1. We have updated to a new version of XenForo. If you were using the "Kella" custom style, you need to switch to the Utopia or Alternate style. Do this in your user preferences.
    Dismiss Notice

Option Offense

Discussion in 'NCAA Football Discussion' started by Hachiko, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Utopia

Team:
    Mitakihara
    I started a thread on the Option in oldtopia, and now here it is again on Nutopia. My mega-dynasty uses the option attack. Actually, it's more of a spread-flex system that incorporates these formations:

Flexbone - Every variation
    Wingbone - Every variation
    Wishbone - Wide
    I Form - Normal
    Power I - Strong
    In NCAA 13, I added the Far - Pro formation.

I tend to use the Triple Option and Tr Ctr Weak a lot, as well as read. I used to go no-huddle with this, but later in my dynasty I reverted to normal tendencies. Among the generic playbooks on 14, Spread Option is my cup of tea, of course.

What about the rest of you? Share your videos on your option offense formations, and so on.

2. JSU Zack

JSU Zack How do I IT?

Team:
    Alabama
    I tried to make a balanced option attack, but it struggles against elite competition. If your line is not incredible, prepare for a long day because the passing is subpar. It's not just the plays but the pocket protection is a lot shorter for formations like Flex Slot/Trips. It's really quite depressing that this offense has been neutered over the last few years.

I have considered running a Wishbone offense. Against users, some of my best success has been with Wishbone Tight using zone, toss, and blast runs and then hitting up top to the TE.

Hachiko likes this.
  3. fanoftgame

fanoftgame Active Member

The problen I ran into with undercenter option is the lack or just str8 off tackle runs. No option just hand offs or qb power type runs.

I played against slackerelli one of the better option guys on ps3. We both ran flex. We ended up playing slopoy games because if you get into the bear front and force the dive the offense is in trouble. There us no room for the fb against a bear defense. If you logically tried load play its to cloudy to read this year(although you can make it a blind read if you know your opponent doesnt switch option rules). I would switch option rules so he couldnt make blind reads on speed or load. So we ended up passing more often then not or runnig cntr dive/ sweeps all game.

I would have loved to run flexbone kind of like spread teams run their offense. Single back direct hand offs vs 2 high. Triple vs 1 high. Sweeps and quick passing vs cover 0. :cool:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

4. PaHsFootballRules

PaHsFootballRules Member

Team:
    FOOTBAW
    Since we have a few option guys in t the spread thread. Let's revive this one. Any one catch the army game? Monken's team looks much better than last year's.

5. Atmore

Atmore Active Member

I have the Army game DVR'd was probably going to gwt to it tomorrow.... Watching the Fl St vs. Citadel tonight....
    I DVR any option team that runs option and will fast forward to watch them on offense only lol.... Was like WTF watching GT vs. Wofford because Wofford changed offense from wingbone to shotgun.... Wofford Wingbone was nasty but I'm on a serious hunt to find any GA Southern footage.... I know they play GT in 2 games but GA Southern has always had the best Flex offense

6. Atmore

Atmore Active Member

....back to Option or atleast flexbone I am really trying to find a way to make the regular Dive play work.... no matter I think the correct read/time to run it or how the Oline will block it doesn't work out consistently.... Even in user games the Oline gets blown up or they block wrong

7. NavyHog

NavyHog Well-Known Member Utopia Moderator NCAA Moderator

Getting very pissed off in regard to audible/no-huddle snafu's. Yesterday I audible to a WB Toss, my left and right side of the OL switch (WTF? LOL) and then my QB tosses it fwd into my OT back. Any speed sweep, WB or WB dive is FUBAR if it's an audible or no huddle.

8. PaHsFootballRules

PaHsFootballRules Member

Team:
    FOOTBAW
    Yeah. I don't run the no huddle for that reason. I haven't had a problem tho if the audibled play is ran to the right. But like I said, I like to huddle up so I am not exposed to it as much as others.

GS is on a few times this year since they moved up to the FBS. They have been on WatchESPN the last two weeks but I haven't gotten the chance to watch them. Last year's GS coach is the new coach at Army. I really like what he is doing, but it's only been one game. GS new head coach is from Sam Houston St. which I have followed for the last few years. He runs a pistol triple option and it is fun to watch. From what I have read he is running the pistol at GS too and they just dusted Savannah St. on Saturday so it sounds like he will do well there. The Navy game wasn't televised in my area :(.

I DVR all of the teams I like to watch which are either power run teams or option. I haven't gotten to watch New Mexico or AFA yet, but they are saved on my DVR. At the very least we can use this thread to discuss the games/schemes/coaches of the previous week.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  9. NavyHog

NavyHog Well-Known Member Utopia Moderator NCAA Moderator

For me it doesn't matter if it's right or left, either way my QB is dead meat.

10. Atmore

Atmore Active Member

If I no huddle I stay in the same formation, I pass mainly and if I run It would be Sting, Quick Option. If it's a triple option I only run it to whatever side the play is designed no flip.... the main thing is after the play I just sit there let the players get in position then find my play to call.... I no huddle when thwy come out in a defense I know I can take advantage of or I know the Dive read is automatic

11. Atmore

Atmore Active Member

Didn't know the coaches switched up like that.... I watched some of Air Force game and it was typical missed oppurtunities with open WRs....

12. PaHsFootballRules

PaHsFootballRules Member

Team:
    FOOTBAW
    I know AFA lost but I am looking forward to watching it anyway. Army's QB Angel Santiago was really effective through the air. At one point he was 6-6 but they were all big plays down the field from play action.

13. Atmore

Atmore Active Member

I wish run/pass commit was out of the game and play action was more effective

14. PaHsFootballRules

PaHsFootballRules Member

Team:
    FOOTBAW
    I know I keep saying it but Army's offense was something to watch! They actually use a TE regularly! I love it. Anyone care to do a write up on their offense? I am currently finalizing mine but it won't be done for a week or so. I keep adding and subtracting stuff. It doesn't help that I can't shake my love for the power game. Currently, my book has a few pro sets, but I may add more. I like to keep my books at no more than 20 formations and I'm currently 15. I will finalize my audibles and do some testing with what I have this week.

15. Atmore

Atmore Active Member

Watching Army vs. Buffalo now.... I hate they changed the Speed Options in 2014 and the B-Back doesn't go out as a lead blocker anymore.... only in Flex Close does he go out as a blocker

16. PaHsFootballRules

PaHsFootballRules Member

Team:
    FOOTBAW
    I never include flex close in my books. After watching Army use split wing X & Z and normal i'm debating if I can pull that off too. I doubt it since the splits are too close and all the plays aren't there in the split wing sets.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  17. Atmore

Atmore Active Member

Army did alooooooooooot of plays that are not in the game but Flex Close is a Gem! Counter Option "gives" can easily be taken to the house.... There is a pass play in that formation that damn beats all coverage no changes.... I play in Normal and Close mainly then Twins to stretch the defense.... Wing trips just for a different look and get a mismatch

18. Atmore

Atmore Active Member

This the play I call it when I'm on one of the far hash marks.... whatever side the B-Back is running his pattern is always towards the short side of the field (so by play diagram that's the right side)

So Triangle and Square beats man
    X and Circle can beat alot of coverages but say it's Cover 3 if your patient the defender in the flats zone will trade off of X to cover R1 and that's when you gun it to X.... or even Circle in the little gap between say purple zone or LB in Yellow

uploadfromtaptalk1410247142526.jpg

19. Atmore

Atmore Active Member

One thing about Close unless they press WR straight put the huddle it's so much easier to know if they are on zone or man.... so from a passing perspective look at the compressed/ tight sets in shotgun and you can make those yourself

[​IMG]

Close Corners or Playaction Corner Flat do you know how many plays you can make with this? Send both A-Backs on drags.... Put one on drag and one slant.... put one on slant the other drag and one Wr on Streak and etc....
    uploadfromtaptalk1410247918849.jpg

JSU Zack likes this.
  20. Atmore

Atmore Active Member

Another favorite pass I use from Close.... this is for short yardage or inside the 10 with ball in the middle of the field....Hike the ball run right (if QB is right handed) about to steps then drop back and your A-Should ne open if not check the Safeties for the WR running similar route.... then you have the C route or B B-Back out the backfield for a check down

uploadfromtaptalk1410248391760.jpg

JSU Zack likes this.