• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

[CK2] The Grand Reclamation: Rise of the Justoglos

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
RomanEmpire3.jpg

"Gather around the fire studentss." the young faces hurried eagerly to their seats. The ember burned brightly, just one of many colors in the Queen of Cities this evening. The empire had just recently concluded another military victory, and the streets were littered with confetti and the aftermath of drunken revelry. I was indifferent to the matter; victory had become a given these days, and I was more concerned with the works of Aristotle. "Will you be teaching us of the great Empress? or the Reconquest of Bactria? The discovery of New Sparta?" I admired their ambition. Passion for knowledge kept this empire alive for so long, and it warmed my heart to see. "No no, we will be covering a much more important topic today. We will speak of the origins of the Justoglos dynasty, in the grand city of Napoli." I thought back to the city, ever since I was a child I could feel the historic legacy booming off of the asphalt. "The Bronze one?" they asked inquisitively. "Indeed. Let uss get started, we have a lot of history to cover." I opened my dusty old book as I had many times before, and began to tell our grandest story.

-------

THE GRAND RECLAMATION:
Rise of the Justoglos

With the new release of CK2: Rajas of India (and the Turkish Portrait Pack), I have decided to make a dynasty chronicling my experiences with the new DLC. This game is perfect for dynasties imo, and the borderless window mode will make screenshots even easier. In addition, the new addition of the Indian subconquest allows me to delve into areas the Alexander could never reach, and it provides a very enticing opportunity for a reconquest campaign of grand proportions that will stand the test of time. In order to do this, I have a list of goals I wish to accomplish, culminating in the total conquest of India (Which may or may not happen in 577 years of CK2 play, but not to worry, I plan on converting to EUIV), but I have picked a character start that sees me in an unlikely situation for reaching this grand conquest.

I am starting in 867, the Old Gods start. Pagans roam in Northern Europe, the Umayyad Sunnis have conquered most of Hispania, Christianity is split amongst Orthodoxy and Catholicism, and further between the sons of Charlemagne, and further east, A large number of infidels seek nothing more than to conquer all of Europe for their false religions.

In the middle of it all is the County of Naples (Napoli in Greek/Italian). Once a Greek province from the 2nd millenium BC, it later formed a part of the Greek province of Syracuse, and afterwards it was incorporated by the Romans when it played a part in the Punic Wars. Naples has a lot of Roman history, being one of the cities Virgil (Aeneid) was educated in, and being the city that the last western Emperor, Romulus Agustulus was exiled to following his defeat. After the fall, it spent some time in the hands of the Ostrogoths, the Byzantines, and the Papacy, but in 867, it is an independent single county. This offers a prime opportunity for expansion and an early way to set laws favorable to my future ambitions. With the Saracens to the south on the island of Sicily, The papacy and the Byzantines demanding tithes to the North and East, and the Duke of Benevento looming threateningly, Napoli is in danger of losing it's independence yet again. But the city has potential to blossom, armed with a brand new count from the East, bringing fanfare and a pompous claim to glory.

I am playing with a Ruler-Designer character, and I am also employing the following DLCs:
All Portrait Packs
Sword of Islam
Legacy of Rome
The Old Gods
Sons of Abraham
The Republic
Rajas of India
CK2 Customizer

Last edited:

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
SPQR%20Inscription.jpg

GOALS:

Short Term(As Count of Naples):
Don't get killed or vassalized against my will

Change Succesion Laws to Absolute Cognatic Primogeniture while I am still independent (And thus not bound by Crown Authority for the latter) and while I have a small amount of vassals (to avoid large culture penalties from Basque) House Justoglos is tolerant of all, and well aware of Greco-Roman history, and they are well aware of the power women can have based on the Spartan women of old.

Solidify dynasty/succesion and gain allies. Preferably I have 4 or 5 kids, and can marry 2 or 3 politically and 2 or 3 for eugenic purposes. I also hope that my ruler can wed a nice woman to help him succeed this goal (And add another alliance!)

Make sure Orthodoxy is solidified in Naples. If an heir ends up Catholic through education, I will resolve a way to make sure that doesn't become a trend, but this will not be a danger after I enact Ag-Cog.

Gain another county before incorporating. There are small counties near me as well, and grabbing them before entering the Eastern Roman Empire will help me to solidify a Duchy.

Short-Medium Term(As Duke, vassalized into ERE)
First order of business will be to swear fealty to the current emperor of the ERE. While he is a false ruler, this will be the easiest way to expand within the empre (Crown Authority being upped could prove problematic) and more importantly, protect from foreign hostility.

Start carving into either A: Italy, B: Greece, or C: Anatolia. Naples starts in the land of Aeneas, not the land of Achilles. To regain the throne in The City, I will need a significant army on the Greek or Anatolian mainland.

Gain a Kingdom within the ERE. ERE has the largest de jure land at the start, Kingdom-Wise, and it will be easy to gain one. Becoming a King will solidify my dynasty's claim.
Balance defeating infidels and barbarians with continuing to posture my position within the ERE. I will need to make sure Saracens don't interrupt my future crowning ceremony.

Medium Term (Becoming Emperor and Beyond)
Usurp the throne. My dynasty was wrongfully removed many years ago, and while the traitor Phocas' rule was short lived, the Makedons, or whoever has the throne at this time, are false rulers. I will keep my intentions, and the intentions of my children, hidden until the time is right to fight.

As Emperor, eliminate all enemies to the throne, by whatever means necessary. Subversive elements will get in the way of my ultimate ambitions, and harmony will be the key to keep the Roman Empire strong. This includes upping crown authority past Medium, securing Succesion Laws (including removing any Elective mechanism, even if I myself am elected), using my spymaster succesfully, etc.

Ensure my immediate area is safe. Any number of hordes could be around, from the Turks to the Mongols depending on how long it takes me. They must be subdued in order to march easst and recapture Babylon.

Mend the Great Schism. The Christian World have lost their way, and we do not need to fight in dark times such as these. Recapturing the Pentarchy will solidify my position as head of Orthodoxy. This includes taking back the holy land, Jerusalem, from both Catholics and Muslims, and whatever other religion wishes to claim it for itself.

Recapture my Paternal ancestor's claims. My father was born of a Mother in the Justinian dynasty, meaning my family's blood runs true with his. He recaptured most of the WRE's holdings, and I intend to do the same.

Medium-Long Term (As ruler of Orthodoxy and a true empire)
Burn Mecca and Medina to the ground. The Saracens have long antagonized us, and we will get our swift revenge when these cities burn in their false prophet's name. Should they beg for mercy and accept the True Faith, I will allow it.

Dominate the Mediterranean. Whether the Karlings or the Abbasids protest, they have no claims. From Portugal to Croatia, from Marrakech to Cyprus, it will fall under Roman rule.

Restore the Roman Empire. The empire has never died, and while a bishop sits on Rome, he will soon be defeated and the Empire restored.

Continue to defeat any barbaric hordes that may arise. This includes eventually dominating the Black Sea as well.

Conquer Babylon, as Alexander did.

Long Term (As Augustus)
March into Bactria and subjugate those who ride on grey beasts and meditate.

Defeat the Catholic heresy and destroy Islam. There is but one faith and Europe will know it well.

Eventually, go through the Jungles that Alexander could not, and subjugate the land of India.

Military Hall of Fame
Napoli's first general, Beltran, leads the county to a victory over the minor, Cagliari, and doubles the demesne of Count Gokhan.
13519503754_86a5b1d545.jpg

Last edited:

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
NaplestoRome.jpg

Roman Napoli marked by the lower red arrow, Roma by the upper
Prologue:
"Romulus and Remus were raised by wolves. I? I was raised by Turks."
Goosebumps, this line never failed. Such were the powerful words of Gohkan Justoglos. The students were wide eyed by this line in turn. I kept reading.
"I and my family spent many long years, centuries, during the Twenty Year's Anarchy, The Nikephorians, the Isaurians, exiled from our empire. Justinian's nephew, Justin II, adopted a son, Tiberius II, who in turn adopted Maurice (Who subsequently married his daughter, Constantia.) The traitor Phocas slayed Maurice and his 7 sons in cold blood, and 3 years later did the same to Constantia and her 3 daughters, effectively ending the Justininian dynasty.

Or did it? Constantia actually had a 4th daughter, Maria, who was eventual wed to the Persia Shah, Khosrau 2. She bore a son, Justoglos, who was cast out from the Persians following a bloody succesion war. Maria and her child grew up around the Caspian Sea, amongst the Turks, and Justoglos grew up and had many offspring, keeping the Justinian dynasty alive. While he himself was half-greek and half persian, the bloodline eventually became muddled with Turkic blood. My grandfather told me of my lineage, and I spent every day as a child, looking over the Caspian and dreaming of the beautiful City. My mother had been there once, and I asked for stories every day. My father vowed to me that we would one day return. He began teaching me Latin and Greek, as he himself was learning, and eventually we would move to Naples, an indepenent county at the hinge of 3 empires. We converted to Orthodoxy. When I was 24, my father died, leaving me with a network of close allies who wished to see the current count deposed.

Our plan was long-term, but it was sureproof. I joined the castle guard, headed up by a Basque man, and got close to the local count, gaining his trust. He adopted me as his own, and had I not loved my father so I would've thought not of killing my adopted one, but I knew my destiny. I laced arsenic in one of his meals, and my connection with the spymaster ensured I was succesful. I had gained the throne of Naples, and while the waves of the Mediterranean were not as calming as the Caspian, I was finally on a throne, albeit not the beautiful gilded one in the city. I looked at the military map on the table near me, and gathered by closest advisors, planning my next move."

"The initial prospects weren't very bright. If I was to see the throne restored to our dynasty, it was not going to be with just one city, albeit a grand city in itself, under my control. My initial actions were to bring in nobles from anywhere I could, calling in old favors with the Basques I had become friends with, in order to solidify a solid council that would advise me every step of the way, as well as some generals. In this way I knew I would be able to expand our reach. To my north was the small county of Capua, an enticing first target, the bishop of Rome, who would be a long term project, and the Duke of Benevento, whose position high up in the hills would work against me. To my south, a 'republic' ruled, seeking to trade in the Mediterranean. Fools, but they had too many mercenaries to go after. Saracens, Byzantines, and the Duke of Salerno also reigned in the area,and none of them were feasible options. I was becoming frustrated, but I decided to call in my council."

(Narrator): Ah interesting! He even left a transcript of the first ever council meeting.

"For my Chancellor I have selected Kaisarios Spartenos, a true greek and a member of the old Neapolitan ruling dynasty. For my Marshal, the good Mayor Isaias of Napoli, as his experience with the locals will prove useful in both conscription and dealing with rebels. For my steward, Gartizia de Cumae, from the west, a true business man who will be sure to curb my spending as needed. For darker tasks, Egdio de Cumae, not the sneakiest fellow but the best I can get for now; I have yet to assimilate with the locals enough to bring a true thief to my council. Finally, my Ecclessiarch will be Belisarios of Cumae, a holy man who will be my connection to God and will help guide me out of this land filled with heretics and infidels. They seem to be arriving now."

KAISARIOS, ISAIAS, BELISARIOS enter
KAISARIOS: Good tidings my lord. Are you getting settled in?
GOKHAN: In a sense, yes. It is a lot to take in, my adopted father dying, ascending to the county seat so quickly.
BELISARIOS: Know he will be resting with God now, and now it is time for action.
GARTIZIA and EGDIO enter
GARTIZIA: Excuse our tardiness ma'lord. You could imagine our surprise when us simple nobles were called to the council of Napoli.
GOKHAN: Of course, of course, it is a time of change for all of us. Our first order of business is deciding a future plan, so we can work towards it. Napoli has been a great city for centuries, and we must restore it to it's former glory.
ISAIAS: Do you mean expansion, my lord? We must ensure the locals are comfortable with being ruled by a foreigner.
EGDIO: And we must find out who poisoned your adopted father and guarantee you don't meet the same fate!
GOKHAN: Yes, yes, gentlemen, you are both correct. Napoli will grow under our rule. I may be a foreigner, with the eastern steppes in my blood, but I was adopted a Greek and everything I do is of Greek blood. The people will have no problem with this, and if they do, I have no qualms with eliminating them.
KAISARIOS: Sir, our foreign relations are in a bad place right now. Everyone around us wants a piece of us! Especially the Bishop of Rome and the Saracens.
GOKHAN: To hell with Infidels and Heretics! We are going to expand our reach. The larger we are, the less likely it is that those heathens actually attack us.
BELISARIOS: I agree sir. Destiny is on the side of Orthodoxy.
KAISARIOS: Surely it would not hurt to at least improve relations with those around us? I am an expert diplomat sir.
GOKHAN: I know you are experienced, but I have a job for you first. You are to go to Capua and make a claim in my name. Capua is a natural expansion point for us and it's capture means the reinstatement of the Duchy of Napoli.
KAISARIOS: But sir, Capua is one of our only friends...
GOKHAN: If you have a better suggestion, let me know. Until then, head to Capua.
KAISARIOS: Yes, sir....
KAISARIOS EXITS
ISAIAS: Sir, our armies are in poor shape. They have been using bronze for swords, their arrows are low in number and blunt, and Napoli has not had a true general in years.
GOKHAN: Right then. You are to lead up an initiative to improve our army. Train the troops, Conscript who you need to into our reserves. And find me a general.
ISAIAS: Right away.
ISAIAS EXITS
GARTIZIA: Sir, the county could use some building improvements. Our streets are in shambles.
GOKHAN: That is worrying, but my adopted father left the treasury in even worse shappe.
GARTIZIA: I can attempt to go raise taxes then.
GOKHAN: Excellent idea.
GARTIZIA: It shall be done.
GARTIZIA EXITS
EGDIO: Sir, the murder?
GOKHAN: Uhhh, yes, right, of course. I want you to go to the theives' dens of the city and discover any malcontent amongst the people, including our nobles.
EGDIO: That isn't solving the murder sir. I am a detective after all!
GOKHAN: Yes yes, you will have time to play detective later. But right now I need you to protect the Count that is still actually alive.
EGDIO: Of course my Lord.
EGDIO EXITS
BELISARIOS: What of me?
GOKHAN: I am a bit jealous, admittedly, but I want you to go to The City. Speak with the Patriarch, let him know of my adopted father's death, put in a good word for me. We will need his assistance in the future.
BELISARIOS: Your will be done, sir.
BELISARIOS EXITS
GOKHAN: SERVANT!
SERVANT: Yes sir?
GOKHAN: Be honest with me, can a Turk like me marry a nice Greek woman in a time like this?
SERVANT: Uh, well, I wouldn't really, necessarily, be able to say, one way or the other, sir.
GOKHAN: Er, what is your name, kid?
SERVNAT: Beltran, sir.
GOKHAN: Ha! Another basque man. Tell you what, if you find me a bride who doesn't look like she was born of a woodland troll, I will ensure your life is better than this.
BELTRAN: Right away, sir, thank you!
BELTRAN EXITS
GOKHAN: Children these days.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I wanted to pick a last name that reflected his roots as a descendant of Justinian (Just), something vaguely turkish sounding to represent his life near the Caspian (Ogl) and something Greek to represent his future (Os). -Oglou is probably what I should've picked since it's the perfect Greek-Turkish mix, but whatever, the guy naming it is quite the quirky character so of course he'd go against normal custom.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
byzantine-wedding.jpg

Chapter 1: Make Love before War

(Continuing from Gokhan's journal) "With 6 men sent off throughout the region to begin setting things into motion, I sat alone in my quarters for a while, thinking back to the Caspian. Things were much simpler then. I was not a slave to the drink, nor the thoughts in my head, I was young, full of life, excited about the future that lay ahead.

But now? I found myself having second thoughts, guilt. I took a long swig from a local bottle of wine. Italians sure knew how to make the stuff, nothing like the dirt water found back home. I wondered if I should go to my own marshal and have myself arrested for killing my adopted father. He was wise, and was grooming me for this county. But then I remembered our sacred fairly heirloom.

Byzantine_fresca_from_St-Lucas.jpg

We kept a parchment with this picture in our humble village shack. This man was supposedly one of Maurice's children, who was slain by the traitor Phocas. Whether you believe that or not, is one thing. But my grandfather told me that the sword on his sheath belonged to Justinian himself, and that it remained in the grand city. He told me that our family heirloom has a secret message encoded within the sheath that will prove our legitimacy once I take the throne back. Grandfather was always an ambitious one, of course. It would take a long time to wrestle control from the Makedonoi, most likely past my lifetime and the lifetime of my children and their children. While prospects were better than in the steppes, that wasn't saying much at all.

10 DAYS LATER:

GOKHAN'S COURT, AFTERNOON:

BELTRAN: My lord! I bring great tidings!
GOKHAN: Yes, what is it boy?
BELTRAN: I have found you a woman that actually wants to marry you! I mean uh, from the uh, many suitors...
GOKHAN: Excellent news! Where is the beautiful maiden? Perhaps it's a princess from a far realm, who has heard of my dashing charm?
BELTRAN: Even better, sir!
GOKHAN: Perhaps a Duchess, so our child will inherit and increase our land tenfold?
BELTRAN: Well, not quite... (BELTRAN looks a bit nervous) Why don't I just bring her here so you can see for yourself? Don't shave your moustache anytime soon by the way.
GOKHAN: What is that supposed to mean?
BELTRAN: Nothing, sir! I will go get the girl!
BELTRAN exits rapidly
GOKHAN: Servant, fetch my best attire, please. And make sure my daughter is hidden, just in case.
SERVANT: Right away sir.
Minutes later, BELTRAN and ANNA enter.
BELTRAN: My lord, may I have the honor of introducing you to the beautiful Miss Anna Konstantinos of Amalfi!
ANNA: I see this is not as regal as Beltran originally suggested...
GOKHAN bows and kisses ANNA's hand
GOKHAN: A pleasure to meet you my lady. I am honored to be in the presence of a patrician's daughter.
ANNA notices 2 wine bottles poorly 'hidden' behind GOKHAN's throne.
ANNA: Uh huh. Why should I marry you? I have had many courtiers asking for my hand but none of them have distinguished themselves.
GOKHAN: Because, Miss Anna, I am the Count of the great city of Napoli! I can show you history beyond your imagination! So what if I have a slight lisp [Narrator's Note: I'd rather just read this without the lisp if you all don't mind], my moustache is covering something up, and I drink way too much? I can promise an amazing time as you rule next to me! Plus, your home of Amalfi is really close if you change your mind.
ANNA: Well, I suppose... Maybe a tour of the castle will help convince me.
GOKHAN: Of course, my lady. (GOKHAN extends his arm, which ANNA takes).

3 days later the two are married in a beautiful ceremony over looking the Mediterranean. GOKHAN has still yet to diverge the fact that he has a daughter.

(Narrator): The two were married and quickly fell in love with each other. Gokhan was said to have spent 5 nights a week in his bedchambers, and Servants reported strange noises coming from the room on a constant basis.

Beltran, the servant, was promoted to nobility and sent to martial training for finding such an agreeable wife for Count Gokhan. The count was later angry to find out that Beltran's choice of a Patrician's daughter meant all the other local counts laughed at him for marrying a woman so low on the social ladder. But his love for his wife quelled his anger, and he realized the boy made the right choice after all.

Gokhan was content to waste the royal treasury on gifts for his wife, like a white riding mare in order for the two to go horseback riding in the countryside with. The chancellor, Konstantinos, had to remind him to get back to ruling a county for a change. Gokhan couldn't understand the hostility between him and his chancellor, and told him to stay in Capua and not send him any messages until a claim was fabricated.

Castle Aversa was happy to hear the good news that Countess Anna was expecting, just a year and a half or so after their marriage. Gokhan confidently writes in his journal "I knew the horse would work!".

Otherwise though, ruling Napoli was a bit boring. Even with Steward Gartizia collecting taxes in Napoli, there was not much money to build improvements to the county, certainly not enough for mercenaries to use against infidels. The Kingdom of Italy took control of the Saracen holding on the peninsula, getting closer to the lone county of Napoli. Count Gokhan told Kaisarios to hurry it up.

In passing time, Gokhan took up falconry. He had interacted with birds before near the Caspian, but with so much free time, he decided to fully look into it. He didn't have enough money to take a long pilgrimage to the Queen of Cities just yet (Or at least, Gartizia strongly advised against it given Italy's expansion), and he could only see so much of his wife (Which was a lot, granted). While out hunting with his falcon, whom he also named Gokhan (reasons why are unclear) he received news.

"On the 15th of March, year 869, I was out hunting in the hills near Salerno with Gokhan. He had been having an excellent day, and our relationship had improved. A rider came and found me from our castle guard, though.

RIDER: Sir, I bring news from Castle Aversa.
GOKHAN: Yes, what is it? And why am I still calling it Aversa?
RIDER: You can easily rename it sir, but that's not why I'm here. There's someone you're going to want to see.
GOKHAN: Yes, who? I am with Gokhan right now.
RIDER: Gokhan, sir? Isn't that your name?
RIDER notices a wine bottle broken about 50 feet away
GOKHAN: It's actually this fellow!
GOKHAN whistles for GOKHAN, who perches upon his arm.
GOKHAN(Falcon): CAW
RIDER: Right sir. Anyways, the castle? The Countess has given birth.
GOKHAN: Well why didn't you say so in the first place? Make haste lads!
GOKHAN and his bodyguards return to the castle, where they find ANNA with some midwifes and holding a baby in her arms.
GOKHAN: By Kristos he's beautiful.
ANNA: He has my eyes.
GOKHAN: Yes, he hardly looks a turk. But no matter, he too will have a glorius beard as I some day!
ANNA: Oh you.

GOKHAN: This calls for a celebration! Everyone in the county that isn't fabricating a claim right now is invited!
Some SERVANTS cheer in response. Somewhere in Capua, Kaisarios broods yet again.

Last edited:

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Justinian555AD.png

WIKI LINK: Justinian The Great

Justinian I (/dʒʌˈstɪniən/; Latin: Flavius Petrus Sabbatius Justinianus Augustus, Greek: Φλάβιος Πέτρος Σαββάτιος Ἰουστινιανός Flábios Pétros Sabbátios Ioustinianos) (c. 482 – 14 November 565), commonly known as Justinian the Great, was Byzantine (east Roman) emperor from 527 to 565. During his reign, Justinian sought to revive the empire's greatness and reconquer the lost western half of the historical Roman Empire.
One of the most important figures of late antiquity and the last Roman emperor to speak Latin as a first language,[sup][3][/sup] Justinian's rule constitutes a distinct epoch in the history of the eastern Roman empire. The impact of his administration extended far beyond the boundaries of his time and domain. Justinian's reign is marked by the ambitious but only partly realized renovatio imperii, or "restoration of the Empire".[sup][4][/sup]
Because of his restoration activities, Justinian has sometimes been called the "last Roman" in modern historiography.[sup][5][/sup] This ambition was expressed by the partial recovery of the territories of the defunct western Roman empire. His general, Belisarius, swiftly conquered the Vandal kingdom in North Africa, extending Roman control to the Atlantic Ocean. Subsequently Belisarius, Narses, and other generals conquered the Ostrogothic kingdom, restoring Dalmatia, Sicily, Italy, and Rome to the empire after more than half a century of rule by the Ostrogoths.
The prefect Liberius reclaimed most of southern Iberia, establishing the province of Spania. These campaigns re-established Roman control over the western Mediterranean, increasing the Empire's annual revenue by over a million solidi.[sup][6][/sup] During his reign Justinian also subdued the Tzani, a people on the east coast of the Black Sea that had never been under Roman rule before.[sup][7][/sup]
A still more resonant aspect of his legacy was the uniform rewriting of Roman law, the Corpus Juris Civilis, which is still the basis of civil law in many modern states.[sup][8][/sup] This work was carried out primarily by his quaestor Tribonian. His reign also marked a blossoming of Byzantine culture, and his building program yielded such masterpieces as the church of Hagia Sophia, which was to be the center of Eastern Orthodox Christianity for many centuries.
A devastating outbreak of bubonic plague (see Plague of Justinian) in the early 540s marked the end of an age of splendour. The Empire entered a period of territorial decline not to be reversed until the 9th century.
Procopius provides the primary source for the history of Justinian's reign. The Syriac chronicle of John of Ephesus, which does not survive, was used as a source for later chronicles, contributing many additional details of value. Both historians became very bitter towards Justinian and his empress, Theodora.[sup][9][/sup] Other sources include the histories of Agathias, Menander Protector, John Malalas, the Paschal Chronicle, the chronicles of Marcellinus Comes and Victor of Tunnuna.
Justinian is considered a saint amongst Eastern Orthodox Christians, and is also remembered by some in the Lutheran Church on November 14

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justinian_I

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Chapter 2: Expansion
"Life as the count was simple and enjoyable. I had a wife that loved me, No one had tried to subjugate me yet, and my councillors were still hard at work for me. I think. Who knows with Kaisarios.

On the 28th of April, 870, my third child was born. Anna still didn't know about little Ximena. This child was named Aria, after my grandmother from the Steppes. She was a spitting image of me. Well, minus the new facial hair I was sporting. Anna didn't like it, but it wasn't really her call, either. She evidently didn't seem to mind enough to stop us from our romps, because a year and a half later my second son was born.

Gokhan Jr. was another child who looked more like me than my wife. Still, little Justin was the stronger of the two, and it was clear early on.

With all these children, my Chancellor, Karisarios, returned from Capua with news.

GOKHAN'S COURT, DAY

KAISARIOS enters
KAISARIOS: My liege!
GOKHAN: Kaisarios, you're back. I hope you got the job done.
KAISARIOS: Yes I will get to that in a moment. But you mean to tell me you have 3 children and you've just been living lavishly for no care of expansion?!!?
GOKHAN: Woah there Kaisarios, I didn't ask you for a lecture in morality. I have Bellisarios for that.
KAISARIOS: THIS COUNTY IS IN SHAMBLES, MY LORD!
GOKHAN: Uh huh.
GOKHAN takes a swig of wine
GOKHAN: Well I can only bleed the peasants dry for so long. They killed Gartizia, you know.
KAISARIOS: Our "army" is nothing more than rabble who have a penchant for carrying around weapons of war!
GOKHAN: Look, Kaisarios, as far I know I am still the Count, regardless of whatever your dynasty claims it is or isn't. I'll decide how to run this county. Now, did you get the job done.
KAISARIOS: Yes, well, about that.
GOKHAN: Don't tell me you messed it up.
KAISARIOS: Well, I....
GOKHAN: No seriously, if you messed it up, get out of here, go try another county.
KAISARIOS: My liege, I can explain.
GOKHAN: Uh huh. Have a servant send me whatever it is I need to sign, and then get as far away from the Italian peninsula as you can.
KAISARIOS: Very well, sir...
KAISARIOS EXITS
SERVANT: Well there's good news and bad news, sir. For just 24 gold, we'll get a claim on Capua!
GOKHAN: First of all, that's not good news given the state of the treasury.
SERVANT: Uhm, well, yeah, but you see....
GOKHAN: Never mind that. What is the bad news?
SERVANT: Kaisarios may have made your reputation even worse than the normal fabrication of claims entails.
GOKHAN: WHAT?!?
SERVANT: Please sir, I'm just a messenger.
GOKHAN: No no, not you... Give me the paper, I will sign off on this. I hope he enjoys Cagliari.
SERVANT: That's an island sir, he probably will.
GOKHAN: Well tell him he is not allowed to enjoy himself.
GOKHAN takes a big swig of wine and signs off on the claim.

TWO YEARS LATER

GOKHAN's COURT, NIGHT

CHAPLAIN BELLISARIOS ENTERS
BELLISARIOS: My lord, I bring good news from the Queen of Cities.
GOKHAN: Finally, some good news from a councilman. What is it.
BELLISARIOS: Our noble Patriarch, Markos II, has heard of your exploits and is willing to offer us moral support and prayer. He would also like to meet with you.
GOKHAN: Meet, with me?
BELLISARIOS: Yes, sir. I noticed you have not gone on a pilgrimage, and, well, now would be the perfect time to do so.
GOKHAN: Interesting. Kaisarios will no doubt be angry about spending that much money for the trip.
GOKHAN thinks silently for a moment
GOKHAN: That makes it an even better plan!
BELLISARIOS: Excellent, sir! Should I have one of my servants begin planning the journey?
GOKHAN: Yes, I do think so.
BELLISARIOS: I will do sir. I'll be off to Constantinople, I hope to see you there. May Kristos be with you.
GOKHAN nods.

(Narrator): Unfortunately class, there is no transcript of his meeting with the great Patriarch Markos II.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Chapter 3: The Cagliari War

"The Queen of Cities was a wonderful experience, and I knew I could've stayed there my entire life if I so chose. But no, there was indeed business to take care of. Kaisarios sent a letter noting that he was done fabricating a claim in Cagliari. I didn't believe him until I returned to Napoli, but it was indeed true. I told him to go to Benevento next, before the Italians gobbled it up.

Before I declared a war on Cagliari, I needed to make preparations. I was to fight in this war myself, and I needed to ensure the succesion was safe. With two sons, Under Gavelkind laws, My fiefs would be split among them, making the conquest of Cagliari relatively pointless for our future. I had seen the full effects of Gavelkind succesion with the Karlings, and I wouldn't fall prey to that. Unfortunately, to enact Primogeniture succesion, I needed to wait for the false emperor to enact High Crown Authority. To this day I'm not sure why he can control what my laws do, but Kaisarios insisted. Normally that wouldn't mean anything, but he said the Byzantines would invade us if we changed it without waiting for High Crown Authority. Deifnitely an unnecessary reaction, but as of right now I didn't have another option. A couple of years later the vote was succesful, and I was able to change my own succesion laws.

I saved up enough money in case of mercs, and to pay for a year's worth of fleet costs, and declared war. I gathered my best general, the young Beltran who had found me Anna many years ago, and began the war.

We landed in Arborea, just north of Cagliari. We outnumbered the enemy, but I still worried about attacking onto their defenses. Beltran assured me it would be no issue, so I ordered it.

We were largely succesful.

The moral of the story here is to swear fealty if you are a small county on an island. They are lucky Italy didn't get them first! Kaisarios warned me that the same fate awaited me soon, and I was delaying the inevitable. Well, to hell with his negativity."

(Narrator): And that ends the War of Cagliari. Such a noble province these days, is it not?
Children: What happened next? More conquests for Gokhan?
Narrator: Well, not quite, you see... Gokhan's story is about to end, even if his legacy is just beginning.
Children: What?
Narrator: Hahah! We will continue next time, class! It is getting late, The Hagia Sophia is shrouded in darkness now. Let us walk back.
Children: Aw, I hate cliffhangers!

Narrator(Thoughts): We walked back through the streets, freshly paved. The city was modern, but the history remained. I imagined Gokhan and his company travelling through on his pilgrimage, amazed by the sites. Truly this was the greatest city in the world. I wonder if Gokhan himself is watching right now.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Going to resume with Justin I's story soon, but a couple of OOC thoughts:

*I'm ahead a bit of the story and I wish I had taken more screenshots. Specifically of Beltran (Who was a random courtier I invited that I ended up making into a character) and Kaisarios (I decided with his negative opinion that he'd be a neat foil to Gokhan)

*I don't know how I managed to work with such a low prestige. Given that I gave Gokhan four unattractive traits (and strong, an attractive one), there were few girls available to marry, so I went with the one with the best traits that was still young enough. Worked out for the best, because they both had +fertility traits (Gokhan two) and ended up breeding like rabbits.

*I barely incorporated the daughter that included in the ruler designer. I couldn't control her name, and she just felt kinda foreign. She died sometime during Justin's reign without children.

*Mercenaries save lives. I'm going to touch on this more, but the horse archers from the Pecheneg band are just awesome, they get amazing tactics and winning wars is a lot easier should you hold the cash.

*I'm waiting to find a good time to swear fealty to the Byz. Since their Crown Authority is at High, it wouldn't help me to fight fellow vassals and take land that way, so I have to play it by ear. I may end up going for the Kingdom of Sicily first once I do enter the empire, though that also will involve fighting with the Kingdom of Italy and the land of 1000 Karlings.

*Not every character will be as eccentrically written as Gokhan was. I'll try to write each character's first person conversation as their traits suggest, hopefully that serves to distinguish them.

*Lastly, I can't edit names other than mine/children/some grandchildren, but if any readers want either updates on a specific nation or would like one of my kids to be named after them, I'd be happy to oblige.

Last edited:

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
hagiasophia-01.jpg

Chapter 5: Sins of the Father
Narrator: "Come along now students! It may be early but the sun is rising and it's time for the next lesson!" The children trudged along, wondering just why they had to receive all their lectures in the hilly parts of Istanbul, looking at ancient structures. One child was happy to pipe up, though. "Who are we learning about today, teacher?"

"Oh today will be all about the Lion himself!" The children oohed and awed as they took their seats in one of the open air auditoriums. Modeled after the hippodromes of old, they were installed during industrilization as a return to the open forums of greek roots, and allowed for these outdoor teaching sessions.

"Let us get started, as the sun rises over the Sophia!"

-------
"It has been around 4 months since my father's early passing. My spymaster confirmed to me that the death was natural and there was no foul play. I was just a child when I heard, and today I would be taking the throne to the county. I much preferred dueling with my basque teacher. I was aiming to the be the best swordsman this side of the mediterranean, and I was damn good at it too. But my father's early fall opened up a new career path for me. He had doubled our land, left the coffers empty, and he allowed me to pick my own bride, which was atypical but much appreciated. Immediately my councillors were giving me advise left and right about which nation to attack and when to do it. But they failed to consider that with my father's passing, his claims went as well. I sent my councillor out to begin working, and luckily for me he was one of the best around.

My ambition for swordplay largely transitioned into an ambition to rule the world. Well, in a sense. I was still intelligent enough to know that it would take more than willpower to take on everyone. But I was confident that I could get it done. My first two weeks as a ruler were spent studying military tactics and reading up on the Justinian Dynasty of emperors. I admired how they ruled, and I always remembered the stories my father had told me about them. I felt well prepared to rule this nation justly, and to expand it without mercy.

Apollonia and I married on the 30th of March. We were a great match. She had the body of a goddess, with lofty ambitions as I, but she was still a pious woman. Never told a lie, would always be there to listen to me during my fits of anger.

I did not know her father very well; He was a simple baron and I had no use for him. After marriage, I continued to study and aim towards my next goal. Would it be Capua? Foggia perhaps? Maybe even the entire Duchy of Salerno?

My family was doing well. My brother, Gokhan, was not interested in ruling, so he left me no issues, and my youngest brother, Maurice, was still too young to worry about. I figure I'll give him some land eventually once the vassals start getting uppity. My sisters were all married matrilinealy to the best men I could find, vastly improving my nation's source of generals, stewards, and diplomats. It was a risky strategy, no doubt, forgoing alliances, But I figured it will pay off in the short run, and in the long run I'll be more powerful than any possible ally that could arise anyhow.

About a year later some great news came from Apollonia. She was with child. My father had told me that Men and Women were equal among the eyes of Kristos, and I believed him. I vowed to my wife that day that no matter the child's gender, they would be the next ruler of Napoli. Of course, I could not change succesion law yet, due to some 'stipulations', but I wouldn't let simple code stop me.

Shortly before my 19th birthday, my first child was born. She was a bundle of joy, little Aria, and I knew she would make a great ruler from the moment I looked at her. I vowed that day to protect her until the day I died, and to expand this land so that her, and all of my children, would be free to pursue whatever endeavors they wished. As my own father used to say, "You'll understand when you have kids." Boy was that ever true. If it were even possible, I worked even harder to reach my goals. I was tired of waiting to expand, and only my chaplain insisting on me going on a holy pilgrimage kept me from declaring on Capua that instant.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Are the pictures loading up for you'll? I see some of them are remaining as links. I've never worked with Flickr before so I'm submitting it as media rather than as a seperate image right now.

worst2first

As my own father used to say, "You'll understand when you have kids." :laughing:

Edit: About half of the pictures were working but when I reloaded the page all of them were.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
WIKI LINK: Antioch
paul_stirs_up_antioch.jpg

One depiction of Paul in Antioch

In preparation for the next chapter, I'd like to post this wiki link about one of the five pentarchies, Antioch. While the other 4 are pretty well documented historically (Istanbul, Jerusalem, Rome, and Alexandria), Antioch isn't as widely known. It is the place where Christians were first called such. Antioch will play an important role in the upcoming decades for this game and is one of the destinations for pilgrimage. It is currently part of the city of Antakya, Turkey.

Antioch on the Orontes (Greek: Ἀντιόχεια ἡ ἐπὶ Ὀρόντου; or Ἀντιόχεια ἡ ἐπὶ Δάφνῃ, "Antioch on Daphne"; or Ἀντιόχεια ἡ Μεγάλη, "Antioch the Great"; Turkish: Antakya; Arabic: انطاكية, Anṭākiya; Syriac: ܐܢܛܝܘܟܝܐ Anṭiokia; Hebrew: אנטיוכיה, antiyokhya; Georgian: ანტიოქია Ant'iokia; Latin: Antiochia ad Orontem; also Syrian Antioch) was an ancient Greek city[sup][1][/sup] on the eastern side of the Orontes River. Its ruins lie near the modern city of Antakya, Turkey.
Founded near the end of the 4th century BC by Seleucus I Nicator, one of Alexander the Great's generals, Antioch's geographic, military and economic location, particularly the spice trade, the Silk Road, the Persian Royal Road, benefited its occupants, and eventually it rivaled Alexandria as the chief city of the Near East and as the main center of Hellenistic Judaism at the end of the Second Temple period.
As a result of its longevity and the pivotal role it played in the emergence of both Hellenistic Judaism and Early Christianity, Antioch was called "the cradle of Christianity."[sup][2][/sup] It was one of the four cities of the Syrian tetrapolis. Its residents are known as Antiochenes. Once a great metropolis of half a million people, it declined to insignificance during the Middle Ages because of warfare, repeated earthquakes and a change in trade routes following the Mongol conquests, which then no longer passed through Antioch from the far east.

Christianity

Antioch was a chief center of early Christianity. The city had a large population of Jewish origin in a quarter called the Kerateion, and so attracted the earliest missionaries.[sup][9][/sup] Evangelized, among others, by Peter himself, according to the tradition upon which the Antiochene patriarchate still rests its claim for primacy,[sup][10][/sup] and certainly later[sup][11][/sup] by Barnabas and Paul during Paul's first missionary journey. Its converts were the first to be called Christians.[sup][12][/sup] This is not to be confused with Antioch in Pisidia, to which the early missionaries later travelled.[sup][13][/sup]
Georgia (Iberia) had been a part of the Patriarchate of Antioch since the fourth century. A multitude of Georgians lived in Antioch after the Byzantine victory side by side with the Greek population.[sup][14][/sup]
Surroundings of the city there were a number of Greek, Syrian, Georgian, Armenian and Latin monasteries.[sup][15][/sup]
The Christian population was estimated by Chrysostom at about 100,000 people at the time of Theodosius I. Between 252 and 300, ten assemblies of the church were held at Antioch and it became the seat of one of the five original patriarchates, along with Constantinople, Jerusalem, Alexandria, and Rome (see Pentarchy). Today Antioch remains the seat of a patriarchate of the Oriental Orthodox churches.
One of the canonical Eastern Orthodox churches is still called the Antiochian Orthodox Church, although it moved its headquarters from Antioch to Damascus, Syria, several centuries ago (see list of Patriarchs of Antioch), and its prime bishop retains the title "Patriarch of Antioch," somewhat analogous to the manner in which several Popes, heads of the Roman Catholic Church remained "Bishop of Rome" even while residing in Avignon, France in the 14th century. Many Georgian monks and clergy moved from Tao-Klarjeti to Antioch and alongside literary activities, they supported the spreading of Tao-Klarjetian artistic traditions. For that time the program of manuscript illumination based both on Tao-Klarjetian traditions and, especially, on Antiochene artistic thought was gradually established. The Alaverdian version of Abgar’s story is completely connected to the Antiochene traditions its insertion into the Georgian manuscript, alongside the other features, should be considered as a sign of respect to this tradition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antioch

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Chapter 6: Show No Mercer

"After consulting with my holy advisor, I decided to forgo the journey to Constantinople as my father once did, and instead head to Antioch for my pilgrimage. It was a time of peace for my demesne and while my chancellor was busying forging a new claim I figured it would be nice to go on vacation. I left Aria under the care of Apollonia, Though I made extra sure that my spymaster was watching my sister, Anna, and younger brother, Gokhan. They surely would want a piece of the succesion for themselves.

The journey to Antioch was long, and the city itself had changed hands between the Byzantines and the Saracens, of which the latter currently held it. No matter, I was not scared of Saracens and they allowed Orthodox pilgrims, lest the predominantly christian population revolt in outrage. Their tolerance was admirable, but only just. Antioch was one of the pentarchs, and it's rightful owner is an Orthodox, not an Infidel.

On my way to Antioch, I met an old woman and her family. She said that a saracen thief had stolen her purse, and that she would re compensate me if I got it back. I told her not to worry, and I tracked down a beat down the heathen. I felt a wave of holy spirit come over me, and I added a bit of my own gold to her purse for her troubles, and denied recompensation. It was at this moment I truly felt one with Kristos. If only I had the armies to drive the Saracens out of Antioch myself.

It would be six long years before I would be able to declare war on the Capuans. During this time my first son, Justin, was born. I had stockpiled gold for years upon years, in anticipation of hiring Turkish mercenaries for the war. Antso, my chancellor, finally brought me the good news. I gathered my best generals, and hired the mercenaries, and began preparations.

It was I, A turkish general, and my brother in-law, the Englishman Aethelstan, at the forefront of our army. I divided our company into units of 3, with my central flank composing the bulk, and the majority of the horse archers on the left under the turks. We were at a terrain disadvantage, attacking into the hilly Capuan countryside, but it was no matter. I kept my unit strong with a Grey Wall maneuever, Keeping my defenses strong while my archers attacked. It was a strong victory, and all that remained was a siege.

At the end of the battle, a woman from Napoli found her way to my camp. She was a courtier of mine, Baydzar. She told me of her long held desire for me, and that this was the perfect time for us to share our love away from the capital. While I loved my children, Apollonia quickly began to annoy me after a while, and I was happy to have someone new for a change. The two of us talked into the night, and I woke up an even happier man, leading a siege and about to incorporate more land under my rule.

In fact, we even managed to contract a traitor within the walls of the city. He let us know of the weakpoints in their defenses, and even poisoned some of the food. It was the final blow to the Capuans, and they were unable to recover. In late December, just weeks before the celebration of Kristos' birth on the 7th [I hope this is right]. I received his terms of surrender.

No less than hours later, I accepted, and, with both de jure counties under my rule, I created the Duchy of Napoli, and with it, I began to shout my presence to those that dare try and stop me.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Chapter 7: The Duke went down to Georgia

7 years later...

"I was awoken today by my Chancellor, Antso. My brother in law, Aethelstan, had been chosen as the next bishop of Corfe, a small bishoprice in Dorset, England. I had fought beside him in the war against Capua, and he was the uncle to my children through marriage, and had two of his own that stayed with my sister. It was saddening to see him go, but he had done all he could for us.

This was not the first bad news I was to receive over this year.

In the middle of September, at just 31 years old, my first wife and mother to my children, Apollonia, had left this earth. My doctors ruled out a natural death, and were convinced there was foul play involved. We had 6 children together (I also had two bastards, with Baydza, but her husband took them as his own, the fool), and I had loved her very much.

But, the times change. I grieved, but I figured it best for my demesne if I remarried. I sent Antso out to find me a new wife, as he had already given me a claim on Salerno and I figured he could use a break. He found the prefect match for me in the east, in the small Kingdom of Georgia. The King, Davit, had just two daughters and a bastard son. While the older one was married matrilineally, the younger one, Ia, was about to turn 16. I traveled to the King's court to meet her, and I was bestruck by her beauty, and her way with words. We were a perfect match. I asked for the King's blessing, and he granted it. The alliance with the Georgians would not be the strongest, given our distance from each other, but I had secured a partner who would keep me company and help me through the stresses of ruling.

And with any luck, she would produce a Justoglian child who would take the throne of Georgia in the future. King Davit's succession was election based, and there was a chance that my wife would inherit as princess.

Life was good, for the moment.

At the turn of the year I got some good news regarding my daughter, Aria. She had been spending time in the court of Doux Theodotos II of Anatolia, under his tutelage. She had become a greek in every way, and that would help provide legitimacy to my future ambitions. Though my own vassals were not entirely pleased that she was not a basque. She had taken her mother's kindness, from what I heard.

A year later, my neighbors to the north entered into a strange situation. The old King of Italy, Louis Karling, had died, and Liudfredo d'Asti, Duke of Tuscany, had taken the throne in an election. This was both good and bad news, as Italy was no longer Karling ruled, but I had managed to keep the old King on good terms regarding Cagliari, and there was no telling what d'Asti would do. He quickly enacted medium crown authority in his Kingdom, preventing vassal in fighting to consolidate his military power. It was worrying, but for the moment, he had some rebels to put down and was helping the King of Asturias in the west, so I paid it no mind.

In fact, Ansto had soon after notified me of his succes in fabricating a claim on Taranto, the other county in the Duchy of Salerno. I asked my spymaster to file a report on his army strength. The numbers looked good, and I sent out an envoy to the Pecheneg band, hoping our relationship would strengthen and that they would be willing to return to another Napolitan war.

Link for the 6th since there's a 5-per post limit: https://secure.flickr.com/photos/121439492@N04/13631781585/in/photostream/

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Chapter 8: War and Peace

"The Pechenegs gladly agreed to help us. For the exact same rate they did last time, that is. No matter, for I had the foresight to think ahead and save enough money to keep them for at least a year. We would not need that long. We departed for Taranta, I leading the central flank, the turks on each side. Their horse archers were split evenly amongst our forced, and it worked to devastating effect.

We attacked over the mountains. Normally suicide, but we had three things going for us. Numbers, smarter generals, and most importantly, the Swarm Volley Tactic, exclusive to Horse Archers. We bombarded their defensive position outside of the small city of Mottola. It was a slaughter. The sieges went easy with their forces scattered and weakened, and I disbanded the mercs and finished off the war with ease. Just like that, our land was increased yet again.

After conquering Salerno, I distributed the County of Taranta to my younger brother, Maurice. He was getting antsy with his requests, and I couldn't hold all of the lands under my own rule. No matter, with Primogeniture succession, he was no real threat.
Speaking of successions, after 10 years as Duke of Napoli, I changed the laws yet again to Absolute-Cognatic succesion, meaning the first born child, regardless of gender, would inherit my lands. In addition, women could be named rulers in my realm. While my first born son, Justin, was the stronger ruler, My daughter, Aria, deserved this duchy herself.

At 18 years old, she was married to the brother of a Greek Doux. Of course, he was a member of the Makedon dynasty, but so far from the emperorship that I did not consider him a threat, and my daughter petitioned well to marry him after spending so much time in Greece. I was powerless to say no.

In an odd turn of events, I realized the midwife in charge of the birth of my second daughter accidentally named her Aria as well. I was extremely confused, to say the least. I avoided this problem with my first daughter with Princess Ia, and made sure to pay extra attention to avoid similar situations in the future. Heiress Aria had taken after me in terms of military strategy, though I wished not to risk her in war. I kept her and her new husband in Aversa, where they would presumably be safe from any one who had bad intentions. Of course, these things are never this easy...

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Switching from Flickr to Imgur. May work better and more importantly I'll be able to use more than 5 images per post.

Also, I really love horse archers in this game. I'm just starting to read into how tactics work, and they definitely get the best ones. Once I'm able to afford/have the limits for retinues, I'm going solely for the Greek Cataphracts (wish I could get the Altaic culture ones, but that would cause more problems vis a visvassals that I already have with female heirs/rulers in the future)

Chapter 9: In the Shadows

"Antso provided me a quick report of the armies of each independent state. That 30 thousand from the Byzantines looks quite tough. The Italians are still tough, but the East Francians are a serious threat.

MBgu2fkl.png

More good news came from my wife, Ia. She informed me that her father, King Davit, had now chosen her as the heir to the Kingdom of Georgia, over her sister, follow the birth of our second child, Europa. It was good news, and to have a wife/daughter on the throne would give me an important ally in the future.

fgm8CzVl.png

In fact, Antso was full of good news lately. His chancellor work was highly impressive, and he managed to grab a claim on Foggia and the Republic of Amalfi (the latter held by my cousin)ithin the same year.

LkTOwfql.png

FmYkG0jl.png

I was eager to get to war. I sent Antso up to croatia, hoping he could grab a couple more claims, but for the moment I focused on which of the two claims I had received to take over first. I was confident I could take either at a moment's notice. My army was strong and experienced, and I had not lost yet.

My spymaster, however, notified me of other plans. Our spy defense had failed again, and there would be blood to pay for crossing me.

YZElFnal.png

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Chapter 10: Sword and Dagger

"It is not the easiest thing, you know. Killing a family member. That's why I was so shocked to hear that my son's assasin was not an outside force but an eternal one. I had no time to grieve. I was preparing for war, and I needed to make sure that a mistake like this would not happen again. First Apollonia, and now one of her sons? I would not stand for this any longer. I gathered my entire council together. They were to drop what they were doing and find out who did it at once.

It had come to pass that my youger sister, Anna, was the one who did it. At least, I think so. They said Anna Gokhanez, and she was the most likely of the many Annas. I didn't much care. She was killed in the same way my son was. I had her body thrown with the rats, she deserved nothing less.

vHhIiW2.png

Of course, her husband, Cenn-Feblad, one of my generals, was now leaving. That was fine by me, a necessary loss to get revenge.

nhVhx7L.png

With my internal affairs secured for the time being, I turned my attention outwards. Foggia would give me a port on the other side of Italy, and it would help bolster futher expansion in the Adriatic.

VG8jUIk.png

As I, my Uncle Maurice, and my father's long time general Beltran left Capua, we received news from a messenger. My grandson, Justinian was born. He would become 2nd in line to the throne.

XV3cMuK.png

Just months later, my second son would come of age. He was a masterful military commander. I had him join our attacking force as soon as he possibly could.

8ZpWS0M.png

mqH3FCX.png

After some time, the war was finished. We had defeated Foggia.

43u6508.png

But something felt off. I could feel it in the air. Word came from the Patriarch. The Saracens were uniting to threaten all of Christendom.

UbyTj7U.png

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Chapter 10: Regal Matters

"Saracen Jihads were a bit worrying, though as of right now I held none of their holy sites and did not have much worry. The Byzantines, on the other hand, would. I am not sure if I should be cheering for their demise or for the demise of the saracens. I suppose the latter is easier on me in the long term.

Still, I had a lot of expanding to do. First, the republic of Amalfi, one ran by my maternal Grandfather, had to go. I pressed my claim on the province itself, though the republic would still exist through it's trade posts. No matter for me.

dq21Piy.png

As I was mobilizing troops, I received excellent news (for my purposes, at least). King Devit of Georgia had passed following a severe bought of stress, leaving my beloved Ia to take the throne. I consoled her for a couple of days, and then she was off the rule in the east. I took great pleasure to calling myself King of Georgia. Though Aria, my heir, would not inherit the Georgian Kingdom as well, I still had 4 children with Ia, and one of them would surely carry on the Justogolos name in the East.

RByII67.png

I think my cousin was so terrified at the Georgian Inheritance that he simply gave up. As alluded, I allowed him to keep his republic in titular form.

tTlDEWB.png

It was not all good news, however. The Caliph of the Shia, a young Ghalib, has called together his believiers (Admittedly a bit small compared to the Sunni, though an infidel is an infidel by any means) to attack the Kingdom of Syria, or at least what remains of it. Antioch, one of the pentarchies, will face a heavy assault from the muslim scourge. I pray they will find it in their hearts to overcome the threat.

HRyWfRk.png

Politics on the Italian Peninsula have been complicated. Ancona won indepdence in a war, though they are too strong to take out. the Duchy of Bari is still protected by the Lothar Kingdom, which in turn is protected by Karlings. Tunisia, a prime target for expansion, was reached by the Byzantines first. They'll get what's coming to them in this Jihad most likely, but that still leaves me with little option for expansion. It's time to call together a war council and plan my next move.

YrKqwI2.png