• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2016-17 NBA Season: no IT ITT

Tailback U

Cavs played about as bad as they could have and warriors played about as good,

Annoyed we gotta wait until Sunday night. Lame asses.

Tailback U

Why is KD in the last two minutes of a 21 point blowout lmao

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if he told them he wants to stay in. You know he wants that MVP award too as a f u to everyone.

Van Gundy did bring up a decent point. Who is the 3rd best small forward after LeBron and Bird? I don't even know what defines a small forward. Barkley? Moses Malone? Shawn Kemp?

kingssc

Well Klay and Draymong managed to go 6/27 and they still won by 20.

With how much the Warriors throw the ball around the fact they only had 4 turnovers is either really lucky or the Cavs defense is just really shitty outside of Lebron

Tailback U

With how much the Warriors throw the ball around the fact they only had 4 turnovers is either really lucky or the Cavs defense is just really shitty outside of Lebron
Cavs d was too concerned with taking away the 3 instead of challenging it.

Only way to beat the warriors is by making them make tough shots (derp).

Warriors didn't even shoot the ball that well, they just got a lot of easy baskets, especially in that 3rd quarter. They actually missed quite a few layups as well.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Steph gon poop on you

tumblr_mfbjqm4yyd1qc7ufno3_1280.png

evil1

This. Klay and Draymond shoot 6 for 28 and Golden State still wins by 20? GS scores 113 pts with only 4 turnovers? Of all of the incredible stats GS has put up the last few years, this game with 4 turnovers may be the most obscene.

Part of this is because Durant and Curry are really good at the game of basketball. But part of this is because of Cleveland's lack of defense. They were a horrible defensive team during the regular season but had people believing they had turned the switch because they beat down some one dimensional offensive teams in the playoffs.

LeBron is still the best player on the court but the difference between LeBron and Durant may be smaller than people thought.

sayo

YEET
No way the warriors played their best. Durant probably did but they didn't get shit from Draymond or Klay on offense.

Tailback U

It's crazy how much scarier Curry/Durant pick and roll is than RUSS/Durant.

Curry is just a much better passer and shooter.

I don't buy last nights game as how the series will go. The Cavs will make adjustments. They just need to get back on defense and stop turning the ball over. It was only an 8 point game at halftime and the Cavs weren't playing well at all. All they need to do is turn the ball over less, force the Warriors to turn the ball over some more, and cut back on the dunks and they can keep up.

People had this type of overreaction last year too after games 1 and 2.

Also Tristan Thompson was invisible last night. Love played hard, I wonder how many games he can keep up that kind of effort for before he breaks or fades away.

Last edited:

evil1

Part of the effectiveness of the Curry/Durant pick and roll is that they are surrounded by capable three point shooters (it is an understatement to say that RUSS/Durant were not surrounded by good 3pt shooters in OKC). As a result, it is harder on the defense to help on the pick and roll.

I'm not sure what adjustments the Cavs will be able to make. They are not a particularly fast team, especially with Love and Thompson in at the same time. As a result, they are often a step slow on defensive rotations against teams that know how to move the ball around, and their transition defense was among the worst in the NBA.

One thing Cleveland can do is reduce the number of turnovers which will limit Golden State's fast break opportunities. I think it is fair to say that Cleveland will have fewer turnovers per game going forward and Golden State will have 4-5 more per game. But that alone won't be enough to swing the tide.

In game 1, Cleveland emphasized guarding the three point line which opened up driving lanes to the rim. Cleveland actually lucked out in that Golden State missed 15 point blank shots, but unlucky for them Durant was not having any of that. I think Cleveland has to gamble and shut down the driving lanes and hope that whoever they leave open stays cold on the outside. Alternatively, they could spend more time going small with LeBron at the 4 (sitting Love or Thompson).

sayo

YEET
Yeah, love can't play if he's not taking advantage of mismatches on offense. The positive just isn't there since he's so limited on defense. May as well have him come off the bench and play when curry/Durant aren't in.

evil1

Love did have 15 pts and 21 rebs. But I agree that I don't think they can have Love and Thompson play at the same time unless Thompson is able to somewhat guard Durant.

sayo

YEET
If he plays, he has to punish on those switches. He got Thompson on a switch in the first couple minutes and got stood up and forced an air ball. Dude has to go to work in that position.

wolverine318

Mod Alumni
It's crazy how much scarier Curry/Durant pick and roll is than RUSS/Durant.

Curry is just a much better passer and shooter.

I don't buy last nights game as how the series will go. The Cavs will make adjustments. They just need to get back on defense and stop turning the ball over. It was only an 8 point game at halftime and the Cavs weren't playing well at all. All they need to do is turn the ball over less, force the Warriors to turn the ball over some more, and cut back on the dunks and they can keep up.

People had this type of overreaction last year too after games 1 and 2.

Also Tristan Thompson was invisible last night. Love played hard, I wonder how many games he can keep up that kind of effort for before he breaks or fades away.

Yeah and game 2 they won by like 30 last year. Then CLE won by 30 in game 3. None of it really matters. IMO both teams offenses are good enough that if the other has an very off night the score will get ugly. CLE isn't beating many teams shooting 35% with 20 turnovers.

Thompson was awful, and pretty much though any hustle/effort type of situation GS beat the Cavs in. If I recall correctly last year when the Cavs won they won the offensive boards, they slowed the game down and kept GS to under 100. At least that is how it felt. TT needs to show up, Cavs need to make it a half court game as much as possible, and get 2nd chances on offense. And of course not turn the ball over.

I still thing GS wins it all but I'd still be shocked if the Cavs don't win a couple of games.

evil1

Maybe the biggest surprise from the first two games is that Durant has been the best defensive player on either side.

Bucksin04

- Tristan Thompson being a complete non-factor is absolutely stunning to me.
- Kyrie being absolutely awful is mildly shocking.
- JR disappearing (scored the first 3 points of Game 1, has not scored since) is an absolute backbreaker.
- LeBron has been LeBron, Love has been surprisingly playable

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
- Tristan Thompson being a complete non-factor is absolutely stunning to me.
- Kyrie being absolutely awful is mildly shocking.
- JR disappearing (scored the first 3 points of Game 1, has not scored since) is an absolute backbreaker.
- LeBron has been LeBron, Love has been surprisingly playable

I knew Klay Thompson was a good defender, but I didn't know he was this good. He keeps Kyrie in front of him and makes him take tougher shots than he is accustomed to taking. Durant has really stepped up his defense as well. 5 blocked shots last night and he is all over the defensive boards.

Skeeter

Uber felon
Is there any other sport where the title is decided before the first game is played? Like really decided, not just in the minds of bammer fans?

We knew preseason that golden state would beat Cleveland in the finals.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
NBA really is the most fickle sport

DURANT NOW THE BEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD, LEBRON IS DEAD

After Kyrie lit up the worst #1 seed in sports history we were told HE WAS THE BEST WINGMAN in history - better than Pippen.

evil1

Tristan Thompson not playing well is a direct result of replacing Harrison Barnes with Kevin Durant. Last year, Cleveland could play Thompson because Barnes wasn't good enough to take advantage of any mismatches. With Durant, it is hard to see how Cleveland plays Thompson and Love at the same time for long periods of time.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
I watched the Intern starring Robert Dineero and Anne hathchwway last night. Then when the movie ended my tv was on bar rescue and Jon taffer was yelling at someone as per usual. Then around 11:30 I realized "Thur is finals game 2nite." Tried to flip to and it was over.

Came to nutopia and no one had posted anything.

These fuckers can't get off the ~20 point margins so Apparently i missed nothing.

Wuf

Desensitized and Willing
I watched the Intern starring Robert Dineero and Anne hathchwway last night. Then when the movie ended my tv was on bar rescue and Jon taffer was yelling at someone as per usual. Then around 11:30 I realized "Thur is finals game 2nite." Tried to flip to and it was over.

Came to nutopia and no one had posted anything.

These fuckers can't get off the ~20 point margins so Apparently i missed nothing.

First half was pretty entertaining but it was obvious to me that the Warriors had way too much firepower and would pull away eventually.