• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

the NHL Thread

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
I wish the Preds had left Fiala unprotected and kept Neal. Fiala is a soft ass.

Seems like the NHL might need to change up the expansion rules. Vegas is a great story, but isn't a little silly that they are this good? They have 4 lines full of 2nd line level talent and most other teams can barely field 2 lines worth 2nd line level talent.

Fleury playing so well certainly helps too.

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
I wish the Preds had left Fiala unprotected and kept Neal. Fiala is a soft ass.

Seems like the NHL might need to change up the expansion rules. Vegas is a great story, but isn't a little silly that they are this good? They have 4 lines full of 2nd line level talent and most other teams can barely field 2 lines worth 2nd line level talent.

Fleury playing so well certainly helps too.
They will certainly change the rules so the next expansion team doesn't get this good this fast, but back in the pre-season everyone expected this team to not even sniff the playoffs. Their staff has done a hell of a job and they've nailed their roster construction. You can argue Vegas got too much, but they also worked multiple deals and really used their salary cap space to leverage talent (and more) from the rest of the league. Hell, look at Fluery. Pittsburgh gave Vegas a 2nd round pick specifically so they would take Fleury.

More than likely the side deals to take certain unprotected players might be what the NHL doesn't allow.

Simo77

@GatorTD is the proper take. No one expected Fleury to play like that again. He was left for dead in Pittsburgh despite being loved by the fans. The last few playoffs where he was the man is like a blooper reel. Without Fleury at this level this is a good team, probably a playoff team but not a cup threat. The expansion rules were kinder to Vegas than any expansion team ever? Probably. All this has done is fuck Seattle. Seattle will not get the same deal. Or maybe they will. Who knows. Its the NHL. Detroit or Vancouver would take the Vegas deal immediately. Cut everyone, fix their cap issues, and get 1 player off of every team.

They will certainly change the rules so the next expansion team doesn't get this good this fast, but back in the pre-season everyone expected this team to not even sniff the playoffs. Their staff has done a hell of a job and they've nailed their roster construction. You can argue Vegas got too much, but they also worked multiple deals and really used their salary cap space to leverage talent (and more) from the rest of the league. Hell, look at Fluery. Pittsburgh gave Vegas a 2nd round pick specifically so they would take Fleury.

More than likely the side deals to take certain unprotected players might be what the NHL doesn't allow.
I think you hit the nail on the head early. No one - no one expected Vegas to be anything special this year. At the start of the year, beyond Fleury, Neal, and M. Subban, I don't think there was a player on the team that I had really heard of beyond knowing that they were in the NHL. These were all cast-offs and guys with 1 year left on their contracts. Their success is part "chip on their shoulder" for teams leaving them unprotected, part amazing coaching from Gallant and his staff, and part Fleury having a career year. I hope the only change to expansion drafts comes from making side deals, but even that is stupid. No one is going to do what Vegas did again.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Marchessault was also a steal, because Florida wanted to salary dump him despite being one of their best players.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
Vasilevsky vs. Fleury would be a duel of the gods source: watched it in regular season

I was going to say the actual Duel of the Gods was Felix Potvin vs Curtis Joseph in the 1993 playoffs, but then I looked the series up. It was just the first two games of the series- double OT thrillers. The rest of the series was pretty meh. It's amazing, though, the impression those games made on me that I still remember them now. /Old

0AY6YNw.png

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
Lightening is an good team. But if they're out on principal it sounds like you're down to 1 choice. You could always bandwagon I guess. Or just watch a few games until you find someone you like. Anyone form the Olympics you want to follow? Unfortunately unless your in a home market you're limited on who you can see. Unless you go to a sports bar a few times per week.
I got kicked to the front page of this thread and happened to catch this post on the bottom of the page and afew things caught my attention. There must have been some severe butter based action going on Feb 25, 2014.

Lightening is an good team.

out on principal

anyone form the Olympics

your in a home market

pavel

likes elk steak likes
Utopia Moderator
I heard something about how a tampa-vegas final would be for bettman like a kid getting caught smoking a cigarette and then being forced to smoke the whole pack.

:laughing:

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
I didn't see the past 2 games, but the team on the ice tonight looked damn determined. Too bad they dug theirselfs such a stupid hole.

I didn't see the past 2 games, but the team on the ice tonight looked damn determined. Too bad they dug theirselfs such a stupid hole.
In fairness to the Caps, they played pretty well in the 2nd and 3rd periods of game 5. They played really well last night, as they should in an elimination game. The biggest difference seemed to be Tampa Bay. They looked like they didn't want to make a mistake, and they missed a lot of opportunities as a result. Early in the game, the Lightning came in on a 3-on-2 with Stamkos carrying the puck up the right wing. Stamkos had a clear shot at Holtby and chose instead to pass through traffic. That was pretty much a microcosm of their offense last night.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Just Tampa sports things. At least I'm not on the year round mouthbreather (glass houses again, damn) trog cycle of hoping the Bucs and Rays finally pull it altogether like most of my fellow Lightning fans.