• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Big 12 to penalize teams for showing controversial replays on jumbotrons

Thepro_23

Part of the Big 12's new sportsmanship policy: Schools can be subject to penalty if they show controversial replays too much in a venue.

-David Ubban via Twitter

link to tweet is here:

This sets a pretty bad precedent and is a horrible move IMO.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Is there some reason why they don't want schools to show those type of replays? I don't get it.

Thepro_23

Is there some reason why they don't want schools to show those type of replays? I don't get it.
This is the closest thing to an explanation I can find.

"Bob Bowlsby, in consultation with associate commissioners in that particular sport, as well as the deputy commissioner will decide what penalty, if any, is given to a school that violates the sportsmanship policy," Corolla said. “There’s no hierarchy, per se. We’ll evaluate them on a case-by-case basis. The school will then have 24 hours to appeal our decision."

I'm just going to assume that they're trying to take pressure off of the officials by sheltering them from the boos and stuff.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Not showing controversial plays won't help the refs. Because a lot of times, the fans can see what the correct call is and be less angry about it.

There's no point to this.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Kella to continue not watching regular season CFB

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
MLB has actually had this instituted for a long time. They're not allowed to show controversial calls in the park or they get fined.

Soonerfan09

MLB has actually had this instituted for a long time. They're not allowed to show controversial calls in the park or they get fined.

I was at the Padres - Mets game last night. There was a close play at 3rd where the runner (Padres' player) was called out on a close play. They showed it on the screen and he looked safe, so they showed it a few more times, and once in slow motion where you could see that the runner was obviously safe.
Shortly after that, the call was either challenged or just reviewed, but either way, it was overturned.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
I was at the Padres - Mets game last night. There was a close play at 3rd where the runner (Padres' player) was called out on a close play. They showed it on the screen and he looked safe, so they showed it a few more times, and once in slow motion where you could see that the runner was obviously safe.
Shortly after that, the call was either challenged or just reviewed, but either way, it was overturned.
Interesting... I have a friend who works for an MLB team and he told me they weren't allowed to show close replays (as of 4-5 years ago)

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Yeah, I've been at games recently where they do show close plays. That's probably changed with the reviews now. Because I do remember them not showing any close plays before then.