• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

TCU Horned Frogs

RamesuThe1

TCU.jpg

RamesuThe1

Season 3 Preview

The Horned Frogs are coming off an unexpected Big 12 title and Fiesta Bowl victory in Season 2 behind some strong performances from the Senior heavy class. Major awards were aplenty for the TCU football team last season including the Thorpe, Bednarik, Nagurski, Lombardi, Returner OTY and Biletnikoff but each of those award winners and the rest of a large senior class are now graduated and this team is young.

The new TCU team will be heavily dependent upon youth for production if they are going to compete in the intense Big 12. The starting QB, Jeff O'Donnel (5* - Ath from Louisianna) is a true freshman, the two starters at WR are a true freshman and a redshirt freshman, the second runningback is a true freshman and there are only 5 seniors on the team in total.

Coach Huxtable is hoping the youth serves the Frogs well and that they are poised down the stretch. In a year or two this team is going to be pretty good, but there will certainly be bumps along the road.

Schedule

TCU

Baylor (Win 34 - 17)
at SMU (Cowboys Stadium) (Win 27 - 14)
Boise State (Win 38 - 3)
at LSU (Win 23 - 10)
UCLA (Win 31 - 27)
at Tennessee (Win 40 - 36)
Georgia (Win 38 - 7)
at Auburn (Won by 3)
Arkansas (Win 40 - 33 OT)
at Ohio State (Loss 35 - 36 OT)
BYE
Florida State (Win 62 - 17)
at Alabama (Win 27 - 15)
BYE

Last edited:

RamesuThe1

Scouting Reports

via @Wpotty

Offense: Ran a lot of read option on me which killed me. If I remember correctly he took advantage of me pressing with go routes. Used a good mix of under center and SG. Has a strong power run game.

Defense: Honestly don't remember much about his defense other than he ran a lot of zone coverage as I was trying to force the corner route.

via @TXHusker05

TCU 42
Nebraska 31

Offense

Pass first, bordering on pass only until the second half when he ran it more to slow the game down. I believe his first 10 plays of the game were passes, but to be fair they resulted in like 3 touchdowns so a run game really wasn't necessary. The game was very odd to open. My offense held the ball close to 9 minutes over the first 3 drives but each long TD drive was answered by a warp speed touchdown drive by TCU.

It is not a complex passing attack, I would hesitate to call it air raid but it hits the key air raid concepts. Mostly Shallow and Stick. He will throw the alert vertical out of both of these concepts if he thinks it is there, then again, he'll throw it when it isn't there as well and his receivers will still probably catch it. The receiver talent at TCU is absurd.

A significant amount of his offense is hot routes and/or backside alert throws. He'll take advantage of whatever look you're giving him. If you're off, he'll throw speed outs and curls. If you're tight, he'll throw verts. Expect a lot of out routes... and then double whatever you originally expected because that's what you're going to get. The out was his go to throw all game, he has incredible speed all over at WR so unless you're deep at CB you're in trouble. Unfortunately, you can't afford to put your top CBs inside because he'll throw outside as well.

Key 3rd down and long play was Shallow, usually with a hot route backside. He's not afraid to throw the backside skinny post out of 2x2 Shallow Cross either, he's probably the only person I've ever seen actually throw that backside post and it was very effective for him. Credit his offensive line for protecting long enough to allow it, very few users can hang in long enough for slow developing backside routes..

Key 3rd and short play was Stick. He knows where he is going with the ball pre-snap 99% of the time, but that doesn't mean he is forcing passes. He knows where the open man is likely to be and the ball is out quick. He'll force the occasional deep ball into coverage, but his receivers right a lot of wrongs on athleticism alone. A lot of size and a lot of speed.

He'll take any screens you give him. If your outside corners are off, he'll throw a now screen out there. If the inside slot receiver isn't covered, he'll throw a bubble screen out there. He's content taking screen passes, but considering the alternatives you're better off giving him the screens and making a tackle than getting torched by the deep ball.

Don't be too concerned about the run game. That isn't to say it isn't a threat, he'll take it if you give it to him, but focus on stopping the pass first. He'll run read option a handful of times when he has numbers, but that's the main threat. He has a few under center formations he'll run from, but he only went to them to run clock. He has the ability to scramble and did scramble for a late touchdown, but it isn't a big part of his game. If he wanted to, he could probably run 15-20 times a game with his QB between option, designed runs and scrambles. His passing game is that much of a threat.

The bottom line: it is an incredibly generic offense run with incredibly talented players who make plays in space. He gets all 5 potential receivers involved and is not afraid to throw backside, which makes it very difficult to hedge to the passing strength. He knows where the favorable match-up is and how to get the ball out in space. At the same time, if you focus too much backside, he'll screen you to death to the field. A more physically capable defense than mine would have far more luck defending his passing attack straight up. My defense is not very athletic and it forced me to take some risks vs the pass, the majority of which I got burned on.

Defense

My scouting report on his defense won't do a whole lot of good since I doubt he'd defend anyone else the way he defended me. It was press coverage with show blitz almost every single play. By the second half, not only was it press coverage but it was Cover 2 Press Man. Every play. Any enjoyment I had playing this game was lost watching aggressive option defense, safeties moved underneath linebackers, multiple defensive hot routes and show blitz paired with press man coverage force me into the most generic bastardization of my offense possible.

To be honest, the style of defense played in this game was unacceptable, disappointing and ruined what could have been a fun game. The things listed above aren't strategy, they are gimmicks that exploit programming. That style of play is not acceptable in this OD. That said, credit to Ram for knowing the strength of his players, he knows exactly what he can get away with.

Special Teams

Did not attempt a field goal or attempt to return a kickoff. If his kickoffs were any indication, his kicker could probably crush field goals from 58-60, they were all out the back of the endzone.

Summary

Ram knows what the strengths of his personnel are and precisely how he can exploit it. He doesn't take a ton of risks, he does what he knows and lets you make the mistake. He played a nearly perfect game outside of one late turnover, which did not cost him.

Last edited:

Walter323

TCU (@RamesuThe1 ) Scouting Report

Week 13 February 9th

Georgia 35
#6 TCU 28

Offence:
Tried to start out running a lot of read option but due to the scouting report (thanks @Wpotty ) I was able to pretty much stop that. Had both DE's key the QB and played mostly with the MLB to stuff the middle. Once the option was primary stopped he torched me through the air. Boykin was 26-32 for 358, 3TD's and 1 costly INT. Hit what i'm guessing was a corner route non stop. I couldn't find a defense to stop it.

Defence:
Plays primarily with the safeties. Helps him a ton on run defense but he will over commit and can be hurt with misdirection. Gave me a lot of 1 on 1 due to my lackluster ability to throw and my commitment to the run. Hurt him a couple times on play action bombs to pretty much wide a open receiver/TE. He was committed to stopping Gurley, 31 carries for 105 and 2 TD's. Guessing his option was on conservative because my QB was open on any read option. QB Ramsey ran 5 times for 62 yards.

Special Teams: Kicks off right to the point where you could return it but aren't sure if it is worth it. I brought it out once from 2 yards deep and was stuffed at the 15. His returner is lights out. Kick it out of the endzone if possible, or atleast not to #7.

RamesuThe1

The #2 Horned Frogs are sitting prettier than anybody expected them to be at this point in the season considering the amount of youth they trot out each week.

Their unblemished record will be put to the test in this second half of the season. Two out of the next three are on the road and against some stiff competition. This week, TCU travels to #6 Auburn to face the undefeated Tigers. Next week, the Frogs get a home date with the always tough 12th-ranked Razorbacks and in week 10 the Frogs travel to Columbus to face the #1 Buckeyes. This stretch of games will define the season for TCU, a 3-0 record would be almost unreal considering the youth, 2-1 would be quite the success, 1-2 is even a reach and 0-3 would be completely understandable. This team has already surpassed every expectation; any sort of success from this point forward is gravy. This team is still 2 years away from being a serious competitor but the nation will be watching to see what comes of this very young collection of excellent talent.

If O'Donnel can take care of the football and the defense with Riley and Henderson can keep some games close, we may be even more surprised by season's end at what the Frogs have accomplished.

Stay Tuned