• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

World Cup G (USA USA USA USA)

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
To the untrained eye, it may have appeared that way, but that was our plan all along. We were toying with them, to be honest. Trapping the trapper.

We didn't break out our best tactics for this match, obviously, otherwise Dempsey would have scored 30 seconds in. We wanted to give Germany a false sense of confidence moving forward while simultaneously getting rid of any bad luck/juju/refs before the knockout games. Bradley in particular is still playing possum, looking worse and worse each game, while waiting for my criticisms to pile up so he can make me look dumb all in one glorious performance.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
I counted on yanks-abroad.com the US has 11 players in Championship. None of which even made the US 23. :trollface:

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
If it does end up being Belgium in the next round.......

I like the matchup. Player for player, they're the more talented team. No question. But if you want to compare them to Portugal and Germany, they're definitely more similar to Portugal. Ridiculously good LW is the star. Striker is big and strong but not a world beater. RW is fast and flashy, but not as good as the LW. Attackers like to dribble and go at defenders 1-on-1. Midfield 3 is talented, can go box-to-box, can play physically or with finesse, etc. Belgium's back line and keeper are better than the defensive setup we saw from Portugal, though.

In other words, I think the setup and tactics we used against Portugal can be successful against Belgium as well.

I agree. I expect Fabian Johnson to be our most important player. We're going to want our fullbacks overlapping against their back 4 often. Johnson is going to need to be smart and attack but be able to get back and cover Hazard. I wonder if we might bring in Cameron into the right back position and let Johnson free on the left. Would also add some height in the back 4. Key battle will be on the wings. If we can stifle their attack there, I like our chances.

The real big question mark is how much intensity Belgium play with. Particularly Lukaku. If he's invovled in the game more than he has been in other games, that could be dangerous. Otherwise, Belgium will be restricted to long shots, which is fine by me with Jones and Beckerman protecting the back 4 and Howard back there.

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
I agree. I expect Fabian Johnson to be our most important player. We're going to want our fullbacks overlapping against their back 4 often. Johnson is going to need to be smart and attack but be able to get back and cover Hazard. I wonder if we might bring in Cameron into the right back position and let Johnson free on the left. Would also add some height in the back 4. Key battle will be on the wings. If we can stifle their attack there, I like our chances.

The real big question mark is how much intensity Belgium play with. Particularly Lukaku. If he's invovled in the game more than he has been in other games, that could be dangerous. Otherwise, Belgium will be restricted to long shots, which is fine by me with Jones and Beckerman protecting the back 4 and Howard back there.

I wonder if Wilmots will let Hazard cherry pick, a la Ronaldo, or if he'll want him coming back on D to help out. At Chelsea, Mourinho got him to be better and better about coming back to help. If he cherry picks though, it's a double edged sword for us. More room for Johnson and the mids to attack down Belgium's left, but also the possibility of a lightning quick Belgian counter.

Belgium will be rested and fresh though; that's for sure. They made what...7 changes for this game?

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I wonder if Wilmots will let Hazard cherry pick, a la Ronaldo, or if he'll want him coming back on D to help out. At Chelsea, Mourinho got him to be better and better about coming back to help. If he cherry picks though, it's a double edged sword for us. More room for Johnson and the mids to attack down Belgium's left, but also the possibility of a lightning quick Belgian counter.

Belgium will be rested and fresh though; that's for sure. They made what...7 changes for this game?

Yeah, that's sort of why I like Cameron at right back and Johnson at left back for this game. Cameron will stay at home more and we don't lose one of our most effective attackers in Johnson.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
One complicating factor (in a good way probably) will be if Altidore is back. If he plays, I wonder if we go back to the diamond ... which means our fullbacks attacking will provide most of the width.

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
Yeah, that's sort of why I like Cameron at right back and Johnson at left back for this game. Cameron will stay at home more and we don't lose one of our most effective attackers in Johnson.

That means no Beasley though, and he's been too good to take off. (shout out to @[user]OU11[/user])

Plus, Johnson is a little quicker and more agile than Cameron, which is important against Hazard. And Belgium could always move Hazard to the other flank and spoil whatever switches Klinsmann made to account for him.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
One complicating factor (in a good way probably) will be if Altidore is back. If he plays, I wonder if we go back to the diamond ... which means our fullbacks attacking will provide most of the width.

If this is the case play Clint instead of Bedoya and keep the rest as is.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I wouldn't mind that. It's basically what Teflon does late anyway. Cameron might be better outside anyway.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
That means no Beasley though, and he's been too good to take off. (shout out to @[user]OU11[/user])

Plus, Johnson is a little quicker and more agile than Cameron, which is important against Hazard. And Belgium could always move Hazard to the other flank and spoil whatever switches Klinsmann made to account for him.

Yeah, I mean it's more just trying to feel up Johnson to get forward than taking Beasley off. I'm guessing Klinsmann sticks with the same back 4 as against Germany, though.

Anyone being up Johnson at RM and Cameron at rb? Limit rb going forward but Johnson more opportunity of attacking Belgian weakness.

Wouldn't mind that at all.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
When did Omar stop sucking? He was pretty clutch today

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I'd sub on Teflon in the 60th and Green on in the 70th. FIFA style speed subs to take advantage of tired defenders.

I seriously do think it is a good idea to sub on young/fast players. They play well because they know nothing is really expected of them and they get to just run around like assholes hassling the opposition and causing problems.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
To the untrained eye, it may have appeared that way, but that was our plan all along. We were toying with them, to be honest. Trapping the trapper.

We didn't break out our best tactics for this match, obviously, otherwise Dempsey would have scored 30 seconds in. We wanted to give Germany a false sense of confidence moving forward while simultaneously getting rid of any bad luck/juju/refs before the knockout games. Bradley in particular is still playing possum, looking worse and worse each game, while waiting for my criticisms to pile up so he can make me look dumb all in one glorious performance.
@Travis7401 making a case to change his handle to Trappist7401.
rochefort460.jpg

Travis as a Trappist from Belgium. Note the beer thing on the right side.

Bdub

Why you guys like Timmy so much is beyond me. He has had 2 goals scored against him in 3 games that he could have saved. That isn't going to work.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
it was in your hands guys ... you could've done it, been praying that you guys actually do something.. you proved it against Germany and wasted a win in the bag cause of bad defending... your defense is horrible and costed you the draw with Germany and the loss of today, you did so well upfront had the ability to score goals all you needed was not to concede..just a solid defense and you would've been on top of this group... :/

so gyan also ready to fight journalist in mixed zone, and has to be held back?

Must be something in brazilian water because people are acting totally out of character.

total madness has infiltrated blackstars... it will take a long time to come back from this.

That's it. The government and black stars haven't been fair to Ghanaians. We are coming home. Germany did us a favour and we messed it up to add sore to injury.

say sack all the players who made a sticky out of not being paid. Obviously the GFA is broke and was waiting to be paid by FIFA. I wonder why this was not effectively communcated to the players instead of promising them the money in Brazil.
All players must go, along with the coaching staff and the management.

We need to start afresh with the talents who were not invited in the first place.

More...

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
They would've gotten out of other groups. It was the group of death, it happens. KPB and Muntari are surely gone for good, but they still have a young team as it is.