• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Travis7401's 2050 Regular Season Awards Thread

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
So, based on a cumulative WAR for the whole league, the hypothetical "Replacement" team gets you 46.4 wins, on average, just FYI.

Table is submitted for your viewing pleasure. It is sorted by total wins, and playoff teams are highlighted green. Poor Berlin.

20200137849_9fedfc7ee4_b.jpg

*$/WAR - This was calculated as (Team Salary - Full team replacement cost (25x490k)) / Total WAR, since hypothetical "Replacement" players would still cost 490k each

*Corch wins - This was calculated as Actual Wins - (WAR + 46.4) - Pythag (luck). WAR+46.4 is the portion statistically attributable to the players statistical performance, Pythag is the # of wins attributable to luck? and the rest is pure coaching?

Based on this, I give the 2050 South League BTT Manager of the Year Award to MR MANAGER. This is obviously pretty masturbatory, but I think making the playoffs with the lowest payroll in the league, a rash of injuries throughout the season, and the Curse of Haswell means Mr. Manager deserves it.

Based on this, I give the 2050 North League BTT Manager of the Year Award to @Wendell Gee*. You made the playoffs while having the lowest payroll of the North League Playoff teams and you contributed 5 Corch wins to the cause.

The 2050 North League TANKEE Award goes to @Mr. Radpants! The 1-1 draft pick is all yours, you traded away your best players at the deadline, and you will be corching the North League TROG STARS!

The 2050 South League TANKEE Award goes to @bruin228 for baking the cookies of discontent and accumulating an entire roster of players by trading away a cursed player. You get to Corch the South League TROG STARS!

*North League was tough, as there were many good managers. Gave the nod to Wendell for making the playoffs, but should also mention:
@Yankee151 earned 10 corch wins, but didn't make the playoffs. A worthy accomplishment

@Rutgers Mike earned 4 corch wins and was highly competitive in the incredibly tough North League with a payroll only 53% of the team that finished directly above him. A worthy accomplishment.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Catchers (looked at all players who started 40+ games) Players are only eligible for one award this year!
20381613342_59edfa951e_b.jpg

North League Best Bat - Pei Wong of Moscow wins the award for the second straight year. Awesome .326 AVG with 36 HRS. Was also a great glove as well!

North League Best Glove - Johao Guia of Amsterdam 3.9 ZR and EFF of 1.012 made him a very solid glove this season. Also a minimum value player as well!

North League Best Value - Mark Floyd of Lisbon was a minimum salary player who put up a solid 2.0 WAR season, expect lots more in the future from this 24 year old.

North League TROG STAR - Jeremy Frank of Lisbon wasn't very expensive at $750k, but that -0.8 WAR makes him the TROG STAR. Good news is that Mark Floyd has obviously replaced him!

South League Best Bat - Gabel Vis from Buenos Aires didn't have the best batting average at .269, but he walked 92 times to get his OBP up to .394. Also hit 35 doubles

South League Best Glove - Rob Stares of SF - Our budget award winner from last year is back leading all catchers in fielding with 4.6 ZR and 1.164 EFF

South League Best Value - Claudio Montes of NDR burst onto the scene as a promising 22 year old with a 2.2 WAR season despite only appearing in 115 games. Expect more from him!

South League TROG STAR - Miguel Rodriguez of NDR wasn't even a -WAR player, but he was replaced by the younger Montes and only put up 0.2 WAR and didn't hit well at all. Not worth $3.5M​

Last edited:

osick87

Community Liaison
Vis also was pretty solid defensively. Only took him 3 yrs to figure out how to play for the Gauchos

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I think one of the nicest things about doing this is that I can see what people are typically paying at each position for good production. Most of the top Catchers are in the $10-15M range but ol' Pei Wong is a steal at $5M/year

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
I think one of the nicest things about doing this is that I can see what people are typically paying at each position for good production. Most of the top Catchers are in the $10-15M range but ol' Pei Wong is a steal at $5M/year
Robert Maurice at 3 Million wasn't so bad either.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
That was a OOTP15 extension... His extension that kicks in next year significantly raises his price (and is one of the reasons Bish looks like he will be a FA).

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
First Base (looked at all players who started 40+ games) Players are only eligible for one award this year!
20396349821_4e3ffabeb7_b.jpg

North League Best Bat - Frederic Carrier of AMD had a pedestrian year by his standards, but still good enough to lead all 1B in WAR. Close to 1.0 OPS, 45 HRs and a good glove to boot (would be the glove star as well if multiple awards were allowed.

North League Best Glove - Jorge Orozco of LIS, despite being a -WAR player due to a .215 batting average, did put up some impressive fielding numbers at 4.8 ZR and 1.032 EFF

North League Best Value - Besin Inonu of LV had an awesome season, finishing second only to Carrier in WAR. He provides a complete bat and a unique base-running skillset for a 1B (leader in R and SB). All that production from a minimum salary player is pretty awesome!

North League TROG STAR - Brendon Brodbeck of Dublin joins his manager on the Trog-Star team. -0.8 WAR at $4M/year. Only hit .240 and 5 HRs

South League Best Bat - Cesar Sanchez of BUF is your SL best bat had a solid .322 Average and walked a 1B leading 85 times for an OBP of .414. Also stole 22 bases but was caught 23 times... @Lloyd Carr might want to adjust his player strategy for this guy to up that percentage.

South League Best Glove - Mario Baez of KW lead all 1B with a ZR of 5.7 and also had a nice EFF of 1.063. KW also had a listed 1B named Dan Barnes who played some 1B but spent most of the year at DH. THATS A BAD @Gooksta for not switching him to DH for 1 sim to help me out.

South League Best Value - Aniq bin Zaki of LRM put up a 1.2 WAR season while on minimum salary. At 25 years old, this is a player I'm sure @bruin228 is excited to have for years to come.

South League TROG STAR - Dat rigger Ruff Ridha fell back to Earth (and further) this season and is your SL trog star. Hit .229 and only contributed 10 HRs this season. Struck out in almost 1/3 of his ABs, lol. -0.7 WAR at $4 M /year. WOOOF

Last edited:

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
lol, I copy/past the previous post so I don't have to edit formats. Sometimes stuff slips through :laughing:
There is a couple "catchers" in there haha. Find and replace brotha.

I know know bruin was actually trying to trade Zaki. He has a nice group of 1B.

doh

I had a guy similar to Ridha... Benny Jones in '47 hit 37 HR with a 2.8 WAR. Ridha last year was 42 with 2.7 WAR. '48 for Jones: 15 HR, 0.2 WAR. This year for Ruff Ridha: 10, -0.7. Very similar profile guys too.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Second Base (looked at all players who started 40+ games) Players are only eligible for one award this year!
20396349751_3f52d237bb_b.jpg

North League Best Bat - Ricardo Alonzo from AMD was the best player in the WBL this season and I want him investigated for roids! Hit .368 average, OPS over 1.0, scored 156 runs batting in 117. He also stole 68 bases and was a positive on defense as well. Amazingly well rounded performance

North League Best Glove - Duanne Langille of LIS was the NL glove star with an astounding 11.6 ZR and a nice EFF of 1.036

North League Best Value - Ronald Riggs of MOS once again earns the value award for the NL. His hitting was down a bit from last season, but he's still an extremely well rounded player with a good complete bat in a position where that is pretty rare.

North League TROG STAR - Sae Won Chang of SEO is your NL TROG STAR. He actually had a slightly positive WAR at 0.3, but he was a pretty big liability in the field and didn't hit well enough to make up for it. At $11.5M/year that's not what you are paying for. For reference, the LOATHSOME CREATURE DOUGLASS TAGG finished at 0.8 WAR and he pays Mr. Manager to allow him anywhere near the team.

South League Best Bat - Rick Montgomery of FB wins this for his second year in a row. Even more impressive, he's also a minimum value player. .313 AVG and 32 HRs from a position where it is hard to find a good bat. Isn't the best defender, but that bat really does make up for it. At only 25 years old, the SL is going to be dealing with him for a long time.

South League Best Glove - Chad Childs of KAB is the best glove with a ZR of 9.0 and an EFF of 1.033. He's also a minimum value player as well and very well rounded with a good bat and good base running skills to go along with superb defense.

South League Best Value - AThe SL is stacked with min value players at 2B putting up great numbers and Brady Thompson of KW joins the bunch this year. He has a very high average bat and when he gets on base he causes real problems with his base stealing. Racked up 42 steals in less than half a season.

South League TROG STAR - I award this to both HONG and Al Conner of SF as the rare double headed TROG STAR. They combined abysmal defense (HONG) with abysmal hitting (Conner) to do nothing right. $6.7M for a total production of -0.6 WAR. Once again, for reference, the LOATHSOME CREATURE DOUGLASS TAGG finished at 0.8 WAR...​

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Shortstop (looked at all players who started 40+ games) Players are only eligible for one award this year!

19769259943_7ba9e177b5_b.jpg

North League Best Bat - Maresuke Noda from SEO, for the second year in a row, is a wonderful player who combines one of the very best bats at the position with outstanding defense. Would also be a Glove star if allowed multiple awards

North League Best Glove - Rodger Jones of LV put up an outstanding ZR of 9.1 and an EFF of 1.046. Extra impressive since he only started 113 games and ZR is a cumulative stat. LV actually has 2 SS listed that both started over 100 games, so I'm guessing one of them primarily played a different position. Oh well.

North League Best Value - Tomas Gonzales of Istanbul had the 2nd highest WAR in the league at SS and is only 24 years old and on minimum salary. He's also a rare mix of power/bat and good defense at the SS position. Yankee has a real winner here!

North League TROG STAR - Dani Gonzalez of Moscow wasn't all that horrible, but -0.4 WAR and a $900,000 salary was enough to win the Trog Star award because the NL SSs are generally so good.

South League Best Bat - Romao Gigante of FB, for the second year in a row, wins the best bat for SL. He lead SSs with 28 HRs and had the highest OPS of any SS at 0.876. Like Montgomery at 2B he isn't a horrible defender, but he is slightly negative. FB have the best hitting MIF of any team in the SL but having both players be - on defense at two of the most key defensive spots is interesting.

South League Best Glove - Joe Kirk of KAB lead the SL with a ZR of 7.5 and an EFF of 1.026. Not the flashiest player around, but his defense is really pretty great.

South League Best Value - Yasin Bin Nazeh of KW gives them both of the Value Star awards for the MIF spots. You can see what KW is planning on building around. Yasin Bin Nazeh isn't the greatest defender, but he's another really high average bat and when he gets on base he steals at a high rate, with 53 stolen bases this season.

South League TROG STAR - Sisto Cavlacanti of CAI is your SL Trog Star. He combined poor defense with a .220 batting average to end up at -1.0 WAR and a price tag of $3.3M/year

Last edited:

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Ping is always the outsider.

He's just really good at everything, but my system doesn't reward that quite as much if there are players with better bats or better gloves.

The thing I really like about ping is that even though he doesn't hit a lot of HRs he still has a really nice "power" component to his bat due to all of his extra base hits. .452 SLG for a dude with only 5 HRs is pretty dang impressive, and it's due in large part to the fact that his 45 doubles/triples was the most in the NL. (Tsao has 49 and Garce 48 in SL). I know you hit him leadoff because you have a ton of power and good hitters on your team. But if you didn't, even hitting him 2nd or 3rd would allow him to rack up a ton of RBIs with his "power."

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
He's just really good at everything, but my system doesn't reward that quite as much if there are players with better bats or better gloves.

The thing I really like about ping is that even though he doesn't hit a lot of HRs he still has a really nice "power" component to his bat due to all of his extra base hits. .452 SLG for a dude with only 5 HRs is pretty dang impressive, and it's due in large part to the fact that his 45 doubles/triples was the most in the NL. (Tsao has 49 and Garce 48 in SL). I know you hit him leadoff because you have a ton of power and good hitters on your team. But if you didn't, even hitting him 2nd or 3rd would allow him to rack up a ton of RBIs with his "power."
Pretty sure 5 HR is a career best for him. Might be his best slugging year too. To me he is made for the lead off spot, but he and Razor are probably interchangeable at 1 and 2.

Plus he steals a bunch of bases. He didn't steal at a great rate this year, but he turns a lot of singles and walks into doubles. And this year a lot into outs :laughing:

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Yeah, your team is so stacked that leadoff is the perfect spot for him, but I was more just amazed that he isn't really as limited to that role as I thought he was. He really could hit 2 or 3 spot for most of the league.

doh

Velasquez played SS vs LHP and a bit vs RHP. Jones played SS vs RHP mostly at the end and 3B vs LHP.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Third Base (looked at all players who started 40+ games) Players are only eligible for one award this year!

20381613502_9641e4e34a_b.jpg

North League Best Bat - Chris McBride - AMD A complete player who has success at the plate, on the base paths, and in the field... all on minimum salary as well. He's only 23, so I don't expect him to hit his peak for another decade anyway. About the time he hits 33 years old he should really start rolling like Zo

North League Best Glove - Jeffery Eglinton - IST with 11.6 ZR and 1.044 and he needed every bit of that defensive prowess to be a positive player, because he hit .203 average.

North League Best Value - Fernando Rivera - BER. Not the best in the field, but he had a solid season hitting and contributed over 50 stolen bases

North League TROG STAR - Ron Cooper IST. -1.6 WAR woof even though he was only $690k. Yankee is the extra bonus trog star at this position because Hugo Yacizi - IST was also listed as 3B, but I assume he played DH most of the season and yankee is just a petulant little shit and didn't help me out by switching his position for this sim. Don't worry, Yankee I'm on to you and Yacizi will get his just desserts as DH trog star. What a drop off from this guy, went from being an honorable mention best bat last season to being this year's trog star, albeit not at 3B. Yankee better hope he snaps out of it or he's really screwed hisself with $16.7M/year.

South League Best Bat - David Lopez of KAB was last year's best glove and this time around he's the best bat. A well rounded bat with .307 AVG, .355 OBP, and .483 SLG and he once again contributed some positive defensive work as well.

South League Best Glove - Aiden Axford of CAI is this year's best glove with a ZR of 9.2 and Eff of 1.043. A bright spot for an @fignuts Cairo team that generally struggled

South League Best Value - So this was a bit of a shit show. The "best" min value listed 3B in the SL was Marco Eirosa from NDR at -0.3 WAR. I'm calling an audible and re-listing Douglass Tagg as 3B and awarding it to him since he played much better than Eirosa and replaced him as starter 3B anyway. Tagg started 42 games at 3B for the riggers, so he does meet the minimum requirement. The Loathsome creature started the season in AAA and was pressed into duty as a utility infielder due to injuries to Launay and Cez. He eventually earned a starting spot at 2B and then subsequently moved over to 3B when Launay returned. Most of his value came from defense. Douglass Tagg proves that even the most loathsome WBL creature has a place in this world.

South League TROG STAR - Artyom Chekomasov of Kabul is your trog star, even though he isn't very exciting. Looks like a utility guy who ended up with -0.4 WAR and only made 750k. There were a lot of bad minimum value players at this position, but not a lot of players that were bad and highly paid.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I dont know that mcbride will continue at this level. I was amazed he didnt struggle at all. If only dani gut could kick it into gear. He hits way better when osick sims so maybe next year is his year

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
Skeeter's no trog star. I knew his defense would be bad this season, he went from a 0 rating at 2b to a 50 in September. I wish there was a monthly view for fielding stats.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Right Field (looked at all players who started 40+ games) Players are only eligible for one award this year! This position has a lot of players listed, so I'm guessing a lot of them really played other positions. Oh well, I award them as listed.

20202196818_6e6ddbae37_b.jpg

North League Best Bat - Jamie Robles of MOS was your best bat, for the 2nd year in a row. A well rounded player with a complete bat who adds base running skills and above average defense. A nice season

North League Best Glove - Leon Rivera of LIS put up an incredible season in the field for the 2nd year in a row, with +25.8 ZR and 1.149 EFF. So far this is the best fielding season I've seen!

North League Best Value - Dani Gutierrez of AMD is your budget star with a good bat and awesome defense.

North League TROG STAR - Dmitr Vajarov of AMD is your North League Trog Star. -0.3 WAR a big liability in the field and he made $2.6M

South League Best Bat - Fred Smith of SF, last year's budget award winner takes the top bat award this season and is still a minimum salary player. On OBP of 0.401 and OPS of 0.972. Fielding was less of a problem than last year too

South League Best Glove - Miguel Chavez was last year's best bat winner and this year he adds a best glove award to the mix. The SL didn't have the fielders of the NL, so ZR of 5.2 and EFF of 1.047 were enough. He also had another great season hitting the ball as well.

South League Best Value - Jason James of KW was the best minimum salary player in the SL. Not a flashy season in any one area, but he did enough to accumulate 1.6 WAR

South League TROG STAR - @bruin228 saved Haswell from winning this award by signing Adrian Gutierrez who is our first repeat trog star! (last year at CF). Once again, he managed to combine atrocious fielding with below average hitting and a salary of over $10M/year. I now have high hopes of him winning a 3rd trog star award in a row since he's with LRM!

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Center Field (looked at all players who started 40+ games) Players are only eligible for one award this year!

20202141550_8bc9f45aa4_b.jpg

North League Best Bat - Jean Luc Lopez of HEL wins a close match over Dermott McHeshi of LV. I give the nod to Lopez because of the higher OBP and 51 SBs

North League Best Glove - Quincy Lips of LIS shows that @Schauwn has amassed quite the fielding outfield ZR of 11.7 and EFF of 1.044. Most of his guys look like they should be able to play all 3 outfield spots as well, so he's going to have a pretty sweet defensive setup for years to come (oh and they also hit well).

North League Best Value - Stuart Binning of MOS wins for the 2nd year in a row and looks like a well rounded young player who managed 2.2 WAR at only 23 years old. Good bat and good defense as well show a lot of promise

North League TROG STAR - Not much to pick from here... the worst was Bill Mahoney of SEO but he was only -0.2 WAR and only cost like $780k. Hardly a super TROG STAR like his SL Compatriot

South League Best Bat - Tin Jong Tsao of BA wins for a second year in a row. 49 doubles/triples combined with 33 HRS make him a formidable hitter. Defense slid a little this season but is still very positive.

South League Best Glove - Hubert Eglinton of CAI had a great season fielding with a ZR of 11.2 and an EFF of 1.087

South League Best Value - Ryan Fuller of KW wins the value star award for the second year in a row! 24 year old has huge upside with a great bat and defense.

South League TROG STAR - Harry Milburn of LRM was this year's SL trog star and boy was he a good one! Combined an injury with a .203 batting average with bad defense to earn a -0.4 WAR all while on $12.5M/year!

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Left Field (looked at all players who started 40+ games) Players are only eligible for one award this year! This position has a lot of players listed, so I'm guessing a lot of them really played other positions. Oh well, I award them as listed.
20363943796_d0e72443c5_b.jpg

North League Best Bat - Jon Funk of Berlin is your NL best bat. What more can you say, a 0.990 OPS and 47 HRs! Wow what a nice season for him. -23.5 ZR means he should definitely be moved to DH because he's losing a ton of value from his fielding.

North League Best Glove - Carlos Ovadilla of SEO wins for the second year in a row, with a ZR of 12.0 and an EFF of 1.071.

North League Best Value - Mike Harris of HEL switched leagues but won his second value star award in a row. He was powered by the Curse of Haswell and has a bright future!

North League TROG STAR - Jorge Martinez of LIS was the trog star of the NL. -1.7 WAR at $2.5M

South League Best Bat - Carter Gibson of NDR was the South Leagues best bat. He missed a lot of the season due to injury, but his OPS of 0.888 was tops in the SL. Is also a min salary player with a bright future.

South League Best Glove - Lenny Uting of LRM was the SL best glove with a ZR of 15.1 and an EFF of 1.061 he also hit well too and is a minimum salary player as well.

South League Best Value - Brandon Marsh of SF was traded for the SL Trog Star and made his mark once he escaped the No-Thunder Dome. His defense looks bad but that's because he was forced to play out of position due to injuries. He hit over 0.800 OPS and has a bright future for SF.

South League TROG STAR - -WAR LUIS VELEZ was coveted by Mr. Manager, who traded Value Star Brandon Marsh for him straight up. -WAR Luis came in and sucked an egg and was pissy all season about playing for the riggers. Last year he was the SL's best glove and boy did he ever suffer a drop off to a -9.1 ZR this season! A complete reversal on defense and his bat stunk too. -0.6 WAR for $4.6M and this disgruntled former 7th grade Middle Linebacker earned the chance at free agency he always wanted.​

ZackMills

Have mercy
I knew Marsh and Velez would get those awards. Marsh didn't play out of position due to injuries, but more because @Reel didn't believe in developing center fielders B.D. (Before Desi). I do like my Marsh/Cook platoon for LF next year.

"-WAR" :laughing:

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Designated Hitter (looked at all players who started 40+ games) Players are only eligible for one award this year! This position has a lot of players listed, so I'm guessing a lot of them really played other positions. Oh well, I award them as listed.
20203553629_12b65e47c7_b.jpg

North League Best Bat - Teshome Haamid - AMD. 0.947 OPS and 48 HRs. Another juicer, ho hum.

North League Best Glove - N/A

North League Best Value - Gao Kung - SEO this 23 year old had an awesome season at the DH spot, hitting 0.819 OPS and 32 HRs

North League TROG STAR - Yazici for IST. DAT CONTRACT.

South League Best Bat - Felix Perez - KAB had the highest OPS of any DH in the league and you have to love his 104 BBs that lead to a .422 OBP

South League Best Glove - N/A

South League Best Value - Dave Kramer - NDR wins this by virtue of being the only option. GO RIGGERS! He actually did hit really well in the last few weeks of the season and I imagine he'd be a good DH in a ballpark that didn't have a .242 AVG for all hitters.

South League TROG STAR - This one was tough because Larry Schaffer and Eric Stuut were both really bad. I've gotta give it to Stuut of FB though, as hitting 0.149 is pretty damn impressive even if he only did it in limited action. For that effort he earned hisself $2m.

Last edited:

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Hocine deserved honorable mention for 1 AA homer in 80+ pinch hit ABs for $1.2M

@Mr. Radpants

Unfortunately I only count players on a WBL roster at the end of the season. In the future, make sure you call your trog stars up from the depths for the last sim if you want them to have a chance of winning such a prestigious award

ZackMills

Have mercy
Unfortunately I only count players on a WBL roster at the end of the season. In the future, make sure you call your trog stars up from the depths for the last sim if you want them to have a chance of winning such a prestigious award

You should scour the minor leagues and see how many truly bad contracts there are. That's one thing that is lame about the WBL. What I did to Niklasson would have never worked in real life. The WBLPA should hire @Reel to fight for their rights.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
You're missing Yazici, he's a DH

Thank you for reminding me. I updated to give him his rightful place. Poor Yankee, that contract looks so bad. Fortunately you see guys just have a bad season with a new team and snap out of it the next year, so I'm sure he won't be THAT bad again.