1. We have updated to a new version of XenForo. If you were using the "Kella" custom style, you need to switch to the Utopia or Alternate style. Do this in your user preferences.
    Dismiss Notice

Irishman's rec league ice hockey dynasty thread

Discussion in 'Offline Dynasties' started by Irishman, May 15, 2018.

1. Irishman

Irishman Administrative Fäggot

My old ass just signed up to play in a summer Men's hockey league - first organized hockey in 30 years. Here's hoping I don't embarrass myself. :thumbsup:

2. kella

kella Smug know-it-all Administrator Operations

3. Irishman

Today was the first day for the summer league and it went well. I have a lot of work to do on my edges and balance, but it was a great session. We finished with a controlled scrimmage. I found that a lot of my defensive skills came back pretty well and we needed them, ha ha! Our group won 3-1 and I had the 3rd goal - a nice wrister from inside the right circle that beat the goalie high glove side.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  4. wolverine318

wolverine318 Well-Known Member Mod Alumni

Team:
    Michigan
    Hockey in the summer? Doesn't the ice melt?

silverwheels likes this.
  5. Irishman

We have a bunch of great indoor facilities around here.

Soonerfan09 likes this.
  6. Irishman

Decided to put these in their own thread. :thumbsup:

7. Irishman

I made a huge mistake...I tried on a Bauer RE-AKT helmet. It fit like a glove. I'm sure I'll own it about 14 hours from now.

I never did this with golf. I have two wooden woods and my irons are 20 years old. Why can't I just be the same for hockey? Hockey shit is expensive.

8. Irishman

Here's hoping this Facebook link actually works. :thumbsup: Practice and scrimmage #2 today. Yes, I bought the Bauer helmet (I have the white helmet in the pics). I was really pleased with my defensive play on all of my shifts. I had a few shots but no great chances.

I had a reality check moment in this one. I had a partial break down the left middle...the puck was ahead of me to the left. I tried to pull the puck across my body and make a power move to the net. The defenseman on my tail quickly reminded me that power moves don't work when you weigh 130 pounds. :laughing:

sayo, goblue96, NML and 2 others like this.
  9. Irishman

My buddy and I played drop in tonight It was 3-on-3 and the other four guys were 20 years younger. Tomorrow is going to be rough. :Sleeping::laughing:

ZackMills likes this.
  10. Reel

Reel Off dem Milds and dat Yak Community Liaison

Team:
    Saints
    somebody @ me when Irish posts his version of this

[​IMG]

Plotty, goblue96, ZackMills and 3 others like this.
  11. Travis7401

Travis7401 Douglass Tagg Community Liaison

My father in law and brother in law play in an old man hockey league and it sounds great. Last season some goon checked father in law (no checking allowed) so brother in law took offense and checked that guy and everyone involved ended up in the penalty box for a great photo opportunity.

Irishman and Reel like this.
  12. Irishman

Yeah, this league I'm in is supposed to be a no check league, but I suspect there's going to still be plenty of contact. As long as people aren't dicks about it, I don't care. I won't be able to line anyone up along the boards for a well-timed hip check, however. :laughing:

The pick-up 3-on-3 last night was great though. I had to work my ass off to stay with these younger guys (they were highly skilled/competitive), but I was able to make a few sweet defensive plays. It was a blast. I did get myself all twisted up and fell right on my side. I was reminded of how little hip padding there is in standard hockey pants (or on my skinny-ass frame). :thumbsup:

13. Irishman

Today was my best day so far. We worked a lot on passing and stick handling, which was good. My team played well on the scrimmage,winning 3-0. I was +3 with 1 G (en, breakaway) and 1 A.

The assist was on our first goal. I was playing C. The puck was free along the right boards and I had a partial breakaway, but I needed to sweep it all the way back to the middle. I used a double deke to beat the goaltender, but just lost the puck a bit right as I went to my forehand for the shot. I recovered the puck and passed it backhand behind my back to my LW, who buried the shot from just left of the crease.

I played my first shift at D and they never got possession in the offensive zone. I was stoked. My remaining shifts were all at C I had a couple of blocks and won 3/4 faceoffs. It was a great game.

Travis7401, ZackMills and Skeeter like this.
  14. Irishman

So I have this recurring issue of falling on my right hip during practices. It's really awesome. :thumbsup: I did it again tonight. It's always because I'm doing a lot of edge work and I just need to slow it down. Anyway, we had the weekend off last week, so I'm looking forward to getting out there this Sunday.

On the positive side things, I really pleased with my backhand.

15. Travis7401

Travis7401 Douglass Tagg Community Liaison

Have you tried not falling on your right hip instead?

Irishman likes this.
  16. Irishman

Oh my God, do I try.

Travis7401 likes this.
  17. Irishman

Played last night and skated my ass off. :Sleeping: I played all but one shift on defense, but as one of the few guys with speed, I found myself on more than a handful of odd-man rushes. I managed to get a secondary assist on our only goal (we won 1-0) by making a nice clearing pass out of our zone to my right wing along the boards, which led to a 2-on-1 (and a nice goal). We won 1-0. I felt like my defensive play was solid aside from a couple of non-critical mistakes. I won the only two faceoffs I took on my one shift at C. Can't complain.

I won't be playing again until the 29th, though, as I'll be too busy rippin' and tearin' next Sunday. :emo:

kella likes this.