• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Southpaw Gon' Look Are you from PD looking for evidence on @brick, sir? The Miami Hurricanes Thread aka Baseless Rumors Corner

GuyIncognito

pressure cooker full of skittles
Once again, I think the entitlement from the cheap seats is staggering. You guys going to pay Golden's buyout and hire some NFL coach for $5 million a year?

If the alternative is Lane Kiffin, I'll take Cristobal all day.

PSUEagle

C'mon man, that's a straw man argument and you know it.

No one's saying that Miami should replace Golden with an expensive name brand coach: they've never gone that route in their history and they probably can't afford to anyway. What they should do is look for young up and comers like Justin Fuente (@bruin), Tom Herman, Mark Hudspeth, etc. X&O's guys that can coach and develop, not glorified used car salemen.

Cristobal's crowning achievement at FIU is winning the Little Caesar's Pizza Bowl. He also went 3-9 his last year with the conference's most talented team and preseason favorite. Sounds a lot like Al Golden when he failed to even win his division despite having the MAC's most talented team his last two years.

CJ_24

I listened to the folks on the Lebatard show rant about the state of the program. The best part of the segment (as it usually is) was stugotz, after gasbagging for 10 minutes, admitting that he didn't actually watch the game.
Sports radio at its finest.

GuyIncognito

What was Butch Davis' claim to fame before he got the Miami job and turned in a few of the best teams in the history of the game? What did he pioneer?

And who were his amazing coordinators on those teams? His amazing assistants? Guys like Larry Coker, Greg Schiano, Randy Shannon, i.e. people that the Miami "fan"base now considers dreadful incompetents.

So I just don't think there's any rhyme or reason to this. Sure, maybe you hire an up and comer and he either excels for flames out. I'll take Lincoln Riley. Fine. Maybe we'll score 65 points a game with him. Or maybe he'll have two good years and leave for Texas. Or we can get a guy who's a great recruiter who puts a premium on the program and give him the chance to bring in coordinators to do the leg work.

But everyone acting like the recipe for success is so obvious is just talking out of their ass. For every Art Briles there are a dozen Dan Hawkins. It's not so simple, and I don't understand why anyone thinks Miami can compete with top programs who can double or triple our offers when it comes to staff.

When you become T Boone Pickens or Phil Knight and we can just start buying whatever we want, then the game changes a bit.

Wooly

Absolutely spot on Mak. No one really knows, or they would all be making good hires. Hell, we don't even know if a coach is actually that bad when he loses and gets fired. For all we know someone else might have had the same fate in the same situation.

My favorite is all the "coordinator" talk these days. It's just another way for some football fan to spout off about what he "knows". Ten years ago, people were not talking about coordinators, and they are just as much an unknown as they have ever been.

Brick

People who knew what they were watching were talking about coordinators 10 years ago.

Wolfman21

whether i know anything or not, I've watched NC State play my entire life and that includes the last 2+ years of Matt Canada being OC. And i'll tell you what......he sucked something hard yesterday.

GuyIncognito

Strong is just Randy Shannon all over again, without the attachment to the school. Can't handle the press, can't represent the program.

My point is it's a crapshoot unless you have the big money to throw around. And if we're just going to be drawing names out of hats, I prefer someone like Cristobal who knows the program, won't gut the coaching staff, can recruit Miami, and has spent the last few years coaching at one of the best programs in the country.

Maybe I'm biased, but I think we have two problems and only two problems: the guys calling the plays and the guy making the game management decisions. I don't want someone who's going to tear the program down to the foundation and start over, only to either suck ass and stay 5 years or be good and stay 2.

Miami doesn't need a bunch of gimmicky crap to field a competitive football team. We never have needed that. I can be convinced on a mad scientist (I lobbied for Leach before Golden was hired), but I don't think it's a must.

Wooly

People who knew what they were watching were talking about coordinators 10 years ago.
Coordinators and HC are in the same boat, the vast majority of the time no one really knows how good or bad they will be. People still talk like they know though. Now it's common for everyone to talk about coordinators just like everyone used to talk about HC. It's mostly crap, something people do to look smart.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
I will say if you want to test your acumen at spotting a terrible coordinator, tune into the dumpster fire that is the Lions offense tonight for MNF.

I think Joe Lombardi calls plays by using a magic 8 ball. The play design is pretty woeful as well.

GuyIncognito

Mak should send in his resume, he couldn't do any worse than Golden has.

lol.

The crux of the issue (and it came out even a little from the announcers today) is that you have an administration at the school that pretty much seems content with a football team that just doesn't get in trouble. And it's not clear that they rate Golden as poorly as everyone who cares about football does. His kids graduate and they never get in trouble.

We don't have T Boone Pickens. If it was up to the ex-players, Golden would have been gone years ago. Instead they extended him when I have to believe the competition for his services was nil. Some people in power really like the program the guy runs or this would be the easiest decision ever.

And so I have a concern that even if they fire him they're not going to be looking for the right characteristics in the next coach, but we'll see.

I have to believe that even within the confines of the current administration, "worst loss in the history of the program" should mean something. Especially with so much talent on the roster.

GuyIncognito

12186725_1246115412073965_4740045332173080648_o.jpg

GuyIncognito

Well, we have some inherent recruiting advantages no matter how shitty the program gets, which wasn't the case for SMU. Every year there is a surplus of future NFL talent graduating within a few miles of the campus, and nobody for hundreds of miles to compete with for it. The location, the school, and the local talent are always going to have the program within striking distance I feel like.

But you need an administration that rates winning more highly than a squeaky clean image.

I would guess that probably nowhere in the country is there a bigger disconnect between what the supporters want and what the administration wants. Miami fans (and players) want The U Part 3; the administration would rather abolish football than have that again.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Mak, what are your thoughts on the stadium issue? I guess mainly do you think playing 40 minutes away from campus has an effect on the team's performance?

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
lol @ squeaky clean. Come on. It's an embarrassment to the university. CANES TALK SHIT GET STOMPED IN WORST LOSS IN HISTORY is the headline.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
I'd say it kills recruiting.
You;d think that, but Golden has had a couple top 15 recruiting classes, supposedly has a top 10 class this year.

My thought is that you have no built in fan base. Students aren't going to drive an hour to go to games. I know Rutgers played a lot of games in the 80s and early 90s at Giants Stadium and if that was today I would have no desire to go there. You need that dynamic student fan base for energy.

Wooly

Miami doesn't have enough students to have a sizable student section. That is what large state schools can do.

GuyIncognito

Mak, what are your thoughts on the stadium issue? I guess mainly do you think playing 40 minutes away from campus has an effect on the team's performance?

Well I think that's way down the totem pole of problems with the team's performance, but I do think it has a real effect on the program as a whole, especially recruiting. The OB was a special case. People want to say it was a dump, but it was our dump, and you felt different walking around that place than you do at Sun Life. It's just a sterile atmosphere. The stands are too far from the field, it's plainly an NFL stadium, and the fucking thing is 45 minutes from campus depending on traffic. It's out in a field in Miami Gardens. The OB was right in the middle of Little Havana, right in people's backyards. It was a landmark.

So, then, the problem is that even ditching Sun Life doesn't solve all the problems, because the OB isn't there anymore. But we have to get out of this shitshow. I think most people are hoping Beckham's soccer stadium idea can come through and move us more into the city and into a 40/50,000 seat stadium in town. That seems like the best solution to me. Anything would be better than Sun Life.

Miami doesn't have enough students to have a sizable student section. That is what large state schools can do.

That's true, but the stadium situation exacerbates it by making it a horrible pain in the ass for students to get to the game, and no fun to be at the game.

South Florida is notorious for its fans' commitment to teams, and for all intents and purposes Miami Football is treated like a pro team. It's pretty much (unless I'm forgetting somebody obvious) the only college team that solely represents a major US city the way pro teams do. So bad Miami teams are always going to play in front of empty stadiums because that's just how it is down there.

But when the stadium was more accessible to the community, it didn't seem to be nearly as big a problem. Miami Gardens ain't Little Havana.

GuyIncognito

Seems like a pretty realistic list to me, except Butch. I'd love it, but I can't imagine the administration is going to give a second's thought to hiring Butch after what happened at UNC, despite the fact he's apparently been lobbying for the job and is a clear favorite of the irate base (both of fans and ex players).

If Blake James is serious about letting Golden finish the season before even announcing a coaching search, then I would guess the outside hire picks will have been snagged by someone bigger by then.

So then you're left with the program guys, among whom I've favored Cristobal all along (excepting Butch and Jimmy Johnson).

*Plus, it seems like James has a hard-on for not being seen as caving to fan pressure (it's good to show contempt for your fans), which makes Butch even less likely IMO.

If Golden is let go, here are a few candidates that would make sense for UM to consider (in alphabetical order):

Chudzinski

Rob Chudzinski, associate head coach, Indianapolis Colts: If Indy fires Chuck Pagano (another former Cane; he coached defensive backs from 1995-2000), the 2014 UM Sports Hall of Famer could come home. The 47-year-old’s head coaching resume is not long – he was fired by the Cleveland Browns after one season, 2013 – but has plenty of experience at UM (player 1986-90, graduate assistant 1994-95, tight ends 1996-2000, offensive coordinator 2001-03). He remains very popular among his contemporaries and could potentially bring in a who’s-who of assistants from several eras. (Pagano is an interesting name to consider as well.)

Cristobal

Mario Cristobal, offensive line coach, Alabama: A favorite of UM alum and Fox Sports writer Bruce Feldman, who says he’s the “most viable option,” The 45-year-old won two titles as an offensive lineman at Miami (1989-92). Developed a reputation as a strong South Florida recruiter when he took FIU (0-12 the year before he took over) to its first winning season (7-6 in 2010) and Sun Belt Conference championship. Was fired in 2012 after going 3-9 – a move some saw as an overreaction by AD Pete Garcia. It left him with a 27-47 mark. He was hired by Golden in Jan. 2013 as tight ends coach and associate head coach, but left for Alabama six weeks later. (Feldman, by the way, admits Jimmy Johnson is his pipe-dream candidate).

Davis

Butch Davis, longtime college coach and current ESPN analyst: Few, if any, potential candidates would have the resume of Davis, who was UM’s defensive line coach under Jimmy Johnson (1984-88), followed him to the NFL’s Dallas Cowboys and returned to resurrect the Hurricanes from the nadir of NCAA trouble. He was 51-20 at UM from 1995-2000. Larry Coker guided the 2001 Hurricanes — the team Davis constructed — to one of the greatest seasons in college football history. Potential negatives are his age (63) and the way his four-year tenure ended at North Carolina (fired in 2011 amid NCAA scandal; Davis was never mentioned or implicated). Seems to have the most fan support, and those close to Davis say he would be interested in returning.

Fuente

Justin Fuente or Tom Herman, Hot Young Coaches Du Jour: Fuente, 39, who makes $1.4 million annually at Memphis, is due a major raise after going 17-3 in his last 20 games. Herman, 40, who has Houston (7-0) rolling in his first season, earns $1.35 million this season. Both will be considered by any major school looking for a coach. As of Saturday, that list includes four major programs (USC, Illinois, South Carolina and Maryland). By the end of the season, Miami could be joined by Virginia, Virginia Tech, Purdue, Rutgers or others. Another hot young name: after the Golden era, would UM go for another MAC success story like Toledo’s Matt Campbell (35, and making $495,000)?

Schiano

Greg Schiano, former college and NFL coach: Hasn’t coached since he was fired by the Tampa Bay Buccanaeers in 2013. Spent two seasons (1999-2000) under Davis as Miami’s defensive coordinator, during which UM was ranked 12th and fifth in points per game. Spent the next 11 seasons at Rutgers. The 49-year-old has expressed interest in returning to Miami, according to sources close to him. Has a gruff, no-nonsense manner that doesn’t always play well. Has admitted he could improve his personality, which would help him fundraise and such things a coach at a small, private school must do.

Stoops

Mark Stoops, Kentucky coach: A promising 4-2 in Lexington (entering Saturday) after going 7-17 in his first two seasons. Stoops left a job as Florida State’s defensive coordinator, where he had been since 2009, to coach UK. Would the 48-year-old return to Coral Gables, where he was defensive backs coach under Larry Coker from 2001-03? A person close to Stoops said he still has property in the area and would likely consider the job if offered. One of the better South Florida recruiters on this list. Would UM, which pays Golden $2.54 million per year, pay him at least the $3.25 million he makes at Kentucky?

http://caneswatch.blog.palmbeachpos...?ecmp=pbp_social_hurricanes_facebook_2015_sfp

Last edited:

Keith1212

Al Golden has been fired. Now the school has to not hire Mario Cristobal or anyone that's been associated with this shitfest program for the past 15 years I'd say. Scorched Earth. Start the program from scratch. Get rid of Coley, Swasey, Kehoe and the rest. Maybe after all of that, Miami can actually compete at a decent level again.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I have less than zero expectations for the hire, here's hoping the dice roll gives us a Jimmy and not a Randy