undefeated Wisconsin, no doubt. Maybe that has something to do with why ESPN is having this conversation already. Planting those seeds. Now that they can't possibly put Ohio State in.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
They suck ass. Have won every Big Ten game by one possession. They're a 3 or 4 loss quality team. I hate this version of Penn State on this site more than anyone. But even if you want to argue the game against MSU wasn't a fluke, Penn State matches up better with just about everyone else and they have kicked the shit out of a couple good teams.

I thought it didn’t matter if you won, Mr. Wisconsin

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
I mean, I don’t know why it matters so much who the best two loss team is, but MSU certainly doesn’t blow. They have a top 10 defense and better wins than most.

Brick

It really doesn't matter at this point. The only two-loss team that has a great chance to get in the playoff if they run the table (and something like 2007 doesn't happen) is Auburn.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
It absolutely matters at this point, because there's still a lot of football left. There's going to be some real chaos that's coming, and these questions need to sort themselves out now before it comes.

-YTC

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Also, Michigan State beat Iowa by a TD whereas Penn State barely won. Oh, and MSU beat PSU just this last week. But they KICKED THE SHIT out of some good teams.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
In fact, I'll go ahead and say that we are gonna have 4 Power 5 conference champions with 2 losses: B1G, ACC, Big XII, and Pac 12.

-YTC

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Also, Michigan State beat Iowa by a TD whereas Penn State barely won. Oh, and MSU beat PSU just this last week. But they KICKED THE SHIT out of some good teams.

I have no problem with MSU being ahead of PSU, but this statement is really dumb. Because we can play that same game with Northwestern, who Michigan State lost to while PSU KICKED THE SHIT out of NW.

-YTC

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Yes, I agree, Brick’s argument is retarded.

You know who Penn State lost to? MSU. Case closed.

wkdxv_medium.gif

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
Let's hope that Auburn beats bammer and georgia and then loses to Georgia in a rematch in the SECCG. Then Bammer and Georgia will still get in as 1 loss teams and I can watch all of you go to the 9mm cafe.