• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Southpaw Gon' Look Are you from PD looking for evidence on @brick, sir? The Miami Hurricanes Thread aka Baseless Rumors Corner

GR8 2 B FL G8R

Remembering Sean Taylor's Breakout Game

The article is broken down in a way that makes it difficult to cut and paste here, but it's worth the read.
There is a 95 ovr Sean Taylor you get after you play 500 solo challenges and throw for 80000 yds and do various other shit in MUT

Madden sucks his ghost dick every year for those wanting to relive his hit sticks

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

GuyIncognito

pressure cooker full of skittles
That game was about representative of where this team is.

I enjoyed seeing Richt go after the refs. I don't know that I've ever seen two tackles get so abused that they just start holding on every play and the refs feel too bad for them to throw any flags. If only Notre Dame's OTs had thought of that, they might have stayed in that game.

But there are major deficiencies on this team, in the secondary, on the OL, and at QB. All things considered, 10-3 is better than I (or anyone else) would have predicted, so whatever. There is a big silver lining to having your worst three games of the year on the last three weeks. Makes sure you don't forget that shit during spring.

fsuprime

GuyIncognito

I only really started noticing it this year (of course, Miami's DL hasn't been worth holding in a while and I don't religiously watch any other team), but yeah, it was bad.

I mean they literally could have thrown that flag 10+ times on whomever was blocking Trent Harris alone last night.

I seriously think the refs just get it in their heads that they either have to throw it every time or swallow it, and they're not willing to put up with the opposing coach's shit if they throw 18 holding flags in a game.

*Note: Miami deserved to lose that game and was outplayed by a fair margin. I just think this holding thing is bizarre.

fsuprime

I only really started noticing it this year (of course, Miami's DL hasn't been worth holding in a while and I don't religiously watch any other team), but yeah, it was bad.

I mean they literally could have thrown that flag 10+ times on whomever was blocking Trent Harris alone last night.

I seriously think the refs just get it in their heads that they either have to throw it every time or swallow it, and they're not willing to put up with the opposing coach's shit if they throw 18 holding flags in a game.

*Note: Miami deserved to lose that game and was outplayed by a fair margin. I just think this holding thing is bizarre.

http://www.sloansportsconference.co.../SSAC15-RP-Poster-Paper-Referee-Analytics.pdf

link to the paper

coogrfan

I am surprised the contract doesn't have a natural disaster clause.
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/acc/university-of-miami/article199722524.html

Note that the original game contract has a “Force Majeure’’ provision that says: “This contract shall be void with respect to any of the games in the event that it becomes impossible to play such game(s) by reason of an unforeseen catastrophe or disaster such as fire, flood, earthquake, war, epidemic, confiscation, by order of government, military or public authority or prohibitory or injunctive orders of any competent judicial or other government authority. Notice of such catastrophe or disaster shall be given as soon as possible.’’

However, ASU’s Monday letter to UM stated UM football coach Mark Richt telling reporters in Orlando, where the team mobilized to practice for six days while its campus was off limits, “Could we have snuck out just in time to play that game? We could have, logistically…’’

But Richt also told reporters, “Our number one goal was the safety of everybody. That’s why we made the decision early not to play the game…The thing that was kind of the deciding factor for me was, I didn’t want to have a team in Memphis or Arkansas while all heck is breaking loose with everybody’s family. I didn’t want my players to look at me like, ‘Coach, why are we here? What are we doing here?’

“I said, ‘That’s it. We’re out. Let’s break camp early. Let’s let everybody make arrangements.’’’

GuyIncognito

How anybody reads that and concludes there is any merit at all to this lawsuit is beyond me.

At any rate, Alabama poached our DL coach. That's a big loss.

coogrfan

How anybody reads that and concludes there is any merit at all to this lawsuit is beyond me.

I suppose that would depend on how you define "impossible". I understand Richt's point, but the fact that he said it was logistically possible doesn't help UM's case, imho.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I guess Arkansas State doesn't care about getting a pay day from any other power 5 schools at this point.

GuyIncognito

I don't think it's of any legal relevance at all. I don't think "impossible" is limited to "logistically impossible."

To say that Richt cancelling because he didn't want his players to be away from home when a hurricane smashed their families is him admitting that it was possible to play is just, IDK.

Fuck them and fuck their money.

coogrfan

I don't think it's of any legal relevance at all. I don't think "impossible" is limited to "logistically impossible."

To say that Richt cancelling because he didn't want his players to be away from home when a hurricane smashed their families is him admitting that it was possible to play is just, IDK.

Fuck them and fuck their money.

I'm sincere when I say I understand Richt's point; we cancelled our season opener at UTSA for the exact same reason. I just think that, given UM's unwillingness to reschedule the game prior to 2024-25, the right thing to do here is pay ASU and move on.

GuyIncognito

I think the right thing is for ASU to eat shit. If they didn't want to risk losing the game to a hurricane then they should have bargained for that in the contract.

Instead they agreed to a contract that *explicitly* contains a hurricane provision, and now they want to renege.

Now, instead of admitting they fucked up the contract, they want to sue us and ensure that everyone else in the country gets skeptical about agreeing to play them as well.

GuyIncognito

How so? $650k isn't a big deal to a P5; for ASU it's the difference between having an athletic dept and not having one.

Because the more litigious they get about it, the less likely teams are to keep paying to float their program.

If they can't be counted on to abide by the terms of the contracts they sign, then why contract with them? There are plenty of other creampuffs in the world. Why does anyone need to play Arkansas State?

coogrfan

I think the right thing is for ASU to eat shit. If they didn't want to risk losing the game to a hurricane then they should have bargained for that in the contract.

Instead they agreed to a contract that *explicitly* contains a hurricane provision, and now they want to renege.

Now, instead of admitting they fucked up the contract, they want to sue us and ensure that everyone else in the country gets skeptical about agreeing to play them as well.

Your own coach said it was possible for his team to play the game and get back before the hurricane hit. Maybe you're using some definition of "impossible" that I'm not aware of?

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Crappy take. They were putting up plywood and filling sandbags.

The idea that 650K should be treated like a rounding error is funny also.

GuyIncognito

Your own coach said it was possible for his team to play the game and get back before the hurricane hit. Maybe you're using some definition of "impossible" that I'm not aware of?

It was "possible" for him to keep his players away from their families in the midst of a natural disaster. If ASU thinks that's going to play to a jury then bring it on.

And yeah, Miami isn't exactly rolling in wealth either. $650,000 is not a joke to this program.

GuyIncognito

We don't owe liquidated damages under the contract because the contract explicitly provided for cancellation due to hurricane.

coogrfan

We don't owe liquidated damages under the contract because the contract explicitly provided for cancellation due to hurricane.

The contract provided for cancellation without compensation in the event that something made it impossible to play the game. The fact that three FBS teams from GA/FL managed to play that weekend would seem to indicate that it wasn't impossible.

GuyIncognito

If any part of this bothers me, it's Miami scheduling away games against these janky ass teams. When we went to Appalachian State a couple years ago I checked, and at that point the biggest program that had ever played in that stadium was Troy.

I don't know what our angle is scheduling these games on the road.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Schedules usually are made several years in advance, so this predates Richt, I'm sure. But yeah, it does not usually make sense for a big program to do a home-and-home against very small, impoverished programs.

Unless the goal was to recruit more in Arkansas? :dunno: Seems funny when a school from Miami can probably stock their program completely by drawing a circle with a 25-mile radius around their campus and exclusively recruit from there.