• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Milo's FM 2013 American Soccer Dynasty

Milo

Ha. On one hand I enjoy the vast array of options the sliders offer. Though, it can be really easy to build a formation that's counterintuitive or just flat out broken. It also feels unrealistic to specify a defensive line at 14 rather than to tell the players to keep a high line.

The reason I'm doing this in 13 is because I have no where near the time to recreate this database in 14.

Last edited:

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
One specific example I noticed is that if I give the players a team shouts of "work the ball into the box and retain possesion" while giving the wingers individual instructions to "cross more and stay wide" then I found that my wingers would often run with the ball up the flank and then get to the endline and sort of have seizure of indecision as they weighed their instructions to spam crosses with the instruction to play the ball back to the trailing midfielder and hold possession. It is almost exactly the type of indecision you see in our wing players in Pro Clubs when OU yells at them to cross it in to Leroy while Kella yells at them to pass it back to Hans who is at the corner of the box. Anyway, it tends to lead to Pitropia being dispossessed or putting a too-late cross off the shins of a defender who had time to recover... HMMMMMM where have I seen this? Really either decision would be fine, but the lack of decision blows...

Milo

If you ain't first(Danbury), you're last(Bristol). Went from playing the best to the worst team in the league.

After our previous game against Bristol(no shots, 1-1 draw), I was due some bad karma. However, the Kickballers must spend their free time punching old ladies.

Won 3-0 and even scored a fluke goal.

BristolvSpring_zps0fdeaf16.png~original

The goal in the 87th minute was the flukey one. Louie Taylor tried to cross it into the box and it went right over their keeper's head. Not into the corner, but basically in the top, dead center of the goal.

Being the ungrateful millennial that I am, I was a little annoyed that, after the disaster at Danbury, my lucky goal came after I was leading 2-0.

Warwick lost against Danbury(2-4) and Norwalk drew against West Hartford(1-1). However Norwalk did win their game in hand against Trenton.

Other news:

Cort_zps119f6e8c.jpg~original

Looks like a group from Idaho is going to buy a semi-professional soccer team in Massachusetts that's $500,000 in debt and hemorrhaging money for $170,000. They sound like smart businesspeople.

Also, what's it like managing this team day-to-day? Well it basically consists of telling our back-up goalkeeper that he isn't allowed to go back home(left column). After roughly 8 months of captivity, there's still so sign of Stockholm syndrome.

Mcdermott_zps12a1c0bc.jpg~original

Forgot to upload the latest table, but Trenton is now in 3rd place(last playoff spot) and we are behind them by 5 points(and they have a game in hand). However, we are currently ahead of Warwick(2 points) and even on games. Six games to go.

Norwalk is next!

Last edited:

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
An Idaho Business Consortium? :laughing:

About to become the Springfield Timbers. Maybe the Springfield White Power Militia?

Milo

Got an email from them this morning. They want to incorporate both cultures and they put forth the name the Springfield Potatoes. Let's go Spuds!

Nothing about changing the color of the field to white and blue stripes...yet.

Milo

Norwalk_zpseb73ebb0.png~original

Trenton_zps777c2bb3.png~original

Both games were similar in that I had a two score lead late, gave up a goal, was annoyed at myself for not bunkering earlier, and then scored a late goal despite parking as many buses as I could fit onto the field.

Muttonchops scored four goals in two games and just broke the Springfield record for most league goals in a season(was 12, Mutton has 14 atm.) He even scored a half-volley against Trenton. I felt this is a good time to remind everyone of my assistant's evaluation:

MoREY_zpsd7a6a552.png~original

Four games to go, table looks like this:

table4games_zps3aa7afec.png~original

Keep in mind Trenton and Meriden have games in hand.

Our remaining games:
West Hartford(Away)
Warwick(Home)
Meriden(Away)
Burlington(Home)

Other news:

Takeover was completed. We are now currently $160,000 in the black(due to a massive bank loan.) May have a chance to improve some facilities or get a parent club. They were unwilling to do so because of finances earlier in the season.

McDermott has either faked an injury or gave himself one on purpose in attempt to escape be released. Nice try, buddy. He's staying until the loan is up.

Burke(11 goals, 6 assists) picked up an injury against Trenton. He'll likely miss the West Hartford game. He's scheduled to be out 9-12 days.

Last edited:

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I'm not sure if I'm more surprised that someone posted a clip from Hook on here or if it took this long to finally see one posted.

NML

Like I told spiker many moons ago, live blog the game(s) here when you are fighting for promotion.

One, you'll be glad you have a thought-by-thought diary of the games, regardless of outcome. And two, utopia is 2 for 2 in getting promoted when doing so.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Can you give anyone a nickname?

Milo

Can you give anyone a nickname?

Yeah. Just right click on a player's name and there will be an option to "Set Nickname."

I thought my change of Cassius Wray to Muhammad Wrali was particularly inspired.

Like I told spiker many moons ago, live blog the game(s) here when you are fighting for promotion.

One, you'll be glad you have a thought-by-thought diary of the games, regardless of outcome. And two, utopia is 2 for 2 in getting promoted when doing so.

May do that for the last couple if I have a shot. Likely I'll do that if I reach the playoff.

Last edited:

Milo

Lost 2-0 to West Hartford.

No screenshot is necessary as I thought this summed it up nicely:

To be fair, that goal came in the 87th minute. We were pushing for an equalizer and it wasn't looking likely. My assumption is that, being the upstanding captain he is, Fowler didn't want poor Mark Corona to carry the shame of committing the worst mistake of the season. Having bravely held the award for most of the season with his terrible clearance/empty net goal, Fowler seized his first opportunity to reclaim it.

The first half was pretty lackluster. Fearing overconfidence, I tried to give the team a little kick in the ass at halftime, but it basically split the team 50/50. We didn't deserve to win and even a draw would have been fortunate.

Table:
Table29_zpsc43c7365.png~original

Three games to go. The Bristol Kickballers have been relegated. West Hartford's win against us have given them a glimmer of hope.

As for us, if Trenton wins their game in hand, they could vault all the way up to 2nd. Meriden still has their game in hand as well.

Muttonchops twisted his knee in the game. He's expected to miss the next 4-5 weeks. That means he'll likely miss the rest of the season. He may be available for the last game of the season, but it'll be close.

We host Warwick next. We are 0-0-3 against them this season and we lost to West Warwick 6-1 in the New England Cup. I'm expecting to be Warwhacked.

Last edited:

Milo

Okay. Thanks to NML's recommendation and the importance of the upcoming Warwick game(almost a must win), I'm going to liveblog the Warwick game. I plan to start around 3 central for those interested.

Reactions: NML

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Do you keep the in-game plays to key moments or do you watch a lot more?

NML

I do extended. I still feel like I miss a lot, but I really hit the stat page hard at halftime and post game.

Milo

Do you keep the in-game plays to key moments or do you watch a lot more?

I typically use extended and turn down the speed of the game between highlights. Key for friendlies.

Starting Line-up vs Warwick:

SpringfieldvWarwick11_zps31f35a90.png~original

Larkins in for the injured Muttonchops. Clark has been moved up and Muller shifted into Mutton's position.

Rest of the team is first choice. Trying not to overthink the match, make too many adjustments. Plan to give a calm, encouraging team-talk. Have really been pushing the passioniate, demanding speeches lately, and they haven't been very effective.

I'll kick-off in 5 minutes. Will make a new post.

Milo

Warwick come out in their orange and black stripes and a 4-4-2, a basic and simple formation that is the bane of my lopsided 'Wrath of Cod.'

Here we go!

1 - Muller starts us off.

2 - Goal Warwick. Well shit.

Throw-in deep in our half. Player that receives the ball drops the ball off and we switch off, he drifts into the box, receives the ball back and finishes near post.

10 - Warwick just misplace the last pass on a nice counter. Fowler hits it long. Clark wins the header. Burke plays it into Muller. He shoots just over from 20.

11 - Goal Warwick. Fucking Leach.

Off the goalkick, Corona loses out on the header. Ball gets switched. Two defenders get beat on the dribble and we are fucked.

15 - We aren't doing shit. Probably smart to keep our cool and calm the game down. I'm going all out on the attack.

21 - Goal Springfield! Clark! Muller somehow retained the ball after a tough tackle. We spent about 30 seconds piddling around in and around their box. Somehow get a good look. Burke with the assist.

24 - Wrali steals the ball at midfield. We are in a great position to counter. He puts the ball 40 yards out of bounds. Queued up.

26 - Their forward that scored on me is named Lazarus. An omen?

Their other scorer is named Ricky Dickens. I hate myself.

36*- GOAL LARKINS!

BURKE WINS THE HEADER, MULLER PUTS LARKINS IN ON GOAL. HE ACTUALLY FINISHED A CHANCE!

2-2!

Going to try and take 2-2 into half.

38- GOAAAAL SPRINGFIELD! THEY FUCKED UP! 3-2!!! Muller flicks on a long ball. Their defender chases it down and heads it right into the path of Clark.

HALFTIME

What the fuck just happened?

Last edited:

Milo

Halftime -

They have controlled possession and as always our flanks are being exposed. Their two goals came from an overload and a quick switch. It's the kryptonite of the Wrath of Cod.

Went all out attack, but now we are a little low on energy. Larkins is spent, he struggles with match fitness.

Not sure what team-talk to do yet. We haven't played well but are somehow in the lead.

I'll start the second half in five minutes.

Milo

Second Half

Told the team they were capable of even better. They reacted passively. We are fucked.

47 - We press well an force a turnover, Clark is put through. Misses wide from the near post.

52 - Puber long ball almost kills us. Lazarus shoots well wide.

64 - Goal Warwick.

Was in the tactics screen when it happened. Off a corner, Wrali is beat(probably my mistake for even having in the box.) 3-3.

Was just about to make some defensive subs and switch to a back 4. Bringing on Louie Taylor(forward) for Larkins(winger).

72 - GOAAAAAAAAAL! DOMINGUEZ! IVAN THE NOT SO TERRIBLE. Open look from outside the box, he smashes it in!

75 - Tapia and Matkin brought on. Switched to a back four and contain. Probably too early.

King moved back to a DM role, Burke moved back into the center midfield. No more subs.

84 - Warwick attacking like crazy. Corona and Murphy with some big headers.

87 - Murphy and Corona clear a corner and the return ball in. They are monsters.

89 - Point blank header off a corner. Lazarus puts it straight at Fowler. Thank Jebus.

Taylor moved back to a wing-back position. We are playing with a left-back and a left wingback Has no attributes suited for role. Just need bodies.

92 - Murphy loses the ball deep in our half somehow. Not shown how he received the ball. Cross goes back post. Header goes over.

FULL TIME! LEACH IS MY HERO!

Last edited:

Milo

Misdescribed their second goal in my depression. A guy named Ricky Dickens basically Kaka vs Manchester United'ed us.

Craziest game of the season. Incredible.

Last edited:

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
So I take it you micro manage the hell out of this team, giving individual instructions and configuring set pieces and whatnot?

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Should have live blogged my game against Man City. Lost 3-0, and it was 3-0 in the 25th, so my tactical adjustments only really prevented further embarrassment...

Milo

So I take it you micro manage the hell out of this team, giving individual instructions and configuring set pieces and whatnot?

It varies.

It's different because I am on 13 and use sliders, but my formations involve a lot of team slider adjustments and individual instructions. However, this is an extreme situation. It's more than typical in this case because of the odd shape of my formation. Usually, I follow the KISS principle(Keep it Simple, Stupid) with set-ups. Also, I'm trying to build a functioning team with some faulty and missing parts. I don't have two full-backs, I have no defensive midfielders, nor do I have two capable wingers. Each player has some bad flaws and, hopefully, a strength or two, so I feel inclined to use a lot of individual instructions in an attempt to minimize the former and maximum the latter. Sometimes it functions well as a team, sometimes it's a mess. When I get into long-term situations I do less with formations and focus more on scouting and development(which I enjoy more) as I tend to have archetypes for roles that I stock up on.

As for building my formations, most of my major tweaking occurs in the early part of the season as I'm trying to find what works. As the season goes on, due to my eagerness to get games in and general laziness, I don't tweak as much. In full disclosure, I was making adjustments like crazy in that Warwick game because I was live-blogging it. I typically don't unless it's a major game.

The issue for me, that shouldn't be the case for FM 14 if I remember it correctly, is that no sliders allow a little bit more fluidity and flexibility on the fly. Heavy slider set-ups in 13 do not, because if you specify a certain attacking level, closing down for an individual player, passing distance, etc, those adjustments don't carry over when you make an overall approach change(i.e. defending to attacking) or shouts that adjust team-wide behavior. Rather, since I don't want to make massive adjustments every game, I tend to create 3-4 formations/set-ups and switch to them when the situation calls for it.

Set pieces are kind of the same story. I set them before the season starts and almost certainly forget about them, sometimes to my detriment. I paid for it in the Warwick game and was bailed out by Dominguez. The player that got beat for their corner goal was Muhammad Wrali. He's like 5'6 and has 1 for jumping, but when I brought him in the starting line-up for Edson Thompson, I never reset them. So Wrali ended up marking a tall defender in the box. Oversights like that also have bitten me in the ass with penalties.

Also, set pieces are dumbed down in 13, so the creativity is a bit limited. Outside of just setting optimal instructions for my players(Big guys in box, little guys not), I don't do much nor really couldn't even if I desired.

Last edited:

Milo

In our next to last game of the season, we played Meriden.

Prior to the game, they were ahead of us by two points.

MeridenSpringfield_zps382411ed.png~original

Burke has been playing great down the stretch and Clark has picked the optimal time to break out of his scoring drought. It's possible that Clark has been struggling to score because of his typical position as a AML-Inside forward, but his goals since he was moved centrally due to Muttonchops injury have been huge.

I've played mostly an unchanged team down the stretch. We've been lucky in terms of injuries, Muttonchops being our lone man out. As you can see Murphy, our best defender, had to leave the game late, but will not miss anymore time.

Table:

Table31_zps74fc8a21.png~original

This is the situation going into the final round of games. Unfortunately for Norwalk, they are in the clubhouse. Trenton and Warwick are no longer in the running. So now there's just three teams playing and one watching for the last playoff spots- Springfield, Norwalk, Meriden, Burlington.

So, since this final stretch of games has had its fair share of drama, of course our last game is against...Burlington. Also, because I'm a big ol' stupidhead, I mixed up the order of tiebreakers and goals scored is the first instead of goal differential. Not sure if I messed up all of division 9 or just this one, I haven't checked, but it could really bite me in the ass. Whoops.

Norwalk can't jump me, Burlington can if they win, and Meriden needs a win(and a favorable result in our game) to do the same.

So basically, if Meriden(playing Warwick) and Burlington win, I'm out. If I draw or win against Burlington, I'm in the playoff.

My record against Burlington this season is 2-0-1. Each game has been high scoring(1-3, 4-1, 4-2). We are hosting.

Last edited:

NML

Glad to see you've learned ur lesson

am here. I think milo is bammer time doe

Milo

Whoops. Central.

32 games comes down to this. Burlington vs Springfield on a neutral field.

This will be Springfield's first time in the promotion playoff and we have a chance to win promotion for the first time. Burlington has won the league outright once and lost in the playoff final to Nashua in 2020.

We are 2-0-2 against Burlington this season. Each match has been high scoring(1-3, 4-2, 4-1, 1-3). We shade the combined score 10-9.

Both teams were strong down the stretch. We won 5(lost 3) out of their last 8 to climb from 5th to 3rd. Burlington out did us jumping from 6th to 2nd, winning 6(1 draw, 1 loss) out of their last 8, and ending the season routing Springfield 3-1 in a must win game. With just one week between the end of the season and the playoff, Burlington will be the more confident team and have been labeled favorites.

The Springfield starting line-up:
Fowler (c)
Bivens - Murphy - Corona
Dominguez - Wrali - Burke - King - Larkins
Clark - Muller

The bench - Tapia, Matkin, Beasley, Taylor, Dale, Peterson, Chops.

The typical Wrath of Cod. Burke will play ahead of King and Wrali in the midfield. Muttonchops will be on the bench. He lacks match fitness and Clark's recent goals have convinced me to start him instead.

Kick-off in 5 minutes.

Milo

Burlington start out in 4-4-2.

1 - Burlington starts us off.

2 - Paul Clark picks up a yellow card. Very early for that. Bad tackle. He is one of two players that have been sent off for Springfield this season.

10 - GOAL SPRINGFIELD! King finds Burke in space outside the box. Burke feeds to Muller. No pressure on Muller, he's able to turn outside the box, hits it with his left foot. Beats the keeper near post!

Replay shows both Burlington CBs closed down on Burke, leaving Muller wide open. First shot of the game for either team.

18 - Drama! Bivens dives into NE Premier leading scorer Lee Munoz in the box. Ref says no penalty, corner kick Burlington. Munoz is furious!

Larkins comes off the near post to clear the corner.

20 - Long ball from Corona finds Muller. Muller flicks it onto Clark in the channel. Clark takes a shot from distance, shanks it badly.

27 - Big switch from Burlington almost catches us out. Corona recovers just in time to clear ball out for a corner.

Bivens half-clears corner. Leads to blocked shot and scramble in the box. King just boots the ball into row Z for another corner.

Unforced error. Two defenders challenge for corner. No pressure on them but ball cleared for a 3rd Burlington corner.

Foul Munoz. Freekick to Springfield.

44 - Long freekick taken by Lee Munoz. Straight at Fowler. Was certain he'd let it go through. Munoz has had a strong first half.

45+1 - GOAAAAL SPRINGFIELD!! Burlington look to be on the break. Dominguez makes a sliding tackle at midfield to take the ball away from Munoz. Ball gets to Muller who plays a long through ball into Clark. Clark gets to the byline squares it and Muller finishes!

HALF TIME!

Last edited:

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Interested to see your tactics and how you adjust to the outcome of your last game. Getting a rematch a week later is a strange scenario, and you'd think it would favor the team who just won (especially when they won in convincing fashion and on the road) but that usually doesn't seem to be how it works in real life. Given a second chance with nothing to lose, the team who lost the previous game seems to play loser and more hungry. Think Bammer vs LSU title game rematch, the first game was a tight/ugly game marked by nerves... but in the BCS shampionship game, I think Bama had the advantage of not giving a fuck/something to prove and it paid off.

Mr. Manager would go straight overload from the starting gun for the above reasons. Look to smack the complacent side early and often :laughing:

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Do you typically start off in a balanced mentality?

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I always start out in overload and scream a lot. The best part about starting in overload is that if you go down early you don't have to adjust your tactics! :laughing:

Milo

SECOND HALF

45 - Muller starts us off.

47 - HATTRICK! MULLER STRIKES AGAIN! A goal right before halftime and another just after the restart.

Wrali under pressure, just smashes a long ball in Dominguez's direction. Dominguez with a perfect touch to bring it down then crosses to the backpost. Muller heads it straight at their keeper, their worst player. Hits him right in the hands but he's unable to keep it out.

Debating whether to go to a four man backline early. Will hold off for now. Not tight marking and hard tackling Munoz. He's been Burlington's only good player.

48 - Amazing cross by Burlington's Allen from deep. Murphy just recovers in time, diving header out for a corner. Muller clears.

50 - Goal Burlington. Good ball movement messes up ourmarking. Munoz gets space in the box and finishes from close range. 3-1.

7 shots total in the game. 4 goals.

60 - Beasley subbed in for Larkins. Will play as a wide midfielder instead of an aggressive winger. I'm starting to get nervous.

61 - Almost a disaster. Big switch from Burlington catches us out. Corona overcommits and is beaten on the dribble. Ball sent into the box isn't effectively cleared. Dominguez just blasts it away on the ensuing scramble. Corner Burlington.

Cleared by Corona.

65 - Chops on for Clark. Clark hurt. Think I made a mistake here. Should have put on a defender.

68 - Wrali freekick. Hit well, keeper has it covered.

70 - King and Wrali moved to DMs, Burke to CM. Beasley to WB. Muller to AML.

80 - Held off on last sub for as long as I could resist. Matkin on for Wrali. Matkin at RB. We give up this lead now, we are screwed for extra time.

81 - Munoz with a great chance, lobbed ball splits Matkin and Bivens. He shanks his shot from close range.

86 - Full contain. 4 centerbacks on. 1 wingback and King playing as a DM.

88 - Muttonchops hurt by a bad challenge. Has to go off. Burlington player gets a yellow. Down to 10 men. Muller up top.

90 - Panicky clearance by Fowler on a long ball. Out for a throw-in. That's fine. 3 minutes of stoppage time.

91 - Fowler just gets to a well hit driven cross. Bad kick goes straight to Burlington player. Ball goes forward quickly, Munoz with a look, hits across goal. Just wide.

93 - Hopeful longball by Burlington way too far. Fowler claims and smashes it down field.

FINAL! 3-1 Springfield.

Last edited:

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I'm glad you didn't park it early... I think that's a huge mistake when you are an underdog. After 70 minutes if you still have a 2 goal lead, park away.

Milo

Ha. Halfway through the season I was trying to put on a brave face, but I thought I was headed for relegation.

Jokes on me, doe:

At first, I was hesitant to sign anyone for an extra season in case I won promotion. With that very unlikely, I wanted to ensure I had a stable, cohesive group of players next season(if I don't get relegated and that's a big if). Surprisingly a number of players were willing to take paycuts, including Mark Corona. I was sure he would have no intention of returning. A lot of players took paycuts for an extra year and a promotion salary increase clause. With them only signing through the next season, that was a no-brainer.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
So I'm curious about how promotion/relegation works in such a pyramid type save, especially when you start as such a small team. Do you have the support/infrastructure to really compete at higher levels if you move up quickly, or is it just asking for a huge crash when you can't pay the players you need to compete?