• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2044 Off-Season Thread (GET YOUR ST ROSTERS READY)

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
No I definitely understand how it all pieces together. Revenue over expenses, not budget, is profit.
Cash is a overall thing thougj it isnt a yearly deal with ootp, he makes a profit and whatever he makes over budget for one year cuts into the cash. It looks like what youre saying but thats not really how ootp treats it

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
This is all correct, he'll make up that deficit quick with $65M payroll too. Just slash scouting for one year, thats 8M saved right there
And dev. Actually he should slash those to zero right now.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Spending $65m on a IFA sounds like the dumbest thing I've ever seen in this league. And I've seen all of the Tankee trades.

doh

He will probably be the best SS ever seen in either of our two leagues, so it's worth it.
So the potentially best SS you've seen in 5 years is worth being in financial hell OR just trading everything you have to slash payroll? Yep, that's certainly a Tankee opinion.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
You guys are really unaware of the lack of good MIF bats. It's pretty much Noda and that's it in the league. 8.0 WAR a year is worth a one time 65m sum or whatever. He doesn't need FAs.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
So the potentially best SS you've seen in 5 years is worth being in financial hell OR just trading everything you have to slash payroll? Yep, that's certainly a Tankee opinion.
This is only a thing if budgets can go below payroll, and if his payroll is 65M then im almost positive they cant. He wont have to trade even one player, and will only be out of FA and IFA for two or three years if he keeps winning 70-80 games. He'll have to make the playoffs this year or it will take a bit longer

Wolfman21

Bugs gonna end up costing alot more than 65 million, i can almost guaruntee that. Lloyd said that he would be willing to pay 50 million, which will put him closer to 100 million. Insanity

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
But he only has to if someone else bids 49 million. in which case he might be trolling and then someone has to pay 94ish million for one guy.

Lloyd Carr

IVe signed like one (maybe two) FA since joining OOTP, and maybe one or two IFA (the scraps left over). This is money I dont ever spend. Id rather use it in this kind of situation to try and get some future leverge, than waste it on the excel spreadsheet.

doh

You guys are really unaware of the lack of good MIF bats. It's pretty much Noda and that's it in the league. 8.0 WAR a year is worth a one time 65m sum or whatever. He doesn't need FAs.
Yes 8 WAR/year is worth it. But this isn't 8 WAR/year. This is the chance of 8.0 WAR/year. I also doubt he will be that at SS with those defensive ratings.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Well Lloyd made 13M last year with $15 ticket prices, so I'm fairly confident he can up that to $27ish and get the same turnout. Probably will burn $20M-$25M of that debt this year

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Cash is a overall thing thougj it isnt a yearly deal with ootp, he makes a profit and whatever he makes over budget for one year cuts into the cash. It looks like what youre saying but thats not really how ootp treats it
It's not over budget, it's over expenses. In Lloyd's case, cash will be one of these expenses. For anyone with positive cash, it is a credit in your final balance.

Lets use the following as a model: 2044 revenue @ $117M and expenses @ $100M. Thats about a $17M profit, with a $10M cash surplus from the previous year. Balance is $27M. Is you assume revenues are the same this year and expenses are the same this year, then adding $80M in IFA expenses would put him at a loss of $53M. If he ups ticket prices $5 (+$15m in revenue) and cuts scouting and dev (-$15M in expenses) he would end the season about $23M in the red instead of $53M. He would start 2045 with -$23M in cash, but would likely make more than that in profit before the cash expense. He would be in ok shape and just take a budget hit that he would have to try to bounce back from.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
It's not over budget, it's over expenses. In Lloyd's case, cash will be one of these expenses. For anyone with positive cash, it is a credit in your final balance.

Lets use the following as a model: 2044 revenue @ $117M and expenses @ $100M. Thats about a $17M profit, with a $10M cash surplus from the previous year. Balance is $27M. Is you assume revenues are the same this year and expenses are the same this year, then adding $80M in IFA expenses would put him at a loss of $53M. If he ups ticket prices $5 (+$15m in revenue) and cuts scouting and dev (-$15M in expenses) he would end the season about $23M in the red instead of $53M. He would start 2045 with -$23M in cash, but would likely make more than that in profit before the cash expense. He would be in ok shape and just take a budget hit that he would have to try to bounce back from.

Go to the OOTP screen and look in expenses there is no cash. The profit and loss for a year is independent of cash, I'm sorry but that is just how it is. Then cash is tallied after the individual year is reconciled. You can keep arguing about it all you want but that is not how OOTP treats it.

doh

Yes and the huge, huge key is it used to be the owner would just add cash and put you to $0. Now it's different.

Last year I was well under budget (about $5m under). But my expenses were more than revenue so this year I started out -$14m and after revenue sharing as -$2m. So you can't just fuck yourself then have your budget go down and make money to get back into it. Now the cash hangs with you which really handicaps you.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Yes and the huge, huge key is it used to be the owner would just add cash and put you to $0. Now it's different.

Last year I was well under budget (about $5m under). But my expenses were more than revenue so this year I started out -$14m and after revenue sharing as -$2m. So you can't just fuck yourself then have your budget go down and make money to get back into it. Now the cash hangs with you which really handicaps you.

Actually you can. I did exactly that from 2040 to 2043.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Sorry I meant balance, not profit/loss. My model is still correct.

Well your application is wrong. I'm telling you how it applies to Lloyd's situation and he is probably only affected by this for 2 years, three at most. Cash is not the main ingredient, profit is. Yearly profit. Cash will mess him up this year, but he will also not be $50M in the hole going into next year. This is the only year he will show a loss, since cash is an overall thing and not a yearly thing.

doh

Actually you can. I did exactly that from 2040 to 2043.
I meant more over off-season like you could when owners would turn it over really quick. And you had a better team a Buffalo so you could count on playoff revenues and a higher fan approval or whatever rating.

I just don't get how someone can add $65m in IFA without significant cutting of payroll, player devo and scouting expenses and not have a giant drop in expenses. Revenues won't rise that much.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
@Lloyd Carr if you do sign him, just cut scouting to 0 or 4M, cut dev budget to 4M and increase ticket prices to 28. If you have a surplus of guys somewhere sell a few for some cash.

Lloyd Carr

Well, jd has a bid up there for ~$35-40M. I might just let him fall on the grenade and hope he fucks himself over and opens up the South.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I meant more over off-season like you could when owners would turn it over really quick. And you had a better team a Buffalo so you could count on playoff revenues and a higher fan approval or whatever rating.

I just don't get how someone can add $65m in IFA without significant cutting of payroll, player devo and scouting expenses and not have a giant drop in expenses. Revenues won't rise that much.

Because his ticket prices were $15, so yes revenues will rise a lot. He made $13M last year with those ticket prices and $10 more payroll.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Well your application is wrong. I'm telling you how it applies to Lloyd's situation and he is probably only affected by this for 2 years, three at most. Cash is not the main ingredient, profit is. Yearly profit. Cash will mess him up this year, but he will also not be $50M in the hole going into next year. This is the only year he will show a loss, since cash is an overall thing and not a yearly thing.
No, I just mixed up the line. Cash is included in the final balance, which carries over year to year. Max of $10M if positive, an infinite amount if negative.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
You aren't remembering this correctly at all.

doh

Because his ticket prices were $15, so yes revenues will rise a lot. He made $13M last year with those ticket prices and $10 more payroll.
Yes it might help a little but raising prices won't help that much. It'll push attendance down a little. Plus he could miss the playoffs. He made it to the second round which helps a lot with that $13m. Probably $8m or so of that?

And again: maybe this dude is really good. But there's not a sure fire 100% chance this dude is great (especially defensively).

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
No, I just mixed up the line. Cash is included in the final balance, which carries over year to year. Max of $10M if positive, an infinite amount if negative.

LAWD what I'm saying is it isn't factored into yearly profit/loss. Either way you're treating it like real life and the model OOTP uses to factor it in isn't like that. Someone in LC's position isn't really hurt too badly by this, someone in JD's situation is. The main thing is LC would show a season profit next year even if you don't think so, it is a 100% fact.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Yes it might help a little but raising prices won't help that much. It'll push attendance down a little. Plus he could miss the playoffs. He made it to the second round which helps a lot with that $13m. Probably $8m or so of that?

And again: maybe this dude is really good. But there's not a sure fire 100% chance this dude is great (especially defensively).

The 13M was only regular season. I didn't add playoff into the calc, and I don't think attendance would drop off much at all since he would change the prices in the off-season

Orlando

Utopia Moderator

Lloyd's attendance has been consistent for 3 seasons. Raising prices wont kill attendance and it will help a lot, not a little. It will likely give him another $15M in gate.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
The 13M was only regular season. I didn't add playoff into the calc, and I don't think attendance would drop off much at all since he would change the prices in the off-season
He made $17M total.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
LAWD what I'm saying is it isn't factored into yearly profit/loss. Either way you're treating it like real life and the model OOTP uses to factor it in isn't like that. Someone in LC's position isn't really hurt too badly by this, someone in JD's situation is. The main thing is LC would show a season profit next year even if you don't think so, it is a 100% fact.
You are saying exactly what I am saying.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
You are saying exactly what I am saying.

You were saying he wouldn't show a profit, which isn't the case. Unless you were saying he would show a profit by saying he wouldn't show a profit, in which case take a communication class

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I explained my error though. I wasn't in front of the game and confused the line items profit vs balance. Don't be a Lloyd.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I'll bring up what Buffalo makes after the season but I see their season profit around $20M this year at minimum (shed 10M in payroll and make another $10M-$15M in gate). Which means if he did go $50 in the hole, he'd make up $20 of that this season and go into next year $30M down at most. Same thing the next year and he's 10M down which isn't much at all. That's a sold player or two away.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I'll bring up what Buffalo makes after the season but I see their season profit around $20M this year at minimum (shed 10M in payroll and make another $10M-$15M in gate). Which means if he did go $50 in the hole, he'd make up $20 of that this season and go into next year $30M down at most. Same thing the next year and he's 10M down which isn't much at all. That's a sold player or two away.
Again, exactly what I said.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I explained my error though. I wasn't in front of the game and confused the line items profit vs balance. Don't be a Lloyd.

I didn't see where you said you were wrong, my b. I just saw where you said your model was correct. Financial model where cash is included in yearly profit/loss isn't correct and it makes a huge difference when looking at what lloyd is thinking about