• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Pac-12 Thread

Bdub

Haha. Your hard-on for SC and UCLA is amusing every year. :laughing:
SC and their complete waste of talent is amusing. They have had more talent then every team in the pac 12 for decades and since Carroll left they have done nothing but disappoint.

Last edited:

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
srhtgyfhtqtjciwrdqm0.png

JAR201166

He must have been talking about his defense idk I'm watching wazzu right now an see a lot of heart for the offense but wazzu ain't gonna do better then pirate

Brick

rewatched the offensive possessions in the nebraska game. the offense played great. they didn't miss freeman at rb (336 yards, 7.15 ypc) and prukop made plenty of plays under pressure. no turnovers on the road. prukop made so many good reads in the run game and that opened up huge gains. he's gonna have a huge year. very smart and calm.

he had nelson streaking to the end zone on that last drive and had a lot of time to throw (just like adams had against msu last year), or he could have tucked it and ran and had a huge gain to get in field goal range. if he would have set his feet it could have been a pretty easy touchdown pass. that was a critical miss of course, but he put them in that position to have a chance to win.

reminds me of the michigan state game from last year a lot. really no shame in how they played. the defense held nebraska to 428 yards on 5.22 ypp which is not horrible considering how young they are and a new scheme. they were one play away from basically ending it on 4th and 8 on that last armstrong drive. i felt like they set out to make armstrong win the game by hisself for nebraska, and he did that.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Unless he's figured something new out, I wouldn't have high hopes for Hoke containing a running QB. He will be great for all those pro style teams that Oregon plays, though.

Skeeter

Uber felon
complete ass whipping. Furd looked like Walt Harris back on the sidelines.

@JessePalmer only reason furd losing is they aren't playing furd ball.

fsuprime

Furds corners were not going to be able to contain uw wrs all night, uw shut down the offense for entire second half.

Brick

not a single notable publication even picked oregon to win the north. even if you think oregon is on the downswing, which is understandable, that's pretty amazing in my opinion. oregon could have the best collection of skill players in the country. prukop would have to be significantly worse than expected to mess the offense up. oregon won every full game adams played but michigan state, and they almost pulled it off when he was clearly hurt. lockie/alie (walk-on) are not D1-A talents. the defense was horrible and at the very least should be just as bad. no idea the impact hoke will make i can see the ducks losing 4 games again, but it's insane that a team with this much talent isn't picked to win the division by anyone. they've beaten stanford 2 years in a row and washington i think 13? they also miss UCLA, who is the south's #1 team via the same publications.

View attachment 3127
keyboard_cat.gif

Brick

The run game has been a lot of fun to watch and consistently great. Other than that, pretty shitty. Oregon is dead last in the country in yards allowed. Total defense:

Capture.PNG

bruin

Honestly, Bradley has done a pretty good job with the defense this year. Can't complain. Now the WR's and running game are the biggest joke this program has seen in a while

Brick

I love all the media people who are critical of Oregon possibly firing Helfrich. U CANT START FIRING AND ROTATING CORCHES NO ONE WILL WANT TO COME. Oregon hasn't fired a coach since 1976. Chill. I think they're making the wrong point. To me unless Oregon totally implodes and finishes 4-8, which is possible, they shouldn't consider firing him (until this season he was 22-5 in Pac-12 play). Chip Kelly's success was insane. Give him one more year unless you're sure the perfect candidate is out there.

Last edited:

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
They shouldn't fire Helfrich because they'd likely get a worse coach in his place. LSU is looking for a new coach. Texas probably will be, too. Then you have schools like Notre Dame, USC, and UCLA that might fire their coaches, too. You have Tom Herman as an obvious candidate, but he's not going to Oregon over LSU or Texas. Any of the other schools, besides maybe UCLA, is a more alluring job than Oregon. I don't think there's a Harbaugh sitting out there that would be perfect for Oregon, I guess unless Chip Kelly gets fired. So you're looking at maybe getting the 5th best choice of the coaches available.

I think I've said here that I think Helfrich might be Oregon's Larry Coker. It seems like he was lucky to have Mariota his first two years. The fact that he's had to rely on 1-AA transfers at QB does not speak well for him. He's had 4 years to develop a quarterback, and they've got crap. You'd think Oregon would be able to attract some pretty damn QBs with that system. They should have a Sophomore or Junior at QB who is ready to play. Aren't they now starting a freshman at QB? That's pretty damning.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Those two paragraphs are contradicting as all hell.

Miami didn't get any better after Larry Coker left, though. Even if Helfrich really is a shitty coach, there's a decent chance Oregon doesn't get anyone better than him.

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
Miami didn't get any better after Larry Coker left, though. Even if Helfrich really is a shitty coach, there's a decent chance Oregon doesn't get anyone better than him.
Well it is about hiring the right coach. Maybe hiring the defensive coordinator of the shit-show that got Coker fired probably wasnt the best idea. Same goes if Oregon fires Helfrich for Hoke or that Beetlejuice looking mofo they had last year.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Well it is about hiring the right coach. Maybe hiring the defensive coordinator of the shit-show that got Coker fired probably wasnt the best idea. Same goes if Oregon fires Helfrich for Hoke or that Beetlejuice looking mofo they had last year.

So it's just as simple as hiring the right coach? Why does nobody ever think of that? You should probably let Florida, USC, Michigan, Notre Dame, Tennessee, etc. know about that.

Brick

I think I've said here that I think Helfrich might be Oregon's Larry Coker. It seems like he was lucky to have Mariota his first two years. The fact that he's had to rely on 1-AA transfers at QB does not speak well for him. He's had 4 years to develop a quarterback, and they've got crap. You'd think Oregon would be able to attract some pretty damn QBs with that system. They should have a Sophomore or Junior at QB who is ready to play. Aren't they now starting a freshman at QB? That's pretty damning.
He wasn't lucky to have Mariota. Helfrich had to convince Kelly to sign him. Oregon signed some highly rated QB prospects, but they all left (Mariota was a RSFr when he took over the job). It's up to Helfrich to retain them, sure, but you could see why some weren't willing to wait around.

The main mistake: I think he made a horrible choice in making Lockie the backup the past two years when he could have let one of the younger guys get a shot and maybe they could have stuck around. Lockie never ever EVER looked good on the field, and there were two guys behind him last year that should have been given a shot. If I was behind Lockie, I wouldn't have any hope that I'd play again given how terribly Lockie performed. This year he isn't even on the QB depth chart. I don't know if it was loyalty keeping him around or what. Or maybe he was the best practice player in football history. No other explanation.

Vernon Adams made sense last year because he thought Oregon had a chance at the playoff with the existing roster. Oregon only lost one game (Michigan State) when Adams played a full game. You saw what happened when he left the Utah and TCU games.

I don't understand why they took Prukop this year, but he was not the problem. He played well and there has been no problem with the offense this year. The freshman looked really good Saturday, so hopefully he's the guy now.

Brick

They shouldn't fire Helfrich because they'd likely get a worse coach in his place. LSU is looking for a new coach. Texas probably will be, too. Then you have schools like Notre Dame, USC, and UCLA that might fire their coaches, too. You have Tom Herman as an obvious candidate, but he's not going to Oregon over LSU or Texas. Any of the other schools, besides maybe UCLA, is a more alluring job than Oregon. I don't think there's a Harbaugh sitting out there that would be perfect for Oregon, I guess unless Chip Kelly gets fired. So you're looking at maybe getting the 5th best choice of the coaches available.
to me that's always a bad choice to base your decision on unless you're a big time program. good coaches come out of nowhere all the time, and up-and-coming guys bust frequently. there's not a clear pecking order outside of herman. i mean shit DABO had to be at face value one of the least likely corches to succeed ever. herman was OC at iowa state a few years ago. look at hoke, charlie strong, etc. there are only a few "sure thing" corches out there. i don't think job desirability is a big factor. have to find the right guy at the right time.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
He wasn't lucky to have Mariota. Helfrich had to convince Kelly to sign him. Oregon signed some highly rated QB prospects, but they all left (Mariota was a RSFr when he took over the job). It's up to Helfrich to retain them, sure, but you could see why some weren't willing to wait around.

The main mistake: I think he made a horrible choice in making Lockie the backup the past two years when he could have let one of the younger guys get a shot and maybe they could have stuck around. Lockie never ever EVER looked good on the field, and there were two guys behind him last year that should have been given a shot. If I was behind Lockie, I wouldn't have any hope that I'd play again given how terribly Lockie performed. This year he isn't even on the QB depth chart. I don't know if it was loyalty keeping him around or what. Or maybe he was the best practice player in football history. No other explanation.

Vernon Adams made sense last year because he thought Oregon had a chance at the playoff with the existing roster. Oregon only lost one game (Michigan State) when Adams played a full game. You saw what happened when he left the Utah and TCU games.

I don't understand why they took Prukop this year, but he was not the problem. He played well and there has been no problem with the offense this year. The freshman looked really good Saturday, so hopefully he's the guy now.

Yeah, the problem is not recruiting a QB or two in 2013 or 2014 who could take over from Mariota. Maybe Adams is a good one year stop gap, but you'd really expect a highly rated second year player to be pushing for playing time either this year or last year. You have to plan for QB transfers, and the fact that that guy doesn't exist is a mark on Helfrich's recruiting and/or development at QB.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
to me that's always a bad choice to base your decision on unless you're a big time program. good coaches come out of nowhere all the time, and up-and-coming guys bust frequently. there's not a clear pecking order outside of herman. i mean shit DABO had to be at face value one of the least likely corches to succeed ever. herman was OC at iowa state a few years ago. look at hoke, charlie strong, etc. there are only a few "sure thing" corches out there. i don't think job desirability is a big factor. have to find the right guy at the right time.

I totally agree, but you're also trading a guy who had back to back top 10 finishes and a playoff appearance for a wild card. If Helfrich is bad next year (or if he finishes 2-10 or something I suppose), that's probably a good risk to take. But let's say Helfrich has Oregon at a consistent 8-9 win team, with the occasional playoff run. Is that better than taking a chance on a wild card?

Brick

I totally agree, but you're also trading a guy who had back to back top 10 finishes and a playoff appearance for a wild card. If Helfrich is bad next year (or if he finishes 2-10 or something I suppose), that's probably a good risk to take. But let's say Helfrich has Oregon at a consistent 8-9 win team, with the occasional playoff run. Is that better than taking a chance on a wild card?
Yes.

Brick

Scott Frost? Probably too soon.
too late for corch pete, too early for frost. really doubt chip kelly would go back to oregon if better choices are available, unless he really likes the place/culture. he's done in the nfl when the 49rs him, though. not going to get the NASHNUL corch carousel of losers treatment. he's the johnson/stein of the footbaw league.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Oregon's QB situation is not really the problem. They're still top 20 in total offense (they should be a lot better with their skill talent, though). It's that Helfrich thought hiring a guy who had never been a DC before and pairing him with bad defensive talent was a good idea in the Pac-12.

Brick

agree about being better with the skill talent at receiver. running backs have been great. i think the oline is hurting the pass game. four RSFr are starting.