• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Dr. Sad presents Week 2 2015

Lightningwar

Administrator
So, following the general trend after SEC shitshows/losses, Arkansas and Auburn stay where they are in the rankings while Toledo and Jacksonville State shoot to the top of the polls right?

Soon enough the SEC will be playing the SEEEEEEEEEEEEEECCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC. Then we get to hear the circle jerk really begin.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
My favorite BYU dirty trick is how they always seem to continue to alligator roll to "finish" a tackle where they have a players' leg. "He might be down this play, but another 5 revolutions of his knee will make sure he stays down!"

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon

I'm not excusing what this player did, because it should not happen and he should (and I'm sure will) be punished. But the video doesn't show what the BSU player did before that either. Again, no excuse for the BYU player.

I liked that the ref announced the personal foul against a BYU player who was on the other side of the field, doe.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
BYU has no running game, no quality running backs. Williams is the best RB BYU has had since Harvey Unga, and he is out for the season. Taysom Hill was the whole running game then, and he is out for the season. Mangum looks good, but he will have a tough year ahead of him if BYU can't run the ball.

BYU rushing yards with 8:35 to go in the 3rdQ....-14! Negative 14. I don't know how many is in sacks...but still.

Most of that was on a botched snap and then the fumble that went way back and led to the nut punch video. BYU had positive yardage rushing until those two plays.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
I hadn't heard about the shootings. That's sad, but glad to hear they should recover.

I've thought a bit about "why do Mormons play dirty" and I've come up with some thoughts.

First, remember that not everyone at BYU is Mormon.

Second, I think everyone thinks of Mormons as "turn the other cheek type," but we'll defend ourselves if we feel attacked.

Third, Bronco preaches intensity. Sometimes that intensity goes too far, obviously. But it's a mentality he instills in his players, for better or for worse.

Fourth, everything's magnified when you're BYU. Is anyone making or posting videos of the Boise State player who got flagged for taunting Mathews? No. Did anyone make or post videos of the Utah player who got flagged for pushing and late hitting Michigan players last week? No. And I'm sure I could use dozens of other similar examples from around the country. Because it's BYU and because we say we stand for something, it stands out more because a) we say we're better than that (and we obviously aren't) and b) people seek it out to try and say "See?! You guys suck/are hypocrites/etc.".

Those of you who have been around long enough know that I don't condone any of it. It's embarrassing. And as a BYU fan, the one thing I like the least about BYU is other BYU fans. But I think you know I try not to be like them. But for the rest of time whenever a BYU player does something against what we say we stand for, it will be sought out and pointed out at a much higher level than anyone else in the country will be held to. It's self-inflicted.

Last edited:

Bdub

I hadn't heard about the shootings. That's sad, but glad to hear they should recover.

I've thought a bit about "why do Mormons play dirty" and I've come up with some thoughts.

First, remember that not everyone at BYU is Mormon.

Second, I think everyone thinks of Mormons as "turn the other cheek type," but we'll defend ourselves if we feel attacked.

Third, Bronco preaches intensity. Sometimes that intensity goes too far, obviously. But it's a mentality he instills in his players, for better or for worse.

Fourth, everything's magnified when you're BYU. Is anyone making or posting videos of the Boise State player who got flagged for taunting Mathews? No. Did anyone make or post videos of the Utah player who got flagged for pushing and late hitting Michigan players last week? No. And I'm sure I could use dozens of other similar examples from around the country. Because it's BYU and because we say we stand for something, it stands out more because a) we say we're better than that (and we obviously aren't) and b) people seek it out to try and say "See?! You guys suck/are hypocrites/etc.).

Those of you who have been around long enough know that I don't condone any of it. It's embarrassing. And as a BYU fan, the one thing I like the least about BYU is other BYU fans. But I think you know I try not to be like them. But for the rest of time whenever a BYU player does something against what we say we stand for, it will be sought out and pointed out at a much higher level than anyone else in the country will be held to. It's self-inflicted.
While I agree with you that BYU is under a microscope more than other programs that doesn't change the fact they do things other teams don't do. You mention the late hit Utah had on the Michigan QB, I agree that was a stupid play but it was hardly a cheap shot. Lot's of guys get caught up and get to aggressive and it is understood as part of the game. However, dick punching someone is an absolute cheap shot and anyone on any team would be called out for it. Getting in a huge brawl after a game isn't necessarily cheap but it gives BYU a bad name. Travis mentions the alligator role that BYU is known for doing A LOT. The Nebraska game where the guy took out the TE at the knees after the ball had already sailed past. There is a difference between playing hard aggressive football and actually trying to injure people. In my opinion BYU goes to far more often than they should.

Brick

james, i know youre trying to make it sound better, but i dont see a single compelling point. a college football coach preaches intensity? no wai! of course if you get in a brawl after a game, it will be all over tv. every nut punch gets run on tha twitter because its lowest of low. also, i think you overinflate byus relevance nationally. i live in sec country and no one gives a shit or knows anything about byu. maybe on the west coast. any other power 5 program has more exposure here.

i dont have anything against the institution or their beliefs at all. i dont personally know and have never known, any of their fans. i just have noticed over the years, and i watch just as much college football as anyone here, that whenever i watch byu they are consistently one of the more showboating, dirty, win at all costs teams.

i mean i would love to have a reason to trash notre dame for stuff like that, because theyre the most loathable program in the country imo, but i just dont see that kind of stuff consistently from them (golden tate is an enormous douche doe).

every time i watch byu for more than a quarter it seems, theres something.

basically when youre a college footbaw fan you just have to shrug it off and own it. defending it just makes it worse. i mean oregon doesnt have a shortage of detestible qualities. if you spend your time trying to defend youre fandom, youll just end up miserable.

i mean i am miserable, but for reasons other than traditionalist program truthers talking about how oregon gon oregon shampship shampship, phil knight buying success, flat billed white trash fans, blount punch, uniforms, etc. i like watching them play and following them, and thats about it.

Last edited:

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
i think you overinflate byus relevance nationally. i live in sec country and no one gives a shit or knows anything about byu.

And yet I can't think of a team other than Oregon that you comment on more often than BYU.

I wasn't defending anything. Just some thoughts I had and shared. No excuses and never once did I defend the players who have been outed on the videos posted here or that style of play. I think if you go back and read my post and instead of reading it as a defense on my part and actually a fan stepping back and trying to look at it from the outside (which isn't easy to do), I think you'll come away with a different perspective of what and why I wrote what I did.

Again, I was just stating things I thought about. Not defending any of it to anyone at all. I wish it weren't the case, but it is what it is and I personally can't change it. I do not support their actions in those moments and I do not excuse them at all.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
I don't think it's tar that BYU is beating out of people...

1428094666320989989.gif

one day these BYU players will have to explain to their grandkids why they play so dirty. Probably tomorrow...:trollface:

I was watching that game, too, and even after that particular play, I recall another play where a BSU ballcarrier got tackled, and stayed down, obviously holding his groin area. The replay never showed a dick punch (too many bodies in the way, and no obvious swing of an arm toward groin area) but he sure did not seem like an ankle, or knee injury took place.

Brick

And yet I can't think of a team other than Oregon that you comment on more often than BYU.
that's because i actually watch byu. a very limited population of people down here care. they know nothing about west coast teams other than usc or oregon, even if they follow college football (read: sec) "closely". i've never heard byu come up in conversation here. notre dame, doe...

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
I think you're overstating how much I overinflate the importance of BYU. I know their place in the world of college football.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
I think I've found two more people to join bdub and brick in the "I Hate BYU" club.

Sometime last week (sorry I don't know details), Cowherd reported on his radio show that Barry Switzer once told him that BYU was the dirtiest team he ever played. He shared a story of when Oklahoma went to Provo and BYU was caught listening in to the Oklahoma headsets.

The first problem is that Oklahoma has never played in Provo. BYU played them in a bowl game in Arizona in the 90's as well as the game in Texas late last decade. The second problem is that these are both way past Switzer's time.

Even if you think he maybe just is forgetting some of the details, even if you look at his time with Arkansas, they still never faced BYU as a player or a coach.

My guess is he's assigning some slight (that may have happened, but from some other team) to BYU because he's still upset BYU won the Championship in 1984.

Either way, with the discussion on this thread yesterday, I felt I should share that story when I heard that clip last night.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
I think I've found two more people to join bdub and brick in the "I Hate BYU" club.

Sometime last week (sorry I don't know details), Cowherd reported on his radio show that Barry Switzer once told him that BYU was the dirtiest team he ever played. He shared a story of when Oklahoma went to Provo and BYU was caught listening in to the Oklahoma headsets.

The first problem is that Oklahoma has never played in Provo. BYU played them in a bowl game in Arizona in the 90's as well as the game in Texas late last decade. The second problem is that these are both way past Switzer's time.

Even if you think he maybe just is forgetting some of the details, even if you look at his time with Arkansas, they still never faced BYU as a player or a coach.

My guess is he's assigning some slight (that may have happened, but from some other team) to BYU because he's still upset BYU won the Championship in 1984.

Either way, with the discussion on this thread yesterday, I felt I should share that story when I heard that clip last night.

Doubtful that Switzer's pissed about the 1984 title. OU went 9-2-1 and finished #6, Okie State was #5 at 10-2 and Nebraska was #3 at 10-2. If anybody should be pissed at BYU, it's Washington who finished the year with one loss. BYU didn't play anybody with a pulse in 1984 including Michigan in the Holiday Bowl.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
I'm just trying to figure out why he would tell this story since it's 100% not true.

And when BYU played at Washington early the next season and blew them out, most Washington fans I know stopped talking about it.

Did you happen to read the article I posted a bit ago from the Nebraska writer about why he voted for BYU in 1984 and how Nebraska played into that season? I probably put it in the BYU thread, so you may have missed it. But it was pretty interesting and gave a lot of insight to people (like me) who were too young to be paying attention in 1984 and base any unhappiness on that season on their preconceived notions of BYU or just repeat what they hear others say about it.

jobob 5.0

I Am Reborn
So, following the general trend after SEC shitshows/losses, Arkansas and Auburn stay where they are in the rankings while Toledo and Jacksonville State shoot to the top of the polls right?
It was only a shitshow cause they weren't playing another SEC team. You wouldn't get up for OOC patsies either if you had the gauntlet of the SEC schedule looming. Plus, you gotta keep them where they are, otherwise it would seem arbitrary for the SEC to get 2 or 3 teams into the playoffs.

All that matters is SEC conference record. You outsiders that hate real football watch LSU/MSU and see a double shitshow, but really it shows how awesome BOTH teams are. Truthfully, MSU should've jumped up based on that performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bdub

Before Utah played 'Bama Switzer predicted a blowout and said Bama would never considered recruiting a single kid Utah had ever recruited. He is an idiot.
Why was Colin talking about BYU being dirty when it's only Utah fans that ever bring it up?

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
Why was Colin talking about BYU being dirty when it's only Utah fans that ever bring it up?

Please show me where I said only Utah fans claim BYU is dirty. I am not a perfect person. I will admit when I say or do something wrong. But I will not stand and let outright misinformation (at best) be said about me. The closest I can come is that I said the only people I've heard this season talking about national championship for BYU this year is from Utah fans. In the past, I have heard BYU fans get too excited too early in the season about what could be. But this year it's been very tempered. But that's the only thing I remember saying "only Utah fans" have done.

Hate me if you will. Rip on me if you wish. But don't put words in my mouth. I say and do enough stupid things without having to make stuff up.