• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

New League Discussion

NML

Another factor is removing IFA allows big teams to spend more on player dev and scouting once that money is freed up for them.

I don’t get this... everyone has that ability, and big budgets can spend more in literally every avenue, that’s why it’s more important to lower the top budget

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Here is the most moronic part of your entire argument: let's say you're a small budget team and you want to spend most of your money on youth talent one year. In this new, non-IFA system, you can't. You only have one avenue: a draft where after the 1st round everyone has about the same chance of getting good players.

It also makes no sense to cry about the imbalance of a league then have big budget teams INCREASE what they spend on major league talent.

NML

I don’t see how dropping ur budget $20m allows you to spend more on FAs

If you want to overpay for FA talent, that’s great. That’s exactly how False Bay and Buffalo dynasties fell apart.

And not allowing a team to tank an entire year’s salary on IFA will 1) decrease incentive to tank and 2) incentivize them to spend on FA, which will increase the cost of FAs to bigger budget teams, will makes them stuck with bigger contracts and therefore more likely to struggle and drop their budget

doh

Another factor is removing IFA allows big teams to spend more on player dev and scouting once that money is freed up for them. I think a hard cap of 3-5M is the best to get our feet wet and if it's still a problem we'll revisit in 5 seasons or so
Yep. Eliminating a part of the game does not change much. Increasing taxes would be the best option because you want to increase dead money that bigger budget teams have as a sunk cost.

Luxury tax I still think is a good option.

But some of this economic logic... I wish @Bdub was still giving accounting classes.

doh

I don’t see how dropping ur budget $20m allows you to spend more on FAs

If you want to overpay for FA talent, that’s great. That’s exactly how False Bay and Buffalo dynasties fell apart.

And not allowing a team to tank an entire year’s salary on IFA will 1) decrease incentive to tank and 2) incentivize them to spend on FA, which will increase the cost of FAs to bigger budget teams, will makes them stuck with bigger contracts and therefore more likely to struggle and drop their budget
So a system where you can only build through the draft will decrease people tanking? :laughing:

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Fuck I’ve been playing OOTP since 2001 and I still don’t know what the fuck to do with my minors. Managing the farm system probably my least favorite part of this game

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I think it’s both. You want the big budgets teams to have less money, but also more places to spend it. The goal would be to make them choose between extensions, FA and IFA. Right now, doh can do all three because his budget is crazy and also because there are too many teams on Otto.

doh

I think it’s both. You want the big budgets teams to have less money, but also more places to spend it. The goal would be to make them choose between extensions, FA and IFA. Right now, doh can do all three because I’m his budget is crazy and also because there are too many teams on Otto.
Ding ding ding. You want teams to have to make choices where to spend their money. If you limit where they spend it, it's not good for balance.

That's where a higher tax comes into play too.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Right, but you should probably only have $175-180M to spend to help the balance.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
I think it’s both. You want the big budgets teams to have less money, but also more places to spend it. The goal would be to make them choose between extensions, FA and IFA. Right now, doh can do all three because his budget is crazy and also because there are too many teams on Otto.

Has anyone checked in on hiring staff and coaches recently? Back in the day, we turned this off because it was OP and too predictable. Eg if bug market teams hired best Dev staffs, they'd have the best development. Best corches meant best performance. It was super OP in single player.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
I will say most leagues turn IFA and staff off. It simplifies variables.

However the tanking gets so bad even my former league put in a draft lottery.

Also, no other leagues have managed what OU and the Os managed with leveling the playing field and allowing anyone to get to be a HAVE by winning. Most leagues have true small and big market teams, and that's what you sign up for.

This is the first debate we've had around this in a while because there really aren't HAVE NOTS anymore. Just losers.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
The most fun way to sort out the financials is if there was a way to make owners unpredictable. Just suddenly pull the cash out.

Schauwn

Who's available? And who has an extra copy of '19? Really dont want to buy it before we move to '20 in a month.

doh

I agree with Rad. The financials don't really need to be sorted out. The environment set up is as good as it gets when it comes to being fair financially.

The giant gap is due to people not playing or just starting to get good.

I'm fine with limiting budgets because of where the league has gone. But it's not due to a bad set up by @OU11 @Orlando and others. The financial set up is extremely fair.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
LMAO at the last 3 pages

so, here's where i think a happy marriage b/t what nml was proposing to do vs the olds

got the idea from Travis btw

but basically, instead of thrusting any new/old members from this board into a team, have a current manager take a prospective one under the wing to help co manage a team currently in use

one season, then let the prospect run one of the non human controlled teams in the next season still keeping the current league in tact while filling in with more human teams. If there still AI teams, then go to OOTP and recruit

thoughts?? be honest, nothing will hurt my feelings if you think its trash

My thought is you should take NDR over for a year and I'll help you with anything you need help with. There really won't be much flexibility next year anyway, since I have everything pretty well set for a playoff run. After that you can either take them or leave them!

Also, reply to my PM, lol.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
I’m not necessarily sure we should get rid of the IFA, but maybe we can tweak it and raise the cap so teams can go in there every year. Maybe.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
I don't know if the every other year thing is changeable
Can you change the limits doe? I think it’s 4million right now where you get locked out the next year. If the limit goes to like 7 or so , that puts you in like 2 solid prospect range before getting locked out

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
41Bftck5T-L.jpg

NML

Do the O’s have a plan for implementing some of these rule changes? Especially the ones that will affect budgets - lower ticket price caps will change budgets for next year (if they are put in place for this year, I believe)

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Prolly once playoffs start so new budgets don't affect team's ability to sign FA or whatever. Gonna do IFA Cap for now, then some financial tweaks (+ shoring up Otto teams that can't sign picks if applicable) and go from there

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
NML temporarily turned the oven down from 500 degrees, because that was too hot to bake cookies and the first batch burned... Now he started a second batch in the oven, but is getting impatient with how they are cooking at 350 and is turning the oven up to 375 now!

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Rookie League we can set up in the offseason. If we want it to be like AZFL that may require moving the draft to during the season, so we have to be on board with that, but if not I'll set it up in the offseason and have everyone opt in or out

Financial Tweaks are in the lab TBD

NML

NML temporarily turned the oven down from 500 degrees, because that was too hot to bake cookies and the first batch burned... Now he started a second batch in the oven, but is getting impatient with how they are cooking at 350 and is turning the oven up to 375 now!

I’m not sure this analogy is still working but :thumbsup:

I’m just checking if anything is actually gon happen or if it’s gon go away once I stop being oldmanyellingatcloud

NML

Prolly once playoffs start so new budgets don't affect team's ability to sign FA or whatever

Im pretty sure that once you change the cap or whatever, the projected revenue will change and so will the budgets

I don’t know what the best approach is, but if you change it before the updated budget sim (the HoF I think?), they gon drop for our top teams

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
IF we want to do a rookie league and move the draft earlier in the season, can we Commit to a ROUND 1 LIVE DRAFT EXTRAVAGANZA?