• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Sperg about Motor Racing thread

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Like I said, I don't think the top teams will form their own league so I'm not sure how you're still confusing that point. I agree that would fail

It's not the only American philosophy that's been rejected in football. There's others every year, and they fail. Honestly I don't know how you can't see the parallels. European fans are happy with 0-0 draws and not manipulating the offside rule for entertainment, as much as they are happy with races decided by a safety car. Stop being myopic and thinking everything is 'Murrican.

Let's end this, and agree to disagree please. It's fucking circles.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
These differences are literally why American sport evolved in a completely different direction.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I hope you're right but they just had the biggest szn ever with r/formula1 melting down every other weak because of FIA actions. We'll see what happens over the next few years, if they keep making weird decisions to keep shampship races closer because it drives ratings then you're on your way. I think they see what this season brought them (sponsors especially) and it will drive them towards it

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
I honestly don't think the extra entertainment were down to the officiating. F1 just sparkles on it's own every 10-15 years when there are at least 2 amazing drivers in amazing cars. It just so happened that this year Verstappen and Hamilton were similar talent levels in cars of a similar level. The problem is that they may well think that's the reason, but for me (and a lot of others) it detracted.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I honestly don't think the extra entertainment were down to the officiating. F1 just sparkles on it's own every 10-15 years when there are at least 2 amazing drivers in amazing cars. It just so happened that this year Verstappen and Hamilton were similar talent levels in cars of a similar level. The problem is that they may well think that's the reason, but for me (and a lot of others) it detracted.

That's my point, they'll see what this close race (over the season not just the final race) did to ratings/money and start gradually steering into that. The close race this year wasn't due to the FIA like you said (although they did seem to base decisions on it somewhat from the speculation running rampant each week) but the success this close race has brought F1 in general will be the catalyst if captalism has any say. Sponsors are the life of F1 as you say, do they like money? Well they like close shampship races then. Can they lean on F1 to cater to that?

As an aside, I'm obviously new to following f1 and I can't really catch a lot of races so I just read about it a lot. One thing that I think is amazing is that they change setups and not only that but drastically it seems. I'm excited to see what happens next year.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Just wait until F1 introduces a playoff system. His head will explode.
To be fair, if you had told an avid Nascar fan the same thing in the 90s they would have the same reaction as hayvis. And almost every Nascar fan hates the playoffs but they still watch

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
You could see it a mile away the minute they started the cash grab by taking races away from historic tracks that put on great races to places like Fontana, CA and fucking Chicago in the late 90s.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
chicagoland-orange.jpg

Bdub

That's my point, they'll see what this close race (over the season not just the final race) did to ratings/money and start gradually steering into that. The close race this year wasn't due to the FIA like you said (although they did seem to base decisions on it somewhat from the speculation running rampant each week) but the success this close race has brought F1 in general will be the catalyst if captalism has any say. Sponsors are the life of F1 as you say, do they like money? Well they like close shampship races then. Can they lean on F1 to cater to that?

As an aside, I'm obviously new to following f1 and I can't really catch a lot of races so I just read about it a lot. One thing that I think is amazing is that they change setups and not only that but drastically it seems. I'm excited to see what happens next year.
I do think sponsorship in F1 is a bit different than something like NASCAR. It's interesting how often times sponsors have conflicting interests. For instance Mercedes wants to dominate the competition regardless of how boring it is. They want to show how great Mercedes is. Where someone like Red Bull wants to win obviously, but probably care more about how many people are actually watching the races.

Also there is no way F1 will ever have a playoff. Too much elitism there too ever happen. I don't think any open wheel series will ever go that way. It's just not in their DNA to do that kinda thing.

Sent from my SM-F916U1 using Tapatalk

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I do think sponsorship in F1 is a bit different than something like NASCAR. It's interesting how often times sponsors have conflicting interests. For instance Mercedes wants to dominate the competition regardless of how boring it is. They want to show how great Mercedes is. Where someone like Red Bull wants to win obviously, but probably care more about how many people are actually watching the races.

Also there is no way F1 will ever have a playoff. Too much elitism there too ever happen. I don't think any open wheel series will ever go that way. It's just not in their DNA to do that kinda thing.

Well not every sponsor is a car maker though, Mercedes probably does but most probably just want as many eyes on their logo as possible. Winning is a bonus for most IMO.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni

You forget, Liberty Media owns F1 now. They'll milk F1 for every penny it's worth.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Ughrr. Mercedes caved. Depressing. Anyway hopefully Merc have a rocket ship next year so that No1 gold clown shoes is humiliated.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Who could have seen that coming?

Lol. You could say I was livid and biased as a result (even If I did win £100 knowing there would be a stitch up). Would love to see that shit head humiliated next year.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Lol. You could say I was livid and biased as a result (even If I did win £100 knowing there would be a stitch up). Would love to see that shit head humiliated next year.
I don’t blame you, Lewis won if the rules were followed so as a fan it makes sense. I liked Toto’s wife’s take on it (I think her name is Susie)

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
I don’t blame you, Lewis won if the rules were followed so as a fan it makes sense. I liked Toto’s wife’s take on it (I think her name is Susie)

I've never ever felt that way about a sporting event. Usually you just soak it up sleep on it, and remember it's just a game. Even though I'd won money on this, I woke up for about three days still feeling that sense of disappointment. Probably because there was no closure, and now Mercedes have dropped it, I feel fine about it (although still wanting revenge next season).

As I said before, I'd love Red Bull to have a shit car next season (quite likely according to all reports) so he looks like a complete clown driving around in gold shoes with the no1.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Thing with Verstappen is that he's detestable in every sense. He's a bit thick (doesn't shut up about racing being just driving a car fast when his flaws this season are due to EXACTLY that mentality), he refuses to take a knee, when really it wouldn't be much of a hassle when it means so much to one of your fellow racers even if you don't fully want to, and he's got a fucking face like a frog and the voice of a spoiled nine year old boy. He just appeals to racist idiots that hate Hamilton because he's black (and Dutch people).

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
Verstappen reminds me a lot of Kyle Busch. An unbelievably talented douchenozzle. Hamilton also comes off as an elitist ass.

I'm still an Alonso fan. Hoping that Renault/Alpine/Bennetton/etc can bring back the glory days for one last run at the title.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Verstappen reminds me a lot of Kyle Busch. An unbelievably talented douchenozzle. Hamilton also comes off as an elitist ass.

I'm still an Alonso fan. Hoping that Renault/Alpine/Bennetton/etc can bring back the glory days for one last run at the title.

I don't know how you can find Hamilton elitist when he comes from a working class family from Stevenage. I think you're mistaking aloof for genuinely laid back. I just don't think he gets rattled, ever.

I like Alonso, but he can be an absolute dick. Norris is the man - I hope either Mclaren get competitive or he gets a good car some other way.

The thing with Verstappen is that he's proven now that he has all of the driver skills and absolutely no racing brain. I also think he lacks a certain amount of finesse, and would never have been able to avoid collision with himself like Hamilton had to a lot of the season.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Well it’s not his fault Masi did what he did.

In a bygone age of sportsmanship, I think put in that situation there are some drivers that would have passed and then let Hamilton take it at the end. The way Horner and Verstappen celebrated was pathetic - at least tone it down when you know you were gifted. Horner is just every short man in the universe.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
In a bygone age of sportsmanship, I think put in that situation there are some drivers that would have passed and then let Hamilton take it at the end. The way Horner and Verstappen celebrated was pathetic - at least tone it down when you know you were gifted. Horner is just every short man in the universe.
This is even more dumb than you thinking Mercedes would actually sue

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
All his team would lose their bonuses for winning for one. Lewis wouldn’t have if the roles were reversed either.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I’m sure there might be a driver, maybe two in history that would do that. Not many though, you race to win at that level

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
I’m sure there might be a driver, maybe two in history that would do that. Not many though, you race to win at that level

I think it was such a unique situation that you might find more than a few. It was such a douchebag move for them to act like they'd earned it. At least toning it down a bit would have been nice. I can imagine muted celebrations from a lot of the other drivers on this gid.

Wolfman21

I don't know how you can find Hamilton elitist when he comes from a working class family from Stevenage. I think you're mistaking aloof for genuinely laid back. I just don't think he gets rattled, ever.

I like Alonso, but he can be an absolute dick. Norris is the man - I hope either Mclaren get competitive or he gets a good car some other way.

The thing with Verstappen is that he's proven now that he has all of the driver skills and absolutely no racing brain. I also think he lacks a certain amount of finesse, and would never have been able to avoid collision with himself like Hamilton had to a lot of the season.

Hamilton raced just as aggressively and dangerously around the same age Verstappen is now. Partly because he didn't have the fastest car like he has for the last 7 years which forces that kind of driving at times. Hell, go back and look at 2011, when Hamilton was 26 years old(verstappen 24 right now) where Hamilton was either given a penalty or reprimand in 9 of 14 incidents he was a part of in that season.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Hamilton raced just as aggressively and dangerously around the same age Verstappen is now. Partly because he didn't have the fastest car like he has for the last 7 years which forces that kind of driving at times. Hell, go back and look at 2011, when Hamilton was 26 years old(verstappen 24 right now) where Hamilton was either given a penalty or reprimand in 9 of 14 incidents he was a part of in that season.

Even Newey recently admitted that Verstappen had the fastest car this season. I agree that Hamilton is/was aggressive when needs, but Verstappen didn't need to be this season - because he had the fastest car for most of it. I can't ever see Lewis having a lead like Verstappen had going into Silverstone and being such a bone head. Never. Verstappen has also raced F1 for 7 years now, and his racing brain hasn't got any better.

He's all skill no brain.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
He's 24 and was chasing his first shampship so comparing him to a 36 year old with 7 under his belt seems odd.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
He's 24 and was chasing his first shampship so comparing him to a 36 year old with 7 under his belt seems odd.

He's also had 7 seasons in F1. He only knows how to race one way. Silverstone (and countless other occasions) is a classic example. No way Hamilton would have done this with the fastest car and a big lead at any stage in his F1 career.

Wolfman21

Even Newey recently admitted that Verstappen had the fastest car this season. I agree that Hamilton is/was aggressive when needs, but Verstappen didn't need to be this season - because he had the fastest car for most of it. I can't ever see Lewis having a lead like Verstappen had going into Silverstone and being such a bone head. Never. Verstappen has also raced F1 for 7 years now, and his racing brain hasn't got any better.

He's all skill no brain.

bonehead by leading into a corner and being wiped out from behind? lol

You know if the roles were reversed in that accident you'd be calling Verstappen to be sent to the courts for attempted murder. gtfo, lol

Again....9 reprimands/penalties for Hamilton in 2011, in his 5th F1 season....all skill, no brain as a 26 year old with 5 years experience i guess...

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Bold of you to say when he didn't have that chance going for his first title. We'll see what happens when Verstappen has multiple titles and is around 30.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
bonehead by leading into a corner and being wiped out from behind? lol

You know if the roles were reversed in that accident you'd be calling Verstappen to be sent to the courts for attempted murder. gtfo, lol

Again....9 reprimands/penalties for Hamilton in 2011, in his 5th F1 season....all skill, no brain as a 26 year old with 5 years experience i guess...

I can't talk to you about this if you don't know how Verstappen could have helped himself out. Yes, Lewis was to blame and was penalised accordingly, but if he had any racing brain at all, Verstappen would have prevented himself pissing points down the drain.

Wolfman21

I can't talk to you about this if you don't know how Verstappen could have helped himself out. Yes, Lewis was to blame and was penalised accordingly, but if he had any racing brain at all, Verstappen would have prevented himself pissing points down the drain.

so he should have just rolled over and given up the lead so the guy that you're saying is the sportsman of all sportsman and best driver ever wouldn't torpedo him?

holy shit, lol

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Imagine....its 2026...Verstappen now has 4 world titles....Hayvis walks up to his window to contemplate life...

abe-simpson-abe-simpson-cloud.gif

RBR, a high rake car team, which is why they were so desperate to win in 2021. There's no way they are going to have the car with the new regs. I'm starting to wonder if you follow this at all.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
so he should have just rolled over and given up the lead so the guy that you're saying is the sportsman of all sportsman and best driver ever wouldn't torpedo him?

holy shit, lol

He should have rolled over and finished 2nd. Yes.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I didn't know Red Bull couldn't change their car with the new regs, that will make things really interesting

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member

holy shit, lol

Seems like you don't understand because you have no racing brain either.... :laughing:

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
I didn't know Red Bull couldn't change their car with the new regs, that will make things really interesting

They have to go to a concept they've never worked with, after focussing on bringing endless upgrades to 2021. Looks like you haven't really followed things either.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
They have to go to a concept they've never worked with, after focussing on bringing endless upgrades to 2021. Looks like you haven't really followed things either.

No I have, I just figured the second best team would figure things out. Not immediately but by 2023? I guess RBR is done until the next regs come through.