• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

nUtopia's broke

170645523_eacbb1ad37.jpg

Rando

I don't even know what the purpose of this forum really is.

I only use it for the NCAA 14 online dynasty. I found the forum at operation sports. I'm actually curious how this place got started...is it just like a sports forum? Video game forum?

guardman23

I don't even know what the purpose of this forum really is.

I only use it for the NCAA 14 online dynasty. I found the forum at operation sports. I'm actually curious how this place got started...is it just like a sports forum? Video game forum?
It started when the NCAA series didn't suck an was fun to play. Then after NCAA 12 it turned into a sports/Off topic kinda place.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
At one point there was a thread about how everyone ended up here. I don't know if we have one currently. I would point @Rando there if it still exists but I don't see one.

Rando

Nutopia started as an NCAA forum but is now an OOTP forum, home to the best futuristic sim baseball league this side of Sagatarrius A*

I'm an avid player of CSFBL and I have been since I was in middle school so that's over 10 years

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
Christ, another millennial? You might as well just start taking my life advice now. Have a seat and let me tell you about hobo dates and why they are the most important measure of a prospective spouse...
I always laughed at the hobo date idea, but I met my girlfriend on a camping trip where we were on an island with the only running water source being a spigot a half mile away. I see the thinking behind the hobo date now....

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Sit beside me, my millennial son... Listen closely to wait I say, and if you do this, it'll help you some sunny day.

Before I describe the HOBO DATE, I need to tell you about the problem it solves:

The worst part about dating is that everyone is encouraged to play some societal archetype character role rather than being their authentic selves. This changes with every generation, but for me I was always in love with the MANIC PIXIE DREAM GIRL or whatever archetype that was really popular back in the early aughts. That ultra quirky girl next door who listened to indie music, freed lobsters from their tanks at the grocery store, played the ukulele, etc. So I dated these girls and I tried on different roles myself. Was I a jock? A prep? A mock frat boy hipster? A Nicholas Sparks novel sensitive bad boy? I tried them all on for size and none of them fit. So anyways a couple months would pass and the characters would slip a bit and we'd find out we actually loathed each other because neither of us was remotely close to the archetype that we initially portrayed. Either that or the girls were ACTUALLY manic and they'd get bored of my simple life and move away to a tree house in Virgin Islands or to Austin to live with some 60 year Charlie Manson looking motherfucker who paints spiders. Actual manic girls do not make ideal spouses either!

So the worst part of all of this is in order to get better at dating/hookup culture you have to get BETTER at holding your selected role for longer and longer until eventually you trap someone desirable into a relationship that is too hard to leave. We're all just animals who respond to conditioning, so we accept our training and get better and better at playing a role. "Well that relationship lasted 6 months instead of 2 months like the last one! LOOKS LIKE BEING AN ABUSIVE ASSHOLE IS THE TICKET FOR THESE GIRLS WITH DADDY ISSUES!" I've seen good friends do this, and I know them both personally and neither of them is remotely close to the role they play with each other, but they keep their roles up for YEARS as long as they are around each other (even living together or getting married). Then one day the princess accidentally rips a big fart, or Mr. Joe Cool has a panic attack because work is getting stressful and the illusion is shattered and it is breakup time because you both finally realize that the person you are dating/married to is actually NOTHING like the image of them you've created in your mind. Either that or you eventually BECOME what you were pretending to be (insert Kurt Vonnegut quote here). The weirdest part is that as a young adult, you can't even be objective about who YOU actually are because you probably don't know. You will never be more of a constantly changing and evolving person than you are during the prime dating periods of your life, so some of this is natural and some of it is a societal acceptance cycle.

So how can you ever know if you are seeing the AUTHENTIC VERSION of either your date or yourself? Adversity, young man, adversity. Nothing reveals who you actually are like piling on a bunch of shit you can't handle and seeing how you come out of it. The problem with traditional dating is that by the time you face your first true adversity as a couple you might be months or even years into the relationship! You want to find someone who is compatible with, and reacts well to, the type of adversity you might regularly experience in the lifestyle you will choose to live together. This is the problem my roommate in college kept running into when he'd date girls from his youth group. Everything would be going just fine for the first few weeks, but the first time he would break character as the preppy youth group kid and show his "raised in the barrio" by doing a little bit of dumpster diving for food when money was getting tight, and the girl would freak out. The first sign of adversity and they bail? WTF?

Thus the hobo date was born. Stay tuned for part 2 for the SOLUTION.

Last edited:

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
@hayvis I just found someone new, so I'm making him listen to my 50% true stories on a Friday afternoon, as is tradition.

So anyway, where did we leave off?

PART 2 THE SOLUTION.... J/K more background on the HOBO DATE

The catalyst event for the hobo date idea was when my roommate, we'll call him Kevin, had been dating this nice girl for about a month. Girls really fell for him because he they all pictured him as that Christopher McCandless "Into The Wild" iconoclast archetype that was so popular at the time. He was a free spirit with a hint of danger about him, which appealed to their repressed Catholic upbringings, but it wasn't like he was a drug dealer either. Their mistake was that Kevin wasn't just playing a "role," he was one of those few authentic people who WERE just like whatever archetype was hot on the dating scene at that point. To put him in perspective, my mom always says "If you were still 12 years old, I wouldn't let you and Kevin play together." So anyway, he's been dating this similarly "free spirit" girl (We'll call her Heather) for about a month when spring break approaches. Obviously since it is spring break, MUST go have some INTO THE WILD type adventure that Kevin is always going on.

Fast forward a week, and she's completely abandoned Kevin and is stuck in police custody in Nicaragua (Nothing actually serious, there was a passport stamping miscommunication with the wrong date, long story) trying to get daddy to save her in what becomes a minor international incident. So Kevin ends up making it back to college, eventually, after about 10 more days of hitch hiking, riding buses, working as a migrant farmer, etc. Basically his ideal spring break! They break up, obviously, and Kevin says to me "You know, I thought Heather was on the same page as me, but she really didn't handle that police interrogation well at all." "Just imagine how freaked out she'd have been if something bad would have happened." So I mentioned that perhaps he was setting the bar for "sense of adventure" just a tad high, since by that time even I wouldn't accompany him on his more intense adventures. Maybe he ought to ease these girls into dating him, so they have fair expectations, before just finding themselves in jail in Nicaragua? So he decided to take his typical adventure, scale it back by about 50% on intensity, provide easy ways out, and call it a date. THE HOBO DATE was born.

Stay tuned for Part 3. THE SOLUTION I decided to make it 3 parts today because it is FRIDAY FUNERAL and I'm bored. Hope the new kid enjoys it.

Last edited:

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
PART 3 THE SOLUTION

So not all of us are as insane as Kevin, so we need to adapt and tailor the HOBO DATE to our own specific lifestyles, and the possible adversity you might expect given those lifestyle choices. Basically you just want to consider the type of predicaments you regularly get yourself into and then design a date with some built in adversity so you can both see how the other reacts under a little stress, but in a situation that is planned enough to provide safe and easy outs if you aren't having fun with each other. You don't want to be in Nicaragua before you realize you don't want to be around this person anymore. Make this like a first or second date and encourage them to come up with something that will similarly test you against the possible pitfalls of their preferred lifestyle. For some of you a hobo date might be something completely different like "You watch desperate housewives on your ipad while I play video games with Utopians for 12 hours straight!" That's probably what my hobo date would be like now, lol.

So for me, I was a poor college dude who like to go out to old town and have a good time and just let the party/fun take me wherever without really any concrete plans. I didn't have a TV or vidya games at that time, so every night was more of an exercise in finding ways to entertain myself without getting arrested. Now this is pretty "normal" for a college kid, but you'd still be amazed at how many people just completely fold and give up when they find themselves 5 miles away from home at 2AM with no money and no cell phone. My adventures were hardly on the same level of intensity as Kevin's, it's not like I had to barter with Tarahumara Indians for food 22 days into a trek through Copper Canyon.... but still I dated a lot of girls who would just freak out and cry at even the idea of walking a mile home.

So my hobo date was as follows:
1. Start at the house with no money (no credit cards allowed either!)
2. Go to old town (3 miles away at the time)
3. Have dinner
4. Have drinks
5. Make it home (however far that may be)

(See @osick87 how close our date was? I mean we started with money and I didn't hump you in an alley, but otherwise it was pretty damn close)

So anyway, the built in adversity was being able to create a good time without starting with a plan, transportation, or money. A fair few girls bailed on me before I'd even finished explaining the premise, lol. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED, no time wasted figuring out we aren't going to be remotely compatible. Some dates went ok, but just weren't really that fun and we just didn't click. You can fake a connection in a coffee shop, but can you fake it while riding a bus at 2 AM?

Eventually I found a girl who thrived on hobo dates and handled all forms of minor adversity with dignity and aplomb. I married her and life is great. Even Kevin managed to find someone after nearly a decade of looking and is married now too! Who knew that there were still women who accept hitchhiking and train hopping as primary forms of transportation? (though he admittedly started to naturally tone down a bit to more reasonable levels before it happened).

So there you go! If you wanna find someone cool, I recommend rejecting traditional stuffy/boring/forced conversation bullshit of forced dates, e-dating, hookup culture, etc. Take a girl on a hobo date instead! UR WELCOME.

osick87

Community Liaison
PART 3 THE SOLUTION

So not all of us are as insane as Kevin, so we need to adapt and tailor the HOBO DATE to our own specific lifestyles, and the possible adversity you might expect given those lifestyle choices. Basically you just want to consider the type of predicaments you regularly get yourself into and then design a date with some built in adversity so you can both see how the other reacts under a little stress, but in a situation that is planned enough to provide safe and easy outs if you aren't having fun with each other. You don't want to be in Nicaragua before you realize you don't want to be around this person anymore. Make this like a first or second date and encourage them to come up with something that will similarly test you against the possible pitfalls of their preferred lifestyle. For some of you a hobo date might be something completely different like "You watch desperate housewives on your ipad while I play video games with Utopians for 12 hours straight!" That's probably what my hobo date would be like now, lol.

So for me, I was a poor college dude who like to go out to old town and have a good time and just let the party/fun take me wherever without really any concrete plans. I didn't have a TV or vidya games at that time, so every night was more of an exercise in finding ways to entertain myself without getting arrested. Now this is pretty "normal" for a college kid, but you'd still be amazed at how many people just completely fold and give up when they find themselves 5 miles away from home at 2AM with no money and no cell phone. My adventures were hardly on the same level of intensity as Kevin's, it's not like I had to barter with Tarahumara Indians for food 22 days into a trek through Copper Canyon.... but still I dated a lot of girls who would just freak out and cry at even the idea of walking a mile home.

So my hobo date was as follows:
1. Start at the house with no money (no credit cards allowed either!)
2. Go to old town (3 miles away at the time)
3. Have dinner
4. Have drinks
5. Make it home (however far that may be)

(See @osick87 how close our date was? I mean we started with money and I didn't hump you in an alley, but otherwise it was pretty damn close)

So anyway, the built in adversity was being able to create a good time without starting with a plan, transportation, or money. A fair few girls bailed on me before I'd even finished explaining the premise, lol. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED, no time wasted figuring out we aren't going to be remotely compatible. Some dates went ok, but just weren't really that fun and we just didn't click. You can fake a connection in a coffee shop, but can you fake it while riding a bus at 2 AM?

Eventually I found a girl who thrived on hobo dates and handled all forms of minor adversity with dignity and aplomb. I married her and life is great. Even Kevin managed to find someone after nearly a decade of looking and is married now too! Who knew that there were still women who accept hitchhiking and train hopping as primary forms of transportation? (though he admittedly started to naturally tone down a bit to more reasonable levels before it happened).

So there you go! If you wanna find someone cool, I recommend rejecting traditional stuffy/boring/forced conversation bullshit of forced dates, e-dating, hookup culture, etc. Take a girl on a hobo date instead! UR WELCOME.

6. Doze off on the couch watching Trailer Park Boys

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
This should've gone in the pubers lie about banging thread.

Would read again tho

Rando

I forgot to mention it also helps if she's half ur age, because women mature faster mentally. So start college when you are 36, like I did.

I don't want to be considered a pedophile brah. 12.5 is just a few years too young.

Rando

I will note that I was driving all day. That big block of text was very intimidating on a Samsung S5.

I downloaded an app that could read any text you put into it. And that's how I listened to post #1. It was pretty funny with the British accent chick voice.