• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Do Coaching clinics give away strategy?

fanoftgame

I've always wondered this question about coaches who in books, clinics, websites give away their strategy. Do they feel other coaches already know, do they think it doesn't matter (jimmy's n joes not x's and o's) or do they just give away info that is not a key to their success?

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
I respect it I just wondered what was their logic behind telling others what they do and how.

You get stuff in return. Herman and Saban met last year, with Herman giving Saban insights on his offense. Saban probably gave him some stuff on his defense.

You're better off sharing everything, especially nowadays. Film is easy to come by, so people are going to figure out your tricks for the most part anyway. Might as well just be open about your stuff and get something in return that you think will help you out.

Of course, that doesn't mean you give away everything.

fanoftgame

You get stuff in return. Herman and Saban met last year, with Herman giving Saban insights on his offense. Saban probably gave him some stuff on his defense.

You're better off sharing everything, especially nowadays. Film is easy to come by, so people are going to figure out your tricks for the most part anyway. Might as well just be open about your stuff and get something in return that you think will help you out.

Of course, that doesn't mean you give away everything.

What do you think would be the type of stuff they keep?

TheSystem

I've always wondered this question about coaches who in books, clinics, websites give away their strategy. Do they feel other coaches already know, do they think it doesn't matter (jimmy's n joes not x's and o's) or do they just give away info that is not a key to their success?

It depends on the coach. Some guys are real pr* and when they do a clinic they talk about BS topics (organizing their weight room) these are the guys who are only their because Nike or the clinic is paying them a fat check. Other coaches will talk about crap everybody does such as outside zone or quick passing routes (hitch and smash) and offer nothing unique. Other guys will tell you pretty much anything you want to know except for signals.

This can come back to bite them, Frank Beamer attributed his detailed clinics to the decline in the performance of his special teams (specifically blocking less kicks and puns) and Jerry Vallotton author of The Toss (about the double wing offense) admitted his detailed explanation of the offense lead to them being not quite so successful before he and the staff were let go at their high school. Darryl Royal even questioned if he and Emory Bellard gave away too much about the wishbone too soon. However I think anyone who has benefitted from the knowledge is grateful.

fanoftgame

It depends on the coach. Some guys are real pr* and when they do a clinic they talk about BS topics (organizing their weight room) these are the guys who are only their because Nike or the clinic is paying them a fat check. Other coaches will talk about crap everybody does such as outside zone or quick passing routes (hitch and smash) and offer nothing unique. Other guys will tell you pretty much anything you want to know except for signals.

This can come back to bite them, Frank Beamer attributed his detailed clinics to the decline in the performance of his special teams (specifically blocking less kicks and puns) and Jerry Vallotton author of The Toss (about the double wing offense) admitted his detailed explanation of the offense lead to them being not quite so successful before he and the staff were let go at their high school. Darryl Royal even questioned if he and Emory Bellard gave away too much about the wishbone too soon. However I think anyone who has benefitted from the knowledge is grateful.

Yea it always struck me as odd how some coaches would just give away key information that their opponents could come back and either use against them or at least be better prepared to deal with it.

I mean I respect it, just didn't seem strategic to put it nicely.