• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2014 NBA Thread

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Lofty expectations this year. He had the Warriors playing like the late 90s Heat/Knicks when they should be playing an uptempo offensive game like the D'Antoni Suns. Steve Kerr should corch there.

Mark Jackson has to be brought back to announce the finals doe.
Yep. He ran iso for Jordan Crawford in the post a bunch of times. Heard on the radio advanced stats had the Warriors 52% of possessions with two or few passes. An offense with Curry, Klay, Iggy, David Lee shouldn't be that terrible.

usnfish

I don't see a team in the West that finished above Golden State that wouldn't have if Jackson was a better coach.

Portland was absurdly healthy, the only starter that missed a single game was Aldridge who missed 13. To compare...

Bogut - Missed 15 plus the entire postseason
Iguodala - Missed 19
Lee - Missed 13

Houston, the Clippers, OKC, and San Antonio were all better, period. I don't see how Golden State possibly under-performed expectations unless those expectations are wildly unrealistic.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I don't see a team in the West that finished above Golden State that wouldn't have if Jackson was a better coach.

Portland was absurdly healthy, the only starter that missed a single game was Aldridge who missed 13. To compare...

Bogut - Missed 15 plus the entire postseason
Iguodala - Missed 19
Lee - Missed 13

Houston, the Clippers, OKC, and San Antonio were all better, period. I don't see how Golden State possibly under-performed expectations unless those expectations are wildly unrealistic.
Thats not why he was fired tho

Packfan

Administrator
Administrator
Bm_WAuCCYAEk6fB.jpg

sayo

YEET
And they were what, 5-23 or something? Yeah shaky is a bit generous but I was surprised they kept it within 13 all things considered.

usnfish

I have no idea why Portland is guarding Parker with Lillard at all. That is just asking for a beat down.

sayo

YEET
I have no idea why Portland is guarding Parker with Lillard at all. That is just asking for a beat down.

His on ball defense isn't great but his pick and roll defense is terrible and the Spurs are just exploiting this. Matthews is probably the best Portland player in pnr but I'm afraid Parker might just blow right by him with speed.

sayo

YEET
Regardless, I hope the Blazers take something away from this. Cant come out flat against a team like this.

sayo

YEET
Pop playing his bench heavily throughout the season is huge. These guys are so confident coming off the bench... Portland can't get too down. They've looked better in this half and they've shot turribly.

NML

Aldridge does seem to rely on his mid-range game too much, especially considering his size. But he doesn't shoot a bad % from there to the point that I'd have him work inside more. He's most deadly when he gets it at the elbow with his dribble still intact. Plus, when he drifts out wide, it opens up the lane for Lillard to drive and score or dish.

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
Don't take out his first two games because he played those.

serious question

shouldnt you remove anomalies or at least take them into consideration when trying to find the true value of something!!

Mame YO

slings rocks
Yeah wtf man if you're going to get all gamey with the stats at least remove the 8 point game too. Of course, that wouldn't prove your point so...

And of course, as OU said, he did play those games.

Why are you so determined to hate on Aldridge? He takes shots? Parker took 24 shots last night to get his 33... Is he a chucker too, then?

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
serious question

shouldnt you remove anomalies or at least take them into consideration when trying to find the true value of something!!

Lets take out all the good games Davis played so we can look at his average games and see what he looks like!!!

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Lolyeah, fish is known for messing with stats to make his argument. I agree with him on Aldridge too(I think he is better than fish does tho).

Take the 8 point game out if you are taking the 40 point games out :laughing:

atlbraves

serious question

Those games make up 2/7 (28%) of his playoffs so far, and it's not even like they were outrageous outliers either. He was scoring in the 20s and 30s anyway. There is no reason to take away those games from the equation.

Last edited:

Reel

Community Liaison
Those games make up 2/7 of his playoffs so far, and it's not even like they were outrageous outliers either. He was scoring in the 20s and 30s anyway. There is no reason to take away those games from the equation.

how many times has he scored 40+ tho?

Reel

Community Liaison
28% of the time.

idk if that is a legit number or if you pulled it out of your ass but lets go with that. Is it safe to assume that the ppg Fisher posted is more of a reality?

atlbraves

how many times has he scored 40+ tho?

In his 40-point playoff games, he attempted 28 and 31 field goals. In the five regular season games in which he took 28+ shots, he posted point totals of 29, 30, 32, 38, and 44. Is it a mild surprise that he would score 40 if he takes that many shots? Not really, no.

Reel

Community Liaison
In his 40-point playoff games, he attempted 28 and 31 field goals. In the five regular season games in which he took 28+ shots, he posted point totals of 29, 30, 32, 38, and 44. Is it a mild surprise that he would score 40 if he takes that many shots? Not really, no.

no

usnfish

In 69 games this season Aldridge averaged 23.2 PPG on 20.6 FGAs.

Me pointing out that he's averaging 24.4 PPG on 21.6 FGAs is small sample size theater doe... Yup.

NML

First off, comparing post season stats vs regular season is silly. It's a completely different game.

Secondly, you can't take out the high outliers and leave in the low. If you take out all of them, he's averaging 28 a game. I'll take that all day.

Of course, he also played those three games, so it seems ridiculous to not include them. In addition, he had two "great" outlier games versus one "bad", so even the 28/game isn't a fair representation.