• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2013-14 Premier League

WingedHelmet

Serious question: How are some of you guys Manchester City fans? I mean, if you've been supporting the team for years and won the lottery when the Qatari guys bought the team, then fair play to you.

But if you just started following over the past 5-7 years? I can't comprehend how one would choose them, or the Yankees, or the Lakers if given the choice of literally any other team. @Chase feel free to weigh in on this also.

Orangebird

Premier League Champs
Serious question: How are some of you guys Manchester City fans? I mean, if you've been supporting the team for years and won the lottery when the Qatari guys bought the team, then fair play to you.

But if you just started following over the past 5-7 years? I can't comprehend how one would choose them, or the Yankees, or the Lakers if given the choice of literally any other team. @Chase feel free to weigh in on this also.

Saw something about all of Balotelli's antics a couple years ago and then did my own research and realized he's actually a good player too so I began watching City games. I thought they had an interesting history (success in the 60's and 70's, the playoff win over Gillingham) and I also like how they're Man U's rival.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Saw something about all of Balotelli's antics a couple years ago and then did my own research and realized he's actually a good player too so I began watching City games. I thought they had an interesting history (success in the 60's and 70's, the playoff win over Gillingham) and I also like how they're Man U's rival.

How much of this research involved reading ESPN articles?

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer

I love an underdog story. The EPL had/s always been 3 or 4 teams at the top. Then City comes in, buys some of my favorite players (Silva after watching EURO 08, Yaya Toure after following Barca, Robinho, Kompany from following HSV) and I really got into it. It's funny because I am a Yankee fan too, so you'd think I would go straight for United (Come on, the NYY-NYM parallels are blatant), but nah. Never liked Man U. I did a FM run with Chelsea to try and pick a PL team but it never stuck and City came through in the end.

City are like the real life career mode dream team. Great youth development, and buying a bunch of all-star players. Edin Dzeko is the only one I don't like. Every summer they've bought more players that I follow throughout Soccer. Jovetic, Fernandinho, Navas, Negredo, James Milner (YEP FOUND HIM ON ESPN), Nasta, Balo, I could go on.

But honestly the "WHY DID YOU PICK YOUR TEAM AND WHY IS IT BECAUSE THEY'RE RICH ON OIL MONEY LOL" question is stupid. None of us other than Duke of Smugwich were born anywhere near inglerland, so we're all giant bandwagoners.

Chase

I was 12 when I really started following soccer.. the 1998 World Cup really piqued my interest. The next year I went on a family vacation to London and got a chance to see my first soccer game ever: Man United/Arsenal Charity Shield in what was probably the hottest day ever. I'm not sure if it was the fact that Man United lost or the fact that my dad was rooting for Arsenal that made me go the other way. Then I fell in love with David Beckham's flowing locks.

Orangebird

Premier League Champs
But honestly the "WHY DID YOU PICK YOUR TEAM AND WHY IS IT BECAUSE THEY'RE RICH ON OIL MONEY LOL" question is stupid. None of us other than Duke of Smugwich were born anywhere near inglerland, so we're all giant bandwagoners.

jon-stewart-colbert-bravo.gif

WingedHelmet

You love an underdog story yet support the team with the highest payroll in all of sports?

The "WHY DID YOU PICK YOUR TEAM AND WHY IS IT BECAUSE THEY'RE RICH ON OIL MONEY LOL" has nothing to do with supporting a team based on where you live and everything to do with bandwagoning the shit out of a team that spent £22 million on Stevan Jovetic and played him less than 600 minutes all season.

Might as well support Rick Santorum.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I dont care haha, Im a yankees fan, Im used to it. I like smaller budget teams in other leagues like HSV, Inter and Atletico too.

Orangebird

Premier League Champs
You love an underdog story yet support the team with the highest payroll in all of sports?

The "WHY DID YOU PICK YOUR TEAM AND WHY IS IT BECAUSE THEY'RE RICH ON OIL MONEY LOL" has nothing to do with supporting a team based on where you live and everything to do with bandwagoning the shit out of a team that spent £22 million on Stevan Jovetic and played him less than 600 minutes all season.

Might as well support Rick Santorum.

Jovetic couldn't play for three months due to injury btw.

WingedHelmet

Y'all can (obviously) support whomever you like. I'm just trying to wrap my head around how someone, with no location or family based affinity for them, would choose to support Manchester City.

United, Liverpool, Arsenal, and even to a lesser extent Chelsea, I can understand. Manchester City I cannot, especially when the reasoning is "I love an underdog story, and ohbytheway I also love the Yankees. And the Miami Hurricanes. And the team in the Champion's League Final."

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Then you will continue to not understand. This ismt the great gatsby, new money isnt evil. City and Atletico and HSV are underdogs and with City they have to go up against years of the top 4 reigning over english football. This is a team that was in the third tier not too recently.

But like I said, if it makes me an ignorant smugdog then i could care less but not that much less. Its the team I like amd thats it

bruin

Winged

I have no family in Kansas City. Have been there only once. So, I shouldn't be fan of the Chiefs?

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
I couldn't root for city because they seem like the beer softball league team that has ex MLB ringers or something.

I'm sure all of the city fans here were in the fucking tank for city when their best player was Adam Johnson

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Only reason i like fsu is cuz id rather not withdraw 140k in loans bc of my football fanship to go to miami, haha

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I'm on team Yankee...

In the end it just felt weird to randomly pick a team, so I didn't. Just root for whoever I want to as the season progresses. Was Norwich fan today, so happy.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
So that West Brom - Sunderland game mid-week will definitely be a 0-0 tie, right? That would officially save West Brom, and all but officially save Sunderland. Barring a 14 goal swing on the last day.

tab10

I was hoping the final day would provide more relegation drama, but alas, that's not the case this year.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I actually think it is incredibly appropriate for an American soccer fan who just started following the sport a few years ago to pick a team with little historic relevance or tradition but current success. I mean that way you aren't trying to ride the coattails of shit you never watched. You pick up the sport now right when the team is making history. If I did pick a team, it would be a new money team so I could thumb my nose at traditionalists, especially "traditionalists" who just started following the sport.

The thing that bums me out about Premier League Soccer is that unless you follow a top-4 team, there is a good chance the team you pick will rapidly become insignificant or be content to sit mid table and sell off all the players you liked. By not picking a specific team, I was able to enjoy watching Newcastle when they had that awesome run with Cisse/Ba scoring ridiculous goals a couple of years ago, or Tottenham with Bale/Modric without having to watch them drop back or sell off my favorite players to more wealthy clubs. Even upper tier teams like Tottenham and Arsenal seem content to sell off their superstar players and stay in constant rebuilding mode. Such fun to be Arsenal fan and watch ur team sell ur best player to Man U.