• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2015/16 NBA Season Thread

MSUFanatic

The more I think about it the more disappointed I am with choosing GS. I get it from a "basketball" sense to join GS, but this whole era of basketball is just weird. I mean probably the closest equivalent would be Bird signing with the Lakers. But whatever. The guy wants to be Harrison Barnes, not a superstar. Wish him the best when he's crying in the corner of the locker room cause drayman yells at him.

Eh if the league was setup with the cap rules that are in place today who knows what would have happened historically. He wants to win a title if he feels GS gives him the best shot so do it. I don't understand this whole well he's not a competitor thing. If he thought GS was the best place, and had the opportunity to move there, he shouldn't do it because well #competition? Isn't the goal to be on the best team, and win a lot of games, and subsequently win championships?

Brick

this, for all time, about all athletes:

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2010/09/nonlebron.html

The primary folly here is trying to divine the motives and innermost feelings of professional athletes. We know so little of them that doesn't come by way of razor commercials and magazine spreads and strategically chosen television interviews in front of strategically chosen topiary. We have as much genuine insight into Kevin Durant's head and Phil Mickelson's bedroom as we do into LeBron James' soul and Tiger Woods' underpants. To call Durant humble—over and over and over again—is to look at a passing cloud and swear you see the Vienna Boys' Choir.

And not to put too fine a point on it, but who freaking cares? All great athletes are arrogant; some just hide it better on camera. The people ladling praise on the guy for saying shucks and thanking the equipment manager and generally being very Beaver Cleaver with everyone—"Durant always asks the [University of Texas] basketball sports information director, Scott McConnell, about his sons by name," the New York Times informs—evidently would rather use athletes as large vessels for vicarious moralizing, something to put down on the mantel next to the Precious Moments figurines, than admit we care about them only because they jump high.

Of course, that's what really matters in an age that judges athletes foremost on the quality of their salesmanship. LeBron packaged himself poorly. Durant has sold himself well, or at least has given of himself so little that the very idea of his reticence could be fashioned into a cudgel against the Very Bad Thing of the day—ego run amok. More than anything, Durant offers the moralists a clean bank shot at LeBron and his cohort. He will remain useful in this role for a time, and then one day he'll go and do some Very Bad Thing and shatter all our precious illusions. We'll have no choice but to pick out a new unicorn, a new cardboard idol to worship, and all the while we'll wonder how we got the last one so wrong. Did we ever know Kevin Durant at all?

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
If I were Durant I'd put out a tweet criticizing D-Wade for ring-chasing instead of competing.

If he turned super heel and a little alpha came out, it would be worth it. All I wanted was to see him play with half the anger RUSS has.

The chip on RUSS's shoulder now has a chip on its shoulder. We're going to end up with a russian china doll situation soon with him.

Brick

if only durant played with the anger and intensity of dirk or steph he'd have won a ring by now.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
If he turned super heel and a little alpha came out, it would be worth it. All I wanted was to see him play with half the anger RUSS has.

The chip on RUSS's shoulder now has a chip on its shoulder. We're going to end up with a russian china doll situation soon with him.

All the more reason to trade him to Philly for a shitty return. Russ then carries the rest of Philly's rotting corpse of a roster to the 2017 Championship.

Bryan Colangelo: Philly GM 4 Life. :thumbsup:

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
Eh if the league was setup with the cap rules that are in place today who knows what would have happened historically. He wants to win a title if he feels GS gives him the best shot so do it. I don't understand this whole well he's not a competitor thing. If he thought GS was the best place, and had the opportunity to move there, he shouldn't do it because well #competition? Isn't the goal to be on the best team, and win a lot of games, and subsequently win championships?
I get wanting the best shot to win a title. It's why it made sense Lebron went to Miami. The situation in Cleveland 6 years ago was garbage.

I would just believe most super stars who have that alpha mentality want to be the man who wins the title. But I get it..he's not the alpha personality. He wants to be Harrison Barnes and stand on the wing and shoot 3s while the offense revolves around other guys.

Overall, it makes the league worse (but that's not his problem). It's legitimately a 2 team league and everyone else is just fighting for draft position at this point.

MSUFanatic

I get wanting the best shot to win a title. It's why it made sense Lebron went to Miami. The situation in Cleveland 6 years ago was garbage.

I would just believe most super stars who have that alpha mentality want to be the man who wins the title. But I get it..he's not the alpha personality. He wants to be Harrison Barnes and stand on the wing and shoot 3s while the offense revolves around other guys.

Overall, it makes the league worse (but that's not his problem). It's legitimately a 2 team league and everyone else is just fighting for draft position at this point.

I think the league was pretty close to that situation to begin with. Very few people actually watch the NBA regular season and this year there were what 2 competitive playoff series? I don't see the landscape sliding much to what it was a year ago.

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
I think the league was pretty close to that situation to begin with. Very few people actually watch the NBA regular season and this year there were what 2 competitive playoff series? I don't see the landscape sliding much to what it was a year ago.
I don't disagree. I might have watched 3 full games all year including playoffs.

GR8 2 B FL G8R

Let's just put everybody in the NBA on Cleveland and GS. Then just have a 7 game NBA season for the title. It'll save everyone 7 months.
Although this seems to be the case, I predict the lay low Spurs win the West after Soft Curry is injured in the quarter finals.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I ventured over to reddit, which was a bad choice, but I think everybody else is more mad than Thudner fans.

We all knew if he left that no matter where he went the trogs would burn. The size of an excuse to start a fire for Oklahomans is razor thin, so this is easy. Everybody else is mad because the 2011 CBA kind of broke the league. It had the opposite affect of what they wanted and it's hilarious to me. Nobody outside of the trailer parks would make a stink if he chose anywhere but GS, and it's only because no player has ever done this before. Lebron didn't come close. If you take out the how and just look at the moves, Lebron went to a HS jv team compared to what Durant just did. And Durant just got finished with a series against them in which they recorded the first comeback from 3-1 due to the Mamba Magic. It is an amazing move and the only real situation similar that I can think of is Wilt joining West and Baylor in 68(?).

As a chaos lover, this is perfect to me. Doesn't mean it isn't the weirdest thing I've ever seen happen though.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
@silverwheels
30HQK6g.gif

rfhFXLo.jpg

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
Russ to Wolves for Rubio/Wiggins?

RUSS/Dunn
Lavine/some FA
Shabazz/Bjelica
Gorgui/FA
KAT/Aldrich

LAWD, sign me up

PSUEagle

Maybe the BEST COMMISSIONER IN SPORTS will address this after he's done grandstanding over transgender bathrooms.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
Apparently "no chance" RUSS signs an extension. I guess you have to shop him now.

Doesn't mean he doesn't want to stay. He'd lose a shitload of money if he signed an extension now instead of next summer. Just have to let the first part of the season play out, see if he wants to stay, and if he doesn't, trade him by the deadline. rhubarb SOURCES have said that there was always a worry that Durant would be swayed by his mom/posse to leave OKC, while there is no worry with RUSS about that. They also think this makes him even more likely to stay. grain assault, obvs

GuyIncognito

pressure cooker full of skittles
I guess. I mean he's my favorite person ever, obviously I want them to keep him.

But if you let Durant and Westbrook both walk for nothing, it's just a complete disaster.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
Well yeah, if there's even the slightest chance he wants out, then he has to be dealt. His expiring contract makes that tricky, though.

NML

Feel like we heard that same stuff with KD.

They could probably get a great haul for Russ - and with Oladipo and Kanter, they already have two solid pieces. I hated Kanter's contract when he signed it, but compared to the shit this offseason, he's a bargain.

Haven't paid attention enough to know what names have been floated around, but maybe something like the Greek Freak and Middleton + picks? Isaiah Thomas, Marcus Smart, and Brooklyn's unprotected first?

NML

Yeah, I fully expect the C's to make a run at him. They certainly have the assets to make it work, it just comes down to if Westbrook wants to go there.

They would immediately top the league pass watch list.

NML

They've got multiples. Brooklyn's 2018 is the best asset they have. Every chance for that to be first overall. Lots of solid, rotation guys on cheap contracts. All star PG in Isaiah Thomas - though I imagine Ainge wouldn't want to move him.

In an ideal Celtics world, it's something like Smart, Jerebko, Jaylen Brown + nets pick.

In an ideal OKC world, it's probably Thomas, Smart, Brown, Crowder + nets and C's picks.

NML

C's also have Amir Johnson's non-guaranteed $12m contract that clear cap space for OKC or take a bad contract back (though I'm unsure if they need it).

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
Ain't no superstar going to racist ass cold Boston. Donovan and Stevens will be back in college in 2 years or less. Maybe sooner if the Kentucky, Louisville, Duke, UNC jerbs open up.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
It just sucks that it's very likely KD knew he was leaving well before yesterday and didn't tell the organization so they could at least try to get someone like Batum or even Parsons. Now OKC is fucked at small forward. Andre Roberson is a shooting guard but is still a better option than the other two guys at SF: Kyle Singler (LOL) and Josh Huestis, who I think has pretty decent potential but isn't there yet. So I would think any deal for RUSS would be to a team that he wants to play for so he'll re-sign after this year, and it would have to include either a solid SF or starting-caliber PG and an unprotected first rounder so rhubarb can draft the position that wasn't in the trade.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
When you don't have to work, you have a lot of free time on ur hands.

This is quite the dilemma I have with free time sometimes. You have to come up with free shit to do in order not to go broke. I'm on board.

Reactions: NML

GuyIncognito

pressure cooker full of skittles
Heh, put RUSS on any team in the East and what's the point of protecting the pick?

They need to trade for someone else's pick.

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
It just sucks that it's very likely KD knew he was leaving well before yesterday and didn't tell the organization so they could at least try to get someone like Batum or even Parsons. Now OKC is fucked at small forward. Andre Roberson is a shooting guard but is still a better option than the other two guys at SF: Kyle Singler (LOL) and Josh Huestis, who I think has pretty decent potential but isn't there yet. So I would think any deal for RUSS would be to a team that he wants to play for so he'll re-sign after this year, and it would have to include either a solid SF or starting-caliber PG and an unprotected first rounder so rhubarb can draft the position that wasn't in the trade.

srs question, but do you think any of those dudes you mentioned were going to make much of an impact?

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
Parsons and Batum

They'd definitely have an impact. They're far better than anything we have at that position right now, even if Parsons can't stay healthy. Obviously neither of them is Durant, but he's the 2nd-best SF in the league behind Lebron. OKC's forwards as of right now are Ersan Ilyasova, Nick Collison, Mitch McGary, Kyle Singler, and Josh Huestis. I guess Domantas Sabonis can also play the 4, but he's a rookie. Kanter's defense still leaves a lot to be desired, so he's not a guy you can play at the 4 for long stretches, especially in a smallball-crazy West.

OKC might be historically bad at shooting the 3 this year, which is not something you want in today's NBA. Adams-Kanter is prolly the best big duo in the league right now, but as I said, Kanter's defense doesn't make it a viable pairing for all but maybe 10 minutes a game. A guy like Batum at the 3 would have helped tremendously.