• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2015/16 NBA Season Thread

GuyIncognito

pressure cooker full of skittles
Re: waiters

Ginobli can get as close to the line as he possibly can provided be retains a vertical position and doesn't cross the line with any part of his body.

Now, this is the gray area part because you have to determine how intent. If he just kinda steps on the line, you might be willing to let it go, but if he just straight up steps on/over the line to cause dion to panic, then you must call that even if it has an impact on the final sequence of the game

What about the 3 foot halo rule?

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Re: waiters

Ginobli can get as close to the line as he possibly can provided be retains a vertical position and doesn't cross the line with any part of his body.

Now, this is the gray area part because you have to determine how intent. If he just kinda steps on the line, you might be willing to let it go, but if he just straight up steps on/over the line to cause dion to panic, then you must call that even if it has an impact on the final sequence of the game
LETTER OF THE LAW REEEEL

ur subjective ways lead to many kids hating you like the dirty zerbra you are

RUSS IN -3, ALDRIDGE IN THE PEPPERIDGE FARM DIP ON THE COUCH

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
What about the 3 foot halo rule?
The NBA might differ from high school in this regard because there is no such thing according to my rule book.

The only rule in high school that references 3ft is the amount of space the inbounder can step to either side on a spot throw in, provided that at least one foot stays within the designated throw in spot. However, they can move as far back as they want because there is no depth on an out of bounds throw in

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
The NBA might differ from high school in this regard because there is no such thing according to my rule book.

The only rule in high school that references 3ft is the amount of space the inbounder can step to either side on a spot throw in, provided that at least one foot stays within the designated throw in spot. However, they can move as far back as they want because there is no depth on an out of bounds throw in
As far back as you want lol...I don't think I've ever played on a court that had more than about a foot of space to move backwards into except on the baseline.

atlbraves

greg-popovich-thumbs-up.gif

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
Church gyms da worst of all the gym genders
To me, field house gyms are the worst, to me. Church gyms you just run into a wall, field house gyms you go into two benches and probably land weirdly in a pile of chairs and people. :laughing:

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
To me, field house gyms are the worst, to me. Church gyms you just run into a wall, field house gyms you go into two benches and probably land weirdly in a pile of chairs and people. :laughing:
That sounds like a church gym except the chairs are in front of the wall which is 3 feet out of bounds

GuyIncognito

pressure cooker full of skittles
I kinda like the no calls honestly. Anything they do there is going to piss everyone off.

The right call is a technical on Manu for crossing the line in the last two minutes. Spurs go apeshit because nobody ever calls that.

The next right call is a foul on Waiters for shoving Manu. Thudner goes apeshit because Manu was over the line to begin with.

The next right call is Danny Green smashing Durant like a safety playing a jump ball. Spurs go apeshit because Waiters tossed a 50/50 ball into the heavens and it's the playoffs.

The next right call is Serge molesting the shit out of Aldridge and Leonard under the basket. Thudner go apeshit because it's a scrum and the playoffs.

The next right call is some shit on the Spurs for their fan trying to keep Adams off the court, I don't even know what that call is.

Given all of that, I say just let them play and live with what happens.

Last edited:

evil1

SB Nation's writeup of...whatever that was at the end of the game...is excellent

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/5/3/11...ding-refs-dion-waiters-foul-nba-playoffs-2016

Here are my favorite quotes from that summary:
Failure 1: Billy Donovan lets Dion Waiters make a critical inbounds pass

We've written a lot in this post about who failed and how, but Adams deserves some sort of medal. On this play, he did the work of three men. In a few seconds, he forced the ball handler to commit to a pass, got to the rim to stop the person the ball was passed to, guarded the bucket from a third player and got out to the three-point line juuuuuust in time to get the tips of his fingers on the ball. Adams needed decent speed, every inch of his 7-foot frame and spectacular defensive instincts to make all of these plays. Luckily, he had each. We rarely talk about clutch transition defense, but that's what Adams displayed here.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
Adams has progressed a lot this year in all facets. Reel e glad OKC drafted him.

And now we wait until Friday for game 3. Guess I'm watching hockey the next few nights.

Reel

Community Liaison
hahaha what a clusterfuck. and chris webber said "we have the best officiating in any sport in the world." the fuck outta here and go take a timeout
Really can't believe he said that. It had that "don't get fired" feel all over it. Lol

He knows someone like JVG can criticize the officials with no repercussions. His voice sounded like he was unsure of how his criticism would be viewed so he played it safe by giving that back handed compliment.

But the NBAs problem is they have too many old officials and no rhyme or reason or consistency in which they make calls. Probably not their fault as the NBA has clearly gone out of its way to promote stars and protect them at all costs even if it means not calling fouls or violations when they occur.

The problem with that is if you let it go unchecked too long, the violations (see the infamous LeBron pivot for a mile) and the fouls (see Steven Adam's/Andrew Bogut blatant off ball fouling) get more deliberate every trip down court

But I'm just a guy who calls middle school Games so take my thoughts with a grain assault. What do I know

Reel

Community Liaison
Every sports league in the world has bad officiating and no rhyme or reason or consistency. It has always been that way and will always be that way.
I told you I ref middle school Games didn't I?

CJ_24

I kinda like the no calls honestly. Anything they do there is going to piss everyone off.

The right call is a technical on Manu for crossing the line in the last two minutes. Spurs go apeshit because nobody ever calls that.

The next right call is a foul on Waiters for shoving Manu. Thudner goes apeshit because Manu was over the line to begin with.

The next right call is Danny Green smashing Durant like a safety playing a jump ball. Spurs go apeshit because Waiters tossed a 50/50 ball into the heavens and it's the playoffs.

The next right call is Serge molesting the shit out of Aldridge and Leonard under the basket. Thudner go apeshit because it's a scrum and the playoffs.

The next right call is some shit on the Spurs for their fan trying to keep Adams off the court, I don't even know what that call is.

Given all of that, I say just let them play and live with what happens.

How very purpovist of you.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
craziest ending to an NBA game that I can remember since the Malice (da most presha) at the Palace. 5 missed calls within a span of seconds is pretty ridiculous.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
The Spurs still had a better chance to win even with the missed call. They had a 3 on 2 after the steal. That's better odds than inbounding against a set D. Nothing to bitch about.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
Although again I say that once you miss the first call on Ginobili stepping over the line, you may as well just let it play out.

I agree. Call the tech on Ginobili or swallow the whistles and let the players determine the outcome of the game unless something really egregious occurs. Although everything about that ending was egregious, haha.

Mame YO

slings rocks
What the fuck I hate TNT now I have to grab the laptop and queue up a shitty illegal stream to watch a game that should be on local TV.

Worse yet, those fuckers on TNT have most of the remaining games. Only one ABC game even if the series goes 7.

sayo

YEET
The way the Warriors turn those defensive stops into offensive opportunities is awesome. I ain't even mad. Draymong's ability to bring the ball up is so impressive.

Heisman06

No one on nUtopia even mentioned the Heat/Raptors lmao. Bad sign for ratings. Figured the Lowry shot would get some reactions at least.

sayo

YEET
I was at work but that ending looked crazy. I'm really not a fan of watching either of those teams. I would have been watching hockey if I was off.

bjc

Butt Naked Wonda
Lillard is awesome.

Love the warriors' sets but the number of borderline illegal screens gets old

sayo

YEET
Henderson makes tough shots but his ball stopping is so frustrating. That possession where he tried to go one on one with Dray. Smdh

bjc

Butt Naked Wonda
I don't understand how you lose sight of the one person on the floor you absolutely have to stay on.

And this is why you aren't winning shit, Portland. Or at least don't deserve it.