• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2018 Motor Racing thread

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
Maybe, but Blaney's a Truck series driver NOW. Chase is going to be Nationwide champion. Blaney's getting beat by Matt Crafton. I would still be slightly put off by Hendrick's lackadaisical attitude towards young drivers.

Age doesn't fly with me. If you can get the job done, so be it. Max Verstappen is likely to be the youngest F1 driver ever next season at Toro Rosso. He ran a practice session for them at a Grand Prix a few weeks ago at the age of 17. Kid was quick. You could say age has a factor as far as mental readiness goes, but so long as you don't throw the kid into a top ride his first year and expect him to produce, you should be fine. Logano is the poster child for that.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
I'm also curious as to what's going to happen if the Hendrick lineup stays the same for 2016. We all know 3 Hendrick drivers that will never leave the team. What if Kahne wins a few races next year (or God fobid, the championship)? He won't get booted for a rookie. JRM may have to go Cup racing.

Wolfman21

I honestly think 1 of 2 things is gonna happen. Gordon is gonna retire or Kahne is gonna be cut loose. However...if Gordon returns and Kahne does have a breakout type season...Rick is gonna have some decisions to make.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Rick should go with Chase. Elliott name alone makes him the better long term option than Kahne or Gordon.

Wolfman21

No way in 2 hells Gordon gets booted. I could see him cutting ties with Kahne for Chase even if Kahne has a solid season because Chase's potential far exceeds Kahne's. However Gordon has a free stay in the 24 as long as he wants it, as he should IMO.

goblue96

No way in 2 hells Gordon gets booted. I could see him cutting ties with Kahne for Chase even if Kahne has a solid season because Chase's potential far exceeds Kahne's. However Gordon has a free stay in the 24 as long as he wants it, as he should IMO.

BYE BYE KAHNE

Wolfman21

A 4 car team of Gordon, Earnhardt Jr., Johnson and Elliott would be insanity. Hendrick would have all of the fans.

Iron

Current points final four:
Jeff Gordon
Ryan Newman (0 wins)
Matt Kenseth (0 wins)
Joey Logano

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
I'm gonna lawl if Newman wins the title. Maybe Brian France's head will finally asplode.

You can't stop guys from points racing.

Point standings if no chase existed:

[xtable=cellpadding:3|cellspacing:0|90%x@]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td=center}1{/td}
{td} Jeff Gordon{/td}
{td=right}1159 {/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=center}2{/td}
{td} Joey Logano{/td}
{td=right}1117 {/td}
{td=right}-42 {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=center}3{/td}
{td} Dale Earnhardt, Jr.{/td}
{td=right}1070 {/td}
{td=right}-89 {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=center}4{/td}
{td} Brad Keselowski{/td}
{td=right}1056 {/td}
{td=right}-103 {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=center}5{/td}
{td} Kevin Harvick{/td}
{td=right}1033 {/td}
{td=right}-126 {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=center}6{/td}
{td} Matt Kenseth{/td}
{td=right}1032 {/td}
{td=right}-127 {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=center}7{/td}
{td} Ryan Newman{/td}
{td=right}1031 {/td}
{td=right}-128 {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=center}8{/td}
{td} Carl Edwards{/td}
{td=right}985 {/td}
{td=right}-174 {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=center}9{/td}
{td} Kyle Larson{/td}
{td=right}981 {/td}
{td=right}-178 {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=center}10{/td}
{td} Jimmie Johnson{/td}
{td=right}979 {/td}
{td=right}-180 {/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

Wolfman21

I'm gonna lawl if Newman wins the title. Maybe Brian France's head will finally asplode.

You can't stop guys from points racing.

Point standings if no chase existed:

1​
Jeff Gordon
1159​
2​
Joey Logano
1117 -42​
3​
Dale Earnhardt, Jr.
1070 -89​
4​
Brad Keselowski
1056 -103​
5​
Kevin Harvick
1033 -126​
6​
Matt Kenseth
1032 -127​
7​
Ryan Newman
1031 -128​
8​
Carl Edwards
985 -174​
9​
Kyle Larson
981 -178​
10​
Jimmie Johnson
979 -180​

Gordon would about have it wrapped up this way

Iron

Heh. David Ragan got Front Row Motorsports' first non-restrictor plate top 10 today.

Iron

Jimmie Johnson has never finished worse than 6th in points. At this point, he would be missing the banquet (12th). This is by far JJ's worst season in Cup despite three wins. He is also nearing his longest losing streak in Cup ever (only 21 races, currently at 18). Reminds me of Jeff Gordon's 2005 season, won a good amount of races but had tons of issues elsewhere and finished 11th in pts.

Allmendinger is up to 10th in points.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
I know Petty is getting Hornish, but I would have tried for Allmendinger.

Gordon looking at his 7th season scoring the most points.

Wolfman21

Chase Elliott took a car that couldn't stay in the Top 10 at the beginning of the race today and finishes 4th...top finishing NNS regular again. Extends his points lead to 48. All he has to do is finish ahead of Regan Smith in Phoenix next weekend and he will clinch the championship. Even if he doesn't...you've gotta think that 48 points in 2 races is practically impossible to overcome.

goblue96

Chase Elliott took a car that couldn't stay in the Top 10 at the beginning of the race today and finishes 4th...top finishing NNS regular again. Extends his points lead to 48. All he has to do is finish ahead of Regan Smith in Phoenix next weekend and he will clinch the championship. Even if he doesn't...you've gotta think that 48 points in 2 races is practically impossible to overcome.

@Wolfman21's 24/7 chub for Chase continues. You know after 4 hours that you're supposed to see a doctor for that condition. :laughing:

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
http://sport.bt.com/more-sport-hub/more-sport/bernie-regulations-have-tied-us-up-S11363940870278

Inteview with Bernie Ecclestone uring teams to bring costs under control.

Is this the same Bernie that charges astronomical amounts of money for tracks to host an F1 race? And the same one that makes all the TV deals? Bernie has made billions while the guys who actually run the teams can't make payroll or pay suppliers of parts and engines. Raikkonen was driving last year without pay from Lotus.

goblue96

Short version: Bernie Ecclstone is a thief.

"Modern" guys want their money. "The old guard" didn't mind getting fucked in the ass because costs were 1/100 what they are today and, as a result, they still made some money.

Wolfman21

So apparently in the 25 minutes it took me to drive to work...a whooooole lotta shit happened. Gonna need to see this

kingssc

Got some texts from some NASCAR friends, flipped over and saw both Keselowski and Gordon interviewed with bloody mouths

Wolfman21

lol, Keselowski has more than a few bloody spots on him. Gordon with a fat lip. Apparently Keselowski ran over Gordon on a re-start...cut his tire down. So Gordon came down pit road afterwards, started yelling at Keselowski and then grabbed him by the collar as the pit crews started fighting.

Keselowski has zero respect from his competitors right now.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Idk why he should in that situation, he finished third so it was a good move IMO

Wolfman21

Meh, i'd rather have the respect of my competitors, race hard without contact and finish 4th than to continue driving over people and get 0 respect and finish 3rd.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
There was an opening and he took it, maybe they should start racing bumper cars. Gordon can be mad, that's fine.

gilstein21

Harvick pushed brad back when he tried to walk away. Jeff bull rushed through crew guy and it was on. Some guy from kahnes team was throwing some good ones

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I understand most fans want to see a bunch of best friends going around the track saying "you first", "no I insist you first" but I think it's good to have guys whose respect only extends to not wanting to hurt other guys. I thought the contact was fairly limited honestly, expected more intention. A hole opened and then Jeff got mad and closed it and got the worse of it, it happens. Saying you wouldn't race for a win due to respect for others is something that should get you fired haha. If there is a hole you go and if it closes on you you take that risk. It worked for him

Wolfman21

Meh. Theres a reason every team at the track hates him and has 0 respect for him. Earnhardt raced people hard as shit and had more than a few "spats", but other drivers/teams respected him. There wasn't really a hole there. Gordon was just outside of Johnsons rr quarter panel. Instead of going to the white line like Johnson was, Keselowski went about half a lane higher and doored the shit outta Gordon.

Also, your first comment is silly and you know it. When was the last time you went to a NASCAR race?

Iron

Exactly what NASCAR wants. Pissed off drivers, nobody's clinched through to Homestead yet.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Just saw it again, yeah he opened up too much. I get that Gordon thinks he can do that since 99% of drivers do let guys get away with it so they'll like them after the race. Brad just isn't one of those guys. Brad was win or go home wasn't he? I'm always fascinated by everyone in here because it is largely the same thoughts as when I'm at the track.

I guess I just don't get why Brad, who is on a separate team, should let Gordon get away with a mistake just so Gordon will respect him. Who cares if Gordon respects him? Or anyone for that matter besides his owner and team.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Meh. Theres a reason every team at the track hates him and has 0 respect for him. Earnhardt raced people hard as shit and had more than a few "spats", but other drivers/teams respected him. There wasn't really a hole there. Gordon was just outside of Johnsons rr quarter panel. Instead of going to the white line like Johnson was, Keselowski went about half a lane higher and doored the shit outta Gordon.

Also, your first comment is silly and you know it. When was the last time you went to a NASCAR race?
Went to 7 races in a row at TMS. They all get mad if someone makes contact with the golden geese. There was a hole, he hit Jeff on the side because Jeff closed back down trying to wreck him and effed up. If there wasn't a hole he would have rear ended Jeff and he didn't.

Wolfman21

@OU11, you're making my point. Most drivers have integrity. Brad K doesn't. Which is fine...he doesn't have to have it. We'll see what happens at Phoenix

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
Harvick pushed brad back when he tried to walk away. Jeff bull rushed through crew guy and it was on. Some guy from kahnes team was throwing some good ones
There were guys from the 24, 4, 99, and 5 all swinging for Brad. Throw in the 20, 14, and 11, and he doesn't have many friends left.

When the whole damn garage wants 5 minutes alone with you, might be time to re-evaluate what you're doing. Because if Gordon doesn't make Homestead and Brad does, I know one Ford driver that won't be winning the title.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
Even Kyle Busch couldn't piss off this many people if he tried, and he's king of the douchebags. Not exactly someone I'd want to be compared to.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
@OU11, you're making my point. Most drivers have integrity. Brad K doesn't. Which is fine...he doesn't have to have it. We'll see what happens at Phoenix
I don't think integrity means letting a guy make a mistake and not trying to race him. That's where our disconnect is, I think anyone who doesn't try to make that move should have to talk to their owner and tell him why he isn't trying to win.

Wolfman21

@Hollywood...thats my point. if he had a spat with one driver, or two...you know...i can understand that. When the entire garage hates your guts and wants to deck your shit...you're doing something wrong. Hell, even Ricky Craven said it after the race today. he said in all his time in NASCAR, hes never seen a driver have less respect/more hate from his competitors than Brad K. Now you can say that fans, or I specifically, don't know what I'm talking about. But those 42 other drivers do. And they can't stand him. he can continue if he wants, but hes not gonna win another championship racing this way.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I agree that he's done some dumb stuff, I just don't think there was anything wrong with what he did tonight. I think the past is what made it get so bad after the race.

Plus he has a punchable face

goblue96

The Keslowski family has an "us against the world" mentality. The entire garage being against them isn't going to bother them one bit.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
@Wuf OU likes KyBusch too, so you're not gonna get him to see the light.
I like having him in the field, yeah. Just like Brad. I was only tom bout the move tonight, but you and Wolf think there was no hole so I can tell you'll stay in the dark too. Idk how disingenuous you have to be to watch the replay and say there wasn't space when he went for it.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
All you people just remember this shit when it comes down to the end and the 2 is in the wall intentionally. Gordon's done it before. He went headhunting for Bowyer at Phoenix 2 years ago. Certainly Kevin Harvick and Denny Hamlin have no qualms about taking someone out on purpose. Tony will do whatever the fuck Tony wants to do. Carl Edwards can say whatever, but he still hates Brad.

I wouldn't put my money on the 2 winning anything until next season.

He sealed his own fate, and will reap what he has sewn.