• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2015/16 NBA Season Thread

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
The max deal is why guys like Parsons can get $22m. If they got rid of the max, all the good but not all-star players would take massive pay cuts.

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
They should. No damn way chandler parsons is worth 22 mil a year.
That's a problem of the league right? Don't you have to set least reach some salary floor? The increase of revenue is just making it easier to give money away.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
The salary floor is a myth. If you don't reach the salary floor, the difference is just given out to existing team members.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
That's a problem of the league right? Don't you have to set least reach some salary floor? The increase of revenue is just making it easier to give money away.

Looking ahead to the 2016-17 season, the NBA now projects the salary cap will climb to $92 million, with a luxury tax threshold of $111 million. Individual teams will be obligated to pay out 90 percent of the cap, known as the salary floor, which would be $82.8 million of a $92 million cap.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-estimates-93-million-salary-shortfall/

CJ_24

The salary floor inflates the value of players that have no value. What about this idea, say that teams aren't allowed to charge more than x% of what the team salary is. The idea behind the salary floor is you don't want franchises gutting their team's salary and raking in revenue off of the league, so you force them to spend a certain minimum. Instead of doing that, say they can spend however little they want to on players, but they aren't allowed to earn more than x% of what they spend. That way if a team guts their team salary, they would be forced to lower ticket prices, forced to lower merchandise prices, etc, and would get less of a cut of league's revenue sharing (does the nba do revenue sharing?).

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
The salary floor inflates the value of players that have no value. What about this idea, say that teams aren't allowed to charge more than x% of what the team salary is. The idea behind the salary floor is you don't want franchises gutting their team's salary and raking in revenue off of the league, so you force them to spend a certain minimum. Instead of doing that, say they can spend however little they want to on players, but they aren't allowed to earn more than x% of what they spend. That way if a team guts their team salary, they would be forced to lower ticket prices, forced to lower merchandise prices, etc, and would get less of a cut of league's revenue sharing (does the nba do revenue sharing?).

Hinkie would still tank.

Reel

Community Liaison
The problem is there is no clear cut way to value non superstar players

Parsons is coming off two seasons where he didn't finish due to the same right knee, yet, he can earn up to $22M per?

Has a white player ever made that kinda money? Dirk maybe?

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni

Ur prolly missing the players associations feelings on this.

evil1

That's fine. He is by most accounts a very good assistant coach having served on the staffs of Popovich and Rick Carlisle. Some guys are very good as assistants or coordinators but don't work out as head coaches.

zoltan

Lakers have everything going for them except a good team right now. They need a batman and robin and theyll be basketball royalty once again.

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
The problem is there is no clear cut way to value non superstar players

Parsons is coming off two seasons where he didn't finish due to the same right knee, yet, he can earn up to $22M per?

Has a white player ever made that kinda money? Dirk maybe?
Yeah he can earn that. They don't have to pay him that. But some idiot will and that's the problem

Mame YO

slings rocks
To me the proof is in the pudding man and they have been a dumpster fire basketball-wise for a few years now and they haven't made any of the signings that people constantly say they could/should/will make. It's a total fucking sham. Yes, it's LA. After that... It all rings so hollow man. Sports leagues including and absolutely not limited to the NBA are all about what have you done for me lately, and the lakers stink. And signing a player like whiteside wouldn't change that for them either.

Reel

Community Liaison
Plus, isn't the tax rate like 30% or something for athletes there?

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Lakers have everything going for them except a good team right now. They need a batman and robin and theyll be basketball royalty once again.

We have plenty of Jokers, anyway.

It's distressing when you read and hear about how the Erzzzz top management don't even seem to communicate with each other, let alone be on the same page regarding the future of the franchise. To me to me it just seems like the typical trajectory of a once-successful business whose ownership and control has now been taken over by the chirren, who are generally less hungry and focused than the father. :(

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
It's interesting, they both own their own personal copy of snapchat.

R2D2

76ers plan to be serious suitors for RFA Harrison Barnes. God does not hate Cleveland, God hates Philadelphia.

Reel

Community Liaison
76ers plan to be serious suitors for RFA Harrison Barnes. God does not hate Cleveland, God hates Philadelphia.

long as its not NOLA

i've been reading some articles about who the pels should target and one dude is Ken Bazemore. An Atl beat writer or blogger thinks 4yrs/$70M should get it done. Still too steep of a price for me, but i cant think of any other 3 and D wings the pels actually have a shot at getting.

Heisman06

This was reported as fake last night but the fact that everyone figured it was true shows why Miami is hesitant to give him max money. Love the player but you have to worry about giving him 20+ million a season. Someone will do it but do you wanna take the risk on an immature 27-year old that's made like $3-4 million in his career?

Read this earlier. Good article but I'm not sure I learned anything new. Always good to see Riley getting love though. I still say Miami is 3rd on KD's list behind OKC and Golden State but these things are fluid. Miami has a chance and that's all you can ask for in these types of situations.

GuyIncognito

pressure cooker full of skittles
If KD wants to play in the East then he may as well just pick whichever city he wants to live in because they'll coast to the ECF.

zoltan

Lol if im harrison barnes im staying put af.

Leave oakland to go to philly? Leave a championship contender to go to the worst ish team in the league.

It makes no sense.

Reel

Community Liaison
Lol if im harrison barnes im staying put af.

Leave oakland to go to philly? Leave a championship contender to go to the worst ish team in the league.

It makes no sense.
A player like him has probably one chance at a large payday. He has a ring. He saw how hard it was to repeat. GS no doubt will compete for the foreseeable future but that's not a lock they will win.

Get money brah

zoltan

Uhhhh that is precisely the juvenile mentality that ruins/breaks up championship caliber teams and players careers.

Harrison Barnes has a nice little niche with GSW. Yea he underperformed in the finals but its hard to find players like him who just do their job and know their role. If im him im staying put.

Team chemistry
Coaching staff that has his back

These are all things to consider other than money.

Or maybe he goes for the payday brah

Idk. Loyalty dont mean shit these days so youre probably right.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
My sources tell me that Durant only wants to do all this interviewing teams and shit once, so no matter where he signs he plans to be there long term even though he will be doing that 1 year opt out contract.

And by my sources I mean Chris Broussard on Mike and Mike @Brick.