• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Southpaw Gon' Look Are you from PD looking for evidence on @brick, sir? The Miami Hurricanes Thread aka Baseless Rumors Corner

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Attendance awful at the stadium and in the thread, fire Golden.

lol that was the worst punt of the night but with a 25 yard bounce.

Keith1212

Golden won't get fired. The school's leadership is fine with and possibly even wants perpetual underachievement and mediocrity in athletics. The AD lucked into Larranaga so the basketball program is better than decent for as long as he's there but football is fucked until things change within the schools leadership (not happening lol). It sucks but it is what it is. I've stopped caring. Maybe I'll start again when the school does.

GuyIncognito

pressure cooker full of skittles
Who would you all go after?

Miami has always had three choices:

1. Coaches who don't have any particular attachment to the program, have some success, and leave for a bigger paycheck.
2. Coaches who aren't very good who stay as long as the school will have them because they don't have other options.
3. Coaches who do have a connection to the program and are willing to put a premium on being at Miami.

I think Option 3 is our best chance at sustained success, so I'd start out looking for people who already have a connection to the program. This UNC fiasco probably buries Butch, but you've got Mario Cristobal at Alabama who is a former Cane player and coach (also a fantastic South Florida recruiter who turned FIU into a respectable program before being inexplicably fired). You've got Rob Chudzinski at the Indianapolis Colts.

I'd be fine with Cristobal personally. He's been around some fantastic coaches, including being under Nick Saban right now. He knows Miami as well as anyone could, I think he gets it.

Of course the Miami fan base is going to throw out a bunch of names that aren't even within the realm of possibility. I try to be more realistic haha.

Personally I'd be fine with Butch Davis too. He hasn't been accused of anything that I personally have a problem with, but I just have a feeling nobody with any kind of NCAA black marks is going to be seriously considered.

If you want somebody who is going to win consistently AND stay at the program long-term, you simply have to find somebody who values the program itself, because we'll never have the money to compete in a financial arms race.

Last edited:

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Apparently Shalalalala is saying that this is basically Al's first year because of the cloud.

Glad she's on her way out.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Cristobal would be a good hire but it should be noted that Miami doesn't really seem to need any help recruiting. It looks like you guys have plenty of athletes. That offense looked amazing against FSU for the 1st half. Miami needs a better in game coaching staff.

GuyIncognito

Golden is a good recruiter too. This is a great recruiting staff. So you're right that recruiting isn't a huge weakness, and there is a ton of talent on the roster, but it's still important that the next guy be able to keep it up in South Florida. Great recruiting isn't an automatic at Miami even if it is a relatively easy task.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
The recruiting is okay. I've read some criticism of Golden's recruiting that makes a lot of sense. That said SoFla recruiting has gotten so darn shady, and we've clearly had enough talent on the field to win all of these games.

As for coaches, Mak listed the obvious 3 top candidates and you could throw Schiano in as well. I would be fine with Chud (although supposedly he hates recruiting), Butch or Mario.

GuyIncognito

And that's why Shalala's statement is so ridiculous. The sanctions affect recruiting. If this was a team that was struggling from a lack of talent then maybe I'm sympathetic to the sanctions argument, but sanctions don't make you call stupid plays or mismanage the clock, and they damn sure don't make you mentally check out with 3 games left in the season.

The last two weeks, this team has been completely disinterested in playing football. And I can't fathom that the bowl game is going to be any different. That goes squarely on the staff and has dick to do with the NCAA.

Lightningwar

Administrator
Golden is a good recruiter too. This is a great recruiting staff. So you're right that recruiting isn't a huge weakness, and there is a ton of talent on the roster, but it's still important that the next guy be able to keep it up in South Florida. Great recruiting isn't an automatic at Miami even if it is a relatively easy task.

The last 3 class rankings for Miami. Recruiting is imo doing well. But the staff is not developing that talent. A team with that kind of talent shouldn't be finishing 6-6 in the coastal division.

GuyIncognito

I don't even know that it's a development problem. Apparently the NFL returned draft grades on 10 upperclassmen. That's a lot of NFL-caliber players.

I think it's mostly just utilization. We don't put the talent in the right places to succeed. That we can't manufacture 20 plays a game where Dorsett/Coley/Duke/Yearby get the ball in space is just flat out a reflection on the schemes. That our defense is taught to play back and catch everything is on the scheme.

I'll guarantee you there are a handful of guys on this roster that are going to have very productive NFL careers and Miami fans are going to be saying "where the fuck was that when he was here?"

Call it the Sam Shields phenomenon.

fsuprime

Tired of fantasy coach search talk.

What's the 411 on cops going to miami locker room after game to break up a fight lol

mcnoles

I don't even know that it's a development problem. Apparently the NFL returned draft grades on 10 upperclassmen. That's a lot of NFL-caliber players.

I think it's mostly just utilization. We don't put the talent in the right places to succeed. That we can't manufacture 20 plays a game where Dorsett/Coley/Duke/Yearby get the ball in space is just flat out a reflection on the schemes. That our defense is taught to play back and catch everything is on the scheme.

I'll guarantee you there are a handful of guys on this roster that are going to have very productive NFL careers and Miami fans are going to be saying "where the fuck was that when he was here?"

Call it the Sam Shields phenomenon.
Don't know what happens to Stacy Coley this season. He had a pretty good freshman season from what I saw.

2013: 33 rec 591 yds 7 td
2014: 19 rec 153 yds 0 td

GuyIncognito

Don't know what happens to Stacy Coley this season. He had a pretty good freshman season from what I saw.

2013: 33 rec 591 yds 7 td
2014: 19 rec 153 yds 0 td

We never threw him the ball haha, that's what happened. In fairness, I think true freshman QBs tend to favor security blankets like Clive Walford (who had a great season), but there was just no concerted effort to make Coley an integral part of the offense.

And speaking of Coley, we need a ST coach too, because our return game was atrocious this year, as was our coverage.

Keith1212

Tired of fantasy coach search talk.

What's the 411 on cops going to miami locker room after game to break up a fight lol

The rumor there is that the few players that support Golden confronted some of the few that are malcontents. They brawled. Recruits weren't let into the locker room. A few players outside of the melee in the locker room told one or all the recruits to not come here.

We'll never find out the actual truth. I've been huffing and puffing about the dumpster fire status of the program for years now. Now local Miami media is picking up on it. Nothing will come of it unless national media picks it up but they won't.

For me personally I've stopped caring. This mediocre football that the school keeps pushing out via their crap decisions and lack of investment is not worth my time. Especially when a larger segment of the fan base is oblivious to it.

I root for Miami basketball and watch them when I can. Football for the most part is dead to me until the decision-makers at the school start caring.

Once Larranaga is gone basketball dies too because Miami's AD won't luck into another hire like that. If given the chance they'll hire bad coaches because they don't want to pay.

I'm over it.

Lightningwar

Administrator
This scuffle happen after last weeks dismal performance vs Pitt? I'd be more worried current players are telling recruits to not come here. That will kill a program real fast.

fsuprime

Ty for reply keith.

As I usually say I truly believe if you guys get the right ppl in place first move is UCF style stadium near/on campus and I low their r huge road blocks to this.

Many noles want miami back. I don't, but am always curious about the state of the program

GuyIncognito

The only chance of a new stadium in the foreseeable future is the one Beckham wants to build for a new MLS team. Even there I think we're stuck at Sun Life until 2025 or some crap.

But I won't say that's the biggest issue, as much of an embarrassment as it is. The FSU game showed that can still be a raucous atmosphere under the right conditions. And we wouldn't be selling out the OB to watch a 6-6 team mail it in against Pitt or UVA either, so...

The biggest issue is hiring the right coaches and coordinators. If you know your shit this isn't that tough a job. It's a great school, a great location, a recruiting mecca. Just win games!

That's simultaneously the most frustrating and most optimistic part. Notwithstanding Keith's doom and gloom about everything these days, a few correct decisions could turn things around real fast.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Sorry to make you stupider if you don't frequent Canes message boards, but the popular idea that supporting basketball hurts football because Miami should be a football-first school hurts my head so much. I don't frequent Canes boards much at all but I might be done.

GuyIncognito

lol, I hadn't heard the argument that success in basketball is bad for football. That's a good one.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
lol, I hadn't heard the argument that success in basketball is bad for football. That's a good one.

It was at first. Then I realized that the group-think actually has a majority/near-majority of posters at major sites convinced that it's true and I

tZOS8.gif

GuyIncognito

Not sure if anyone cares haha, but Donna Shalala's mother Edna died yesterday at 103. She was a fixture around campus, and I sat next to her for a semester in Arabic class when she was a spritely 95.

She led an amazing life:

Edna C. Shalala Passes Away
Centenarian was an accomplished lawyer, tennis champion, and mother of UM President Donna E. Shalala.

UM News

CORAL GABLES, Fla. (December 02, 2014) — During more than a century of living, Edna Shalala witnessed a multitude of milestones achieved by women—from the ratification of the 19th Amendment in 1920, which gave women the right to vote, to Sally Ride’s historic flight aboard the Space Shuttle Challenger in 1983, making her the first American woman in space.

Diminutive in size but a giant in her accomplishments, Shalala also made history of her own, becoming the first female attorney of Syrian-Lebanese descent to practice law in Cleveland, Ohio.

The mother of University of Miami President and former Clinton cabinet member Donna E. Shalala, Edna Shalala passed away on Tuesday, December 2. She was 103.

“A true icon” is how Stuart A. Miller, chair of the UM Board of Trustees, described Edna Shalala, saying that the entire University community is saddened by her passing. “She led a tremendous life and was supportive of so many elements of our community. Her vibrancy at age 103 was an inspiration to all who knew her.”

Marriage and family life
Edna C. Shalala was born Edna Smith on October 13, 1911. She married James Abraham Shalala in 1939, and two years later, the couple had twin daughters: Donna and Diane. James was a prominent leader for Cleveland’s Lebanese-Americans, urging them to become politically active and send their children to college.

The couple encouraged their daughters to maintain ties with Lebanese relatives who lived in the neighborhood.

Distinguished law career
Edna Shalala was an Ohio State Buckeye, Class of 1933. She was one of the first Arab-American graduates of the university. She majored in physical education and held down four jobs to make it through school: tennis instructor, restaurant worker, cloakroom attendant, and nanny.

She was a teacher for many years. When she was 38, she went to law school while teaching and raising her daughters.

When Shalala passed the bar exam in 1952, she retired from teaching and, with a fellow female law student, started her own law firm. The two ran a successful probate practice for many years, one that Shalala continued on her own after her partner died in 1968.

She was the first female attorney of Syrian-Lebanese descent to practice law in Cleveland, filing petitions, writing briefs, and representing clients in court for 50 years. She retired in 2002.

“Ahead of her time and an inspiration to all of us” is how Edna Shalala’s daughter, Diane Shalala Fritel, described her. “When she passed the bar, she said she wanted to practice law for 50 years—and she did. She was amazing.”

Often seen at the White House
During her daughter’s tenure as secretary of health and human services in the Clinton administration, Edna Shalala visited the White House on several occasions, once describing her visits as “exciting” in a February 2008 Miami Herald article.

“It was very impressive to see everybody walking in behind the president and getting to go in line and meet the president,” Edna Shalala said.

When Donna Shalala became president of the University of Miami, Mother Shalala, as she was affectionately known by the UM community, spent much of her time in Coral Gables, living with her daughter at the presidential residence on Old Cutler Road, attending UM functions, playing golf, and taking part in many of the institution’s activities, including those at the Herbert Wellness Center and Osher Lifelong Learning Institute.

“I do everything a young person does—classes, lectures, water exercises, yoga,” Shalala said in The Miami Herald article.

She was a familiar figure at many UM events, attending talks and lectures by prominent visitors such as the Dalai Lama and Bill Clinton, her daughter’s former boss.

As part of a special birthday celebration in 2005, she received a portrait of herself painted by famous neo-pop artist Romero Britto; the occasion also served as a benefit for UM women’s and men’s tennis, raising $300,000 for the teams.

An accomplished tennis player
Edna Shalala was a nationally ranked tennis player in the 1930s and ’40s, winning women’s state tennis titles in Ohio, Michigan, and Wisconsin. In 1938, she played on Forest Hills’ center court against the top-ranked female tennis player in the nation, Alice Marble.

She remained active in the sport even well into her 80s, playing three or four days a week and competing in several tournaments. In 1980, Shalala was inducted into the Cleveland Sports Hall of Fame. She competed on the senior circuit until suffering a stroke in 1996.

Impactful legacy
Edna Shalala’s legacy will impact many, especially female student-athletes at the University of Miami. The Edna C. Shalala Fund for Women’s Athletics, created to honor her on the occasion of her 100th birthday, helps fund women’s athletics and supports the continued success of women’s athletic teams at UM.

The inaugural Edna C. Shalala 5K Run/Walk, to be held on UM’s Coral Gables campus December 13, will benefit that fund.

She is survived by her sister, Louise McGann (Cleveland, Ohio); daughters Donna E. Shalala and Diane (Robert) Fritel (Wolford, North Dakota); grandchildren and great-grandchildren: Anastasia (Corey) Martin, Claire, Cecelia, and Lydia (Buffalo, Minnesota); Katrina (Thomas) Bueckers, Ariana, Jett, Caiden, and Annika (Cedar Rapids, Iowa); Sara (Douglas) Johnson, RJ and Julia (McLean, Virginia); and James (Kelly) Fritel, Andrew, Matthew, and Grace (Spring Green, Wisconsin); and many nieces and nephews.

She was predeceased in death by her husband, James Shalala in 1959, her parents, brothers Fred and George, and sisters Nellie Melito, Florence O’Boyle, Mary Batal, and Pauline Long.

In lieu of flowers, please donate to the Edna C. Shalala Fund by clicking here, or sending a check made out to the “University of Miami” to the following address: University of Miami Athletics, Hecht Athletic Center, Attention: Jenn Strawley,
 5821 San Amaro Drive, Coral Gables, FL 33146.

A private service for family members will be held in Cleveland.

Lightningwar

Administrator
I was thinking about the U and their fall. It seems like every dynasty has a game that signaled the end. FSU's dynasty ended when they were destroyed by UNC 41-9 in 2001. That game made Noles fans sit back and go wow we are not the same team as we were before. The rest was history for the better part of a decade. Miami I remember watching that LSU bowl game where they were dominated from beginning to end. And then lost the after game fight. Hasn't been the same since.

But the interesting question is when will the parts fall back into place for Miami? That is the fun part imo. It will be apparent and quick imo.

GuyIncognito

That might be the game for a lot of people, but IMO it was that entire season. Bryan Pata was murdered. Willie Cooper and Brandon Meriweather were almost murdered. Sean Taylor would be murdered a few months later. Coker lost the team, the team hit as rock bottom as a team can ever hit, and Coker's shoddy recruiting started revealing itself.

That 06-07 time period was a very dark one for the program.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
I was thinking about the U and their fall. It seems like every dynasty has a game that signaled the end. FSU's dynasty ended when they were destroyed by UNC 41-9 in 2001. That game made Noles fans sit back and go wow we are not the same team as we were before. The rest was history for the better part of a decade. Miami I remember watching that LSU bowl game where they were dominated from beginning to end. And then lost the after game fight. Hasn't been the same since.

I remember in the mid 90s when FSU lost to Virginia, their first ACC loss. We were talking about it in school the next day.

FSU.....lost? Wat. That can't be right. How did they lose? It seemed impossible that FSU could lose an ACC game before then.

Keith1212

But the interesting question is when will the parts fall back into place for Miami? That is the fun part imo. It will be apparent and quick imo.

Miami isn't coming back until changes happen at the upper levels of the board of trustees (BOT) and/or the guaranteed conference TV money goes away. Both have almost no chance of happening which is why I'm always so upbeat regarding Canes football.

GuyIncognito

I liked it. Corben really gets Miami. The city and the program.

It wasn't as entertaining as the first one, but that's probably because I'm much more familiar with this story haha. What stuck out to me as much last night as it did at the time is that Randy Shannon was the only fucker at that university that did everything the right way and he got strung up for it.

Lightningwar

Administrator
Watched it last night. Really good episode. Really made the NCAA look like the bad guys. And I didnt realize they would bring up that LSU game. Loved the Soldier, hated beating us in the Orange Bowl in 2000 and then whipping our asses a year later to end the home win streak. Such a shame what they did to the Orange Bowl. But it tied in nicely with the corruption within the system. The show is right. The workers(football players) will get in trouble for taking money, a booster may get in trouble, an assistant coach thrown under the bus. But the power structure at the top always gets away clean while reaping the biggest benefits. Shapiro is a half pint turdlord. But who walked away with the golden parachute after taking his money? Shalala!