• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2014 NFL: ALL HAIL THE ACID SHARKS

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
If I was an NFL GM without a Top-5 QB, First thing I'd do is bring in a proven offensive coordinator (proven without a top-5 QB). Outside of having an elite QB, your OC is your most important offensive player. Then I'd trade a 5th-7th round pick for some washed up armed "game manager" QB with starting experience who will throw less than 10 picks a season. Don't fall for the overpriced free agent trog trap, trade for a current backup QB or starter that a team wants to get rid of. I don't give a fuck that they can't "win games," I just want a guy who doesn't LOSE games. Gimme Alex Smith, Kyle Orton, Tebow, I don't fucking care. They aren't sexy like Robo, but you don't have Robo, and this is infinitely better than throwing some rookie in to turn your team into a dumpster fire by throwing 25 picks a season like the Jets/Jacksonville have done. That shit doesn't help anyone. Winning is what creates winning, not tanking for some first round pick in hopes you hit the 1/50 odds of a franchise QB like Peyton.

Then I'd spend every 1st-4th round draft pick on offensive linemen and defenders for the next 5 years. If only half of them pan out, that's still an incredibly solid team. If some amazing QB deal fell into my lap in the late 1st-3rd rounds, I'd take it as a future investment, but never ever take RBs/WRs in the first 4 rounds. I don't understand why teams would ever spend high picks on unproven skill players when proven veteran skill players are available for cheap as fuck if you are willing to think outside the box and snag a dude who doesn't look the part (Hai Sproles, come on over for a 7th round pick). In 5 years you'll have a very nice football team that is making the playoffs regularly (and once you make the playoffs your "game manager" QB can always get hot and you might end up winning it all). Whatever you do, if your game manager QB gets hot and wins you the super bowl, don't pay him like he's Peyton because he isn't. If he wants a huge contract, ship his ass out and get more picks and new game manager. The one thing you CANT afford to do in the NFL is have a non elite QB who is paid like an Elite QB. That'll doom ur franchise.

Except your owner will never let you do this because he needs STARRRRRRRRRZZZZ to sell replica kits. So you're definitely drafting that 6'5" mong from UVa who can make all the throws when he isn't accidentally the whole thing.

mongoose

Except your owner will never let you do this because he needs STARRRRRRRRRZZZZ to sell replica kits. So you're definitely drafting that 6'5" mong from UVa who can make all the throws when he isn't accidentally the whole thing.

Lol, what world is this in?

Edit: i actually forgot they have a 6'5 mong who is turrible

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
Lol, what world is this in?

Edit: i actually forgot they have a 6'5 mong who is turrible

Yeah, I was watching some of the game vs FSU and the announcers kept talking about his size and arm strength, even though he was mediocre at best on the field.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Curious if, when Tom Brady finally hangs up his cleats, the Patriots will operate like what Travis describes. I don't follow GM/front office moves that much so don't know whether any franchises operate in this "Moneyball" manner.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Well they basically follow my "plan" even with Brady as QB. That's why Brady has a circus of mostly undrafted/7th round midgets to throw the ball to and one good but oft injured player at TE. Out of all the patriots skill players on the roster, they have 2 second round picks (Vereen, Dobson, Gronk as a TE doesn't count as "skill position" to me) two 3rd round picks (Riddley and LaFell) and everyone else is a late round pick or undrafted. If anything I'd be more inclined to spend a first round pick on a WR if I did have a top QB like Brady. I'm sure he'd love to have someone like Demaryius Thomas to throw the ball to.

Last edited:

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
I think, though - that they operate like that because they have arguably the greatest QB of his generation. If Brady retired at the end of the year and the Patriots were like 85% of the rest of the league in terms of having a non-elite QB, they too might be one of those franchises chasing the Next Great Hope and throwing big money at an unproven 22-year old QB/RB/WR

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Havent the patriots drafted like 3 QBs with relatively high picks with brady? Mallet, that other one recently and someone else a while back?

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Lets see what the Patriots have spent their 1-4th round draft picks.

In the last 5 years they've had 25 round 1-4 picks
They have drafted

QB - 2 (1 traded away)
RB - 3
WR - 3
TE - 2 (1 in prison)
OL - 3
DL - 3
LB - 4
DB - 5

So out of 25 high round draft picks, they've spent 17 or 68% on areas that I suggest spending high round draft picks. QBs are both guys they liked for some reason and felt like spending a 2nd/3rd round pick on, but they didn't reach for anyone. Skill players were all taken in rounds 2-4.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Havent the patriots drafted like 3 QBs with relatively high picks with brady? Mallet, that other one recently and someone else a while back?

They drafted Garlaklf;jpallo in the 2nd last year and drafted Mallet in the 3rd in 2010. Those were the only QBs I see for them in the last five years in the top 4 rounds. They didn't like Mallet so they traded him away for a late rounder.

Packfan

Administrator
Administrator
Since Rodgers has been the starter the Packers have kinda followed the Travis plan. They have drafted 12 linemen during that time, problem is most of them have been busts especially on the defensive side of the ball. They have used 3 2nd Round picks on WRs, Nelson, Cobb and Adams this past year.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Yeah, it's obviously not JUST about positions either, if you draft a ton of busts at any position you are fucked. The relatively nice part about drafting busts at non skill positions is you can get rid of them easily. Skill position busts tend to stick around too long while the GM tries to prove they are worth it (ie why Indy will give Trent Richardson the ball for a few more years, even though it was a trade). Still, from a % perspective I'd rather be drafting those positions since it seems to be easier to fill the RB/WR roles with late round draft picks or even UDFAs

bruin

I'm good with what Kansas City has been doing. Even though Houston and Poe were Pioli picks, under Dorsey it's been OL/LB'/DB's. Dorsey hit big on Kelce in the 3rd round, and it looks like DAT could be something when Nutopians said he might not even get drafted. Shit, the only WR that the Chiefs have drafted that has done something in the past 5 years is Junior Fucking Hemingway.

Jon Baldwin for AJ Jenkins?! Chiefs won that trade! :laughing:

Last edited:

GR8 2 B FL G8R

Well they basically follow my "plan" even with Brady as QB. That's why Brady has a circus of mostly undrafted/7th round midgets to throw the ball to and one good but oft injured player at TE. Out of all the patriots skill players on the roster, they have 2 second round picks (Vereen, Dobson, Gronk as a TE doesn't count as "skill position" to me) two 3rd round picks (Riddley and LaFell) and everyone else is a late round pick or undrafted. If anything I'd be more inclined to spend a first round pick on a WR if I did have a top QB like Brady. I'm sure he'd love to have someone like Demaryius Thomas to throw the ball to.

Was coming to post about my boy hernandez but yall beat me to it

Packfan

Administrator
Administrator
Brady Quinn's sister watched the Milwaukee Bucks game last night

rodgersmunnbucksjeffhanischusat.jpg

Bucksin04

If I was an NFL GM without a Top-5 QB, First thing I'd do is bring in a proven offensive coordinator (proven without a top-5 QB). Outside of having an elite QB, your OC is your most important offensive player. Then I'd trade a 5th-7th round pick for some washed up armed "game manager" QB with starting experience who will throw less than 10 picks a season. Don't fall for the overpriced free agent trog trap, trade for a current backup QB or starter that a team wants to get rid of. I don't give a fuck that they can't "win games," I just want a guy who doesn't LOSE games. Gimme Alex Smith, Kyle Orton, Tebow, I don't fucking care. They aren't sexy like Robo, but you don't have Robo, and this is infinitely better than throwing some rookie in to turn your team into a dumpster fire by throwing 25 picks a season like the Jets/Jacksonville have done. That shit doesn't help anyone. Winning is what creates winning, not tanking for some first round pick in hopes you hit the 1/50 odds of a franchise QB like Peyton.

Then I'd spend every 1st-4th round draft pick on offensive linemen and defenders for the next 5 years. If only half of them pan out, that's still an incredibly solid team. If some amazing QB deal fell into my lap in the late 1st-3rd rounds, I'd take it as a future investment, but never ever take RBs/WRs in the first 4 rounds. I don't understand why teams would ever spend high picks on unproven skill players when proven veteran skill players are available for cheap as fuck if you are willing to think outside the box and snag a dude who doesn't look the part (Hai Sproles, come on over for a 7th round pick). In 5 years you'll have a very nice football team that is making the playoffs regularly (and once you make the playoffs your "game manager" QB can always get hot and you might end up winning it all). Whatever you do, if your game manager QB gets hot and wins you the super bowl, don't pay him like he's Peyton because he isn't. If he wants a huge contract, ship his ass out and get more picks and new game manager. The one thing you CANT afford to do in the NFL is have a non elite QB who is paid like an Elite QB. That'll doom ur franchise.

So, with the exception of the Richardson-Weeden debacle of 2011, the Browns?

Game Manager: Brian Hoyer
OC: Kyle Shanahan
Drafts mainly focused around defensive players and o-linemen. Skill players taken include leading receiver in the NFL last year Josh Gordon (supplemental draft pick) and pro bowler Jordan Cameron plus leading rusher on the team this year in Terrence West

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cle/draft.htm

Edit: Here are the last 5 Browns drafts, 1st-4th rounds only: http://www.pro-football-reference.c...os=ALL&college_id=all&conference=any&show=all

24 players taken.
11 defense
3 OL
Potential late 1st round QB steal in Manziel
Richardson who was traded at his highest value to get the pick that became Manziel
And the aforementioned Pro Bowler Cameron and leading rusher West

Last edited:

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
So, with the exception of the Richardson-Weeden debacle of 2011, the Browns?

Game Manager: Brian Hoyer
OC: Kyle Shanahan
Drafts mainly focused around defensive players and o-linemen. Skill players taken include leading receiver in the NFL last year Josh Gordon (supplemental draft pick) and pro bowler Jordan Cameron plus leading rusher on the team this year in Terrence West

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cle/draft.htm

Edit: Here are the last 5 Browns drafts, 1st-4th rounds only: http://www.pro-football-reference.c...os=ALL&college_id=all&conference=any&show=all

24 players taken.
11 defense
3 OL
Potential late 1st round QB steal in Manziel
Richardson who was traded at his highest value to get the pick that became Manziel
And the aforementioned Pro Bowler Cameron and leading rusher West

Are you really calling Kyler Shanahan a good OC? Otherwise you look like ur on a good path. Better than spending all ur first round picks on WRs and QBs as is long time Cleveland tradition. Hoyer is a great example of what I was tombout though. Rather have him starting than throw a manziel to the lions.

Bucksin04

Are you really calling Kyler Shanahan a good OC? Otherwise you look like ur on a good path. Better than spending all ur first round picks on WRs and QBs as is long time Cleveland tradition. Hoyer is a great example of what I was tombout though. Rather have him starting than throw a manziel to the lions.

Shanahan has actually been really good this year given what he's had to work with. They had one of the most efficient offenses in the league during the first 6 weeks or so of the year before finally cooling off a bit. I mean, they're 6-3 playing with Brian Hoyer (undrafted, first full year as a starter), Terrence West (3rd round rookie), Isaiah Crowell (undrafted rookie), Miles Austin (undrafted, and yes he's still in the league), and Andrew Hawkins (originally undrafted) at skill positions, plus they lost their Pro Bowl center Alex Mack to a season ending injury which caused havoc on their offensive line due to guys shifting around. Oh, and Josh Gordon's been suspended every game this year too.

Last edited:

GR8 2 B FL G8R

I have no idea how Crowell was undrafted. It makes no sense that Ingram n Richardson go in rd 1, then other sec backs like Crowell go undrafted

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
I have no idea how Crowell was undrafted. It makes no sense that Ingram n Richardson go in rd 1, then other sec backs like Crowell go undrafted

I saw Crowell play last year when we traveled to face them at Alabama State. He's great in open space but average between the tackles. Idk how he's done this year, but he shied away from contact against JSU.