• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2014 NBA Thread

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
idk if that is a legit number or if you pulled it out of your ass but lets go with that. Is it safe to assume that the ppg Fisher posted is more of a reality?

He has scored 40+ in 28% of his post season games this year. I think NML's post is much more truthful than Fish's post, fish is just manipulating stats to make himself seem like he knows more.

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
He has scored 40+ in 28% of his post season games this year. I think NML's post is much more truthful than Fish's post, fish is just manipulating stats to make himself seem like he knows more.

thought you were talking about the reg season.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
thought you were talking about the reg season.

Fish wasn't, so why would I? He quoted his post-season stats. That's like using Anthony Davis' rookie numbers to judge his second year numbers by (since he doesn't go to the playoffs). They are two different things. There is a reason they separate regular season and post season stats.

Reel

Community Liaison
Fish wasn't, so why would I? He quoted his post-season stats. That's like using Anthony Davis' rookie numbers to judge his second year numbers by (since he doesn't go to the playoffs). They are two different things. There is a reason they separate regular season and post season stats.

O I C

then disregard my posts

i'll see myself out

tumblr_m78sy2gNYy1r00g3do1_500.gif

Mame YO

slings rocks
My issue with your position, fish, is that he isn't just out there chucking shots all game. Yes, he takes shots. But to me a chucker is patty mills when he played for the blazers, to me. Any blazers fan that saw him play at that time cringed whenever he got the ball, because he was going to shoot it, he was going to miss, and that was his only contribution.

Aldridge, on the other hand, is going to get his (as his ppg shows) in addition to his other contributions. He's going to pull down 10+ boards, swat a couple shots (an underrated part of his game), get a couple of assists (though his pass usually makes it's way through a couple hands before the weak side shooter ends up taking the 3), and he isn't a liability on defense. He's going to bend defenses, and affect the game. That's what you ask for from your best player. To me calling him a chucker is comparing him to 3/14 in 8 minutes patty mills. Aldridge is just so much more than that.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Aldridge role is to chuck, if he doesn't chuck they lose. Even his misses are changing the defense, he is a vital part of what they do because of the attention his chucking status gets from defenses. If he is on, a chucker can hit 40+

NML

I think a chucker is someone who doesn't provide much else. I also wouldn't say Melo is a chucker. Volume scorer, maybe.

Any player who scores a lot, takes a lot of shots to do so.

usnfish

I don't hate Aldridge. I hate a heavy reliance on inefficient shots as the base of an offense.

Pointing to Games 1 and 2 like that who Aldridge is is ridiculous because we have 577 games of him that says he's a volume scorer. His team's performance has wildly fluctuated while Aldridge has remained remarkably constant.

If we want to talk just post season Aldridge has played 25 games. He averages 20.2 PP/36 on 17.0 FGA/36. For his career (577 games) in the regular season he averages 19.2 PP/36 on 16.1 FGA/36. He's the same dude. He hits about 42% of his midrange shots on his entire career. Pointing to ONE GAME he shot 66% from midrange is hilariously missing the point.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I don't hate Aldridge. I hate a heavy reliance on inefficient shots as the base of an offense.

Pointing to Games 1 and 2 like that who Aldridge is is ridiculous because we have 577 games of him that says he's a volume scorer. His team's performance has wildly fluctuated while Aldridge has remained remarkably constant.

If we want to talk just post season Aldridge has played 25 games. He averages 20.2 PP/36 on 17.0 FGA/36. For his career (577 games) in the regular season he averages 19.2 PP/36 on 16.1 FGA/36. He's the same dude. He hits about 42% of his midrange shots on his entire career. Pointing to ONE GAME he shot 66% from midrange is hilariously missing the point.

Just take out the 8 point game too so you're at least honest about what you're doing and this convo never happens.

NML

No one is saying he's a 40 a night consistent scorer. Way to completely miss the point.

We are just calling ur bullshit argument, where you removed his two best games but left his worst to give us an "average."

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
An average which falls directly in line with his entire career of over 600 games.

Manipulate away big guy, we were just telling you why you are being dishonest in your analysis and manipulating the numbers to fit your end goal.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
i see both sides of the "discussion"

If you are trying to manipulate your 7 game data set to conform to his career average, I see what fish is doing. Problem is you have to be dishonest about excluding games to make it fit. Truth is, he has been playing at another level. And if you are to take away the outliers you need to be honest enough to take both sides out, not just the side that agrees with your manipulation.

atlbraves

If the sample is only 7 games, why would you take out any games, period? Any smaller of a sample size and it's hard to make any kind of point.

usnfish

Even taking out his 8 point game you still have a guy putting up roughly 1.19 points per shot. Not per possession, per shot.

32, 30, 29, 23 points = 114
25, 26, 23, 22 shots = 96

1.1875 points per shot.

His entire career he has scored 10901 points on 9150 shots.

1.1913 points per shot.

Tell me again, eliminating the outliers, how Aldridge is outperforming hisself.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Even taking out his 8 point game you still have a guy putting up roughly 1.19 points per shot. Not per possession, per shot.

32, 30, 29, 23 points = 114
25, 26, 23, 22 shots = 96

1.1875 points per shot.

His entire career he has scored 10901 points on 9150 shots.

1.1913 points per shot.

Tell me again, eliminating the outliers, how Aldridge is outperforming hisself.

Then why didn't you take out the 8 point game in the first place? Are you just lazy or did you think it might mess up what you wanted to do and leave it in for no reason?

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I'm only here to tell you that your data analysis processes blow, I don't care to fight you on Aldridge.

usnfish

Then why didn't you take out the 8 point game in the first place? Are you just lazy or did you think it might mess up what you wanted to do and leave it in for no reason?
Because the NBA stats tool has limitations and I didn't think I'd have to write a thesis to explain that Aldridge had two extremely good games and one poor one. Also because folks here love basic stats like "per game".

Specifically Reel said he wondered what Aldridge's stats were if you eliminate him going absolutely thermonuclear. And they aren't good. The 8 point game does have a clear downward pull on his FG% and points per game. So let's eliminate that (at your request) and we still see the same player. I'm not lazy. Just following your instructions.

Mame YO

slings rocks
i understand this argument, I really do. But I still feel like you're discounting what that innefficient shot does for the offense.

His midrange game opens up the basket; not just for him, but for the rest of the team. Shots at the rim are what you want, right? Aldridge being on the floor makes those shots at the rim more available for the blazers. He usually takes ~40% of his shots at the rim, too, and hits nearly 60% of those shots.

Same with three point shots. Aldridge sitting at 18 feet from the basket often attracts help from the perimeter. Idk if you noticed, but Houston stopped sending help from the perimeter in their series and instead would have asik give Aldridge the baseline. Then, when Aldridge took it they'd send Howard to double. It worked for a game (8 points), but Aldridge eventually figured it out and found Lopez for a couple baskets right under the rim. Why did Houston make that adjustment? Because they didn't want to give up the three ball.

When the blazers didn't have aldridge, they were shooting a bunch of 3s. Like 40 fucking threes a game for a stretch IIRC. Like I mentioned before, they looked bad. They nearly lost to Utah during that stretch! They were taking more of your beloved smart shots, but the offense was bogged down. The blazers are a top 5 offense with aldridge. It's night and day, that's how much he matters.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Because the NBA stats tool has limitations and I didn't think I'd have to write a thesis to explain that Aldridge had two extremely good games and one poor one. Also because folks here love basic stats like "per game".

Specifically Reel said he wondered what Aldridge's stats were if you eliminate him going absolutely thermonuclear. And they aren't good. The 8 point game does have a clear downward pull on his FG% and points per game. So let's eliminate that (at your request) and we still see the same player. I'm not lazy. Just following your instructions.

As long as you are consistent it is okay, but when you are not consistent even if you arrive at the same conclusion you are being dishonest with the analysis. Just do it right. Plus it is 7 games, you don't need a fucking tool to add up 7 games. Or 4 if you are taking out the good 2 and bad 1

DanishDonut0

Stats are cool and everything but they don't mean anything to your argument if you don't actually watch the game.

LA was going inside all day in those first two games. The Rockets finally figured out how to limit his points but putting a center (Asik,Howard) on him as well as attacking him with doubles. His mid range game took away a center from the paint opening up more options for his teammates. As did the double teams. Because of it they won the series. The Spurs and coach Pop are a whole other beast so we'll see what happens.

Please remind me of Davis' playoff stats?

usnfish

The problem with everything you've typed is Aldridge has been the same player for the past four seasons. His production has remained remarkably constant. Yet the team performance has varied dramatically. His performance in the equation isn't the variable. It's the constant.

Yes they nearly lost to Utah in that stretch. They also lost to San Antonio by 2 points and beat Brooklyn by 44 chucking those 30 threes a game.

So I understand you, Aldridge opens up the three point shot. And when Aldridge is out, the Blazers take more threes?

usnfish

I do love that whenever people disagree with my take on something their first response is personal attack or attacking the teams I root for. But that's nutopia for you. It is this wonderful new place isn't it? Between attacking the Pelicans, attacking SBNation writing (Chase, I see you), and just general attacking because we can't refute the evidence it is glorious.

I apologize for saying Aldridge is a volume scorer despite his 602 games of evidence that he is a volume scorer, failing to properly account for the two games he got hot (which by the way, are included in that 602 game total). I'll go away now because New Orleans fans are unwanted here.

NML

I only brought up Davis because that's why you hate Aldridge (they are constantly compared to each other) and Lillard (won rookie of the year instead of Davis). I even remember you bashing on Lillard that season.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
I ran a statistical analysis of Michael Jordan. I took out every game in which he scored over 30 points and found that he was actually an extremely average player. He averaged 22.7 points on 47,456 shots and when I ran those numbers through @Travis7401's QBR Mong formula, I found that Jordan would have been better off entering the NFL draft and he would have probably been a very successful NFL QB.

Mame YO

slings rocks
The problem with everything you've typed is Aldridge has been the same player for the past four seasons. His production has remained remarkably constant. Yet the team performance has varied dramatically. His performance in the equation isn't the variable. It's the constant.

Yes they nearly lost to Utah in that stretch. They also lost to San Antonio by 2 points and beat Brooklyn by 44 chucking those 30 threes a game.
This doesn't really say much, doe. He can get his, and open up teammates like he's supposed to... But they still have to hit shots. At the beginning of the year, they hit those shots. Those same shots aren't always going in, doe. It's a team game; he can't win by himself.

So I understand you, Aldridge opens up the three point shot. And when Aldridge is out, the Blazers take more threes?
they took more, but the looks weren't as good as they usually were. Without Aldridge, defenders just glued themselves to the perimeter players. Portland's offense amounted to a chuckfest of contested 3s. It was terrible.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
I ran a statistical analysis of Michael Jordan. I took out every game in which he scored over 30 points and found that he was actually an extremely average player. He averaged 22.7 points on 47,456 shots and when I ran those numbers through @Travis7401's QBR Mong formula, I found that Jordan would have been better off entering the NFL draft and he would have probably been a very successful NFL QB.

Based on this I should make Jordan's dad move to Titusville to work at the space center as mike is entering high school. Coach Mack will convince him football is his best sport and fill the void at quarterback. This will change the course if history for astronaut high the nfl and the nba.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
Based on this I should make Jordan's dad move to Titusville to work at the space center as mike is entering high school. Coach Mack will convince him football is his best sport and fill the void at quarterback. This will change the course if history for astronaut high the nfl and the nba.

Can you imagine Jordan lobbing passes to Wilber Marshall? Makes me wet.

Mame YO

slings rocks
Also, fish, I read ur articles from time to time. The bird writes is better than a good chunk of SB nation blogs. Probably most. Ur no Dave Deckard, and TBW is no Blazersedge - but keep it up! Don't let anyone get you down yo.

Reel

Community Liaison
I do love that whenever people disagree with my take on something their first response is personal attack or attacking the teams I root for. But that's nutopia for you. It is this wonderful new place isn't it? Between attacking the Pelicans, attacking SBNation writing (Chase, I see you), and just general attacking because we can't refute the evidence it is glorious.

I apologize for saying Aldridge is a volume scorer despite his 602 games of evidence that he is a volume scorer, failing to properly account for the two games he got hot (which by the way, are included in that 602 game total). I'll go away now because New Orleans fans are unwanted here.

yea, its one thing to troll someone but its another to take a personal shot. Even though most of you, shit, all of you would never agree with anything Fisher, G8r, and I post, I would never make it personal. You end up making yourself seem butthurt b/c you can't provide a proper rebuttal.

fwiw, I dont think Fisher has ever said he hated Aldridge btw. But anytime he posts something about another player, YA'LL are the ones who start talking about players of teams he roots for.

Exhibit A:
Stats are cool and everything but they don't mean anything to your argument if you don't actually watch the game.

LA was going inside all day in those first two games. The Rockets finally figured out how to limit his points but putting a center (Asik,Howard) on him as well as attacking him with doubles. His mid range game took away a center from the paint opening up more options for his teammates. As did the double teams. Because of it they won the series. The Spurs and coach Pop are a whole other beast so we'll see what happens.

Please remind me of Davis' playoff stats?

What was the point of bringing that up? Because he said something about a player on a team you happen to root for? Would you have posted the same thing if he said something about D.Howard?

Dude cant even go to the New Orleans teams threads and post his opinions w/o someone going in just to fuck with him. Three active posters cheering for two teams in a thread dedicated to those two teams, and somehow, the trolls still manage to find their way in and post something. Where they do that at?

Reel

Community Liaison
@NML

serious question

why havent you responded to my RR question sitting in your inbox

Mame YO

slings rocks
Spurs GM won GM of the year, apparently. I was expecting Phoenix's GM to win. Olshey got third for Portland.

Must be a lifetime achievement award, I guess.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Why should the Suns GM get the award? His team finished 9th of 15 teams.

LMA good but the guy shot 45.8% this year at the 4. That is not good. He was 55th in true shooting % amongst PF. Isn't that the definition of the volume scorer? It certainly takes skill 20+ ppg but he is not at all an efficient offensive player shooting wise. FT% and lack of TOs do help him.

And :laughing: at anyone who invokes Anthony Davis' name when LMA comes up. LMA is a very good fringe All-Star player. Davis is in another stratosphere.

Reel

Community Liaison
Why should the Suns GM get the award? His team finished 9th of 15 teams.

LMA good but the guy shot 45.8% this year at the 4. That is not good. He was 55th in true shooting % amongst PF. Isn't that the definition of the volume scorer? It certainly takes skill 20+ ppg but he is not at all an efficient offensive player shooting wise. FT% and lack of TOs do help him.

And :laughing: at anyone who invokes Anthony Davis' name when LMA comes up. LMA is a very good fringe All-Star player. Davis is in another stratosphere.

Re: Phoenix

they were 1 game out of the 8th seed right?

Who saw Gerald Green and the Morris Twins having the year they had. Weren't they brought in by him?

I honestly have no idea. I'm just offering a possible reason why.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Re: Phoenix

they were 1 game out of the 8th seed right?

Who saw Gerald Green and the Morris Twins having the year they had. Weren't they brought in by him?

I honestly have no idea. I'm just offering a possible reason why.
Sean McDonough's brother did a great job turning over the roster but since when does someone win an award for missing the playoffs in a league where more than half make the playoffs?

Mame YO

slings rocks
Because the suns are set up extremely well for the future? Do yous realize just how good their position is right now? They have tons of cap space, flexibility, a bunch of assets, a couple of legit players to build with... Yeah, I'd say Phoenix's offseason moves deserved more recognition than San Antonio's. I mean, all San Antonio did this offseason was resign a couple players and add belinelli. Phoenix just did more to win the "executive of the year" award, IMO. Considering their executive actually made big moves this offseason... I also don't really like yearly awards being used like lifetime achievement awards.

Also, Aldridge has gotten three consecutive all star nods in the loaded west. He isn't a "fringe" all-star; he's a perennial all-star. Get used to seeing him, he isn't going anywhere on that front.

Clintmartian

Stringer Bell
RE: SA GM winning.

I think it proves you're doing your job correctly when none of your players play more than 30 minutes a game, and somehow you have the best record in the NBA.

Reel

Community Liaison
Sean McDonough's brother did a great job turning over the roster but since when does someone win an award for missing the playoffs in a league where more than half make the playoffs?

so had they made it as an 8th seed, would you be ok with him winning it then?

Reel

Community Liaison
RE: SA GM winning.

I think it proves you're doing your job correctly when none of your players play more than 30 minutes a game, and somehow you have the best record in the NBA.

isnt that more of a credit to the corch?

sayo

YEET
Zach Lowe was talking about this very thing on his podcast a couple of weeks ago and he made some fair points that make sense to me. Lot's of people will point to Aldridge's midrange shooting and overall shooting %, but guys like him and Dirk are anomalies that affect the game in ways that don't show on the stat sheet. Yes, the midrange is not an efficient shot, but when you have a player who can make them at the clip he does (including the types of difficult shots he makes), it really changes the opponent's gameplan. Fact of the matter is, he is the main piece (not Lillard) in the Blazers' attack which was the best offense in the league until his injury right after the all-star break and finished top 3. It must be working, right?

As a Blazers fan, I'd like to see more of what he was doing in game 1 against Houston, but I understand the physical toll of putting your head down and attacking the basket relentlessly. I read somewhere that in game 1, his average shot was about 8 feet from the basket compared to over 15 feet in game 2. You just aren't going to get that out of him night in and night out. Not to mention, anyone who has watched Portland play for and particularly Aldridge will be quick to point out how inconsistent he is at finishing at the basket. Dude is often able to body his way to the paint but either resorts to that running fade which is horribly inconsistent, or the up and under (a far better move for himself). He also tries too often to make finesse finishes rather than just powering it down. It happened in the second quarter last night where Lillard hit him on the PNR and he opted for the layup, which missed, over just flushing it. This isn't that rare of an occurrence, unfortunately.