1. We have updated to a new version of XenForo. If you were using the "Kella" custom style, you need to switch to the Utopia or Alternate style. Do this in your user preferences.
    Dismiss Notice

Which version is the best for PS3?

Discussion in 'NCAA Football Discussion' started by Bruce Wayne, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Bruce Wayne

Bruce Wayne Well-Known Member

Team:
    Notre Dame
    My fatty ps3 finally shit the bed for good. Endless Electronics kept it running for two years after the first YLOD; now the damage is beyond repair. My new ps3 doesn't have the magical backward compatibility that I loved solely because it allowed me to play last last gen college football.

So, which last gen game should I get. I tried '09 and absolutely hated it. I'm leaning toward '14.

However, if these games are truly unplayable, let me know and I will begin searching the pawn shops for a ps2.

thanks.

2. Wooly

Wooly Well-Known Member

Team:
    Halifax
    Yeah, I have not bought this since 2009, and I am thinking I might buy a newer game (one for PS3 console) in case they don't really make them anymore in the future and I want to play some CFB. What is the best PS3 version, especially for running and defense...or is that a laughable question. Any glaring defects in any version, especially to dynasty and recruiting?

Bruce, I see 2013 PS3 listed for 10$.

3. Wooly

Wooly Well-Known Member

Team:
    Halifax
    Do any of the PS3 versions have some kind of off-season training, like in the old NCAA, where I can focus the development of my players?

4. Bruce Wayne

Team:
    Notre Dame
    LOL, I Reely thought I would get some feedback on this.

@Wooly I guess these games are so bad no recommendation can be made.

5. Reel

Reel Off dem Milds and dat Yak Community Liaison

Team:
    Saints
  6. Bruce Wayne

Team:
    Notre Dame
    @Reel does the PC have college football?

7. Reel

Reel Off dem Milds and dat Yak Community Liaison

Team:
    Saints
    @Bruce Wayne

no and probably wont ever.

my personal feelings are, while i may not be as well versed in the intracies of college fb like many of you, this used to be one of my favorite games simply b/c i could play as the hometown LSU Bayou Bengals and at one point, Southern University and other SWAC schools. But the game has just been lipstick on a pig for the better part of a decade and just wasnt interesting to me.

With PC gaming, i've started playing games I would've never been exposed to had I stayed strictly console. I love the pricing and overall the practically hassle free approach that comes with pc gaming. Sure, getting set up is probably the most difficult part, well at least it was for me, but i havent had any issues that couldnt be solved with a few google searches.

8. NavyHog

NavyHog Well-Known Member Utopia Moderator NCAA Moderator

Almost everyone that plays/posts about NCAA 14 on this site are on XBox. With that in mind I will give you my take on the game (I can't imagine that there is much difference between the 2). I would go with NCAA 14 for the following reasons:

- updated rosters. If you are interested in starting a dynasty with the real players there are still people updating rosters
    - dynasty play with more challenging recruiting. You can still get Top 10 classes every year, but the CPU AI makes it more challenging then it used to be. If you are in an online dynasty with 6-10 other guys it can be very challenging.

If you love college football, and have always enjoyed console college football (I have going back to my Sega Genesis days) then you will enjoy this. If you are a college football "purist" and pick at every real or perceived weakness of the game then you should avoid it. Personally I mostly play it for the online dynasty play with the opportunity to recruit and build 1 star teams into 6 star teams. The scouting, recruiting and molding my teams around a custom playbook are what keeps me interested and I enjoy the community aspect of the online dynasty by competing with friends.

bruin228 likes this.
  9. bruin228

bruin228 Madden Mobile Addict NCAA Moderator

Team:
    LEACH
    Yep, was going to say the same thing Navy.

@Wooly, running is the best on NCAA 14 but defense is not very good. Maybe try 12 or 13. There's nothing like the offseason training that you described, though people have been asking for it for a while.

10. worst2first

worst2first FDT

I think I'm going to look for a cheap copy of NCAA 14 and download some rosters just in case I get the itch to play some time in the future.

11. bjc

bjc Butt Naked Wonda

Team:
    OSU
    If you like defense at all... Buy '12. Or maybe '13. '14 is :turrible:

12. Bruce Wayne

Team:
    Notre Dame
    I like defense.

13. NavyHog

Well every version of NCAA Football is slanted towards the offense and I see no appreciable difference in any of the versions when it comes to defense. Basically it is hard as hell to stop a good user from getting 10 yards in 3 downs.

With that being said it is possible to play good defense against another user, but it takes a lot of reps/user games to figure out what works for you.

14. worst2first

worst2first FDT

Let me through a little twist in there: which version is best for coach mode? I'm not a thumb jockey.

fignuts likes this.
  15. bjc

bjc Butt Naked Wonda

Team:
    OSU
    Hey, so do I!

'11, '12, and maybe '13 are your best bets. Personally I'd go with '12. That's the last version of the game that a lot of the old guys played. Travis, Spiker, and others were still playing it until EA released a game-breaking patch, lol. (It was later fixed.)

Of course the people that still play NCAA '14 are gonna tell you to get that, and you will probably have fun with it, but it's atrocious on the defensive side of the ball. If you don't trust me about that, go for it. Defense is just at a massive disadvantage, and for online play that's just too much for me.

Well I don't know about you but I considered myself a boss on defense and then once people figured out everything that really worked well my defense went to shit no matter what I did. I mean when you play Tampa 2 on third and 30 and the opponent gets the first down on a curl or deep out, something is seriously fucked up.

Plus I kinda got fed up with my QB missing every pass and only completing INTs in that one game. That was seriously the breaking point if there was ever one.
    Heh, you will have to go back to an older title for that I believe. I could be wrong but I believe in reading up on coach mode stuff that the consensus was that an older iteration was good for coach mode.

You can probably find more reliable info on OS. That's where most of the coach mode guys are.

16. TXHusker05

TXHusker05 Well-Known Member NCAA Moderator

Team:
    Nebraska
    I would agree with Navy, I see zero difference between the recent versions. I've given up 0 and 6 points in my last two user games in Bottom Feeder, but I also gave up like 5 billion yards to Best in Powerhouse in a game I won something like 67-50. You can play great defense, but you have to practice it and adapt and frankly, you have to guess, a lot. If you just sit back and try to react, you're going to give up 500 yards. You have to guess, pick up on tendencies and try to force a mistake. Sometimes you'll whiff, sometimes you'll succeed. But honestly, whiffing while taking a risk and just sitting back and trying to react will result in the same outcome so why not try to risk it?

Yes, defense is at a disadvantage, but as the CFB Discussion thread on the other side of the forums shows, defense is at a disadvantage in actually football too. That doesn't excuse some of the bullshit that happens, like safeties just not backing up and all of that, but it isn't any worse for 14 than it was for 13, 12, etc.

Every version of the game has had its quirks. Habib, in your case, a lot of the stuff you did on defense in '13 worked because it took advantage of programming quirks in the game that year, not necessarily because it was sound defensive strategy. '14 has different quirks but you kept trying to do the exact same stuff as the previous version.

Against me, you would always try to widen and walk down safeties so they would be in a position to both get back to cover the pass but help in run D. In '13, that worked because the offense had no way to stress the perimeter. Jet didn't work, bubble screens didn't work, now screens didn't work, speed option didn't work and route mirroring was so prevalent that DBs could line up out of position and still cover outside routes like Corners. In '14, the offense can do all of those things successfully. All the screens work great, Jet works well, Speed Option works well and route mirroring doesn't really show itself much. That forced you to actually keep guys out of the box to cover those receivers... in turn freeing up the interior run game which you weakened by manually spreading your safeties so wide. Once the back got to the second level, he was gone because your safeties weren't home.

Again, not really excusing the game and trying to claim that defense is competent, but it isn't impossible. You just have to figure out the quirks and play on the strengths of your personnel. I should also say that defense in online lobby play is useless. In OD play with adjusted sliders, it's salvageable.

17. bjc

bjc Butt Naked Wonda

Team:
    OSU
    Ugh.

lolz dude I didn't do stuff that took advantage of programming. It was more sound defensively than a lot of the crap everyone else runs, and I made it work by playing really good pass defense.

In '14 I had more success running stuff that was not sound and/or "took advantage of a quirk" in programming than I did running realistic defenses, and that got me nowhere. Neither strategies really did anything for me.
    Let's also not pretend that half the shit people do on offense is even remotely realistic, brah.

I have no problem with people playing NCAA and if you guys have fun on '14 great, have at it. I just don't get why anyone that has a negative opinion of '14 is met with, "well basically you sucked at the game and got tired of losing." The game is decent offensively. It is anything but decent defensively and I don't see why on earth you even attempt to compare defense in this game to real life. Hell, I don't know why you compare anything in this game to real life.

You could burn me in '13 the same ways you could this year, but people got stubborn last year (and this year, if I got lucky) because they weren't bailed out by overpowered-as-fuck run blocking so they resorted to just panicking and throwing under pressure. Of course I widened my safeties though I mean by default they are usually not lined up properly. I also think saying that all of that stuff you list as not working is a little misleading because, aside from now screens occasionally, all of those worked relatively okay. Safeties have to widen out anyway to account for the slot receivers in a spread set, yet I don't see runningbacks getting ten yards a carry against a two-high look in real life. It's strange how real life is so different from the game... Oh wait.

Come on you can't compare this garbage to real life with a straight face and you know it. It's okay to acknowledge that the defense in this game is garbage.

It's also not like I couldn't stop people, either. I had my share of holding people to 10 points or less. It's just that I got tired of the same crap happening over and over again. It's not a coincidence that each year several (n)Utopians put the game down.

Anyway, to get back on topic, '12 would probably get my vote but I haven't played as long as you older utopians have.

18. Bruce Wayne

Team:
    Notre Dame
    I'll add a little more information:

i dont play on line and I don't coach mode. Basically I just play dynasty against the computer. I like the game to seem as reel as possible, but I am able to suspend reality; knowing that this is a video game after all. Also, I am not very good at the game, despite having played it for decades, Heisman is a no go for me. I prefer to play with heavy recruiting restrictions and tilted sliders on Varsity.

19. NavyHog

In that case I would go with NCAA 14. As I noted earlier the recruiting is more challenging and more realistic (well as realistic as a video game can be!).

20. Bruce Wayne

Team:
    Notre Dame
    Is the training as long and laborious as the other ps3 versions?