• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Sarknado II - USC Trojans 2015 season.

nofx94

My granddad is a USC-LSU fan and the reason I got into college football. He wanted Coach O last time and he wanted him to replace Miles just now. I think he might end up at Syracuse.

nofx94

I dunno. If he wants to be a head coach, which I just assume everyone does, he's gonna have to get a mid tier position.

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
I got a lot of calls and texts from family, friends, clients, etc who are SC people, and literally every single one of them is somewhere between content and happy with Helton. No one jumping up and down screaming "shampship" just yet, but not one person who was negative either. Kind of surprising. It's overall a more positive response than any of Sark, Kiff, or Carroll's hirings.

I expected at least some of them be like, "wtf? We hired Helton?"

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
So, am I late to the party or what? Sark is suing USC for "discriminating" against his alcoholism, wants $30 million.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...ns-steve-sarkisian-fired-lawsuit-coach-120715

Dear Sark,
Get fucked.
Sincerely,
Everybody

Supposedly there is a morality clause (or multiple clauses?) in his contract. But I'm no attorney and I haven't actually seen the contract obviously, so I don't know how this plays out. Gut feeling is he ultimately gets some money to disappear. Fuck him. Own your baggage you shit head.

GuyIncognito

pressure cooker full of skittles
Well I don't get how there can possibly be a claim here. They knew he was a drunk before, right? They made him sign a pledge or whatever saying he would go to rehab.

Then he didn't do what he was supposed to do, and they fired him for being an asshole, not for being drunk. It sounds like a shakedown.

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
The weird thing is that I have to think your chances of getting hired by a major program after pulling this stunt are nil.

My thought as well. I mean 'recovering' drunk with a so-so track record is a tough sell as it is. But then to sue for $30m and play the victim card? What school is going to sign on for that?

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
The weird thing is that I have to think your chances of getting hired by a major program after pulling this stunt are nil.

Well, I think he basically torpedoed his own career with the drunkenness, anyway (along with a highly mediocre track record), so he probably figures, "Go big, or go home."

If he gets a nice, 10MM settlement package, then he wouldn't have to coach anywhere for the rest of his life.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Sark's options are essentially: (1) accept that he was fired because he showed up drunk to work - forfeiting millions of dollars, or (2) file a lawsuit to get back those millions of dollars. I don't think he's going to be a head coach again no matter which option he chooses. Maybe he could latch on as an offensive coordinator somewhere. But I sort of doubt it.

I don't know why anybody would be surprised about this. As soon as he was fired, this lawsuit was coming down the pipe.

An article I found interesting, from October: http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/10/15/9518265/steve-sarkisian-usc-football-coach-fired

GuyIncognito

pressure cooker full of skittles
It's surprising to me because it just seems so rare to have high profile coaches suing their programs. Maybe I just don't hear about it that often and it's more common than I think.

The Leach example comes to mind.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
There aren't many coaches that are fired for cause like this. I mean, I can only remember Sark and Leach. Normally the schools just pay the buy out. And it's also not often that a coach gets fired for being drunk all the time.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I love CA, and I think alcoholism is a real disease and he needs real help. But this is a trashy move. I understand the rationale, I understand I shouldn't be surprised. But what a lame ass dude.

I think firing Sark while he was on his way to rehab was much more trashy than filing this lawsuit. I know there wasn't a good way to handle this, but I feel like USC could have kept him on until the end of the season, negotiated something with him, and moved on at that point. Instead you have a guy with a disease whose livelihood gets yanked out from under him right when he's the most vulnerable.

This isn't exactly going to be pleasant for Sark, either. He's going to have to testify about his alcoholism in excruciating detail if this doesn't get settled quickly.

Brick

wait until the end of the season? it would have been a disaster. would have finished 5-3 or something.

nofx94

Ya, well. There were a lot of pieces written to this effect in the immediate aftermath. SC had to make a move, and it wasn't going to be pretty. They can't have a visibly drunk guy on the sideline. It's just a non-starter. He probably wasn't the first coach to ever do it, but to be so flippant about it that ESPN is writing articles quoting players calling the head ball coach "lit"? Man that's embarrassing.

The lack of patience is just the way shit is today. It used to be a coach got years to build a program, now you get maybe three, and in some spots 1.5 or less, as we've seen. And with the way the 24-hr news cycle and the TMZ culture have dug their way into sports, it's much easier to get caught up.

I think the cleanest way to have done it would have been to fire him without the indefinite leave. He was suspended already from the beginning of the season, right? But I guess protocol dictated Haden only had the right to force the hiatus first before getting permission to fire him.

Man, this is not USC's golden age. I hope brighter days are ahead.

Bdub

Should have sent him off the rehab and let him go over the winter. Instead they fire the guy while he is on a plane after telling him a totally different story. USC couldn't have handled it any worse if they tried.

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
Should have sent him off the rehab and let him go over the winter. Instead they fire the guy while he is on a plane after telling him a totally different story. USC couldn't have handled it any worse if they tried.

If that is, in fact, EXACTLY how it went down, then it's an awful way to handle it. But you don't know that. None of us do.

Wooly

BYU should hire Sark. Make him quit drinking and join the church, and they can play up that PR card for years to come. If he slips up again, just have his plan go down in the Pacific on a recruiting trip to the Somoan Islands.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
BYU should hire Sark. Make him quit drinking and join the church, and they can play up that PR card for years to come. If he slips up again, just have his plan go down in the Pacific on a recruiting trip to the Somoan Islands.

Unless he drunk-pilots the plane like Denzel in Flight.

Bdub

If that is, in fact, EXACTLY how it went down, then it's an awful way to handle it. But you don't know that. None of us do.
True but if you are controlling a situation the right way then there isn't a chance that you come out looking this bad. This lawsuit is stupid but USC left the door open. Through all of this I still can't believe Haden still has a job.