1. We have updated to a new version of XenForo. If you were using the "Kella" custom style, you need to switch to the Utopia or Alternate style. Do this in your user preferences.
    Dismiss Notice

Major League Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'Pro Sports Discussion' started by Snorky's Shame, Dec 19, 2014.

1. doh

doh THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi

Team:
    Las Vegas Pac Men
    MLS playoffs totally irrelevant again due to idiotic scheduling. Knockout games no one knows are happening. Fans have 2-3 days between Decision Day and the Knockout Round. Sunday matches terribly attended (again tix are on sale for 2-3 days) and all taking place during NASHNUL games.

I just don't get who the hell are the people making these decisions. If MLS had competent leadership with good ideas, they'd be way further along than with Garber & co.

adchester and silverwheels like this.
  2. Snorky's Shame

Snorky's Shame Well-Known Member

There’s got to be a week between Decision Day and the Knockout Round. I remember in 2012 DC and Chicago playing to a draw thus the Fire got to host a knockout game. You’d think they would start selling tickets for that game (on Halloween no less!) right after the final whistle but they started selling tickets on Monday for a Wednesday night game on Halloween. Attendance was under 9,000 that night.

I am absolutely not in favor for single leg rounds throughout though. You’re just going to see road teams bunkering to get to penalties or get a goal on the counter and that’s not entertaining either. I’d only like that if the away team has to win the game in 90 minutes to advance. I’d rather bring back best-of-three, first-to-five but that’s not coming back unless MLS commits itself to playing Wednesday/Thursday and Saturday/Sunday throughout the playoffs.

3. Yankee151

Yankee151 TWINK Stadium

Team:
    Yankees
    Drogba's last game, the USL cup final, is on ESPN2

4. wolverine318

wolverine318 Well-Known Member Mod Alumni

Team:
    Michigan
  5. Snorky's Shame

This Seattle-Portland game is nuts.

6. silverwheels

silverwheels more like Turd Crapley

Team:
    RUSS
  7. Snorky's Shame

Nice logo, much better than the USL one.

Not sold on having both Royal and Navy blue. Pick one.

8. NML

NML Well-Known Member

MLS Cup - who’s watching?

Ebobisse is a fringe camp cupcake call up. Villafana and Garza probably will get brought in. Otherwise, it’s a pretty underwhelming representation for the USMNT.

Atlanta is arguably the most talented MLS team in history (although Giovinco, Jozy, Bradley Toronto is up there too), but I still took Portland +1.5 because they’ve bunkered in all postseason. Valeri is probably the third best player on the field but top ten in the league.

Most interested to see Ebobisse. A bit of a throwback center forward who has shown flashes of a less physical, more mobile Jozy in his game.

9. NML

NML Well-Known Member

Already over Holden

“And how much does he want to win this one?”

Well it’s the championship, Stu

10. wolverine318

wolverine318 Well-Known Member Mod Alumni

Team:
    Michigan
    I'm watching. I don't know why but I wish they played on grass.

NML likes this.
  11. NML

NML Well-Known Member

Still like Ebobisse, but if ur not able to beat Jeff Larentowicz 1v1, ur ceiling may not be that high.

Had some nice touches and hold up play doe

12. kella

kella Smug know-it-all Administrator Operations

What an extremely MLS goal

13. NML

NML Well-Known Member

Literally exactly what I said haha

He was almost offside. Never saw a good look at it

14. kella

Ebobisse went to the hs I used to work right near. I probably honked at a group of kids he was in at one time

silverwheels, Yankee151 and NML like this.
  15. silverwheels

silverwheels more like Turd Crapley

Team:
    RUSS
    Atlanta is going to be good for a while, too.

16. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Utopia

Team:
    Mitakihara
  17. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Utopia

Team:
    Mitakihara
  18. NML

NML Well-Known Member

I thought Garber saying “we need to be a selling league” was the best thing I’ve heard from him in a while.

I think two things happened this year that should signal to the league the proper way to operate: Atlanta and Tyler Adams

From a player development standpoint, Adams is the blueprint. Sign a talented player when they are 16, let them play for your second team for 1-2 seasons and get friendlies against big clubs (remember Adams first got on the radar when he scored against Chelsea), then move to the main club and hopefully break through. A talented player like Adams can be an all star and NT member before they are 20, and now he moves onto a big club. They obviously won’t release his transfer fee and it’ll be slightly skewed since it’s Red Bull to Red Bull, but I imagine it would be around $2.5m? That pays for about a third of NYRB’s entire payroll for the season. It probably covers YEARS of their entire youth set up. That has to be what other clubs are striving for.

And then you have Atlanta, which is showing how MLS should operate in terms of buying players. MLS needs to be the middle chain, not the dead end. They buy Almiron for $8m from a South American club, he lights up the league for two seasons, and now they’ll flip him for $15m to Newcastle. Are they sitting on their money? No, they shatter the MLS transfer record an activate the $17m release clause for Pity Martínez, who’s about to hit his prime at age 25, just won the Copa Libertadores, and was capped by the Argentina National Team a couple months ago. HMMMMM I wonder how he’ll do playing against the Tim Parker’s of MLS.

If they can make those adjustments, MLS can and should become the best league outside of Europe. The struggle will be the Revolution/Dynamo/etc of the league, how they keep up. I think they’ll have to focus more on the former than the latter. But, what they have that other small market clubs all over the world don’t have, is security. So they’ll be able to try new things without finding themselves relegated.

BasinBictory and kella like this.
  19. kella

Signing relevant foreign players is a complete shock TBH. It's been a retirement league for so long. Henry still had some mileage left on him, but all the other significant European signings have been victory laps.

20. BasinBictory

BasinBictory CHICKEN NUT BREAD

Team:
    USC
    Is it the USA's favorable tax structure that is luring them?