• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

XCOM Enemy Within Dynasty (Now Interactive!)

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Hi all,
I'm starting to play XCOM Enemy Within and I want you to use Utopians as cannon fodder, err elite soldiers. This game is most awesome when you become attached to your individual soldiers. I'll be telling stories as I go.

First things first, I'm playing on "Normal/Ironman" difficulty. This means the difficulty is Normal and I only get a single save for the whole game (autosaves). No cheating and reloading if someone dies. This is mostly how I played the last version (except for the first few missions when I was just learning) and it makes the game more fun.

Anyway, I have the following roles that I like to use on my squad. If you'd like to be a member of my squad, let me know and I'll add you to the list. If you'd like any specific role, also let me know that and I'll see if I can make it happen.

Here are the roles I plan on using (the roles given by the game plus a couple versions of certain roles that I like).

Assault Shotgun - Door Kicker front line troop with heavy armor and mobility. You will most likely die in the first mission, but if you actually do manage to get promoted you become almost invincible.

Assault Flanking - You use a rifle instead of a shotgun and use more discretion in how you move. The big benefit here is that you can move a long distance and then shoot in the same turn, so you are used for flanking maneuvers. Once we develop mobility/invisibility armor you'll make use of that.

Heavy Weapons - Big guns, big rocket launcer, such wow

Support Cover - Traditional rifleman with increased movement and specializing in the use of grenades, smoke grenades, and suppression tactics.

Support Amberlamps - Medic specialty and I'll do my very best to hold you out of the brunt of combat, though you may need to pop up and finish off enemy units from time to time.

Sniper scout - You are a mobile sniper who moves with the squad and provides precision headshot capabilities and enhanced scouting abilities once you reach higher levels. You will make use of invisibility armor and locator beacons later in the game to spot the enemy before they spot us

Sniper long distance - You will basically suck early in the game as you cannot move and shoot in the same turn, but you are able to shoot longer distances (anything the squad can see and you have LOS on). In the end game you will be the most important weapon on the squad.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
So far I have:

Travis - Heavy Weapons
Thea - Long Distance Sniper (keep out of harms way, lol)
@kella - Support Amberlamps, complete with pink armor so everyone knows he's a medic
@Reel - Assault/Bullet sponge (you know it had to be this way)

Travis: (complete with bama bangs and coyote mange beard)
15559747948_8b4b53b52e_b.jpg

Thea: (why do all the women look so ball bustingly mad in this game?)
15560010427_0fc6de9708_b.jpg

Kella (Obviously the most accurate recreation, bearded kella is my favorite kella)
15125778273_d1ae59b918_b.jpg

Reel E Weird (Dat white armor for the assault class looks nice doe)
15560346970_52ee34f6f5_b.jpg

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
If you'd rather be a medic, I usually keep 2 on the squad at all times since they are pretty essential, so I'd still need another. If you'd like to be the flanking rifleman I could do that too. I've unlocked one more support (potential medic) but haven't unlocked a second assault soldier yet.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Is it feasible to do things like make everyone the same class for extra challenge? That's a pretty popular turn based strategy game thing

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Is it feasible to do things like make everyone the same class for extra challenge? That's a pretty popular turn based strategy game thing

Not really, the game assigns soldiers to general classes. You customize them as they improve by making choices as the skill tree unlocks (the difference between Support cover and support medic, for instance).

I've noticed you get a lot of support troops, so eventually you could probably roll with an all support team but it wouldn't be very fun since they are kind of medium at everything anyway. Having certain soldiers who are strong in some areas and weak in others makes you think more tactically.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I think I have enough soldiers for now, I'll post your guys as they become squadies (the level at which the game assigns them a class). I don't name recruits because I don't know what they'll end up being and they die a lot because I make them take risks in order to get promotions.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Some of you are going to get sex change operations, btw, because you can't change the gender of soldiers :laughing:

Also, we had our first Utopian KIA in a disaster of a mission. Reel (obviously he had to die first) was eviscerated by this preying Mantis looking dude. Reel wasn't advanced enough to have one of the most important assault traits, which is a reaction shot against enemies that get too close. RIP Reel, we hardly knew you.

I have unlocked laser rifles and some nano fiber armor shirts so survivability should increase against tougher enemies. This version is so much harder than the first version. I'm already outgunned, outmatched, short on money and time, and my soldiers are injured for WAY longer than before. I also have a shit ton of snipers, which blows because they are the least useful early game class and I generally only use one on a given mission. With Reel KIA, I currently don't have a single assault troop, which is a tactical disaster, as they are very important for being able to move and then shoot, and that comes in handy when you need to kill an enemy in this turn so they don't kill one of your troops.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Whenever a spot opens up I'd like one of the sniper spots, being useless for long periods of time only to finally become important sounds right up my alley​

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Here is the latest batch of Utopians:

Worst 2 First is styling in his pink heisenberg hat and pink medic uniform
15750170171_becb3af50d_b.jpg

Clint Martian is looking a bit feminine, but he/she's a support/cover class as requested
15753601052_621ceac8dd_b.jpg

Adchester the scout sniper (has actually been pretty clutch the last few missions, 7 kills in only 3 missions)
15750170091_6732ec707f_b.jpg

Yankee FSU Canes, also looking rather sexy. Tried to give you a faux hawk. Uniform will also be green but I forgot to change it before the screen shot.
15567236300_66ac8f5fde_b.jpg

The other requested classes haven' become available yet, but I'll update when some more rookies get promoted to useful soldiers. I've unlocked the ability to bring 5 soldiers along, so I can start bringing an extra rookie each mission.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Also, we went on an alien abduction mission and the "prize" was a new Shotgun Assault Sergeant. Strange things were afoot down in the labrotory, and now we have Reel E "Not Dead" Weird Zombie. @Reel with some fuck shit.

15750424181_fb6e4c70cf_b.jpg

We just shot down an alien ship, so it is time to go kill those bastards. This is the current squad, loaded for bear.

15750424231_97c7a08d90_b.jpg

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Well that was a pretty fucking abrupt end to the dynasty. After a brutal first month, I was forced to go on a bomb disposal mission in China (otherwise they'd panic and leave the league of nations). Worst got smoked and was in critical condition, so in trying to save him I neglected some of the bomb charging deals. I thought that "1 turn remaining" meant I had a full turn, not that it would fucking charge up at the end of the turn I was already in. Anyway, I thought I had time to disarm the bomb and save worst and I didn't. Thea, Travis, Worst, Reel, Adchester all died. That's too much death on my hands. I QUIT!

I'll prolly try a new save soon and let you know whats up. "Ironman" mode with a single save is brutal. One little fuck up with not understanding how the timers worked and I lost my 5 best soldiers and only had 5 total soldiers left, 3 of them rookies :( That's game over. Congrats to Yankee and Kella for surviving the slaughter, as they were in sick bay.

Starting dynasty from scratch :(

Last edited:

DHawkeye

Eterna Optimis
Bomb disposal missions suck major butts. Even terror missions are usually less of a pain (except for all the goddamn chrysalids).

One thing I might suggest going forward is to actually turn off Ironman mode, and simply police yourself when it comes to save scumming. Despite all the updates, XCOM still has its fair share of bugs, and the last thing you want is a brokedick save fucking up your dynasty 6 months into the game.

Also, have you taken a look at the Long War mod? It's even more ball-bustingly difficult, but it adds a ton of cool new features as well.

Anyway, keep bagging those X-rays, cause if Utopia doesn't do it, no one else will.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I talked myself off the ledge, lol. I'll continue with the mission like a good commander, guiding with my God-like mind from beyond the grave. After thinking about it more, I'm on the right track as far as research goes (new armor comes out in 1 day, satellite coverage is going well, have plenty of money, etc). I think things will get interesting for a while with more rookies thrown into the fire, but I was probably being over dramatic about not having a chance. I was just mad to lose so many important soldiers all at once, and the worst part was I already had 3/5 soldiers in the evac zone waiting on the last two and I didn't take off because I thought I had one more turn before the bomb blew.

In the future I think I will turn off Ironman saves and just self police. Dhawkeye brings up a good point, because I did have several crashes in my playthrough of enemy unknown and it wasn't a big deal because I only had to play through the same mission again, not start completely over.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
That's the part I'm kicking myself most about. Everyone but me and Worst were in the evac zone and ready to GTFO, but I made them wait. I KILLED MAH WIFE.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Well that was a pretty fucking abrupt end to the dynasty. After a brutal first month, I was forced to go on a bomb disposal mission in China (otherwise they'd panic and leave the league of nations). Worst got smoked and was in critical condition, so in trying to save him I neglected some of the bomb charging deals. I thought that "1 turn remaining" meant I had a full turn, not that it would fucking charge up at the end of the turn I was already in. Anyway, I thought I had time to disarm the bomb and save worst and I didn't. Thea, Travis, Worst, Reel, Adchester all died. That's too much death on my hands. I QUIT!

I'll prolly try a new save soon and let you know whats up. "Ironman" mode with a single save is brutal. One little fuck up with not understanding how the timers worked and I lost my 5 best soldiers and only had 5 total soldiers left, 3 of them rookies :( That's game over. Congrats to Yankee and Kella for surviving the slaughter, as they were in sick bay.

Starting dynasty from scratch :(

I was wrong in my recollection btw, Reel was injured before the mission and therefore did not die. @Clintmartian was the other soldier who died.

Anyway, I turned down some hard missions while I rebuilt some relatively experienced troops and that resulted in me losing a couple more countries, but I think I got shit relatively back on track now!

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Alright, we've been rolling lately and now we've got satellites up over all but 1 nation (I leave one uncovered so I keep getting easy landing/crash missions to boost stats until I get to the end game stages). Everyone is performing really well and I'm not behaving like an asshole commander, so no deaths in 4 straight missions.

Anyway, here are the new additions to the squad:

Fignuts: I gave him longer hair and some mangy beard because that's the fignuts look I prefer. The short haircut is too square for my tastes.
15606904510_6d3407165b_b.jpg

Soonerfan09 - Rocking that military tight haircut and the rapist/dew chugger mustache, as is Okie tradition
15793303612_4c134be4a7_b.jpg

Osick - had a sex change operation and dug worst's hat out of the graveyard and spray painted it red. It's a look.
15606904540_e230df2f2a_b.jpg

Fucking @Reel finally got promoted to captain and is currently our highest ranking officer, so he's been bossy AF lately. The one benefit of that is we can now take 6 soldiers into battle. Here is the squad as they look hard and pissed before their alien capturing safari mission. Reel may be the highest ranking officer... but I still send him to do all the grunt work, because he's reel, so he has the arc thrower and must get within 3 spaces of an alien to capture it. I recorded a "LETS PLAY" video of this mission and it is rendering now, so I'll upload it before I go to sleep and post in the mroing.

15791734745_a4b4667bcd_b.jpg

Soonerfan09

Really like the video. Watching you play should definitely help me out when I get around to playing Enemy Unknown. I played the tutorial mission a few months ago, thought it was pretty cool and loved turn based, small unit concept, but it's been sitting in my library ever since.

Glad to see all my hard training is finally starting to pay off. I've waited for this day for a long time.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Oh man, so I went on a mission that unlocked a heavy captain and his nickname was literally "Brick" @Brick. So obviously I named him "Secretary 'Brick' of H8." I love heavy weapons experts, so I was really pumped to use him. Unfortunately he was killed on his first mission in what was the first real coordinated flanking manuever I've ever seen the enemy make in this game. Brick did some damage during our turn but then the enemy hit him twice with what were probably low percentage shots. Brick was just very unlucky and became our first casualty in many missions, lol.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
NEED A NEW VOLUNTEER FOR SCOUT SNIPER, CAN'T REMEMBER WHO ASKED FOR WHAT!

I played a mission of XCOM tonight and will have a video uploaded and posted by tomorow so you can see urselves in action on a relatively simple (but failed) EXALT mission.
@osick87 , @fignuts , @Reel, @Yankee151 , and @Soonerfan09 were all on this mission!

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Sooner is a flanking assault and osick is heavy. I just got a captain sniper as reward for the previous mission and need a new utopian volunteer.