• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

WBL Season Wars -- Peder Strikes Back

jdlikewhoa

A max to vesting options might be a better way to go. 25 isn't a bad number, but I feel like someone did 30 games for a starter? That's a bit high since you could probably just skip two starts and not qualify.

He's within the 20% increase on the option year though, so it's structured correctly. I think I might prefer if we did 20% of the average salary of the guaranteed years...

Currently, you could jump one year up a lot and then add in one or two option years at a high amount. This is exaggerating, but you could structure it $30m/$2m/$2m/$35m TO/$35m TO with no intention of paying the option years. But a player is seeing $104m/5 years, when in reality it's $34m/3. A $40m/4 year deal with no options is probably the better offer, but I don't think it would ever be accepted.
FWIW I don't know what the in game limits are but it won't let you structure a contract like $30/$2/$2/$35.

NML

Like I said, that was exaggerating. I used the heavy year first because I see a lot of guys go front-loaded because they have the cap space.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
16 has better logic. Players look at options years differently, but I do think vesting options are kind of a cheat since there is no buyout. Sometimes the player asks for them though.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
"Given the option value and the buyout amount, the player will estimate the likelihood that the team will actually exercise the option. So if you offer a deal that's 1 year/5M with a 10M option, he will try to figure out how often that option will come into play. If he thinks it's a 50/50 whether it's accepted, then he will essentially value the deal as a "1.5 year"/10M contract offer.

Vesting options work in a similar way - the player estimates the chance that the vesting option will vest. So if you set a vesting option for 800 PAs, he's going to ignore it completely, but 400 PAs he'll try to figure out the odds that he'll hit the 400 PAs to trigger it.

Now I don't want to give away all our secrets,but pre-FA guys have also been tweaked. I've gotten rid of my traditional "Give them their arbitration estimate for 3-4 years, and now I have a young guy who will be a superstar for a ridiculously cheap deal" (on a side note, in my game I signed a guy who's now won multiple MVP awards and is a consistent .300 hitter with 30+ HRs to a 10 year deal worth 2.5M per year. He won't accept a deal like that in 16). Arb or pre-arb guys will essentially ballpark their value, so if you want to sign a guy to a 3 year deal, he'll try to figure out roughly speaking what he'd get in arbitration over that time, and won't sign a deal for much less than that."

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Robles confused the heck out of me. I had the highest remaining offer on the table for like 4 years, 20 per. Then last sim he asked for 1 year, $23 mil.

I figured the OOTP logic didn't play the one year rebound contract game, but I wasn't positive. Ended up offering him two years high AAV, figuring someone would get him with a 3 year deal. Glad it was Travis, though.

He was asking for 1 year at $8M for me.... Must have REALLY wanted to play in the sphere. I didn't want Wolfman to get him, so I offered 30M and 25M since I'm done with IFA for the next two seasons, then he's down to a team friendly $14M option when I'm back in IFA (or I cut him if he sucks).

Lloyd Carr

He was asking for 1 year at $8M for me.... Must have REALLY wanted to play in the sphere. I didn't want Wolfman to get him, so I offered 30M and 25M since I'm done with IFA for the next two seasons, then he's down to a team friendly $14M option when I'm back in IFA (or I cut him if he sucks).

Apparently he reely didn't want to play in Buffalo anymore.

I guess he forgot he had VERY HIGH loyalty.

Wolfman21

Damn, I got you shook that bad? Just the mere mention I MIGHT get involved got this man throwing cash out the window. Have you seen my rotation? Why would I spend that much money on a #4 or #5?

Lloyd Carr

VERY HIGH loyalty cuts both ways, you didn't extend him so he was pissed at you.

I tried three times.

He bailed on his PO. He denied his offer before FA. And he denied my FA offer.

And it isnt like I massively undercut him. The pre-FA offer was better than my FA offer, and my FA offer wasnt bad.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I tried three times.

He bailed on his PO. He denied his offer before FA. And he denied my FA offer.

And it isnt like I massively undercut him. The pre-FA offer was better than my FA offer, and my FA offer wasnt bad.

He sees where ur team is headed then. He has that good taste to see the riggers are headed towards DOMINANCE with their well controlled budget and talented youth system.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
I've never posted about it but VO's are a way to screw the game royally. You don't have to pay 20% of the TO. If your team is awful and you don't want to keep a guy, you can bench a good player for the end of the year/not let a SP start/etc.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Plus if they don't vest, you still get an exclusive negotiation period.

Naz is on a VO, by his choice, and I was scared I would lose him because it's 160 innings. Then I learned you still get s chance to extend them.

ZackMills

Have mercy
You see he won the Championship, @Reel? All those promising players you drafted won it for him, make sure he knows who put that team together...

I asked @Reel if he was looking at the OOTP posts I was tagging him in and he said no. I said there was big news, he said okay, and the convo ended at that. The least I expected was a congratulatory post.

I credit the move to San Francisco.

Had to remove that Crawdad stank from the organization.

ZackMills

Have mercy
I'd say the following played a role last year that @Reel drafted/acquired:

Desi (CF), Fred (1B), Dave (SP), Zayd (SP), Garcia (SP), Zhong (RP). All were top 5 first rounders except Zayd (high 2nd round) and Zong (high 4th round).

Rob Stares he didn't acquired, but kept around. Doyle Britton (2nd round) was a draftee that was pretty shitty last year, but I still have hope for turning it around. Two or three other Reel guys got a cup of coffee on the CHAMPIONSHIP team.