• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

USA National Soccer (M & W) Thread

NML

Gold Cup provisional roster is out. No Geoff Cameron.

Don't get that... He had a couple mistakes at the World Cup, but was largely great alongside Besler (who's also been MIA for a while but is on this list).

Lol at Alan Gordon making it.

NML

Did some digging and it looks like he is still recovering from an injury so Stoke doesn't want him to push it. He's signing a new contract, so that's fair.

Danny Williams isn't on there either, and I believe it's also a club issue. I'm glad the Ibarra experiment is over, he's no bueno.

I am buying into Jordan Morris though. He's impressed me every time I've seen him. I bet Sounders are wishing they hadn't low balled him this winter now. He gon get paid.

NML

I only listened to the first half, but sounds like we defended pretty well, Guzan came up big a couple times, and we took advantage of our chance. Bradley continues to be a boss.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
hacksaw_jim_duggan_ted_dibiase_mid_south_wrestling.jpg

chibob

Looked more like Germany vs Germany - Timothy Chandler (Frankfurt) John Brooks (Berlin) Fabian Johnson (Munich) Daniel Williams (Karlsruhe) Morales (Berlin)

Larry Fitzgerald

Megan Rapinoe is the glue for this team. She keeps putting the ball on a tee for the strikers and forwards; they just can't finish. People doubt whether or not the US can win the World Cup without Hope Solo, but without Rapinoe they barely make the knockout rounds.

NML

Building off what I said in the international thread, we did get a look at some prospects for the full national team, and probably a handful who will compete at the Olympics next summer. Quarterfinals appearance is solid, and if you look at that squad from 2007 when we did it last, you'll notice the individuals (while a lot of players flamed out already): Bradley and Jozy.

Also, considering the last four U20's, the results were: group stage, didn't qualify, group stage - this is a nice result too. Here's how I'd sort this crop...

Full NT members soon: Rubin, Hyndman
- These two are pretty easy, as they've both been capped already. Rubin in particular had a good tournament, even though in three of the five games, he didn't see much of the ball. Hyndman can really control a game. Could use 15 pounds doe.

Full NT members in a couple years: Steffan, CCV, Miazga, Zelalem
- This is a good size group for a U20 squad. Steffan had a phenomenal tournament and I'll stick my neck out a bit and say he's the Olympic keeper in front of Cropper and Horton (unless they use an overage player). He may even be the guy in qualifying. This whole crew probably makes the team in the fall. CCV is only 17, but he had a great tournament. Miazga is physically dominant and did a really good job staying aware and keeping his head on a swivel for a youngster, JAB should take notes. Could be better on the ball. Zelalem we've talked at length - just needs to get quicker on the ball.

NT pool players: Payne, Acosta, Arriola
- Think Zusi and Beckerman. Guys who will contribute at various levels over their career. Payne is pretty new to the U.S. pool so I'm not super familiar with him, but he showed really well at right back. Acosta played a somewhat new position at left back and was just okay. I preferred him at holding mid, but it'll be interesting to see where he ends up playing. Arriola has some nice skills on the wing and a great shot.

Fringe prospects: EPB, BJ4, Tall, Thompson
- EPB I did not see much of in qualifying or this tournament, but what I did see wasn't great. He's mostly on this list because of what I've heard. The two forwards both had decent showings, although both left the tournament with injuries. Thompson was delegated to the bench for most of the actual WC, but I really liked him in qualifying.

Pro's, but not NT quality: Moore, Delgado, Allen, Sonora, Requejo, Donovan, other two keepers
- It's fairly telling that the worst of this cycle's squad are players who have already contributed at the pro level. Wasn't impressed with any of these players over this tournament or qualifying.

Like I said, a good cycle. A handful of players will contribute at the full NT level, and that's really what it's all about. Could see quite a few of these players as part of the Olympic squad, which is a pretty below average group. Qualifying is in October.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Good chance the US plays Columbia in the Round of 16. Columbia will be using their back-up keeper since their starting keeper is suspended for the next match due to yellow card accumlation.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Does anyone care? Would rather see Morris out there. Deuce is old