• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2014 NBA Thread

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
It's the NBA who needs coaching experience? It isn't the NFL where you need to be basically a genius of X's and O's.

That and the most important thing for an NBA coach is to get along with players/make them listen. You think these guys want to hear from some old dude who played in the league more than 20 years ago or someone who never even played in the league?

Being an NBA HC isn't exactly rocket science. It's just about rotations (which you can now get data from your stats guys on) and maybe drawing up a couple plays a game which you can hire a top assistant for.

colb

It's the NBA who needs coaching experience? It isn't the NFL where you need to be basically a genius of X's and O's.

That and the most important thing for an NBA coach is to get along with players/make them listen. You think these guys want to hear from some old dude who played in the league more than 20 years ago or someone who never even played in the league?

Being an NBA HC isn't exactly rocket science. It's just about rotations (which you can now get data from your stats guys on) and maybe drawing up a couple plays a game which you can hire a top assistant for.

Which is why Memphis forced out Hollins.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I think the best coaches are geniuses of X's and O's (see Greg Popavich, Thibs on D). Of course a lot of it is lucking into having a top talent in the league. Without that, you're Mike Brown.

doh

X's and O's matter but relationships matter much more. Don Nelson is the one of the best offensive coaches in NBA history. Revolutionized offense and found/exploited match ups on the offensive end better than probably anyone has. Pretty good at drafting too. What did that win him?

He never got along with players. Completely destroyed the Warriors franchise by giving away Webber in 1994. Then, as I posted above, took one of the best young players in the NBA and murdered him mentally in Bedrins. Broke up the "We Believe" team because they hated him. Etc.

I understand he wasn't a great defensive coach but he was terrible at managing guys and keeping a locker room together.

doh

One more point: dumb broadcaster Mark Jackson last year outcoached HOFer George Karl in the first round (without All-Star David Lee and similar talent) and took GOAT Pop to six (giving away game one in an epic collapse).

This year he took a team without it's only good post defender against a team with two dominant post players to seven games. The KKKlips had a significant advantage in bench, two of the top ten players in the league, sixth man of the year and brilliant corch Doc Rivers yet dumb broadcaster Mark Jackson still almost stole the series.

doh

I think the people bitching about people bitching is worse than ripping ChokeP3 and Fragile Blake.

RUSS UP

doh

So what is the fascination with Steve Kerr? Why is it assumed he is a great coach? Has he coached at any level ever in his life? But the warriors shell out $25M for him? Wat?
He put together great Suns teams with Robert Sarver telling him to slash payroll. He played for some of the best corches of all-time. He knows the league as well as anyone probably out there. He's been preparing to be a HC for two years by taking notes on everything. He is at an NBA game multiple times a week.

Does that count for something? I'd rather hire him for $25m than give that AND player personnel control to Stan Van Gundy.

doh

Which would be bad because players would feel inadequate and then act like Blake Griffin on the court.

bruin

this game needs to hurry up. Besides the homey Trevor Ariza, zzzzzzz.

I need some RUSS in my life

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
The game 7 Thudner-KKKlips shitshow (and there will be a game 7), it needs Joey Crawford as the ref.

Wuf

Desensitized and Willing
I remember seeing Snoop Dogg rocking Golden State gear when they won as a 8 seed 6-7 years ago. Entertainers just don't give a shit as long as they're seen at something relevant

That's why Drake was in Toronto for Round 1 and will be pounding fists with Lejuan next week in Miami.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
I remember seeing Snoop Dogg rocking Golden State gear when they won as a 8 seed 6-7 years ago. Entertainers just don't give a shit as long as they're seen at something relevant

That's why Drake was in Toronto for Round 1 and will be pounding fists with Lejuan next week in Miami.
#Frontrunners

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
Donald Sterling is going to have the nba tied up in court for a long time. We will see if the players follow through with their boycott next season.

bruin

Lakers-Jack-Nicholson-Med.jpg

colb

Lol, they call Perk for an offensive foul... because he did what Blake does every time down the court.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Man I really don't get how they don't have something better. It's like he doesn't even make them practice, he just makes them run a few 10s and maybe a 17 or two and just has them shoot the rest of the time.