• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2018 Motor Racing thread

Bdub

Fuck yeah. Can't believe Juan held the lead for 3 laps at the end. Good race.
Awesome ending. I thought Power might actually win, but his bad luck holds for another year. I think Indy might be the only race Power hasn't ever won.

Iron

Alan Gufaston with his signature "I have no idea what I'm doing" call. Pitted to make it without pitting under yellow, and then pits under green while everyone else is going to make it and would be at least get a third, if not win. Edwards wins on fuel mileage pitting on the same lap.

Iron

Fun thing is that he was catching Edwards/Biffle...and then they just kinda pitted for whatever reason.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
Sounds like Hamilton in Monaco yesterday. They pit him with a 19 second lead, then Rosberg and Vettel stay out...and since it's impossible to pass, Hamilton gets relegated to 3rd after dominating the majority of the race. F1 cars can't even refuel, so the ONLY reason to pit is for tires. Pitting for no reason. Makes sense.

gilstein21

they thought the VSC was still out and he had a big enough gap. Turns out the VSC wasn't out and the other two were able to go fast enough to pass him while in pits. Still no reason for him to pit there. They were on equal tires and with the lead you aren't getting passed.

Bdub

The stupidest move I have seen a team make in a long time. Bet his engineer is looking for a new job.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
they thought the VSC was still out and he had a big enough gap. Turns out the VSC wasn't out and the other two were able to go fast enough to pass him while in pits. Still no reason for him to pit there. They were on equal tires and with the lead you aren't getting passed.
Even with worse tires, you're not getting passed. Hamilton on super soft tires couldn't get past Vettel in an inferior car on old tires. All things being equal, Hamilton was prolly 4-5 seconds per lap faster there. Whoever made that call should have been unemployed on Monday morning.

Wolfman21

Isn't that just part of the racing in NASCAR?

No. Not anymore. Nascar used to be great because you could lean on each other and still get by fine. Now the slightest contact can end your day. Buescher wasn't slight contact either. It doesn't take much talent to just throw your car down in the corner with no chance of holding your line. He knew his car wouldn't hold but he had bubba to bounce off of, so who cares, right?

Wolfman21

Sure. Punting someone out of the way, your teammate no less, when you stand no chance of making the corner without punting him is not.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
If he wants to run someone over, that's fine, but he can't bitch when he gets it back in spades. If I were Wallace, I'd personally see to it that he didn't win that $100k for the Dash for Cash next time out. You don't have to seek someone out to exact retribution on them. At some point, you'll find yourselves running near each other, and...oops. Or maybe pull a Russ Wheeler and block him in his pit by stopping short the next time you're pitted together.

And if it were me, I would have went in the pits at Dover, gotten some tires, and done my best Cole Trickle impression. Except, you know, BEFORE the race ended.

Iron

He had a ton of bad luck and paired with crew chiefs way past their prime or who had never had any success. He was pretty solid when he was with Brian Pattie (32 top 10's in two full seasons), who then darted to MWR. Once he got with Heroy in 2013, he could have easily won 3 races, maybe four in 2013 - Dover, Richmond, Glen and Atlanta.

I've always wondered if there was no GWC at Richmond and then he was never passed by Stewart at Dover with like 3 to go, would he still be in NASCAR? He would have had two wins early in 2013...

Iron

On today's episode of what are you doing Alan..Jeff Gordon gets the lucky dog and becomes one of just 10 cars on the lead lap. So they pit with 10 to go or whatever. Back of the field, doesn't matter, can't pass anyone, too far back. Caution again. Gets to catch up to the field...stays out. Almirola, Bowyer etc. pit from 7th-9th...Gordon restarts 7th and by turn 2 is already back to 10th, where he was before he doesn't pit. Almirola and Bowyer get top 5's.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
He had a ton of bad luck and paired with crew chiefs way past their prime or who had never had any success. He was pretty solid when he was with Brian Pattie (32 top 10's in two full seasons), who then darted to MWR. Once he got with Heroy in 2013, he could have easily won 3 races, maybe four in 2013 - Dover, Richmond, Glen and Atlanta.

I've always wondered if there was no GWC at Richmond and then he was never passed by Stewart at Dover with like 3 to go, would he still be in NASCAR? He would have had two wins early in 2013...
This.

Plus, Ganassi sucks in Nascar.

Iron

Today on the Jeff Gordon-Alan Gufaston saga. Jeff stays out with others and takes the lead. Quick yellow in turn 2. Well at least they have fresh air now! NOPE! They pit and go back to 30th three laps later than the rest of the field pitted when they were in 9th or 10th. The fuck?

BTW Jeff and him have not been getting along on the radio today. Probably because of repeated amounts of stupidity.

Bdub

Kind of boring IndyCar race at Texas on Saturday and an embarrassing lack of fans at the track. Really wish they would give up the oval race and go to COTA, apparently the state of Texas will only allow 1 open wheel race at COTA a year to maintain the state funding and without state funding there is no way COTA would survive since it's Texas and no one gives a shit about road racing. Not sure why IndyCar even trys to race in Texas. If they can't do COTA they should go to Road American or Watkins Glen.

Bdub

IndyCar in Toronto was another good race. Rained all day, race was completed in under 2 hours.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
37 cars on the entry list for the Busch race in Chicago and 32 trucks on the entry list for Iowa both races this weekend. What are "full fields" for the two series now?

Borman

I think trucks run 33, but I don't know what the Busch series has going really.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

BIG EVIL

America's Finest
Xfinity is 40, trucks is 32. Seems even when entry lists are short at the beginning of the week a couple start and parkers enter their backups so they get a "full" field.

Iron

The trucks may get 32 but....the #57 truck at Gateway made 1 lap of practice (a 47 second lap compared to a 32.9), didn't have to qualify, and failed to complete a single lap on Saturday night and took home $9,511 for their efforts.