• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Beardown About...Rose Bowl #0

bjc

Butt Naked Wonda
They're proposing a new roughing the passer rule regarding hitting a QB below the knees.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
They're proposing a new roughing the passer rule regarding hitting a QB below the knees.

Just put a red cap on the QBs helmet and pair of a flags.

Bart Scott for 7 on 7 flag football taking over 11 on 11 tackle football in about 20 years.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Brent Musburger is getting moved to the lead spit on the SEC network with Short Tie Palmer.

Will be interesting to see what happens with the ABC primetime spot. I hope Nessler gets it.

Chase

Musburger demoted, what a surprise. Chris Fowler will probably replace him.. his contract is up after the World Cup and word is he's forcing his way to the top.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Musburger demoted, what a surprise. Chris Fowler will probably replace him.. his contract is up after the World Cup and word is he's forcing his way to the top.

Musburger's contract was up. That's why he's on SEC Network now. Plus the fact he burned his bridges so he has no where else to go.

No Fowler please.

They'll probably just put Nessler on ABC with Herby, move Jones to ESPN1 with Blackledge and then move Pasch to ESPN2 Primetime. They can call up somebody from ESPNU to do the Noon games. Pam Ward is also available.

Also, putting Musburger and Palmer on SEC Network means they will probably shift a lot of their better games there to get cable carriers to pick them up. Maybe not their first pick, but probably the 2nd pick ESPN gets each week.

bruin

Give Musburger back and let the SEC have Ron Franklin back.

"Has 5, has 10!"

Miss you, Ron.

but, Sean McDonough>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I'd go McDonough/Spielman or Herbstreit then Nessler/Blackledge.

McDonough was CBS' main guy in the late 90's/early 00's. Called the NCAA tourney too. Should have never left. Always have felt he's been under used at ESPN.

Last edited:

Chase

And just like that Fowler signs a reported 10 year $35 million dollar deal. More guaranteed money than Jarius Byrd. He will be the announcer for Saturday Night Football on ABC including the MNC game and one of the semi-final games. Will still host College Gameday and all of the Tennis majors.

gilstein21

"Has 5, has 10!"

Miss you, Ron.

but, Sean McDonough>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I'd go McDonough/Spielman or Herbstreit then Nessler/Blackledge.

McDonough was CBS' main guy in the late 90's/early 00's. Called the NCAA tourney too. Should have never left. Always have felt he's been under used at ESPN.
McDonough isn't bad. I guess I wrote him off early due to his time slot. I just love this Franklin exchange with Holly Rowe though. "If the coaches are giving up," Rowe added, "what does that say to the players?" Franklin responded: "Holly, it's not giving up. It's 49–21, sweetheart."

bruin

that's why ESPN let him go though right? He asked why a female production assistant was sitting in a meeting with some coaches and announcers or something.

Franklin and Gottfriend will always have a special place in my heart

gilstein21

He was fired when he called Jeneane Edwards Sweet baby in a production meeting. She got mad so he then called her an asshole. Moral of the story: Don't let women talk about sports.

bruin

YES. The legend of Ron Franklin lives.

never going to look at Jeneane Edwards the same now. Would still smash, but not the same.

Dat new avi!

bruin

Shelley Smith.

She jinxed the finish to our recruiting class this year. She was live on ESPN/ESPNU the whole day on campus and we missed out some guys. All her fault.

bruin

she ain't no Colleen Dominguez.

354179.jpg

would definitely check her oil.

gilstein21

how's spring practice going? Some schools have started, more cranking up this week. I know we don't get a lot of info from the spring practices, but it holds us over for a few weeks of this long offseason.

Chase

Northwestern players can unionize; people on the OSU board have begun saying "there goes college athletics as we know it."

Good.

As they sip their Mountain Dew refreshing Hineygate while they put off their community college homework.

bjc

Butt Naked Wonda
can we drop their asses from participating academically and have them pay their way like everyone else. considering that they are employees for a sport they have no reasoning for getting a free education. id laugh in their faces once they dont make the nfl and are stuck with no education and no job. serves your greedy ass right

That's all fine and dandy, but if your job is to play college football that is your income so that will have to be changed if this is allowed to stand. If I were Northwestern..I'd end all their scholarships and room and board payments until they stop this silly notion. In fact, I'd kick them all off the team, if they want to remain a part of the University they can pay tuition and room and board like everyone else or get an academic scholarship. If that ends their program until they can rebuild with kids who want to get an education and play a little football on the side...then, so be it. I'm nearly certain that is what Hargis would do. At least I hope that is what we would do.

Northwestern should just fire them all. Tell them that if they want to be treated like employees, then they can deal with possible repercussions. They are being paid in the form of free education, room and board, meals, tutors, they get a stipend, they're treated like gods, they get to date cheerleaders, they get to make connections, free vacations and gifts if they make a bowl, and countless other amenities. If you don't like that job description and perks, don't apply for the job in the first place.

Some of the comments. LAWD

Last edited:

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
@bjc That last one was a real doozy. I've always enjoyed the band/music major comparison. The band travels as well and gets a scholarship, vacation, stipend, etc. in very similar ways to the football team. If the 1st chair saxophonist writes a single, he can sign with any record company and profit. The NCAA prohibits student-athletes from working at McDonald's.

Another comparison:
What if Mark Zuckerberg rowed crew with the Winklevoss and was on scholarship? He wouldn't be able to generate ad revenue and get Facebook off the ground without violating NCAA bylaws.

Looking at the bigger picture, this is a win for student-athletes in general as they are beginning to be respected as young adults and instead of kids that are treated like cattle.

Lightningwar

Administrator
Coolege football as we know it is gone. No more generating millions in revenue while paying those producing it a few thousand in book keeping changes. Those three comments are pathetic. I bet those who made them barely have a high school diploma and are overweight slobs.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
They know the union isn't even asking for payment right? Never mind, of course they don't know that, what was I expecting?

Lightningwar

Administrator
Chances are high down the road compensation will be asked. So I don't think it is against the spirit of the conversation to bring it up.

bjc

Butt Naked Wonda
My biggest issue is that these idiots act like most college football athletes sign with education in mind before football.

Right. :thumbsup:

coogrfan

"Northwestern players can unionize"

Well...no. A regional NLRB director agreed that Northwestern football players met the definition of "employees" and could therefore form a union and begin collectively bargaining with that University. There's a lot that still has to happen for that to actually take place. Yes, the players won a victory but it's only the first in a series of hurdles they will face.

Everyone should probably just take a deep breath, relax and wait to see how this plays out.

Wooly

My biggest issue is that these idiots act like most college football athletes sign with education in mind before football.

Right. :thumbsup:

But therein lies the problem in my mind. I wish they didn't choose schools based on football first. The further things move in this direction, the more we need an NFL development league. It's probably the only thing that can save CFB for me in the long run. Just have all the athletes that would rather just practice their sport instead of school go to the development league, they can go college like any other student. If you got rid of scholarships, or mandated half scholis, who would still play sports? Just those kids that like playing the sport, and then they would probably still take school seriously. If you look at athletics as whole, only a few sports have the problems that football &basketball have (sometimes baseball & hockey too). Athletes in other sports are by and large pretty good students. They have no illusions of being a professional athlete, and many of them do not get full scholarships either. They play sports for other reasons. You could turn football and basketball into something a lot more like the other sports if you approached it right. Change the incentives, change the recruits, and you will get different outcomes.

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
Oh UNC. http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox...hlete_got_an_a_for_a_one_paragraph_paper.html

Mary Willingham, who spent a decade tutoring and advising UNC’s jocks before turning into a whistleblower, unveiled the paper during an interview with ESPN. As the segment explains, academically troubled UNC athletes were encouraged to sign up for so-called “paper classes”—which were essentially no-work independent studies involving a single paper that allowed functionally illiterate football players to prop up their GPAs, thus satisfying the NCAA’s eligibility requirements. While viewers were not treated to any of the "work" produced in those courses, Willingham did show this paper she later clarified was written for an actual intro class, in which the athlete finished with an A-:
146_word_essay.jpg.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.jpg

And here’s the text.
On the evening of December Rosa Parks decided that she was going to sit in the white people section on the bus in Montgomery, Alabama. During this time blacks had to give up there seats to whites when more whites got on the bus. Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat. Her and the bus driver began to talk and the conversation went like this. “Let me have those front seats” said the driver. She didn’t get up and told the driver that she was tired of giving her seat to white people. “I’m going to have you arrested,” said the driver. “You may do that,” Rosa Parks responded. Two white policemen came in and Rosa Parks asked them “why do you all push us around?” The police officer replied and said “I don’t know, but the law is the law and you’re under arrest.​

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
Norm Chow abruptly ended media interviews during spring practice because he didn't like a reporter. A reporter who was critical of Chow's hiring Kevin Clune as DC was seen among a group doing interviews. Chow yelled that he wasn't welcome and ended all interviews even though the reporter said he would leave so others could do their jobs.

This is that guy who seemed surprised when he was told BYU administrators weren't going to name him head coach even though he didn't get along with them. Unless you're a champion (like Urban or something), you can't get away with this crap.

Chow has apologized, but you know it was because school administration came down on him. I think he deserved a chance to be a HC, but this seems to show why no one would take a chance on him before now.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Norm Chow abruptly ended media interviews during spring practice because he didn't like a reporter. A reporter who was critical of Chow's hiring Kevin Clune as DC was seen among a group doing interviews. Chow yelled that he wasn't welcome and ended all interviews even though the reporter said he would leave so others could do their jobs.

This is that guy who seemed surprised when he was told BYU administrators weren't going to name him head coach even though he didn't get along with them. Unless you're a champion (like Urban or something), you can't get away with this crap.

Chow has apologized, but you know it was because school administration came down on him. I think he deserved a chance to be a HC, but this seems to show why no one would take a chance on him before now.

4-20 record doesn't help especially after the success they had, especially under Jones, but even under McMackin.