• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2014 NBA Thread

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
I wish nba refs grow some damn balls and call these fouls. LeBron has to learn he can't risk putting his team in a bad position by fouling someone shooting a contested fadeaway three point shot.

As much as I dislike pierce, he should've been shooting three shots
Wat? I must have flipped to hockey. You tom bout when he slapped it out of bounds? That wasn't a shooting foul.

fonzilla

There are no random outcomes when a series has seven possible games. Maybe the first two rounds should be reduced to the best of 5

fonzilla

I get pissed off everytime I see Aldrich and realize he could have been a Bull but they decided to draft a center who couldnt score in Joakim.

Last edited:

joshuahuskers

Utopia Football League
So what is the fascination with Steve Kerr? Why is it assumed he is a great coach? Has he coached at any level ever in his life? But the warriors shell out $25M for him? Wat?

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
Can we just fast forward to the Spurs vs Heat II?

I don't see anyone beating the Spurs this year.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
So what is the fascination with Steve Kerr? Why is it assumed he is a great coach? Has he coached at any level ever in his life? But the warriors shell out $25M for him? Wat?

His BB IQ, association w/Pop and Phil Jackson plus he has some front office experience. However, to be honest I'm with you and don't understand it.

colb

So, when the Pacers and Heat meet in the ECF, who is gonna rebound? Lejuan may end up with 40 rebounds per game. There's no one else on either team who can grab boards. Hibbert gon' 0 rebound his way to game 7.

R2D2

I hope the Heat sweep the Pacers/Wizards in the ECF. We all know, even the players, know they're winning the NBA Finals again.

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
I'm gonna have to vehemently disagree with you on that one, zebra. There is no way that was a shooting foul.

I'll say this, he may have been pump faking to bait him into the foul. He lost the ball initially, got it, gathered hisself, and attempted to shoot. My thing is, recognize the situation. Pierce would've had to make a three pointer under duress while fading away. Play the odds. At worst, he makes it and you are down by one and I think they had a timeout and plenty of time to draw up a play to get off a good shot.

The inbounds play was just as bad. Totally disregarding Kidd's inability to come up with an actual play, Johnson was being mugged by Lebron the entire time. Lets rewind it a possession or two earlier when they tried the iso with Johnson and Lebron was riding him the entire way to the goal and ultimately ending up with the block. They go down the court, Johnson does the EXACT same thing to Lebron and its called a foul. Im not calling it a conspiracy, but im pointing out the inconsistency.

Chase

His BB IQ, association w/Pop and Phil Jackson plus he has some front office experience. However, to be honest I'm with you and don't understand it.

Not to mention it's perceived that he will play an uptempo game with an uptempo team of shooters, sort of like his Suns teams.

Did Doc Rivers have any corching experience before the Magic hired him or was he just a cornball announcer?

Reel

Community Liaison
False. Utah/New York is still available.

and his name hasnt been linked to ANY of those jobs. Hell i saw today that Utah is trying to get John Stockton to come and coach. What the hell has he been doing since he retired? Meanwhile, Ewing has been an assistant for what, the last 5+ years?

R2D2

and his name hasnt been linked to ANY of those jobs. Hell i saw today that Utah is trying to get John Stockton to come and coach. What the hell has he been doing since he retired? Meanwhile, Ewing has been an assistant for what, the last 5+ years?

I think his whole coaching career he's been an assistant. :laughing: Maybe he'll get consideration for the New York job since Phil lost his man.

Heisman06

Options for Knicks now? Ewing and Mark Jackson are beloved Knicks but no experience with triangle offense. Brian Shaw is under contract in Denver. Derek Fisher retires and takes the job like JKidd? Would love/hate seeing Fisher flop on the sidelines but at least I could continue hating him.

GuyIncognito

pressure cooker full of skittles
Opposing Team Terrified After Seeing Home Fans All Wearing Same Color T-Shirt

SPORTS NEWS IN BRIEFSportsNBA BasketballISSUE 50•19 • May 14, 2014

700.jpg

OKLAHOMA CITY—Describing the atmosphere as the most daunting they have ever encountered, Clippers players expressed their utter terror and panic Tuesday night upon taking the floor against the Thunder and discovering every spectator in the arena wearing the same white T-shirt. “When I first saw that sea of white shirts out there, I just remember thinking, ‘Oh my God, what have we gotten ourselves into here?’” said Clippers center DeAndre Jordan, noting that he and his teammates were absolutely crippled with fear after realizing the T-shirts worn by the Oklahoma City fans were not only the same color, but also had the same “Thunder” logo printed on the front. “Then they all started chanting “De-fense! De-fense!” while we had the ball, and we just didn’t know what to do. We’ve played in hostile environments before, but that—I don’t ever want to face that again.” Following his team’s loss, Clippers head coach Doc Rivers admitted to reporters that his players simply couldn’t overcome the fans’ wild cheers when the phrase “Let’s Get Loud!” was displayed on the arena’s Jumbotron.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/op...lMarketing&utm_campaign=LinkPreview:1:Default

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Can't resist a good Bill Simmons article on the Thudner. He's pretty much on point when he talks about them as an organization. While this won't be their last shot like he implies, they do only have until KD's contract is up to figure it out. After that if he is sensible and they don't do anything to help him, the rational thing is to leave. Then Russ the year after, then Ibaka. Maybe they'll do something when they finally get Perk off the books.

Dr. Shats Basoon

Closed mouths don't get fed
Well Blazers got trucked again. Still a great season and I'm glad they went up against the Spurs as a litmus test. Now the boys now the level they have to play at for the playoffs in order to take state. Hopefully the boys realize they can't outscore everyone and make a concerted effort to improve the defense. For a team that wasn't expecting to even make the playoffs, its a great achievement to make the second round.

Hopefully Neil Olshey can make some magic happen in FA cause he doesn't have alot of money to spend.
I hope mo walks and McCollum and Barton get a chance to play into the rotation.
Barton could be an electric 6th man if he learns to reign it in a little. Watching him reminds me of And1 mix tapes lol. Dude don't give a fuck.
McCollum's injury set him back I think. He never really had a shot to play himself into minutes I thought. Hopefully with his first NBA off season he will make a big leap
TRob has shown enough that I think his job is safe. He is a high energy guy off the bench. I think his defense is pretty solid and he is athletic enough that he could make strides.
Robin Lopez is played well all season long. He may be the only guy I thought played well against the Spurs.
Portland has to have a big leap from bench production next year. They were extremely fortunate to have 4/5 starters play all 82 games. The chances of that happening next season can't be good.

I'd like to see a veteran big come in to spell Rolo. It'd be great if Leonard could put it together but I'm not hopeful. As for the back court, I'd rather see the guys we currently have play more minutes and develop then bring in a veteran guard

Reel

Community Liaison
If the Pels could nab him (they can't, he's restricted) that would be a formidable front court.

i wish ya'll had just left my boy fisher alone, but he wrote up a nice article about the possibility of obtaining him from Detroit

Basically, he wrote that if you follow Dell Demps history, he has targeted players who's franchises have been in transition from one regime to the next and in the process, they are willing to deal players to establish their own team.

Now, he and I chatted about this and I told him that what he proposed in his article was a steep price to get Monroe. It involved giving up Ryan Anderson. I dont want any trade unless it's getting Lebron that gets rid of Anderson.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
i wish ya'll had just left my boy fisher alone, but he wrote up a nice article about the possibility of obtaining him from Detroit

Basically, he wrote that if you follow Dell Demps history, he has targeted players who's franchises have been in transition from one regime to the next and in the process, they are willing to deal players to establish their own team.

Now, he and I chatted about this and I told him that what he proposed in his article was a steep price to get Monroe. It involved giving up Ryan Anderson. I dont want any trade unless it's getting Lebron that gets rid of Anderson.

You give up Anderson for Monroe 100 times out of 100. It seems he things SVG is dumb or something though. SVG isn't, and he won't get rid of Monroe. Not for Anderson anyway

GR8 2 B FL G8R

Fish is probably thinking that Ryno's minutes would be few and far between if we had Anthony Davis and Greg Monroe. Can't pay backups like starters because...small market...see Harden trade

Reel

Community Liaison
You give up Anderson for Monroe 100 times out of 100. It seems he things SVG is dumb or something though. SVG isn't, and he won't get rid of Monroe. Not for Anderson anyway

it wasnt a one for one trade, but Anderson was included in the trade.

The deal also involved the pels taking back some contracts in exchange or something like that. I would have to read it again to get the info accurate.

BUT, the thing is the salary that Monroe will likely command after next season. Is he a max player on a team with AD? Fisher made some strong points, i just couldnt bring myself to like the deal.

Reel

Community Liaison
He broke his foot at the end of camp. He came back in January but by then the rotation was pretty set. He never seemed comfortable with the adjustment to 3-4 min spurts a game.

ruh oh

are they getting rid of anyone in the offseason to make room for him? Wasn't their plan to have their version of steph and Klay with him and Lillard?

NML

What's interesting to me about Monroe is how he seemed to take a step back this season. I think it was, for the most part, due to being asked to play out of position at power forward, when he's definitely a center. He was away from the basket defensively and he was NOT comfortable, so on that side of the ball he was a big drop off from where he was as a 5. Offensively, I don't think they utilized his passing ability enough. Monroe is, at worst, a solid passing big man and Detroit never seemed to work the offense through him.

Obviously, he'd fit perfectly in Boston after they win the lottery and Wiggins. Rondo - Bradley - Wiggins - Sullinger - Monroe with Jeff Green, Bass, and unknown guard off the bench? :scared:

sayo

YEET
He broke his foot at the end of camp. He came back in January but by then the rotation was pretty set. He never seemed comfortable with the adjustment to 3-4 min spurts a game.

I agree. Dude was never really given too much time in a pretty crowded back court. It was nice to see Barton step up and all but doesn't McCollum seem to have a higher ceiling overall? I always thought he would be that first guy off the bench providing offense at either guard position. Kind of like Mo but with a hint of playing defense.

Mame YO

slings rocks
McCollum has potential as a scorer off the bench but his defense is pretty bad as well. Ideally he'd replace mo, doe.