• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Where Players come from...

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Last year I did it by WAR, since I can't by WAR search I'll do it by VORP this year. Looking at the top 25 pitchers and hitters and where they came from.

I tried search but couldn't find my post from last season. Could someone help a brother out? That's why I'm starting this thread because I couldn't find the original one and this will be easier to track.

Going to try and do this ever year.

2045 Pitchers

Originated

Draft - 13 (1st Round -9, After 1st - 4)
IFA - 7 (Over $1m -4, $1m and under - 3)
Original 2033 players - 5

How were they acquired?

Homegrown - 5 (all drafted)
Trade - 18
FA - 2

2045 Hitters

Originated

Draft - 8 (1st Round -6, After 1st - 2)
UDFA - 1
IFA - 13 (Over $1m -8, $1m and under - 1, auto - 5)
Original 2033 players - 3

How were they acquired?

Homegrown - 10 (drafted - 4, IFA - 6)
Trade - 13
FA - 2

Notes:

-- The only 2 FAs were part of last year's awesome class (Gonnet and Vajarov)
-- Dermott McHeshi is the UDFA player. He was signed to a MLFA deal then traded in 2037
-- OG players: DLS, Stuut, Vajarov
-- Non 1st rounders: Yazici (2nd) by Moscow and Aguirre (3rd)
-- Props to Amsterdam for signing Darrach to a $91k IFA deal
-- The CPU did give some insane IFA deals back in the day... one of them that is interesting is Gilleland on Buffalo signed for $9m in 2034 and is still with them
-- Kabul had the most homegrown guys

Last edited:

doh

Hitters came from:
Auto IFA - 7
IFA "big" ($1+m): 4
IFA "low" (under a mil): 1
Draft (1st Round): 12
Original (2033 player, unknown): 1

Hitters joined WBL club:
Homegrown - 9
Trade - 14
FA - 1

Random notes...
-- Brandock was the only FA in the top 25 as well as the only original player in it
-- One player was via a pre-CPU trade, one was released by a CPU
-- Ivan Ruiz was the only small IFA signing
-- 9 of the top 11 were in varsity.

Pitchers came from:
Auto IFA - 1
IFA "big" ($1+m): 5
IFA "low" (under a mil): 1
Draft (1st Round): 11
Draft (lower than 1st): 3
Original (2033 player, unknown): 4

Pitchers joined WBL club:
Homegrown - 9
FA - 1
Trade -15

Random notes...
-- Robles was the only auto IFA and he was released quickly by Panama City and then signed by the CPU to a MLFA contract.
-- Donald MAson was a 4th round pick
-- Jung-sik Kim was a 2nd rounder as was Carlos Goodwin
-- Fernando Soto was at a million for his IFA and signed by a user (@Orlando)

doh

Is it possible for you to move that post up? I don't know how this stuff works but if you could move my 2044 post before my 2045 that'd be cool

doh

2046 Hitters

Originated

Draft - 9 (1st Round -6, After 1st - 3)
UDFA - 1
IFA - 15 (Over $1m -7, $1m and under - 0, auto - 8)

How were they acquired?

Homegrown - 14
Trade - 11
FA - 1

Notes
-- Again McHeshi is the UDFA
-- Lynam was a 10th rounder then a MLFA
-- Alchemist Cottrell was a $15.6m IFA by the CPU
-- Mwangata was a 11th rounder
-- Only FA was Mad Hatter

doh

Decided to bring this back for the 2049 year...

2049 Hitters
Originated

Draft - 11 (1st Round -5, After 1st - 6)
IFA - 14 (Over $1m -5, $1m and under - 1, auto -8)
Original 2033 players - 0

How were they acquired?

Homegrown - 5 (5 IFA, 4 Draft)
Trade - 15
FA - 0
MLFA - 1

*Seoul had the two top WAR players as auto IFAs. They had the third as a 13rd Rd pick...
*Who was Ronald Riggs. He was released by Seoul and the only MLFA
*Mwanga was a 11th Rd Pick
*Zo was acquired in a CPU trade
*Noda was a $13m CPU IFA
*Bert Lyman has had a crazy journey: 10th Rd pick by Dublin during CPU days, released 3x, MLFA signing by Amsterdam then traded

2049 Pitchers

Originated

Draft - 9 (1st Round - 6, After 1st - 3)
IFA - 13 (Over $1m -8, $1m and under - 1, auto - 5)
Original 2033 players - 0

How were they acquired?

Homegrown - 4 (drafted - 2, IFA - 2)
Trade - 20
FA - 0
MLFA - 1

*Corbishly the top WAR player signed for just $212k in our first IFA by Cairo
*Rivas was a 2nd round pick, Mason 4th Rd
*Cheap IFAs I got: Francisco Colon $472k, Mobbs $330k, Sergio Garcia $81k
*Robles was a MLFA by CPU

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
It's very significant because it marks a shift in how new talent is distributed; from predominantly towards the weakest teams to those who can spend the most. Two of my best prospects were signed as IFAs while I was still competing. When a competitive team's budget is so high that they can field a full ws quality roster and blow 40m in IFA after penalties with just a small slap on the wrist, it's a problem, as the weak team can only spend 10m on IFA and is locked out of top tier talent.

If 27 of the best 50 players in the league are coming through this way, that means that over half of the best new players are simply unavailable to small market teams (who aren't hyper tanking like me), so who needs a Top 5 pick when you can grab two for the same price in IFA?

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
You guys are being stupid. Stop using ootp15 to support your assertions. Any team that competes and tries to compete for an extended period of time will end up budget strapped like myself. I cant compete for any good ifas i have to get bottom of the barrel guys. As we work through seasons in 16 that's what will happen

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
We'll see. As it is I have no hard solutions so I'm just rabble rousing for no reason, I won't say told you'll so when we have to switch to Spacetopia.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Nobody knows for sure, but to keep your core together you'll have to pay multiple guys 15+ if youre a true contender. Look at the top teams around the league right now, who among them wont end up cash strapped if they try to compete for 5 years? That's the whole reason for the 5 year max for arb buyouts, those second contracts have been fixed in 16. In 15 you could get guys through arb and their prime for way less than market value, not anymore. Sure arb is cheaper than it should be but that isnt the end of the world when it is limited to 5 years. That's only one or two FA years max.

Even then that's not a good deal for most, most of my guys arent signing for more than 3-4 years anyway.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I just think in 5 seasons all of this will be priced in. Were on year 3 of 16 iirc and only two offseasons have been a part of that. Before i change anything without copious tests (which i just dont want to do) i want to see what all of this looks like when the finances mature

doh

There's tons of value in finding guys who signed '15 extensions right now... Look at what I had to pay Dean Juarez 5/68... in '15 that's a 5/45 deal at most.

Look at the extensions signed in '16 for good players:
Noda signed for 21+M/year and for a long time. Scott Bell 18m/year. Lynn 15m/year. Okada about 23m/year. Enquist 17+m/year. Weber 14m/year. Ping Marroquin 14.5/year. Robles 25m/year.

There are others but a lot of those guys are signed well beyond their primes. We're going to see some horrific contracts in a few seasons.

doh

2050 Results...

2050 Hitters

Originated

Draft - 12 (1st Round -9, After 1st - 3)
IFA - 13 (Over $1m -5, $1m and under - 1, auto -7)

How were they acquired?

Homegrown - 10 (5 IFA, 5 Draft)
Trade - 11
FA - 3
MLFA - 1

*Davies is a huge outlier: only small IFA and one of three FA
*Hamiid/McBride of Amsterdam are the top two Draft/Devo guys in WAR
*Ronald Riggs: 13th Rd pick then MLFA
*Two catchers who signed a monster deal (Vis) and a tiny deal (Maurice) are the other two FAs.

2050 Pitchers

Originated

Draft - 10 (1st Round - 9, After 1st - 1)
IFA - 15 (Over $1m -6, $1m and under - 4, auto - 5)

How were they acquired?

Homegrown - 3 (drafted - 1, IFA - 2)
Trade - 20
FA - 1
MLFA - 1

*Top 3 players all entered with FBay without them having to think. Kasib-obvious 1-1, Naka IFA before we started, Fernandes auto IFA.
*Rivas was a 2nd round pick and the only player not in the first round
*Redbeard Collins was the only Draft/Devo
*Colon was the top IFA/Devo
*CPU signed MLFA: Raul Robles
*Rat was the only FA in the top 25 (and that's why I liked that deal)
*4 1st overall picks: Redbeard, Kasib, Last Resort, Rat

Some other random notes....

-- 35 players were human decisions (i.e. not auto IFA or pre-2038 guys).
-- Amsterdam I believe led everyone by grabbing six of those guys. I noticed a few KW and Cairo too.
-- Of the 15 auto guys, I believe Seoul leads with 4 including Carrier, Noda, Cncio and Tsao.

doh

I added up all the results of the five seasons I've done... some general observations:

-- Only 4 of a possible 125 slots from under $1m IFA's for hitters. Although late round hitters (after 1st) has gone from 5 in 44-46 to 9 the last two seasons.
-- Hitters has been pretty even between IFA/Draft. You just have to spend in IFA or hit an auto.
-- In terms of getting a hitter, only 6 of 125 spots have been FAs and 3 were this last year. Riggs has gotten 2 slots as a MLFA.
-- The only UDFA to be in either was McHeshi.
-- 53% of hitters were acquired in a trade vs. 77% of pitchers
-- It's 100 slots for pitchers because I didn't do 2046...
-- 8 under $1m IFAs for pitchers of 100 much higher than hitters.
-- The scale has tilted towards IFAs over the years for pitchers.
-- Much less auto IFAs than hitters (17% vs. 28%)

Just random stuff. Maybe it doesn't mean anything since I cut it off at 25 but obviously the best way is to have 1st round picks or spend big in IFA... seems like everything else won't get you a top 25 player.

doh

WAR. I used to like VORP more for pitchers but have gone WAR I think 3 of 4 times.

doh

Bump... It changes when by 50 but Looking at it in the order, lots more guys by FA now since the economics have changed are in that top 25. It used to be no one. Now it's rather easy to get a top 25 WAR guy in FA IMO.