1. We have updated to a new version of XenForo. If you were using the "Kella" custom style, you need to switch to the Utopia or Alternate style. Do this in your user preferences.
    Dismiss Notice

A Vote for America -- The Buffalo Murricans Story

Discussion in 'OOTP Discussion (Out of the Park Baseball)' started by Yankee151, Jun 25, 2017.

?

Favorite Buffalo Player of All time (of All time?

1. PEDER

7.1%
  2. Bailey Gilleland

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Linus Enquist

14.3%
  4. Ibrahim bin Jihad

7.1%
  5. Petya Widneev

7.1%
  6. Esteban Paz

7.1%
  7. Antonio de Los Santos

7.1%
  8. Oscar Fontenot

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Jung-Sik Kim

7.1%
  10. All these guys suck

42.9%
  1. Yankee151

Yankee151 TWINK Stadium

Team:
    Yankees
    More information about the Buffalo story to come, but please enjoy our trip back through time to the 117th Winter Meetings with the help of Dublin GM Mr. Radpants!

Lloyd Carr and TonyGin&Juice like this.
  2. Lloyd Carr

Lloyd Carr Well-Known Member

RIP Peder

Yankee151 and bruin228 like this.
  3. Wolfman21

Wolfman21 Well-Known Member

the funny story about that peder situation is that i voted for him in two seasons and he still never made it in

:laughing:

Lloyd Carr likes this.
  4. Yankee151

Yankee151 TWINK Stadium

Team:
    Yankees
    It normally doesn't rain in Buffalo. But then again, this wasn't a normal day.
    11/20/2065

GAL-NET RECORDING 906758939 -- USER "YANKEE CANE" LOCATION "BUFFALO, NEW YORK"

[​IMG]
    By: Andreas Rocha

I hadn't drank in years. Then my boss comes back from his 'spiritual journey' and fires me before he enters the stratosphere. Then the memories came back. I felt a gigantic wave of inadequacy crushing over me. Sarah leaving me and taking the kids to the colony in Tranquility. Heh. "You'll never make it as a GM!" she yelled. It was a Camus. The book she threw that just barely whizzed past me. My daughters never forgave me for staying on Earth. Who knew the lunar colony would turn out so successful? I thought she was condemning them to death, and now I've got one daughter on Europa and another on Titan. I tried to call today but no answer, again.

I thought baseball could fill a hole in my heart. Turns out, it just made me realize how big that hole was. The triumph of finally reaching the peak of the sport was hollow. Perhaps that's what led to Istanbul's latest troubles. A subconcious recognition that I was too vile, that I didn't deserve it. The pressure kept coming for Compy. Ngoc was supposed to be the next ToGo. Braves the next Sabertooth. And hey, maybe they will be. But yesterday I was stripped of the chance to find out.

And so, I did what any jobless, down on his luck glory chaser would do. I headed to the metropolis of Buffalo. How my Grandfather would wallow in his grave knowing the city took over New York City. At first, I headed to the entertainment district. These Buffalonians knew how to brew. Then I decided to phone a friend.

GAL-NET RECORDING 906758997 -- USER "YANKEE CANE" USER "LLOYD CARR" DURATION: 8 MINUTES 40 SECONDS

YC: "Hey Carr, you hang around the big city during the offseason still?"

LC: "Do I ever!" LC coughs a bit "I'm up in the penthouse right now. Amazing view of Scorpio from this high. Why, you in town? Don't tell me the rumors are true."

YC: ...

LC: "I'll have none of that! Come on up! You know how the metro works here, right? Take the light train as high as you can go. I'll meet you in the sky lobby. Hows about an hour's time?"

YC: "Alright Carr. I suppose I've got nothing better to do."

LC: "Course you don't! There's nothing better than Buffalo at night!"

YC: "Is that so? In any event, I'll see you."

USER "YANKEE CANE" DISCONNECTED

Carr was a big talker, but he was probably right. It was doing me no good to mope around the entertainment district. So I rode the light train up to the lobby of his building. I swear, this city's architecture is just egotistical. Buildings shouldn't go this high, and yet they do. This used to be an afterthought on a map, known more for a place to stop before heading to Niagara.

I found Carr in the sky-lobby, some 180 floors up. Above here were all penthouses, for the high rollers of the American Northeast. I thought the entire place gaudy and a bit suspect, but I figured I maybe just spent too much time in Istanbul which grew outwards, not upwards. Carr was sitting in a lounge chair, talking to a droid woman who was fawning all over him. "I was the mastermind behind Buffalo y'know." He slurred so much, the droid almost malfunctioned and asked him to repeat his statement.

"And look where he is now." I said non chalantly as I approached. "I thought you swore off of droid women, Carr." I said as I sat down.

Carr chuckled. "Sure, but they can't swear off me! This is a brilliant new age in Buffalo, Cane, and don't you forget it. You're telling me you don't find the lovely missus here gorgeous?"

"Call me old fashioned." I shrugged, waving over the waiter-bot to bring me a White Russian. "Now come on, don't tell me you brought me up here to hit on droids with you, Carr."

Acting appalled, Carr grabbed a hold of his droid mistress and comforted her. "Don't you worry. Ol' Cane here is still mad about that '48 series he lost."

The robots still hadn't mastered emotion, so Carr's little jab didn't phase the droid woman one bit. Course, it still stung me a bit. I tried to hide my hurt by changing the subject. "What do you want, Carr?"

"Relax, Cane. I'm helping a friend in need. If you want real women, I'll call up Ana and see if she's got any friends. We can have a nice candlelight dinner and talk about how rich and dignified we all are."

The droid, upon hearing this, slapped Carr and walked away. Maybe they had mastered emotion. I couldn't help but laugh.

"It's always about women with you, huh Carr? Aren't you getting a little old for philandering and candlelit dinners?"

"Like I said Cane, this is a new future. 65 is the new 35! Now then, what I really wanted to talk about..." Carr said, grabbing a wine bottle off a nearby server-bot and pouring himself a glass.

I shook my head and sighed, but I had nothing to lose by hearing him out.

GAL-NET RECORDING 906758939 ENDED

TO BE CONTINUED

5. bruin228

bruin228 Madden Mobile Addict NCAA Moderator

Team:
    LEACH
    Whichever one was signed to a ludicrously expensive deal

Oh, wait

6. doh

doh THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi

Team:
    Las Vegas Pac Men
    My favorite would've been Linus but he is no longer the hit king.

Why? Because Carrier was auto-signed by Buffalo when Lloyd was in charge to pass Linus.

7. Orlando

Orlando Well-Known Member Utopia Moderator

The fuck is GAL-NET

Mr. Radpants likes this.
  8. Yankee151

Yankee151 TWINK Stadium

Team:
    Yankees
    Sci-Fi Twitter

Mr. Radpants likes this.
  9. Mr. Radpants

Mr. Radpants Friendship Drive Charging

Team:
    Dublin
    Best thing to happen to the WBL since we closed the UBL

Wendell Gee and Yankee151 like this.
  10. Wendell Gee

Wendell Gee dawg_gone parrothead

Team:
    Mules
    dem droid women doe

11. Yankee151

Yankee151 TWINK Stadium

Team:
    Yankees
    They called Boston a Wasteland. Naturally, that's where we were headed next.
    11/01/2066

GAL-NET RECORDING 940598762 -- USER: "YANKEE CANE" LOCATION: "WORCESTER METROPOLITAN AREA, MA"

In truth, Boston wasn't even Boston anymore. Like it's eternal rival New York, it found itself eventually swamped by a burgeoning metro area. The football Patriots, led by an uploaded consciousness of Bill Bellicheck, enjoyed decades of prosperity, until a cybernetic organ scandal led to their expulsion from the rapidly failing NFL. They would later move to nearby Worcester, unable to pay the rent in Boston, beginning a slow exodus out of Boston and into Worcester.

Of course, Worcester never became like Buffalo. Buffalo was in a prime position to dominate the Northeast US while still retaining old fans from NYC. Boston and it's sister city were becoming an afterthought. When Halifax got a WBL team of their own, Worcester-Boston shrugged and gave up hope. "If they don't want good old' fashioned Basten Basebawl, we don't want em!" they cried. And thus, Baseball was gone, and an entire state considered a Dead Zone for new technologies brought by the expansion of the WBL.

Or so we thought. As the story goes, there was a underground little league system. They wanted to cultivate the next Nomar Garciaparra. They even tried re-animating Ted Williams, but they were a bit early. But they did manage to teach some kids the game. In 2059, the league was discovered, and the offenders kicked out of the city. Where did they go? A perhaps even more obscure place. Delaware.

A young infielder by the name of Pepe Castro refined his game on the streets of Wilmington, getting a full ride to the nearby university. The people of Worcester-Boston watched as their prodigal son led the Blue Hens to 2nd place finishes in their division in 2 separate seasons. And thus, they decided to reinstate little league baseball. When Castro graduated, we knew we had to make him our pick. We never expected, however, the personality that comes from being the savior of a metropolis.

GAL-NET RECORDING 940598762 ENDED

TO BE CONTINUED

Lloyd Carr likes this.
  12. Wooly

Wooly Well-Known Member

Team:
    Halifax
    Please let Buffalo move to Boston and become my northeastern rival.

13. Mr. Radpants

Mr. Radpants Friendship Drive Charging

Team:
    Dublin
    It's completely unrealistic that the largest city the solar system has ever seen would be without a baseball team.

IMMERSION DECREASING

14. Orlando

Orlando Well-Known Member Utopia Moderator

Boston had their team.

15. Yankee151

Yankee151 TWINK Stadium

Team:
    Yankees
    Boston was one of the 3 B's with Bangkok and Buffalo right? I'll add that in to the next chapter of this story

16. Yankee151

Yankee151 TWINK Stadium

Team:
    Yankees
    We are already Northeastern rivals, this story is just further establishing it

17. Yankee151

Yankee151 TWINK Stadium

Team:
    Yankees
    It will culminate in me cracking the whip on Orlando for Boston Blue Barnacle Throwback Day at the stadium

18. Yankee151

Yankee151 TWINK Stadium

Team:
    Yankees
    "I'm the King of Worcester." "Oh yeah? Well I'm the King of Buffalo."
    11/05/2066

GAL-NET RECORDING 951224239 -- USER: "YANKEE CANE" LOCATION: WORCESTER METROPOLITAN AREA, MA

For the first time in almost 30 years, a Buffalo GM entered the city of Boston, er, Worcester, on official business. The Blue Barnacles were a short lived franchise; just two years in a transition between Bangkok and Buffalo while the stadium was being built. The team ran a loss of 44 Million dollars in their 2nd and final year, and left never to be seen again. The Bostonians were sad, but they chalked it up to just another loss among many. First the Sox, then the Patriots, and now the Blue Barnacles were becoming the Murricans and moving to hated Buffalo. Who could hate Buffalo?

Anyways, that was the picture I held in my hand. A 10 year old Pepe Castro, playing in the Worcester underground league. The Blue Barnacles against the Red Sox, the only two uniforms still circulating in the city's black markets. Whose uniform was Castro wearing? None other than our head scout, Bailey Gilleland's. Of course, even Thrillseeker will tell you his time in Boston wasn't swell. He was worth 0.1 WAR in his two seasons in Massachusetts, and the move to Buffalo sent his career on a much different path.

Still, it was a nice sign. Perhaps Castro was the second coming of a still alive Bailey Gilleland. Perhaps Boston-Worcester was finally ready to pick a side in the recent heated debate between Halifax, who were stinky Canadians cursed to never win a world series, and Buffalo, who left Boston and wallowed in mediocrity for the past twenty years. On second thought, maybe they're better off with neither team. Nevertheless, Lloyd and I made our way to Castro's coastside mansion in Boston, ready to strike a deal with him.

GAL-NET RECORDING 951224295 -- USER: "YANKEE CANE" USER: "LLOYD CARR" USER: "PEPE CASTRO"

LC: "I hope we get this done quick. I want to try the local sauce with these wings I brought."

YC: "So that's what I was smelling the entire light-train ride. Don't you think if Worcester Sauce was good enough, they'd sell it in our paradise of a city?"

LC: "Yank, my friend. Your palate is unrefined, as is your taste in women. It's not all about the big city cuisine. Some true gems can be found out in the wilderness here."

YC: "This wasn't a wilderness twenty years ago. It still isn't. That's why they actually produced a baseball player worth visiting."

LC: "Of course, of course. I'm thrilled to bring along our new Northeastern super-star."

YC: "Just put those wings away, we don't want to insult him."

LC: "We should've brought some of my droid women along, that would've really impressed him."

YC SIGHS

5 MINUTES LATER

LC: "Wow, some house. Almost up to par with the slums in Buffalo."

YC: "You just can't pass up an opportunity to talk up our city, huh?"

LC: "If I won't, who will? I'm just warming up here, Cane."

YC RINGS DOORBELL

USER "PEPE CASTRO" COMES INTO VIEW

PC: "Well, if it isn't the President and GM of our friendly local Buffalo Murricans."

YC: "Pepe, it's an absolut-"

PC: "Yes, a real honor. I was surprised you two chose to draft me, given the history of our two cities. You know I had to play baseball in an underground facility for the first 14 years of my life?"

YC: "Er, well, yes, I..."

LC: "You must forgive my partner here, Pepe. He's still new to the American Northeast."

PC: "Aren't you the one who moved the team, Mr. Carr?"

LC: "Well, heheh, that of course was the owner..."

PC: "Look guys. I love the Buffalo history, I really do. I was two when you won your title against the guy standing next to you, but I remember the other playoff runs. But, I have a duty to the people of this city. I'm the King of Worcester to them."

LC: "Yeah? Well, I'm the King of Buffalo! And I need knights like you to conquer the other Kingdoms!"

YC: "Lloyd! This isn't a Fantasy VR Sim!"

PC: "What do you know of Kingdoms, Mr. Cane? Likely nothing, given you used to run a team named after a Sultanate!"

YC SIGHS

LC: "Look, King Pepe. Your people have been down and out, and that may or may not be my fault, but it isn't my fault, and if you sign with us, you can bring pride to your city again. You and Jose are the same age! You guys can run the middle of the field like Luong and Gilleland did for years to come! You can even bring pride to Delaware, wherever that is!"

PC: "I'd like to buy it, I really would. But why don't I just play indy ball for a year? I could catch the first flight to Dublin in the next draft."

YC: "Er, forgive me, your liege? I have something you might want to see."

YC HANDS PC AN E-PHOTO OF A YOUNG BOY WEARING A BOSTON BLUE BARNACLES GILLELAND JERSEY

PC: "Heh, this brings back the memories. Where'd you get this?"

YC: "The Thrillseeker himself dug it up. Said he'd like to see you in this again. Or, in a Buffalo version of it, or something."

PC: "It's getting late. You fellas want to head downtown and discuss this further?"

LC: "I thought you'd never ask! Say, what are your women like here?"

PC: "Let's put it this way; they're better in Delaware."

YC: "Sound just like Carr's type!"

YANKEE CANE, LLOYD CARR, PEPE CASTRO EXIT

GAL-NET RECORDING 951224295 ENDED

GAL-NET RECORDING 951224239 ENDED

Lloyd Carr likes this.
  19. OU11

OU11 Pleighboi Utopia Moderator

Team:
    Niners
    Why not when the logo was so dope

[​IMG]

Lloyd Carr, Orlando and Yankee151 like this.
  20. Yankee151

Yankee151 TWINK Stadium

Team:
    Yankees
    We will also be debuting our Bangkok Crushers throwbacks whenever we travel to Kabul

Lloyd Carr likes this.