• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

World Cup - Round of 16 Thread

WingedHelmet

I thought Bedoya had a rough group stage like everyone else, but he played well today. Thought Cameron was Agoos bad though.

worst2first

hjGx5FT.jpg

fried rice

Who wants to sex Mutombo?
I'll preface this by saying that I don't watch enough soccer to know what I'm talking about, but...

Pretty good showing to make it to extra time in the round of 16 considering the modest expectations. Not sure what could've been improved tactically, but I'm not sure we have the midfield players of the right caliber, experience and playing style to hold more of possession on this level. If Bradley's playing poorly, making sketch passes and showing relatively poor first touch, then who else do we really have to count on? As it stood, more or less bunkering down and relying on defense, we were one modestly good strike from Wondo away from doing the same thing we did in the group stage.

Wuf

Desensitized and Willing
It was a valiant effort. When USA got down 2-0 I had resigned and they damn nearly tied it anyway. Gonna celebrate the freest freedom by smoking some joints I bought legally. Meanwhile assholes are still executing their women for driving. Solace.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I'm not really mad about the loss. I think we exceeded expectations in reaching the round of 16, and we could have easily won the game if Wondo wasn't the worst US striker since Robbie Findlay... But, overall, satisfied.

Biggest problem for the US squad was the lack of wingers. I don't know if their tracking back meant they couldn't factor in the attack (I doubt that, though), but they were invisible. Zusi had a couple of okay moments, but Bedoya was fucking terrible the entire tournament. I think if we had some better wingers, we could have beaten Belgium. We couldn't take advantage of their weakness back there.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I feel like we'll be good on Wingers, We'll be getting Nagbe, Green, Gyau, Gatt, and who knows who else will pop up in 4 years time. Onto the Gold Cup, let's clinch our 2017 spot

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Can't zelalem play for like 3 different countries?

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
That's what I thought. And he's got draxler and Kramer in front of him for Germany

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Draxler, Kramer, Werner, Meyer, Gortezka, to say nothing of Gotze, Muller, Kroos who will still be around for a long time.

Keith1212

Belgium was just worlds better. Bradley once again outside of 3-4 plays was terrible. I am so looking forward towards future national play. I don't know shit about our future prospects but I know that soccer is way more popular now then it was when I was growing up. There's gotta be better talent coming up right!?

Renegade

Charge on!
No updates on Zelalem since May, though his dad was seen wearing a US jersey recently. If the damned bureaucrats in DC will hurry up on his citizenship, I think he's ours.

We really need to be able to expedite that shit. Would have been nice to have had Andy Najar in the wing, no?

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
No updates on Zelalem since May, though his dad was seen wearing a US jersey recently. If the damned bureaucrats in DC will hurry up on his citizenship, I think he's ours.

We really need to be able to expedite that shit. Would have been nice to have had Andy Najar in the wing, no?

And Subotic at the back, but that's another story.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
We didn't do a whole lot of courting of Ibisevic either. Think he shanks that wondo shot? Nah b

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Well if we act like all the smaller euro nations and expedite a passport, sure

joshuahuskers

Utopia Football League
Howard will be 39. I don't know a lot about soccer, but that seems old to be playing internationally, even for a keeper. Guzan will be 33 in 2018, so that may be us only go at it as the first keeper.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I feel our biggest issue for 2018 is Howard will not be there. Do we have any other decent keepers?

Guzan is pretty solid in the EPL, although I don't think he's up to Howard's caliber at this point. We also have a bunch of young keepers in the MLS who could make the jump to a European league or become international quality. Howard could still be around in 2018, too. 39 isn't an unheard of age for goalies, too. I'm not particularly worried about our goalies at this point.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
We also have Cody Cropper, who's third string at Southampton right now. Might be someone to keep an eye on.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Yeah. If Howard is still starting at a club like Everton, he is probably still our best option at keeper. I think Guzan is good enough to replace him, but it might make more sense to go younger and build someone for the long term.