1. We have updated to a new version of XenForo. If you were using the "Kella" custom style, you need to switch to the Utopia or Alternate style. Do this in your user preferences.
    Dismiss Notice

NCAA Defensive Discussion

Discussion in 'NCAA Football Discussion' started by bruin228, Feb 13, 2014.

1. CoachTuck

CoachTuck Member

Team:
    The Ohio State University
    He googled it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. JSU Zack

JSU Zack How do I IT?

Team:
    Alabama
    But how did the original uploader get it? Hrm...

3. bruin228

bruin228 Madden Mobile Addict NCAA Moderator

Team:
    LEACH
    It's from EA when the game was coming out.

4. Atmore

Atmore Active Member

Maaaaan I want to thank you this has helped my defense so much. I run 425 and sometimes end up in funny alignments with DL one way, LBs and SSs another. I fill in leftover gaps with backside player or FS. I've seen it so many tines were they run into an interior blocker and gives more time to make the tackle. Thank you man

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

fanoftgame likes this.
  5. fanoftgame

fanoftgame Active Member

Google search, its not mine

6. fanoftgame

fanoftgame Active Member

Glad I could help

Atmore likes this.
  7. fanoftgame

fanoftgame Active Member

Also don't forget to pay attention the the alignment of the backs to tip you off to the type of runs you may face. Ex: if the back is parallel to the qb expect: iz zone read, regular oz. If he is slightly behind the qb or in pistol the oz is pretty much eliminated so make sure your front is prepared to handled inside runs.

bluejay13 likes this.
  8. Atmore

Atmore Active Member

Yeah I figured that part out but getting people set can be a task if they are doing no huddle. For outside zone RB alignment I try to keep a DE outside the playside tackle and scrape way outside with FS to force a cut back inside to LBs. I also have DL rush playside to also force a longer path to the outside. Pistol blocking is tricky to me though because the run can go anywhere inside and I don't always take the correct angle towards the runner.

bluejay13 likes this.
  9. fanoftgame

fanoftgame Active Member

Smart keeping DE outside the playside tackle(assuming there is no TE). That's exactly what you want to do.

Pistol can be tough because technically they can run anywhere even oz. That's one of the reason a couple years ago I became more of a prostyle undercenter guy. I like the ability to run anywhere without tipping off the defense. The pistol does this with the added ability to run iz read game. TBH if I was a real coach I'd probably run a pistol type offense.

But yea pistol can be tough especially sets with no slot to cheat off of. However, the essence of strategy is maximissing your strength and limiting your weaknesses.

If you are in single high defense the strength of your defense in the running game (numerically) will between the tackles. That's where your want to force the ball. Are you going to stop them for no gain every play? No, but over the course of the game if you are force the run into your numbers on a consistent basis you should have the advantage. Especially since I don't feel the pistol is blocked really well consistently in this game.

Make sure you watching your opponent and gaining information and tendencies. What is the initial track(the path the rb should be taking based on playart) of the of rb? If it A gap(s) the put people there and take away his lineman leverage against you.

Long story short I think your doing the right thing. Your taking away his ability to maximize the strength of the play by taking away his aiming point gaps, and forcing him into your numbers. That's pretty much the best you can do. It's hard to stop the zone read in this game.

(For my basketball fans)It's like playing steph curry the best strategy is to switch all screens and force him to take tough off the dribble shots. However, alot of the times he still kills you with that. Sux but, it doesn't change the fact that its still the best strategy against him. Defensively you want to take away you opponents strengths and make him beat you with his weaknesses over the course of an entire game (even if its a good weakness :) )

Atmore likes this.
  10. Atmore

Atmore Active Member

Man I was giving up 150+ in the run game but now it's right at 100 and lower. The only reason they get that is off QB scrambles. The best ypc for a RB has been 4.0 and for this game thats good for this game. I've been getting more INTs because they are being forced to pass.

fanoftgame likes this.
  11. fanoftgame

fanoftgame Active Member

[​IMG]

That's what I like to hear

Atmore likes this.
  12. guardman23

guardman23 Well-Known Member

Team:
    Alabama
    I've got better at usering vs the pass the run is still a nightmare

Atmore likes this.
  13. guardman23

Team:
    Alabama
    @JSU Zack this storm is sitting right on top of us an keeps fucking stuff up I'll be on later hopefully

14. JSU Zack

JSU Zack How do I IT?

Team:
    Alabama
    #CableOne

15. guardman23

Team:
    Alabama
    The connection was OK Alabama power just sucks

16. LEGEND

LEGEND Well-Known Member

Team:
    Miami
    Found a overload blitz that works consistently with one simple adjustment. If they have more than two players running routes... it will get there! If you slide protect... It will still get there!
    It's not a nano... It's strictly more rushers than you can block. The reason slide protect doesn't work is... The overload comes from angles. It's the Lb's that shoot through. If you slide... You'll pick up Lb's but a DE or DT will go through untouched.

My only issues so far... Is finding plays that look similar. I could send it every down... But that's cheesy! The pressure is so intense... They have at most 2.5 seconds b4 being sacked. So with the pressure... comes many sacks and picks. If they try to quick pass they risk db's jumping the routes or throwing directly to a blitzing LB. I came across it completely by accident. I had 1* TX St. In a dynasty.. You had to start as a 1* team.

I was three seasons behind the other users. So their teams were stacked! I had decent Db's but they lacked speed. I was getting killed in man and zone! I started the season 0-3

I decided I had to blitz and it had to get there! I initially Found the blitz... but it worked occasionally. I made various adjustments and came across the simple crashing of the defensive line. I reeled off 10 str8 wins including the bowl game.

Actually... I may have just come up with a compliment blitz and coverage while writing this... I'll test later when I get home and update this post.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  17. guardman23

Team:
    Alabama
    Pinch the d line then crash out re blitz the olbs an spread them?

18. LEGEND

LEGEND Well-Known Member

Team:
    Miami
    I don't want to give it away just yet... But that's not it. You show blitz crash D line... Move OLB that's just off LOS.. You put him on LOS.

19. LEGEND

LEGEND Well-Known Member

Team:
    Miami
    Actually, found another blitz to go with this one... It uses the same setup! It's from 3-3-5 Sam.

20. JAR201166

JAR201166 Well-Known Member

Team:
    Alabama
    Go on I hate it but run commit is the only thing I can find to counter act the aggressive blocking setting