• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Sperg about Motor Racing thread

Wolfman21

holy mother of fuck what a crash...

Zhou went sliding across the gravel on his head and his car ended up between the fence and the tires...tv has not showed a replay or the spot of the car since

Edit: Word is hes "okay"

Wolfman21

Think Hamilton is in the cat birds seat to win this one. Hes faster than Sainz, Verstappen's car is broken and Leclerc has damage.

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
Remember when Ferrari told Carlos to drop 10 car lengths back of Leclerc at the restart lmao, thank God he ignored those clowns

Wolfman21

Remember when Ferrari told Carlos to drop 10 car lengths back of Leclerc at the restart lmao, thank God he ignored those clowns

I'm sure they were trying to appease leclerc since they basically fucked him over. But that request was nonsense. Back off of the driver with 20+ lap old hard compound tires while you're on your brand new softs and everyone behind you has brand new softs? Had Carlos listened, its possible neither of them finish on the podium today.

vertigho

definite maybe
unknown.png

vertigho

definite maybe
As for the race itself, Leclerc deserved better (and has all season). He was turning fastest laps on 20+ lap old hard tires with a broken front-wing (in a downforce needy car); that was truly a remarkably impressive drive from Leclerc. Who knows what his pace would've been with an intact front-wing. Ferrari managed to fuck up his race, again. Unless Lewis had found mega-pace over the last 8-10 laps, that was going to finish as follows without the safety car: 1. Leclerc, 2. Hamilton, 3. Sainz (maybe Checo if Sainz had lost pace).

I hope for Leclerc's sake he manages to get a car that lasts to the end of the race -and- coherent team strategy, because he deserves both, and if he had both to this point in the season, he's likely leading the WDC (Spain, Monaco, Baku, Montreal, and now Silverstone). Spain, Monaco, and Silverstone were in the bag for P1 without the mechanical/tactical errors. Baku, we can't know, but it would've been interesting to see how that race played out. Montreal should've been an easy top-3 if not for the grid penalty (which was fallout from Spain/Baku).

With the exception of Imola, Leclerc's been as good as any driver on the grid. Verstappen, Leclerc, Lewis, and likely Russell are in a class of their own. Sainz and Checo are also very good (possibly a result of the car they drive) but I don't think they're quite in the same class as those first four. This is definitely a golden-age for F1 talent. Verstappen, Leclerc, Russell are young and will likely be racing for 5+ years barring injury. Even if Hamilton was to retire soon (which I'm not sure will happen), we still have at least three (likely four) insanely talented drivers in fast cars duking it out. Awesome stuff.

Last edited:

vertigho

definite maybe
Russell got screwed over by F1 strictly following its rules.

Sounds like it might've been bad luck. Apparently he told race personnel to not tow his car ... but they did. AFAIK if Russell had got back into the car after checking on Zhou and limped it back to the pits, he would've been able to continue.

Last edited:

Wolfman21

Id be the same way. He was driving away with the race. Even hamilton on, what, 10-15 lap fresher tires, was not making a dent into his lead. And they completely leave him out to dry. I'm happy for Carlos...but Ferrari has fucked Leclerc over so much this year...its a bit ridiculous.

vertigho

definite maybe
Id be the same way. He was driving away with the race. Even hamilton on, what, 10-15 lap fresher tires, was not making a dent into his lead. And they completely leave him out to dry. I'm happy for Carlos...but Ferrari has fucked Leclerc over so much this year...its a bit ridiculous.

I remember checking with 16 laps remaining what the differential Hamilton needed to pull back per lap was, and it was 0.375 (16 laps remaining, Charles had a 6s gap at that point). Leclerc and Hamilton started trading fastest laps in the mid-to-low 1:31s. Hamilton was better at times, but not by more than a tenth per lap. And as you said, Charles was doing it with older tires and a broken wing.

I still want to know what circumstances differentiate a regular SC from a VSC. Similar to Hamilton in Abu Dhabi, the deserving winner (within that particular race) has their hard work wiped out through what essentially amounts to bad luck / someone else's mistake. Can they not just have these guys drive with speed limiters, required to hold a particular delta to the car in front, tell the drivers to exercise extreme caution in the part of the track where the incident occurred, and then resume the race when the field all has their intervals roughly correct (as they do for a VSC)?

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Having covid means I can actually watch the full weekend for THE RED BULL RING. Two red flags in P1 mean going into quali the setups are going to be less than stellar, hopefully it's as interesting as Silverstone was.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Norris has less time in p1, old engine, out qualifies Danny Ric who can't even get out of Q1. LAWD Danny is done

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
I don't think I'm being biased when I suggest that Red Bull have now rigged everything in F1.

vertigho

definite maybe
The website is in Italian so I'm not clear on the technicals, and there are many graphs displayed, but this seems to be a basic representation of where each team/car is the fastest at RBR (among the big-3).

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
That map is kind of pointless when most concensus is that the merc was second fastest if they hadn't crashed. Fast enough Mercs pushing from behind :djscripclub: are going to make this race fun if they don't crash again.

Gonna come out and say it - if Merc make their usual jump from quali to race pace they are going to have the fastest car. This was by a country mile the fastest quali car they have had.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Mercedes’ social media manager is really good. I’ve taken notice before at the stuff they do and enjoy it

Yes. It's not just social media though. It's the character of the team. Hell would freeze over berfore we ever saw a sense of humour coming out of Red Bull.

vertigho

definite maybe
That map is kind of pointless when most concensus is that the merc was second fastest if they hadn't crashed. Fast enough Mercs pushing from behind :djscripclub: are going to make this race fun if they don't crash again.

Gonna come out and say it - if Merc make their usual jump from quali to race pace they are going to have the fastest car. This was by a country mile the fastest quali car they have had.

I don't think the map is pointless; it's a representation of the data based on the laps the drivers did. We're also talking fractions of seconds here over an entire lap, let alone within mini-sectors. It just shows where each driver had the most pace on the track on the officially timed laps they did.

Could Merc have been better represented if their drivers had stuck their flying laps? Yeah. Is it possible their sprint/race pace is better than what they showed in qualifying/what is in that map (assuming they keep the car on-track)? Yeah.

That doesn't make the map pointless, though, imo. I just thought it was interesting information.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
I don't think the map is pointless; it's a representation of the data based on the laps the drivers did. We're also talking fractions of seconds here over an entire lap, let alone within mini-sectors. It just shows where each driver had the most pace on the track on the officially timed laps they did.

Could Merc have been better represented if their drivers had stuck their flying laps? Yeah. Is it possible their sprint/race pace is better than what they showed in qualifying/what is in that map (assuming they keep the car on-track)? Yeah.

That doesn't make the map pointless, though, imo. I just thought it was interesting information.

Yes it's interesting and didn't mean to be dismissive. However there are a hell of a lot of confounding factors in trying to extrapolate race pace from qualifying - particularly this year. Added to the fact that imo the Merc info was completley impossible due to crashing, the Ferraris have also gone completely the other way to Merc and Redbull in race pace. I think it would have been far more interesting had they tried to analise the long runs in practice (have they done this?). As it stands the graphic tells us nothing of how the race will go.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
IIRC whem HAM crashed his engineer (NOT BONO) said he was on pace for Q2/Q3 at that point. Now obviously 3 times were set on the last lap that beat the Q1 at that point so who knows but that Merc was fast as hell. I really hope Merc is back mostly for Lewis' sake.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Potentially Merc could still be on for the constructors shamp if they get the fastest car now, as when the RB/Ferrari loophole (cheat) is closed in Spa they should dominate.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
DTS would salivate if that happened. A resurgence of TOTO talking shit, Horner having to explain how the WDC means more than the WCC after letting it slip away to a Merc team who started in shambles.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
And with RB devving the car away from Perez, it could lead to something like that happening.