• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Milo's FM 2013 American Soccer Dynasty

Milo

Quarterly Report 2: 2023/24

Results

spring23fix2_zps62779651.png~original

Table

Spring23B_zps3997e434.png~original

Recap

Before this quarter, I would have taken the 4-2-1 league record, but this set of nine games left me frustrated by a number missed opportunities. Late goals were a consistent occurrence and the decisive ones trended against me. Of the nine games played(two cup), seven of the games included goals scored after 80 minutes. While we were fortunate to score a late winner against Ann Arbor(Grella 83), two stoppage time equalizers by Reading and Nashua turned a potential cushion against promotion rivals into disappointing draws. Because of those draws, we are only one point clear at the top.

The Nashua draw was particularly unpleasant. We scored early(Muller, 2nd minute) and proceeded to dominate the game, but failed to put it away. Then this happened in the 94th minute:

Even the U.S. Open Cup games proved difficult. We drew Madison(AL), an amateur team in the first round, and I decided to play an almost fully rotated squad. Madison was up to the challenge and actually was the better team for most of the game. It took three subs early in the second half(Muller, Sparks, Grella) to swing the game back in our favor. Muller would score the winner.

Torrance was also a relatively favorable draw. They are in our tier, but our performances in the league gave me optimism. We even scored early, but proceeded to fall apart on defense. At one point, we were down 3-1. We battled back to 3-3 only to give up a penalty shortly after that decided the game. We are now down to our last cup competition, the New England Cup(starts in February.)

All in all, though, it could have been much worse. There was no significant drop off from our fast start out of the gates. We lead the league, albeit tenuously. We beat Danbury, far and away strongest team in our league last season, 2-0, hammered fellow Massachusetts team Brockton 5-1, and went to Naperville, a promotion contender, and left with a 4-2 win.

Muller has been phenomenal. He scored in seven out of our nine games. Overall, he has sixteen goals and six assists in seventeen appearances(two as a substitute), already passing last year's mark(and Springfield's record) and we are only halfway through the season.

No slouch either, Grella has eleven goals in fourteen appearances. While Muller seems to be the more consistent scorer, Grella has a bit of flair for the dramatic. Of his seven goals in this quarter, five have come after the 60th minute.

Other standouts have been Eddie Sparks and Matthew Murphy. Sparks, our box-to-box midfielder, leads the team in assists(10) but has yet to score. Murphy's consistently strong performances at the back have gone a long way to alleviate my worry over our central defense not being good enough for this level.

Some personnel news, I'm weighing a transfer confirmation for Muhammad Wrali. While I've been able to extend some deals(including Corona), Matthew Murphy's demands are out our range right now, especially with the uncertainty of our league status next season. Because of this, I went out and signed a centerback. My scouts love him(more than Corona and Murphy), he can play both centerback and rightback, is on decent contract(about $4k less than the minimum Murphy is demanding), and has a squad status that does not demand a ton of minutes. The latter is not necessarily important for this season, I play to work him into the team(we'll likely start rotating centerbacks based on our opponents), but it's more important for next season if we are promoted.

James_zps0099f02e.png~original

Because of this, Wrali, the calf-less wonder, may be on the move to balance our salary budget. He has made two starts this season(and eight off the bench.) However, he's a bit redundant with Chris Griffin in the squad and in a pinch I could move our u-18 DM Jaydin Serrano up. It'll pain me to "sell"(he's going on a free transfer), but it's a move that makes sense.

-------

Fourteen league games and the New England Cup remain.

Last edited:

Milo

Confirmed the Wrali transfer. He's off to Thornton(CO).

Aggressive as a grizzly, jumps like a hippo
Now he's gone on the cheapo.

So long, Muhammad Wrali.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Lol @ jumps like a hippo. His slave name was Cassius Wray, right?

I'm shocked at myself for not renaming anyone yet. It just feels... weird or something with real life players. If they have a picture I can't rename them. I haven't had any regens crack the starting lineup yet, and I kind of prefer to keep my emotional distance from them until I know they'll actually play for me. I'm sure I'll rename/nickname some when they crack the senior squad as backups maybe next season.

Milo

Lol @ jumps like a hippo. His slave name was Cassius Wray, right?

I'm shocked at myself for not renaming anyone yet. It just feels... weird or something with real life players. If they have a picture I can't rename them. I haven't had any regens crack the starting lineup yet, and I kind of prefer to keep my emotional distance from them until I know they'll actually play for me. I'm sure I'll rename/nickname some when they crack the senior squad as backups maybe next season.

Yep. It was too funny(to me) to pass up. And that name change was probably the only reason he got as much playing time as he did.

Made it hard to pull the trigger on the transfer, though. I may shed a tear when Muttonchops goes.

(For those that may not get it- Muhammad Ali's original name was Cassius Clay.)

Milo

Not finished with the quarter yet, but since I usually put cups as footnotes, I'll go ahead and post a minor update.

buffalo3_zps333ffc41.png~original

buffalo_zps98b9f855.png~original

Uh, yeah, this is my greatest upset ever in FM. Going in I was hoping to keep the score within 4-5 goals. Buffalo is a American National League team(Tier 2). I'm in tier 8. They even played about half of their starters. And it was at Buffalo. In terms of reputation, this is the equivalent of beating a top-half Ligue 1 team with an English Conference South team.

Maybe even a bigger deal is that not only did I get about a quarter of a million dollars in revenue for the game, but now I have a chance for another big draw in the next round.

The goal:

Funnily enough, that was Sparks' first goal of the season. Good timing.

Last edited:

NML

What did that quarter of a million due to ur finances? Where's the money going to go?

Milo gonna be like Oprah to his facilities - you get an upgrade and you get an upgrade - EVERYONE GETS AN UPGRADE!!!!!!!!

Milo

The taterheads are stingy. I'm about 200k in the black now, but they are unwilling to upgrade any of our facilities. They are even unwilling to search for a parent club.

Milo

Quarterly Report 3: 2023/24

Results

Quarter3_zps6937d62b.png~original

Table

Quarter3Table_zpsc9839893.png~original

Seven games to go. Top two are automatically promoted.

Recap

Another strong quarter in the league, but not strong enough to pull away from the pack that is forming at the top. While it's become clear that our team is simply better than most the teams we face, we are not good enough to beat these teams unless we are near our best. Nights off mean dropped points. When our forwards are playing well our attack is rampant, we score almost at will, and teams are forced to chase the game. However, there's enough vulnerability at the back that if our attack isn't firing or defenders are simply having a bad day that we can lose to anyone.

We started the quarter off by getting revenge on Newark for the late equalizer in the season opener and topping Cambridge in more convincing fashion. While Cambridge was able to instill some doubt with some late second-half goals, the 5-3 scoreline flattered them. Our winning streak continued with a win against Wilmington and a beatdown of Dearborn.

But, again, we threw away points to a team that I assumed we would win against. In our first match against Toms River, we won 2-0. In our second meeting, we couldn't get out of our own way. Maybe, because in our universe it is the time of the Little League World Series, this Toms River game, due to some sort of cross-cosmos homogeneity, became some bastard of a fixture.

The first half was a goalfest. Due to me taking my shirt off, thus obscuring my vision, I incorrectly said that Eddie Sparks' first goal of the season came against Buffalo. That was wrong. He actually scored his first goal against Toms River and it very well may have been my first direct FK goal of the save, too. Despite our attack playing well, they continued to peg us back(quickly coming back from 2-0 and 3-2 deficits.) Going into the half it was 3-3. The second half was pretty lackluster and due to our failure to replicate our first half success going forward, it wasn't too surprising when they broke through late in the game(89th minute.) I say unsurprising because it's been a theme all season that if we keep teams hanging around, they have consistently scored late goals to swing results.

After the incredible Buffalo game, we again ended this quarter like the first quarter, with back-to-back games against promotion rivals Hartford and Manchester, this time in reverse order due to scheduling adjustments. Last time we avoided disaster by beating one(Hartford 3-2) and losing to the other(Manchester 1-2), and the same thing happened this time. Riding high off the Buffalo win, we crushed Manchester 4-1 despite going down 1-0 in the 52nd minute and Paul Clark being sent off for the second time this save in the 65th(I guess it's a good thing that our player with the most red cards is a forward?) Grella, Sparks(3 in 3), Muttonchops, and Clark all scored.

But then the hangover came. Hartford took an early lead(4th minute) and we never really threatened to make it a game. We lost 2-0 and again split the back-to-back Manchester, Hartford games.

To close out the quarter, we did play our next New England Cup game. We drew another relatively big team in our region, Providence(NSAC-E, Tier 4) and we were no match. Unfortunately, it was at home so the potential revenue was limited, but we did draw just over 3,000. It was no shock that they beat us 4-0. We used up every ounce of luck against Buffalo and I was just happy to squeeze even a little bit more money out of the cup before putting all our focus on the league down the stretch.

Muller has continued his dominance. He now has 23 goals in 24 starts and 2 sub appearances. He has an incredible 7.81 average rating over the course of the season, 9 assists, and 10 MoM awards. Luckily his contract goes through next season or I'm not sure I'd be able to extend him at any sort of non-budget breaking price.

MullerWashington_zps809a687f.jpg~original

Grella has cooled off a bit with just a paltry 15 goals in 24 appearances. Sparks, a player that struggled to find the net all season, has scored 3 in our last four games. Even Muttonchops is doing well in his limited appearances. His pass led to the biggest goal in Springfield history(Sparks' goal against Buffalo) and he has 5 goals in 15 appearances(only 2 starts.) The goals are flowing, but as the Toms River game shows(and really the previous two quarters have as well), they have to be because we can't be trusted to close out tight games.

-----

Seven games left. We lead the league and we did just avoid disaster against Hartford and Manchester. However, the final few games will pose a difficult challenge. We end the season with Naperville, Nashua, and Reading. The two former are right in the mix for the promotion spots and Reading had a strong quarter, climbing from the final relegation spot(12th) all the way up to 7th and are now in contention for a playoff spot.

Also some good news, Burke is only a few weeks from full training. Really doubt I'll force him into the team down the stretch. I don't want a relapse and the team has been functioning well without him. However, he could possibly provide a nice spark off the bench when he comes back.

Haven't decided how I'll break up these last games.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Looks like you have a great chance for that auto promotion spot, but how do the playoffs for the other spot(s) work? 4 teams playing for 1 spot or 4 teams playing for 2 spots?

Milo

Looks like you have a great chance for that auto promotion spot, but how do the playoffs for the other spot(s) work? 4 teams playing for 1 spot or 4 teams playing for 2 spots?

One spot. One-off semis(3v6, 4v5) and final on neutral fields. Makes it crucial that I finish no lower than second.

Milo

Mini-Update

Results

Finalstretch_zpsd6e1832e.png~original

Recap

Picked a bad time for a bad run of games. Our team is faltering down the stretch. Could have even been worse, too. Silver Spring took the lead twice and we needed a 91st minute goal from a corner to get the three points.

Luckily we had Brockton, the worst team in the league, next. But even in that game we gave up a penalty in the 5th minute. They didn't get it on frame. Bad giveaways gave us our opportunities. A lazy ball led to a counterattack in the 30th minute and we took full advantage. After the interception by Pennant, he pushed the ball forward to Grella. Grella then played a great 40 yard ball to Clark. Clark, unmarked in the box, volleyed it in. Another poor pass in their own box led to the second goal. After needlessly turning it over after a thrown-in, an overhit through ball was cut-out by a Brockton defender. He underhit the pass back to the goalkeeper and Paul Clark overtook it and scored his second.

Our bad play caught up to us against Ann Arbor. Despite taking an early lead, we never looked convincing. Ann Arbor equalized later in the first half and were the better team throughout. We were actually lucky to get out with a point. However, Grella scored the goal for us and it seems he's getting hot at the right time.

I thought Danbury would be a good way to get back on track. I used the Ann Arbor draw to tear into the team and they responded well post-game. However, again, the team struggled on gameday. Danbury led at the half, Muller leveled in the 67th, but with us playing aggressively, they caught us out and retook the lead in the 86th minute. Another late goal and this one in particular could not come at a worse time. We're now 2-1-2 in our last five league games, having played well in none of them. Next up is Naperville(5th) and Nashua(4th).

Table

welp_zpsabe541d1.png~original

Three games left. The two preseason favorites for promotion are closing in.

The saving grace could be that Hartford and Manchester play each other on the final day.

Last edited:

Milo

Milo's FM 2013 American Soccer Dynasty now with 100% less drama.

Naperville_zpsc25ffd33.png~original

AfterNap_zps78013fba.png~original

Manchester almost threw away a 2-0 halftime lead against Dearborn but managed to scrape out of a 3-2 win. The significant result was that Hartford lost to Toms River 2-0. With GD as the first tiebreaker, that all but confirms auto-promotion for Springfield.

Also, was able to extend Fowler and Murphy one year with minimal salary increases. The key change is that now they have "back-up" as their squad status so I'll hopefully be able to upgrade those positions without sacrificing depth or team morale/cohesion.

Milo

Welp. I thought it was just one bold player. Think Springfield might have just hit their first real wall. More on that in a later post, let me finish up this season.

Leaguetable_zps528a087e.png~original

Springfield has a trophy! Their first in their history. We won the league, albeit we weren't exactly convincing down the stretch. After the Naperville game, we all but sealed an auto-promotion spot(would have taken a 6 point, 15 or so GD swing in two games to miss out.) With that major relief, I didn't put as much of a priority on winning as I possibly should have with the title still in play. I brought in a number of U-18 players, sat a few starters, and tried to mix in some players that fell by the wayside as the intensity of the season ramped up.

We beat Nashua 3-2. Grella, Clark, and Muttonchops with the goals and due to results elsewhere, we won the title. While I didn't give it the attention it may have deserved, I was pretty proud that the goal that proved to be the title winner was scored by Muttonchops. He was a player that when I came to the club was stuck in the reserves, probably on the track to be released, and rated terribly by my assistant. He was an important player the season before, a bit part this season, but, oh hey, he scored the title-winning goal and assisted on Sparks' goal to beat Buffalo.

Finished the season at Reading with an even more weakened team. Griffin, Gage(who fell out of favor after I signed Phillips) got starts as well as two of our academy players(Serrano, Garcia). We lost 3-2. Gave up two late goals, which while somewhat disappointing to end such a great season with a loss, it was treated as little more than a friendly.

As documented, I was really confident going into the season. Even after losing one of our best players in preseason(Burke.) I had a team I felt comfortable fielding in a variety of functional(aka not desperately thrown together) formations and we took the league(and one American National League team) by storm. We far and away led the league in team goals. We conceded the second fewest(only Hartford had less.) We won four more league games than last season against better competition and in six fewer games. The big sign of progress is that there was never any need of a miracle inducing live-blog.

We maybe weren't as dominant as those previous things suggest. We did only win the league by three points. While we held our own(and then some) against some of the stronger teams, we were never able to separate from them or put together a good long run due to some bad losses to lesser teams. While not quite the level of randomness that the Wrath of Cod and the USS Regional Leagues dictate, the unpredictably of games due to player quality at this level was still apparent.

Players of the Season

No surprise about our best player. It was Seth Muller. And I'll repost the picture because I'm too lazy to take the 5 minutes to do another one.

MullerWashington_zps809a687f.jpg~original

In 33 appearances(2 as a sub), he scored 28 goals, had 10 assists, and 10 PoMs. His average rating for the season was 7.77. The next closest on the team was Frank Grella at 7.38. He not only smashed the league and Springfield's goal record but his average rating also broke the Patriot League One - North record by .02 set way back in 2015. The best ever season for a player in this division in its 10+ season history. So, uh, not bad.

Luckily, his contract goes through next season. More on that in a later post.

As great as Muller was, a number of our players had strong seasons.

Frank Grella, while overshadowed by his strike partner, scored 18 goals and matched Muller in assists(10). Also, while Muller was consistent, Grella seemed to have the knack for scoring at big times. He had a number of late winners and, especially late in the season when we hit the minor lull, he scored a number of promotion-securing goals.

Eddie Sparks led the team in assists. He had 18! And he also scored, from a financial and achievement standpoint, the biggest goal of the season against Buffalo. In fact, he scored only three goals all season, in a span of three games, but his ability to connect our lines, dominance in the air, and his setting up others was critical all season.

Lastly, Matthew Murphy had another strong season. I was sure he'd be a good centerback in the Regional Premier Leagues, I was a little worried about the step-up but he was our strongest defender all season. In fact, this season he even scored two goals. His imposing size and aerial ability also made it easier to work in a more slight defender next to him(James Villagomez) and their pairing became first choice in the latter half of the season. It also helped that he was reliably supported not just by Villagomez, but a dedicated DM(Islas) and two solid fullbacks(Pennant, Phillips.)

Other players that finished the season with 7.00 ratings or higher: Villagomez(7.26, 14 games), Paul Clark(7.04, 8 goals, 10 assists, 11 starts, 17 sub appearances.)

The League Awards

Player of the Season

P1playeroftheseason_zps1d7c4f15.png~original

Muller wins it. Grella comes third.

Eddie Sparks - Young Player of the Season(He's 21.)

Muller, Sparks, Fowler(AGAIN!) named to the league-wide team of the season. Grella and Murphy named as subs.

I also won manager of the season.

Two promotions in two seasons. Would never have predicted the first one, thought I would be in the mix this past season. Next up will likely be our biggest challenge yet.

Welcome to the Patriot Select League - North and professional soccer clubs.

PLSN_zps3c14e899.png~original

(And apparently where almost all the New York borough teams got stuck on their ascent.)

Last edited:

Milo

Season Recap

American Premier League

APLfinal_zpsacfb4be4.png~original

Phoenix win again. That's five out of the last six titles. New York had the lead going into the final round, but lost to relegated El Paso at home giving Phoenix the opportunity to leapfrog.

Seattle, El Paso, and Nashville go down.

Memphis(1st), Philadelphia(2nd), and Omaha(p) will come up from the ANL.

Awards

Gaetjens Trophy(Best Player): Kieran Wolff, New York

Gaetjans_zps31d1806c.png~original

Wolff came in third last season. Last season's winner, Fred, finished second.

McBride Award(Forward)- Ryan Wiley, New York
Ramos Award(Midfielder) - Tommy Marion, Boston
Pope Award(Defender) - Sergio Rizzi, New York
Freidel Award(Keeper) - Davide Ferrero, Phoenix
Young Player: Arnaldo Malfluery, New Orleans(now at Wigan)

APL All-Stars:

Allstars_zps4b72a1ea.jpg~original

The Cups

National Cups

U.S. Open Cup - New York over Phoenix, 3-1
Presidents' Cup - Memphis over Phoenix, 2-0
Soccer Bowl* - Phoenix over New York, 2-1

Lamar Hunt Trophy - Durham over Richmond, 1-0
Patriot League Invitational - Chula Vista over Modesto, 2-1(aet)
Federal Cup - Lake Charles over Penobscot Forest S.C., 0-0(p)

National Youth Cup(U-18) - San Antonio over Dallas, 3-0

International Competitions
NACL - Olympique Montreal over America(Mex), 3-1
CWC - Chicago over Barcelona, 2-1**

*Soccer Bowl is just a preseason one-off between the U.S. Open Cup winners and the APL champions.
** First APL team to win it.

Regional Cups
New England(NE) - New York over Providence, 2-0
Colonial Cup(MA) - Washington over Cary Park, 1-0
Dixie Cup(SE) - Tallahassee over Tampa, 2-2(p)
Great Lakes Trophy(MW) - Detroit over Pittsburgh Union, 2-1(Exact same final, score from last season)
Great Plains Cup - Denver over Colorado Springs, 1-0
Sun Belt Trophy(SW) - Dallas over Waco, 2-2(p)
Rose Cup(W) - Las Vegas over San Diego, 2-0
Cascadia Cup(NW) - Portland over Seattle, 1-0

Youth Regional Champions:
NE - New York over Buffalo, 1-0
MA - Greensboro over Cary Park, 4-1
SE - Atlanta over Birmingham, 2-0
MW - Detroit over Grand Rapids, 2-0
GP - Minneapolis over Lincoln, 1-0
SW - New Orleans over Austin, 3-1
W - Los Angeles over Mesa, 3-0
NW - Portland over Spokane, 2-1

USMNT

As of mid-June, still ranked first worldwide. Ben Olsen is still the manager.

Won the Gold Cup last summer, beating Mexico 3-2 in the final. They've won all but one game over the span of last season's club calendar, a 1-1 draw to Ireland. World Cup Qualifying is now underway, the U.S.' group include Jamaica, Puerto Rico, and Panama.

usmntresults_zps7da3f513.png~original

The U.S. has also qualified for the upcoming Olympics this August. Their group includes Saudia Arabia, Gabon, and Qatar.

Last August the U.S. won the U-20 World Cup defeating England on penalties in the final. However, they did lose to Honduras in the North American U-20 Championship last April.

U20s_zps567f06a0.png~original