• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

World Cup Group A (BRA CRO MEX CAM)

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
RaggedPortlyDeinonychus.gif

ZeekLTK

We need @ZeekLTK up in here. Any chance CAF (or anyone) loses a spot at the 2018 World Cup?

I don't see how. I feel like the only thing that can happen is that CAF eventually gets more spots. They have more teams than any other continent, including Europe, so 5 spots is basically the bare minimum that you can give them in the first place. I feel like if they start having multiple teams reach the quarterfinals then they'll start getting more, but I just don't see how they can get LESS.

I mean, you had Ghana and Zambia (recent African Cup Champions) in the same qualifying group where only 1 could advance, and then you had Ghana vs Egypt (a team who has won multiple African championships in the past decade) for the actual spot in the World Cup, meaning one had to miss out. It's just so hard for Africa to even send it's 5 best teams because the top teams all have to knock each other out along the way. And then if they don't perform well, it is magnified.

If all Europe had sent were Spain, England, Portugal, Greece, and Bosnia-Herzegovina would we be asking whether they should lose their spot? Probably. But their poor performances get overlooked because UEFA also gets to send Germany, Italy, Croatia, Netherlands, etc. If Africa had also been able to send about 5-7 more teams, odds are that some of them would be impressive and no one would notice the ones who aren't. Cameroon lost 4-0 and Spain lost 5-1. What's the difference? The difference is that Egypt and Zambia aren't in the tournament to potentially come up with impressive wins for CAF whereas Germany and Netherlands are in the tournament for UEFA.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Cameroon lost 4-0 and Spain lost 5-1. What's the difference? The difference is that Egypt and Zambia aren't in the tournament to potentially come up with impressive wins for CAF whereas Germany and Netherlands are in the tournament for UEFA.

Really?

ZeekLTK

No but seriously, team who won 3 straight African Cups never got a chance to play in the World Cup because there weren't enough spots from their continent.

Team that hasn't won a Euro Cup since the mid-90s has played in every single World Cup since their last title because UEFA has so many spots it's hard for the good teams to NOT qualify.

If CAF had more teams, they would do better - it's just simple odds.

Chase

Cameroon lost 4-0 and Spain lost 5-1. What's the difference? The difference is that Egypt and Zambia aren't in the tournament to potentially come up with impressive wins for CAF whereas Germany and Netherlands are in the tournament for UEFA.

857368606.gif

NML

Africa has had four teams make the second round of the World Cup IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD CUP. Even since 98 when they've had five teams go, it's only happened twice. They have a 1 in 10 shot of advancing, basically.

I'm all for the progression of the game in crappy countries, but let's be real - African teams are just filler for this tournament. I'd gladly throw away Nigeria or Cameroon so Sweden and Ibra could be in this.

I doubt there's any big changes either way as far as how many qualify from each continent. If anyone has "earned" another spot so far, it's CONCACAF, but is Panama really any better than Cameroon? I think FIFA has done a pretty good job of making sure the countries that are worthy make it - another spot in any of the smaller confederations is just another team to be knocked out of the group stage after two matches. I'd be cool with taking away one African spot and giving it to UEFA, doe.

NML

And Africa's qualifying is terribly structured - that's not FIFA's fault, that's CAF. Egypt won every single match but one of their qualifying, yet somehow didn't make it?

Look at Asia for how to set-up ur qualifying

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
And Africa's qualifying is terribly structured - that's not FIFA's fault, that's CAF. Egypt won every single match but one of their qualifying, yet somehow didn't make it?

This. Ghana and Egpyt are probably the two best African teams ... and CAF's system is so fucked up that they played each other in the playoff round.

That said, it's not like terrible teams from CAF are making it into the tournament. The same teams qualify over and over, because they are the best ones. I mean, besides Egypt, what other African team do you want to see in this tournament? Personally, I don't want to take a team like Croatia or Bosnia out of the tournament for South Africa or Zambia or one of the Congos.

gilstein21

that's what I was going to say. I wasn't sure what their qualifying was like, but seems it sucks if the best teams knock each other out instead of advancing.

jdlikewhoa

Africa has had four teams make the second round of the World Cup IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD CUP. Even since 98 when they've had five teams go, it's only happened twice. They have a 1 in 10 shot of advancing, basically.

I'm all for the progression of the game in crappy countries, but let's be real - African teams are just filler for this tournament. I'd gladly throw away Nigeria or Cameroon so Sweden and Ibra could be in this.

I doubt there's any big changes either way as far as how many qualify from each continent. If anyone has "earned" another spot so far, it's CONCACAF, but is Panama really any better than Cameroon? I think FIFA has done a pretty good job of making sure the countries that are worthy make it - another spot in any of the smaller confederations is just another team to be knocked out of the group stage after two matches. I'd be cool with taking away one African spot and giving it to UEFA, doe.
Opaques are great athletes and as we've established, great athletes are terrible technical futballers. I say take all spots away from Africa

Renegade

Charge on!
With the performance of CAF and AFC at this tournament, need to reallocate a bid to UEFA. Take a .5 from each, let them face off, and give UEFA another full spot. At least CONCACAF has been solid.

ZeekLTK

So what are the result scenarios for this group?

Cameroon eliminated regardless.

Brazil can only be eliminated if they lose, and only if: a) the MEX-CRO game ends in a draw, OR b) BRA loses to CAM by 2 more than MEX loses to CRO (aka, if Brazil loses 0-3 and Mexico loses 0-1, Mexico advances and Brazil is out)

Mexico advances with a win or a draw, is eliminated with a loss (except like above, if Brazil somehow loses by 2 more than Mexico does)

Croatia advances with a win, would need Brazil to lose in order to advance with a draw, and is eliminated with a loss.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
It really bugs me when players commit an obvious foul and then bitch at the ref for calling the foul. Rakitic dives into a slide tackle, cleats showing, doesn't come close to getting the ball, and then complains when he gets a yellow. Hey pal, that could have easily been a red card. Just because you didn't mean to do something doesn't mean it's a foul. Stop your bitching.