• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Beardown about Uniforms - don we now our ghey apparel

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
You mean Kansas isn't going to have the giant parrot, I mean, "jayhawk" on their head anymore? That's too bad, how else are we supposed to mock Kansas football? I guess we could watch Kansas play football.

Smart decision by the interim HC though. I think shiny and wild alternate uniforms is fine when you're a team that is competing or trying to rebuild and attract recruits but when you're out there getting your ass kicked every week, you just look ridiculous wearing chrome and wild color combos. There was nothing wrong with the standard Kansas uniforms.

KU has classic basketball uniforms, if the football program would just mirror those, they'd be golden. Well, they'd still suck at football but they'd look good.

Renegade

Charge on!
So there's been some penalties this year for teams not wearing white on the road (subbing in gray). My thought is that CFB should promote the pageantry of the uniforms and allow teams to wear any color as long as the visitor's color has contrast with the home team's.

E.g.: UF can wear blue and FSU can wear garnet instead of one team having to wear white, but you might draw the line at FSU wearing garnet against Georgia's red.

It's how it works in soccer, where teams often wear their "home" jerseys on the road unless it conflicts with the home team's jerseys, and it's also become more common in baseball with teams ditching the traditional white home and gray away jerseys.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
I thought "contrasting colors" were the only requirement. The visiting team wearing white isn't a requirement, IIRC. Hasn't LSU worn white at home for a long time? Also, USC-UCLA went back to both teams wearing home jerseys since 2008, something I'm very glad they did.

Renegade

Charge on!
I thought "contrasting colors" were the only requirement. The visiting team wearing white isn't a requirement, IIRC. Hasn't LSU worn white at home for a long time? Also, USC-UCLA went back to both teams wearing home jerseys since 2008, something I'm very glad they did.

I think the teams can agree, but the away team must wear white unless the home team is wearing white barring an agreement otherwise. You sometimes see the agreement in rivalry games or bowl games, but not for most regular games.

bruin

watching OU/Texas last week while tailgating I thought it would be pretty sweet to see Burnt Orange v Crimson.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
Can you cite where someone got penalized for not wearing white on the road? USU wore grey tops in Provo this year. I don't really follow USU articles locally very closely, but I haven't heard anything about their being penalized for it.

mcnoles

Another picture of USC helmet.

B0GM0YBIAAAmUr8.jpg

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Can you cite where someone got penalized for not wearing white on the road? USU wore grey tops in Provo this year. I don't really follow USU articles locally very closely, but I haven't heard anything about their being penalized for it.

It depends how dark it is I think.

6712634.jpg

These were fine.

13372163-standard.jpg

These weren't.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I believe the "official" NCAA rule was changed after USC wore cardinal vs UCLA and were penalized a timeout to start each half and UCLA burned a timeout each half to even it out. After that season, the NCAA changed the rule allowing teams to mutually request to play color v color, but the conference has to approve it. Not sure how that works out for non-conference matchups like the Ark State-Auburn picture above but for conference play, the conference has to approve.

I'd love to see color v color get more widespread usage. Texas-OU is a good example of a color v color matchup that would be awesome, although Texas' road whites are one of the best uniforms in football.

gilstein21

I thought the Arky St penalty was because the numbers did not contrast enough with the uniform and they were told such. It doesn't look too bad in that picture but on TV in real time, those numbers were hard to see.

bruin

I believe the "official" NCAA rule was changed after USC wore cardinal vs UCLA and were penalized a timeout to start each half and UCLA burned a timeout each half to even it out. After that season, the NCAA changed the rule allowing teams to mutually request to play color v color, but the conference has to approve it. Not sure how that works out for non-conference matchups like the Ark State-Auburn picture above but for conference play, the conference has to approve.

Yeah, Carroll and Neu both called a TO to start each possession that game. Was very cool.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I thought the Arky St penalty was because the numbers did not contrast enough with the uniform and they were told such. It doesn't look too bad in that picture but on TV in real time, those numbers were hard to see.

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaa...g-gray-uniforms-against-164336310--ncaaf.html

Sounds like they were penalized a team personal foul for both non-contrasting jersey color and non-contrasting numbers. I think they would have been okay if the numbers were outlined in white, at least for the second half of that penalty. Those were sharp uniforms though, very tough to do gray jerseys well.

I'm honestly surprised Nebraska wasn't pushing it with their number contrast on this year's alternate uniforms. In pictures and on TV, the number contrast was clear. At the game itself, under the lights with the reflective material, it was nearly impossible to distinguish the numbers. I wish we had been penalized for wearing such hideous uniforms though. I was embarrassed.

adidas-Nebraska-Red-Rising-960.jpg

Ugh. So bad. And the cleats looked orange, which was awesome against Illinois. :vomit:

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Utah's new black helmets are god damn beautiful.

B0QazMNIQAA1FXt.jpg

That's the type of black helmet I always wished Nebraska would do. Matte black with chrome red N. But Adidas is lame as shit.

jdlikewhoa

Beardown is out of his mind.

Also, tuned in to watch some horrible Pac-10 ball at halftime of the ND-FSU game just to see those beautiful Oregon unis.

gilstein21

i liked the state uniform, but it would have been better if the logo wasn't chromed. The ULL uniform was horrible though.

Last edited: