• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2020 MLB Thread

CJ_24

Brewers Contracted too

Dominic-West-What-the-fuck-did-I-do.gif

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Two pictures of what is rumored to be the setup, from the Astros' WS documentary

s61ywmunrbz31.jpg

elojysmwabz31.jpg

Close up of the trashcan

Wolfman21

"More details concerning the Houston Astros’ sign stealing scandal continue to unfold. ESPN’s Jeff Passan reports that Kevin Goldstein who is a special assistant to GM Jeff Luhnow and a former writer at Baseball Prospectus, emailed scouts and asked them to spy on opponents’ dugouts in advance of the 2017 postseason."

Lol...everyones doin it though guys...look away, look away

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
"More details concerning the Houston Astros’ sign stealing scandal continue to unfold. ESPN’s Jeff Passan reports that Kevin Goldstein who is a special assistant to GM Jeff Luhnow and a former writer at Baseball Prospectus, emailed scouts and asked them to spy on opponents’ dugouts in advance of the 2017 postseason."

Lol...everyones doin it though guys...look away, look away

Please show me where I said it was OK because everyone's doing it. I indicated that others also cheat, but I never said that made it OK.

Interesting photos. Would banging that can really be loud enough to make it up the stairs and out to the batter's box?

Over the weekend I thought, it all depends on if they can prove they actually had cameras in the outfield. Nothing I'd heard indicated they could do that. Without that proof, I didn't think the MLB could do anything. But those photos, if that truly was the setup, make it so you could just watch TV and see the signals. You wouldn't even need special cameras. So if they can prove that's the setup, there you go.

The more that comes out, if all true, show the Astros have a culture problem that needs to be blown up. Too bad, too, because they have a great team. Why do great teams feel the need to cheat? It reminds me of those LeBron gifs where he pretends he got elbowed. If you're the GOAT, why are you trying so hard to cheat like that? You'd never see Magic or Bird do that. Jordan did push on his last shot against the Jazz, doe :trollface:

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
This reminds me a bit of when Salt Lake won the 2002 Winter Olympics but got caught bribing the Olympic voters. Everyone was doing it. The Salt Lake people were better than everyone else at it and won the 2002 Games. Then they got caught and were treated like the only ones doing it.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
I guess to me, the Astros aren’t better at it if they’re the ones getting caught.

Again, where in what you quoted of me did I say it was OK? Yes, I said that everyone was doing it. But never once did I condone it or say that made it OK.

I also said that the Astros were dumb to do something so obvious that could be traced if they got caught. I never said they were better at it. I said the Salt Lake Olympic Committee was better at bribing. That's all I said.

I feel like I'm talking to m'wife here. Y'all are having better conversations with me with things I never said than actually focusing on what I actually said.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
Classic response of someone who can't prove I ever said or thought what they claim but wants me to still appear to be stupid. Next time I state facts, I'll add "the contents of this comment do not reflect my actual opinions; I'm just sayin'." I respect you, Mr. Radpants. Sincerely. But I never said the cheating was OK, even though I did say that others do it as well. If they had cameras and it can be proven, they should have everything taken away from them. It would be sad, but it is the right thing to do.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
That was me bowing out of an Internet debate, there’s no point debating nuance and intent. You posted a crosss-sport anecdote without much qualifying context, parts of the story were taken a certain way, and now you’re clarifying your position. So, ok.

I agree that what the Astros did isn’t okay.

Wolfman21

5/118 for a #3/#4 starter??? gah damn...Phillies are the new yankees....just throw money at enough guys until something works...just not well enough to win a title.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
I’m just reporting the facts here. I fully expect his elbow to turn into shredded wheat and his durability rating drop to: WRECKED

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
I wasnt mocking you...i was mocking the Phillies. I guess the gif didnt portray exactly what i wanted it to

No worries, @Wolfman21

This signing just further exposes the problems the Phillies in developing their own talent especially pitching talent.

Top 10 Phillies homegrown pitchers over the past 40 seasons by career WAR:

1. Cole Hamels - 42.4
2. Aaron Nola - 19.2
3. Kevin Gross - 13.5
4. Randy Wolf - 11.9
5. Brett Myers - 9.8
6. Ryan Madson - 8.9
7. Don Carman - 8.0
8. Kyle Kendrick - 5.9
9. Hector Neris - 5.5
10. Ricky Bottalico - 5.2

When you consider that this factors in 40 years of drafts, 40 years of scouting, both stateside and internationally, it’s even more appalling. In the MLB amateur draft alone, I estimate the franchise has drafted more than 1,000 pitchers over that span. Think about that. Even by blind luck, a team should be able to do better than the Phillies have.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/phillies/phillies-lack-of-homegrown-pitching-appalling

Wolfman21

So the Mets are now coached by Carlos Beltran, one of the originators of the trashcan bangarang, and just traded for jake marisnick....a fellow cheating Astro. Watch out NL East...no trash can is safe!