• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Week 8 presented by Dollar Shave Club

Bdub

How I am feeling tonight.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
You and me both.

Wooly

Clear running back. :thumbsup:

All he'd need is a leather helmet and it'd be Nirvana, amirite?

Absolutely, who doesn't love George Clooney?
leatherheads-movie-clip-screenshot-football-in-1925_large.jpg

Stanford is fun to watch because of how they use their OL. That so called "ogre" formation is the funnest thing going right now. That look on the defense when they realize that they know the play is coming, but they simply don't have enough guys to block them. They could bring in all their DL reserves and not be able to match up. Of course Stanford used lots of looks, even plenty of shotgun, and they have some speed and deep threats, but most of what they do revolves around their OL: pulling lineman, running between the tackles, PA pass after you try and load the box. It's their use of the OL that makes them good, and somewhat unique, and of course fun!

Funny article about them, Stanford is slowly eliminating all non-offensive line positions from football

Good quotes from this article that really sums it up, Ogres, elephants and monsters: The Stanford O-Line :

And once Stanford's offense gets rolling, it's hard to stop — quite literally. Shaw's eyes light up as he describes one of his favorite parts of a game: When Stanford has a late lead, and he knows his guys are going to run the ball and the opponent knows they're going to run the ball — and they methodically march down the field anyway. "There's something to be said for that," Shaw says.

"What's really neat is at the end of the games, when our guys are making calls and the defensive linemen have heard it maybe 20 times and they shake their heads," Bloomgren says. "You see the body language. 'No more.' Teams want no more.

This has been destined ever since the day Shaw signed his 2012 recruiting class and dubbed it "one of the best offensive line classes in modern football history."

Headlined by Murphy and left tackle Andrus Peat — both five-star recruits — the class included five other offensive linemen, four of them considered four-star players by Rivals.com.

"There are going to be lean years," Shaw says. "There are going to be a years here or there that there aren't a ton of high-GPA, high-test score offensive linemen, just like every position. When they're there, we've got to take as many as we can and not worry about how many. For us to take six three years ago, hey, we had to do it.

"We've been kind of preparing for this year, knowing this was an outstanding recruiting class. We've got to get these guys ready to play. … I don't anticipate it being the smoothest transition in the world early in the season. I anticipate mid-season we'll be very good. I anticipate next year, we'll be as good as anybody in the nation. We need them to be. They have to be. They were recruited to be. They've got it in them."

Two 5 star and four 4 star offensive lineman in one year, and then all the development they get at Stanford, instead of just playing patty-cake in some Air Raid system. They get to pull, trap, downblock, etc. This is why they are good. They emphasize the OL and TE, get a few key players at QB and WR, and recruit smart players. It's fun to watch.

Incidently, McCaffery gets about half his touches from non-traditional positions. He's not really a RB, and from the games I have seen he doesn't line up as one half the time either. Much different than the other Stanford "backs" of the past decade, but you simply have to use him with how insanely effective he is.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Hope Washington State beats their ass. Furd is the worst team to watch in college football.