• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

New Playoff Format

Change playoff format?

• Yes

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • No

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
PROPOSED NEW FORMAT:

First round (best of 3): 6v3, 5v4
Divisional round (best of 5): (6v3) v 2 / (5v4) v 1
LCS/World Series rounds still best of 7

OK so this is the "issue" with all of the things that are being discussed that I've been talking about. Should we change the playoff system?

I think a poll for yes/no to start then if it is yes, introduce the new systems. I made the poll 7 days.

I think we should expand the playoffs but also shorten series. So you increase the value of finishing higher, have a better chance of making the playoffs and add some more importance to the regular season. Here is an example of a new system:

Round 1: 5v4 in a one-game playoff. You could also do 3v6, 4v5 OR do 6v5 winner plays 4, winner into "regular" tournament.
Another idea is give a 1 seed a bye to the LCS, introduce 2 seed to the LDS, and have it be 6v3 and 5v4 then those winners get to the LDS. Or a ladder of 6v5 plays 4 who plays 3.

Shorten the LDS to 5 games
Keep the LCS/WS the same.

There are lots of options. I think the current set up of best-of-7 and no real difference between 1st and 4th place makes the regular season boring. No reason to strive for 1,2,3 seeds. No chance for a few owners. A hot 6 seed who won 68 games would be awesome.

Introduction of LIVE one-game playoffs increase interest in post-season too.

Last edited:

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I'll say it once then never again: Double Elim is the answer

Anyways, I may be open to a 4v5 series, or a full sacrificial style all-home round 1.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
4v5 and 6v3 best of 3
1 and 2 in LDS best of 5. Gives those teams the chance to set up their rotation
LCS best of 7.

NML

I voted no, there’s enough of an advantage to finishing with more wins due to budgets

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
4v5 and 6v3 best of 3
1 and 2 in LDS best of 5. Gives those teams the chance to set up their rotation
LCS best of 7.

This is not gonna help have nots, but I like it. I’d need to know specifics before voting otherwise I’m don’t know camp

doh

This is not gonna help have nots, but I like it. I’d need to know specifics before voting otherwise I’m don’t know camp
More teams get playoff revenue. The top teams will get less playoff revenue would help.

Increases the importance of getting higher seeds so the race for 2 means something. Teams at the top may trade more to avoid that first round series.

I was thinking one-game playoff to give 6,5 seeds a better chance in that first round. But 3 game would be cool too.

doh

I voted no, there’s enough of an advantage to finishing with more wins due to budgets
Aren't we limiting budgets?

And yeah -- that's kinda how it works. Teams that win more games get some advantages. You should want teams to win games.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Lets make that the official proposal, update the OP. I don't want to vote for some random playoff arrangement, I want there to be an idea.

I like the idea of 12/16 teams making the playoffs because I think that'll help overall engagement. Basically everyone is in the playoff race until the last month unless they are tanking (and even then they might accidentally make it!). I like the idea of teams 3-6 essentially getting extra games revenue wise, compared to 1-2.. To me, this makes a 3 or even 5 game series more appealing than a 1 game playoff... just sim that round all at once, regardless. I also like the idea of there being an incentive for getting 2nd seed, I would have made a trade this year to try to compete for that... instead I'm just comfortable somewhere between 2-4.

NML

There’s some limitations with the OOTP playoff structure. For example, you can’t set up multiple play in rounds with 5 teams.

doh

I like the idea of 12/16 teams making the playoffs because I think that'll help overall engagement. Basically everyone is in the playoff race until the last month unless they are tanking (and even then they might accidentally make it!). I like the idea of teams 3-6 essentially getting extra games revenue wise, compared to 1-2.. To me, this makes a 3 or even 5 game series more appealing than a 1 game playoff... just sim that round all at once, regardless. I also like the idea of there being an incentive for getting 2nd seed, I would have made a trade this year to try to compete for that... instead I'm just comfortable somewhere between 2-4.
Yep... With the current system there is virtually no difference between being 1st and 4th. Teams at the top have zero interest once we get to August a lot of years. Similarly lots of teams will be added to bubble to have more interest.

I just like the shorter first round because you add more variance and more of a reason to want to avoid. A 1 or 3 game series should terrify a 3 seed more than a 5 game one. In particular-- a one-game playoff too would be must watch live sim vs. a 3-5 game series. You decrease the advantage for 1-2 seeds too who in a 3/5 game series can perfectly set up rotations.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Yep... With the current system there is virtually no difference between being 1st and 4th. Teams at the top have zero interest once we get to August a lot of years. Similarly lots of teams will be added to bubble to have more interest.
This is silly. Like everything else it has more to do with active owners. Even if you are a 1, why aren’t you trying to get better for the playoffs? When the league was active races weren’t over in August. The fact that teams finished so close to each other is the reason everyone wanted the current playoff setup.

doh

Your obsession with my simulation baseball team is getting weird.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
doh’s races haven’t been close because he has a $20m head start
Probably, but I personally haven’t really tried in at least 10 seasons. When I was in an active league with @doh I think things were pretty competitive.

doh

Probably, but I personally haven’t really tried in at least 10 seasons. When I was in an active league with @doh I think things were pretty competitive.
The main problem that teams aren't trying and OTTO blows.

@Rutgers Mike is about to have a 15 or so win improvement, make the playoffs because he joined and actively tried to win. Berlin hasn't made it in 10+ seasons. It's not this impossible hill to climb. It's just try a little and you'll win.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
The main problem that teams aren't trying and OTTO blows.

@Rutgers Mike is about to have a 15 or so win improvement, make the playoffs because he joined and actively tried to win. Berlin hasn't made it in 10+ seasons. It's not this impossible hill to climb. It's just try a little and you'll win.

To be fair I was kinda disengaged until I realized I was like 6 games out of 2nd and in the playoff mix. Bringing a guy like Stinson up, for better or worse, has increased my immersion. I don’t really expect a lot out of this bunch, but I definitely have spent more than 5 minutes a day the last week or so.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Also, I finally won a championship in one of my FOF online leagues. That and $3 gets me a Quick Chek iced coffee, but it still makes me feel better after god knows how many seasons

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
If ur trying you make the playoffs. Doh has made the playoffs a million years in a row because he's the only owner who hasn't gotten bored of trying. Everyone else eventually wants a new challenge, but Doh an OOTP cyborg far more advanced than OTTO.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Unfortunately, this has already been done to an extent you'll never be able to replicate because I'll THREWN THE GAUNTLET at you and claim them!
That's ok. You can take their shitty salary, as long as you let me win first.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
@hayvis, for historical reference... I saw @doh cut his franchise hero to save money, so I signed him and sent him to my A franchise to be a LEADER because I thought it would Troll Doh to have his HERO play his remaining days in WACO, but Doh doesn't care about stuff like that... Then the mongoloid Wooly took my idea and did what he always did and turned it up to SPERGE MODE 11, by signing all of my castoff Minor League HEROS and demoting them to A-ball where they set unreachable records! This did bother me!

Jason Kelly was the GOAT minor league power bat with 63 HRs and Clement Launay was getting on base at .500

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
@hayvis, for historical reference... I saw @doh cut his franchise hero to save money, so I signed him and sent him to my A franchise to be a LEADER because I thought it would Troll Doh to have his HERO play his remaining days in WACO, but Doh doesn't care about stuff like that... Then the mongoloid Wooly took my idea and did what he always did and turned it up to SPERGE MODE 11, by signing all of my castoff Minor League HEROS and demoting them to A-ball where they set unreachable records! This did bother me!

Jason Kelly was the GOAT minor league power bat with 63 HRs and Clement Launay was getting on base at .500

and Jason Kelly's HR record was broken by Randolph "Rutgers Mike" Martin this year.